Govt Using All Means To Corner Thaksin

webfact

RUNAWAY EX-PM

Govt using all means to corner Thaksin

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Published on April 28, 2009

Two passports confirmed, third might be Cambodian travel document

The government is taking every possible step to narrow the political space fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's has on the globe by using the Interpol and other diplomatic moves to corner him, a senior government official said yesterday.

Thaksin might be able to stay in Dubai, but United Arab Emirates will not allow him to use the gulf state as a launching PAD against the Thai government, said Vice Foreign Minister Panich Vikitsreth.

"The UAE government has told us that Thaksin could not use the country as his political base, but could return as an investor," Panich said in an interview yesterday.

The UAE and Thailand are preparing an extradition treaty, he said, adding that Abu Dhabi had already sent a draft for consideration.

Asked if the government was aware of the movements being made by some former executives of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party to meet Thaksin in Dubai, Panich said nobody could be barred from travelling abroad or meeting anybody.

"We don't know where they are going and for what purpose, but they have the right because they are only banned from politics, not travel," Panich explained.

Two weeks ago, the government told Interpol to blacklist Thaksin and arrest him if they can, he said.

Thai authorities have also sent arrest warrants against Thaksin to all concerned countries, he said.

In addition, the foreign ministry has informed all nations that have diplomatic relations with Thailand about Thaksin's movements and the government's concerns, he said.

Even though Thaksin's Thai passports, both diplomatic and ordinary, were revoked the former premier continues moving around with foreign travel documents. Reports have confirmed that Thaksin is holding a Nicaraguan passport and has been made special ambassador by President Daniel Ortega.

He was also said to have landed in Liberia last week with Montenegro passport and unconfirmed reports say he might also have a Cambodian passport. Since the foreign ministry has no clear information about Thaksin's Cambodian passport, it could not take any action on the issue, Panich said.

However, he added, Phnom Penh as already been told about the government's concerns over Thaksin's political movements. "We are being very careful with the matter because relations with Cambodia are very sensitive," he said.

However, Panich said, what passport Thaksin travels with is not important. He explained that as long as the former PM uses his own name, his appearance in any country would show up on Interpol's radar and he will be under surveillance in host countries.

The government is closely monitoring Jakrapob Penkair's movements, though his whereabouts are still unknown, Panich said. The Immigration Bureau has no records on Jakrapob's departure, he said.

Jakrapob, a former spokesman for Thaksin, was charged of lese majeste and freed on bail.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/28

/reason for edit: deleted line not belonging to article

Edited by webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From: The Daily Observer, Liberia's major newspaper, 23 April, '09.

MONROVIA,A Thailand delegation headed by former Prime Minster of that country, Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra, has ended a private visit to Liberia. The delegation held talks with the Chairman of the National Investment Commission (NIC), Dr. Richard Tolbert, in Monrovia on Wednesday.

- - - - - - - - - -

The photo that accompanies the Daily Observer newspaper article of T with Bo Diddley look-alike Dr. Tolbert has the caption: "Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Chairman Richard Tolbert"

Note: the photo caption doesn't refer to T as 'ex-prime minister' or 'former prime minister' - though the article's title does refer to him as ex-prime minister.

Just as troubling, according to the article, T is head of a "Thailand delegation." In other words, he represents himself as representing Thailand. Do Thai authorities sanction T representing Thailand in an official capacity?

link to Daily Observer article

Edited by brahmburgers

why a new topic for that? wouldn't it enough to update an old thread. and open a new one when there are finally some results like an arrest.

or is that something new that the government now "using all means" ? and what the government had done the last 4 month, or just one week before? the hunt for thaksin was only with half power but now they switch to full energy?

The government is closely monitoring Jakrapob Penkair's movements, though his whereabouts are still unknown, Panich said. The Immigration Bureau has no records on Jakrapob's departure, he said.

har har, funny. so busy that government. keep watching closely and don't lose sight of him.

Two weeks ago, the government told Interpol to blacklist Thaksin and arrest him if they can, he said.

Has anyone checked The Nation report independently. Taksin is not on any Interpol list.

the article just said the The Government told interpol to blacklist him. the article doesn't say that he is on a black list now already. if interpol than actually can arrest him is an other question. normally interpol doesn't do that. they just coordinate lthe different local/national law enforcement agencies.

why don't name the agency/authority that does the investigation/give arrest warrent. everything is done by the The Government.

the The Nation isn't very strong with the detail of a story.

I say, let squareface and monkeylips enjoy their life in Liberia. With those lips on Jak, im sure he's giving Thaksin the best he's got!

Those lips remins me of a Nana katoey I knew. I surely miss him/her.

He/She was obviously doing very well, he/she end up living in Dusseldorf now.

The gov't is a joke. First, they shouldn't have let him out of the country, because it was pretty sure he wasn't coming back for a hearing. Second, you might want to have an extradition treaty with a country before you try and get them back and third, you might want to keep your mouth shut about what you are/aren't doing.

