Thai Airways Need Passengers Medical Records

george

Air travellers' medical records needed

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) suggests passengers with flu symptoms to bring their medical records with them due to the outbreak of swine flu in other countries.

THAI's Crisis Management Operation Centre director Surapol Isarangkul Na Ayutthaya said on Wednesday that the airline had informed its cabin crews about the severity of swine flu and ways to protect themselves from infection.

Mr Surapol believed the cabin crews would have some immunity because they received influenza vaccination once a year.

The airline had no plans to change its flights, and no passengers had cancelled their flights yet, he said.

However, THAI may not allow people with flu symptoms to board if they could not verify their health conditions, he said.

Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanont said more officials had been assigned to facilitate passengers as some areas could be crowded due to the installation of thermal scanners by the Public Health Ministry.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-29

So are the check in staff and flight attendants going to be given medical training so they can spot flu symptoms or are all THAI flights going to have thermal imaging equipment plus trained operators?

This is another of those "sound bite" pieces to reassure those nervous people, no substance, no intention to actually do anything but it's words to fill the vacuum.

Someone better tell them that this influenza is not last year's and their shots are useless.

Flu shots are targeted against a range of types - with those expected 'next year' the main group. The current flu shot will not prevent but it may limit the severity of current swine flu as it is indeed targeted against the human factor of this new strain from my reading.

This is outright discrimination!

These poor swine flu victims didn't ask to become sick!

What right do the THAI authorities have to deny boarding to these folks struck by such misfortune?

It's not like they're growing snouts or corkskrew tails or squealing uncontrollably (yet).

This is an outrage. Any developed proper country will denounce this disgusting policy immediately.

:o

This is lovely. One thing is the flu, but its spring time in the northern hemisphere, complete with all the little seedlings from trees, flower and grass. Good thing I havent planned any flights, probably would be stopped at the airport with red eyes and a runny nose :)

I can understand with the flu but I cannot understand why I have t get a doctors clearance within a week and no less than three days before flying to fly with an amputated leg, Every time with Thai. Tthey cannot just keep a record on file.

I am not sure how effective this is. I would assume that people that are obviously ill would be denied boarding most of the time. One of the last places I would want to be sick is on an airplane.

Anytime, I even think of flying Thai Airways again, they come up with something really stupid, which makes me wonder about their hiring practices for Pilots?

Can somebody please tell me, which airline has the highest number of North American or Western Europe trained pilots? Anytime, I'm on a plane, listening to an English announcement from a pilot, who can't make himself understood in English, I get scared for myself and fellow passengers :) