Kuala Rompin

Mahseer

Yes I know it isn't in Thailand but has anyone been fishing off Kuala Rompin which is east coast of peninsula Malaysia?

April is start of the season for sail fish and I fancy paying a visit. I am presently talking to these lads: www.hook-line-sinker.net/kuala_rompin.htm

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Now before I write anything here I would like to point out that I would be far happier pulling out a 5lb barbel from a fast flowing stream than I would a 500lb marlin from any ocean. I am not a sea fisherman and only went to Kuala Rompin as I had just retired and fancied a couple of days fishing for something I knew little about in this case sailfish. I would also like to point out that I had never previously fished with the below mentioned.

Traveled to KR on Wednesday and was met on arrival at KL LCCT by Anthony who is essentially the company I mentioned in previous post. He drove us the 4.5hrs to KR and we arrived just in time for several beers and a plate of rice. Nice start. We stayed at the KR riverside chalets which were fine and were 20 mts from the jetty. There is a 4 star hotel in town but by all accounts 2 of the stars are self awarded although I never visited but for sheer convenience you cannot beat the chalets.

We met at 0700 for breakfast and departed the jetty at 0800 with the addition of a local boat driver. Arrived at the first fishing spot at 0840 where we set about catching some bait which on this day was straight forward. Now if I knew anything about sea fishing and the creatures within I would list names of bait fish but from what I recall creasy / yellowtail and horse mackerel were what we were after especially the latter. Didn't take long to pull up enough to get the sailfish rods out (2 total) but the intended target proved elusive and we only managed to catch one all day which I was accredited 40kgs and entirely pleased with myself. We were back at the dock by 1800 for more beers and rice but this time in KR itself with is a small town pf maybe 10,000 but includes a fine example of a striped marlin displayed in the centre of town but unfortunately this particular species isn't found in KR but nice touch eh. Do need to mention that through the day that baits were hit by gar fish as long as your arm which were not welcome and also mackerel but as we were not using wire trace we never managed to land one of these which is a shame as apparently they do slot in very well alongside the rice and beers.

Next day was repeat of previous day but activity was very slow and we even the bait fish were hard to come buy and never did manage to land a second sail fish.

First day fishing we was one of 2 boats out and the other lad caught a 60kg sail fish and a cobia (had to look that one up). Second day out we were one of 6 or 7 boats and only one sail fish between the lot of us which by all accounts is highly unusual but I'll gladly take the blame here. Day I was leaving (Saturday) I counted 16 boats heading out and at least half were full of Singaporeans who had made the 4 hour run up the east coast the previous evening. According to Anthony Sunday would have been similar number of boats out as is the norm for the entire season which runs from late March through to November. Apparently Singaporeans are as interested in table fish as sailfish and word was that one of the boats on day 2 pulled in 14 mackerel to 8kgs.

I'll try one picture then add more if this works out.

post-30115-1241917577_thumb.jpg

According to Anthony the single most number of sails pulled in one day is 32 and this was during September which is peak season and extremely busy but thankfully sailfish are completely catch and release.

I plan on revisiting for not for a while as I have a house being completed in June and need to be around but if anyone fancies making up a boat in September (max 4 anglers) I am certainly interested in splitting costs.

Enjoyed it.

Great review.

How much would you say it would cost to go... flight / chalet / fishing charter??.... See if I can budget for it...

SJC, I went on my own so all costs were obviously down to me but if 4 people went and fished from the same boat then only additional cost would be the chalets which are 1500 baht per persona night and maybe some minor additions but to me 2 anglers per boat would be ideal as you can only get 2 rods out. Basic package as I done was 66,000 baht but this would increase to only 70,000 for 2 but if you shared a room (there are 2 beds) then the cost would be about identical. I flew Air Asia from Chiang Mai which added 8,000 baht. Costs included transportation from KL to from KR / accommodation at chalets / all meals / all boats fees / guide fees / all fishing equipment. Only additional expenses I had was for beers which in KR are expensive at 140baht for a large one.

If you get tempted around mid / end of July let me know and maybe I'll be able to get away but I think a 3rd day fishing would be wise just in case you hit a dud day as I did but I didn't ask what an extra day would cost. Also from what I saw best option would definitely be to arrive Sunday night or Monday / fish mid week / get out before the weekend rush.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Just to add that I am booked up to revisit in September. 4 anglers / 3 days fishing / 4 nights at the chalets / all food + fishing equipment + transportation from KL included. Total: US $2,944.

Will report back how we get on.

(Edited due to can't spell worth a shat)

Edited by Mahseer

• 3 months later...

This will be the last time I mention Kuala Rompin here but just back in Chiang Mai after 3 of us spent 4 nights at the previously mentioned chalets and 3 full days fishing for sailfish on the 14-16th.

Day 1 was slow with just 2 fish landed and 2 others lost which no doubt was down to the sheer mass of bait fish that were around. Day 2 was 4 fish landed and 2 lost and day 3 was wonderful with 9 fish landed and 3 lost which included a triple hook up which was frantic as the fish were heading in all directions and the boat couldn't move to assist any of us. Eventually lost one of the fish and the other 2 were safely landed. Smallest sail was 20kgs and the largest 50. Method of catching varied from the usual laying out of 2 lines on balloons and drifting to site casting which provided fabulous action and one of the lads even landed a sail on the popper for only the second time that Anthony the operator has seen this season.

Total cost for the 3 of us was US $2,650 and we have all vowed to return next year. Note price included all accommodation and food which was stunningly good and included wild boar, ostrich, barramundi and squid cooked with some spice package and fried which all enjoyed.

Season is due to close early November and peak months are supposed to be September and October but for some reason June was stunning this year.

Enjoyed it.

post-30115-1253320322_thumb.jpg

post-30115-1253320439_thumb.jpg

post-30115-1253320460_thumb.jpg