The gov't is a joke. First, they shouldn't have let him out of the country, because it was pretty sure he wasn't coming back for a hearing. Second, you might want to have an extradition treaty with a country before you try and get them back and third, you might want to keep your mouth shut about what you are/aren't doing.

Agreed, the government which let him out of the country, was indeed a bit of a joke. Who was PM back then ? :o

Agreed, the government which let him out of the country, was indeed a bit of a joke. Who was PM back then ? :o

You made a point!

wasn't it a Mr. Somchai... or was it the cook who openly declared he is the proxy for Mr. T?

Edited by webfact

Exactly.

well is not a joke, consider the title: "Govt using all means to corner Thaksin"

isn't informing everyone one of the many means? They are really using all means even the most un-clever ones. :o

Jakrapob Penkair may be in Singapore. If the Thai govt were to extradite him back to LoS to face charges, they must bring him back by express train and not plane. This way, they can stick his head out the window and the bastard can flap himself to death with those lips!! :o

He supposedly entered Liberia with a PP issued by the "Republic of Montenegro"!

..Reports have confirmed that Thaksin is holding a Nicaraguan passport and has been made special ambassador by President Daniel Ortega.

He was also said to have landed in Liberia last week with Montenegro passport and unconfirmed reports say he might also have a Cambodian passport. Since the foreign ministry has no clear information about Thaksin's Cambodian passport.....

Source:

So if he entered the UAE with his Nicaraguan Passport -

he indeed hasn't "left" the country and could still stay in Cambodia!

:o

I think he really loves this game of deceit, where only he believes,

everybody believes his charades - .specially if a delegation of former

TRT members have just recently left for Dubai!

...Asked if the government was aware of the movements being made by some former executives of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party to meet Thaksin in Dubai...

same source as above..

RUNAWAY EX-PM

Govt using all means to corner Thaksin

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Published on April 28, 2009

Two passports confirmed, third might be Cambodian travel document

Gives new meaning to the word 'multinational'

Jakrapob Penkair may be in Singapore. If the Thai govt were to extradite him back to LoS to face charges, they must bring him back by express train and not plane. This way, they can stick his head out the window and the bastard can flap himself to death with those lips!! :o

Do you have any back up that he's (or could be) in Sinagpore?

If he is in Singapore, and there is no record of him leaving Thailand, then this raises more questions. I wonder if Singapore would have any concerns whether he left the previous port of call with his exit properly recorded or not recorded?

I also wonder whether Singapore would have any concerns about:

- Jakrabob physically being in Singapore (also any concerns about taxsin physically being in Singapore)?

- Jakrabob conducting phone-in to Thailand / phone interviews to journalists in other countries from Singapore (same in regard to taxsin)?

it would take all of 5 seconds to track him down in Dubai !!!!

That's what I'm saying. If they wanted him, they could get him with ease.

Someone give me 100k USD and I'll go get him myself. I'll have him within 72 hours.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/28

Deputy PM Suthep : I don't know whereabout of Jakrapob

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said he ordered authorities to keep a close watch on reports that former members of defunct Communist Party of Thailand joined hands with red shirts to work underground and have assassination plan.

He also said that he did not know whereabout of runaway Jakrabob Penkair who pledged to use different tactics to fight against the government including violence using of weapons.

THE NATION - 2009/04/28

'The gov't'? Most certainly wasn't this one, and the rumoured 50m bung to um, go see the Olympics saw him up into the big blue soonest. I'm not sure, but does Thailand have extradition treaties with any country? I thought all the villains escaped to, here! :o I think the present government are just trying to show that they alone are doing something to get the little rascal back. Belatedly for sure.

Wasn't he ousted when he was outside the country on business? They didn't let him leave they waited until he was gone so they could begin their coup. I think that is what happened. I thought they were afraid of him and didn't want him around when the shat hit the fan. I could be wrong.

Wasn't he ousted when he was outside the country on business? They didn't let him leave they waited until he was gone so they could begin their coup. I think that is what happened. I thought they were afraid of him and didn't want him around when the shat hit the fan. I could be wrong.

Uh, he has back several times after that.

And it was his own proxy-government that let him travel out without a problem.

So what where you saying about being inept?

Uh, he has back several times after that.

And it was his own proxy-government that let him travel out without a problem.

So what where you saying about being inept?

But the coup happened when?

It occurred to me that dear old Thaksin who is being hounded from one lair to another has, over the last few years, purchased luxury properties in the United Kingdom and Hong Kong,China to name just two locations.

It would be interesting to know if he has unloaded these 'des-res' properties or still hopes one day to occupy them. :o

Having Thaksin distracted by his world travels and time difference

was a very smart move for the coup. I am sure that saved lives,

because Thaksin would LIKELY have ordered violence in return,

as shown by his last public function.