Where To Buy Fire Balloons In Chang Mai ?

meyori

We just bought tickets to visit Chang Mai from Phuket. This is our 2nd year to be...very much looking forward to be back. Now We are looking for place we can buy big quantities of fire balloons. Is there anyone know where to go ? Fire balloon in Phuket is not cheap ! Thank you for your help.

They are called Khom Loys and can be bought at any large market for cheap. I'd start at Wororot.

In HIGH DEMAND season, they are about 70 baht each for the large ones or 3 for 100 baht (small ones). I'm sure that they are cheaper now if you find them.

By the way, I took some to Phuket. They worked terribly there. I think the air needs to be cool for them to work properly.

By the way, I took some to Phuket. They worked terribly there. I think the air needs to be cool for them to work properly.

I've done probably 100 down there without any problems. You just don't want too much wind. Temperature shouldn't matter.

We just bought tickets to visit Chang Mai from Phuket. This is our 2nd year to be...very much looking forward to be back. Now We are looking for place we can buy big quantities of fire balloons. Is there anyone know where to go ? Fire balloon in Phuket is not cheap ! Thank you for your help.

If you drive along the old Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd and turn left just after the Gawilla Army barracks (where the big tree forms the intersection) you come to the  Chiengmai Gymkhana Golf club on Ratutit Rd. If you continue past the entrance and go straight where the temple is on the left (instead of continuing round the corner towards the Railway station) and along the perimeter of the golf course you  come to the area where the home-industry shops that are making these things are all located.

A little further along this soi is the Juniper Tree resort and about 100 metres past that you will see the first of the shops that makes and sells the Fire-lanterns. This area has about a dozen such shops. Most of the web-sites that say they manufacture them actually buy them here. 

The web-site for Juniper tree resort probably has a map on it.

If you can't find that area, some have retail outlets on old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd in Nong Hoi Market opposite Holiday Inn Hotel.

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

If you drive along the old Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd and turn left just after the Gawilla Army barracks (where the big tree forms the intersection) you come to the Chiengmai Gymkhana Golf club on Ratutit Rd. If you continue past the entrance and go straight where the temple is on the left (instead of continuing round the corner towards the Railway station) and along the perimeter of the golf course you come to the area where the home-industry shops that are making these things are all located.

A little further along this soi is the Juniper Tree resort and about 100 metres past that you will see the first of the shops that makes and sells the Fire-lanterns. This area has about a dozen such shops. Most of the web-sites that say they manufacture them actually buy them here.

The web-site for Juniper tree resort probably has a map on it.

If you can't find that area, some have retail outlets on old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd in Nong Hoi Market opposite Holiday Inn Hotel.

Thank you for all informaiton, everybody. I will try to locate them.

What goes up must come down! Why do you have to contribute to the trash pollution? Isn't there enough, or do you not think beyond your personal enjoyment? Please post your address so I can send you these spent crap pieces that come down on my orchard trees.

SPECIAL OFFER

50 white sky lanterns for only USD 60.00

contact us for details

THAISKYLANTERNS

So you profit from pollution?

MOD please remove this self-promoting post.

Edited by drtreelove

What goes up must come down! Why do you have to contribute to the trash pollution? Isn't there enough, or do you not think beyond your personal enjoyment? Please post your address so I can send you these spent crap pieces that come down on my orchard trees.

There are party poopers everywhere. The lanterns have been a Thai tradition for years. And yes, they do create a "bit" of polution when they come down. They are also a bit of a fire hazard, but who are we to judge other countries about THEIR traditions?

If you are so worried about pollution then maybe start with all the plastic bags thrown in the local rivers and canals. There isn't an empty lot in Chiang Mai that ISN'T filled with plastic garbage. And, it certainly isn't only the falongs who are tossing all that crap around. Don't try to impose your own personal FOREIGN ideas on the Thai culture. It's just not going to wash.

There are party poopers everywhere. The lanterns have been a Thai tradition for years. And yes, they do create a "bit" of polution when they come down. They are also a bit of a fire hazard, but who are we to judge other countries about THEIR traditions?

If you are so worried about pollution then maybe start with all the plastic bags thrown in the local rivers and canals. There isn't an empty lot in Chiang Mai that ISN'T filled with plastic garbage. And, it certainly isn't only the falongs who are tossing all that crap around. Don't try to impose your own personal FOREIGN ideas on the Thai culture. It's just not going to wash.

Ian these things are my pet peave, besides gettng in my orchard trees they are all over the forest when I go hiking and mt biking to get away from the plastics, noise and air pollution. How would you feel if your favorite fishing and hunting spots in BC had these things in the trees and the streams and on the ground. It's really depressing. I think originally the tradition was okay, with biodegradable materials, rice paper and bamboo, I'm not sure about the materials, but what are they now, mylar and wire? They stay and stay from what I've seen.

I'm not judging Thai traditions, I directed my frustration at expats who should know better and take responsibility for the consequences of their actions and not contribute to a practice that degrades the environment. Is it an unwelcome foreign idea to aspire for a cleaner, environment?

I try to do my part by not burning and recycling, and I don't send up these frickin things because I know where they come down. don

Ian these things are my pet peave, besides gettng in my orchard trees they are all over the forest when I go hiking and mt biking to get away from the plastics, noise and air pollution. How would you feel if your favorite fishing and hunting spots in BC had these things in the trees and the streams and on the ground. It's really depressing. I think originally the tradition was okay, with biodegradable materials, rice paper and bamboo, I'm not sure about the materials, but what are they now, mylar and wire? They stay and stay from what I've seen.

I'm not judging Thai traditions, I directed my frustration at expats who should know better and take responsibility for the consequences of their actions and not contribute to a practice that degrades the environment. Is it an unwelcome foreign idea to aspire for a cleaner, environment?

I try to do my part by not burning and recycling, and I don't send up these frickin things because I know where they come down. don

Hear, hear at least someone has some sense. I think you will find that a fair majority of Thais hate them also, especially when let off near their property.

As for it being a tradition, if you talk to the older Thais they will tell you that in the past it was something done by the local temple, maybe 2 or 3 going up at each temple over the festival only.

It was nowhere near the commercial operation it is today. Just at Tapae Gate those things go up by the hundreds each weekend and not only at festival time.

For those that think they are "a bit of" a fire hazard obviously you don't remember the huge fire at the back of Warorot Market approx 6-7? yrs ago. That was caused by a Komfai. It destroyed about 4 shops and a huge fabric warehouse.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.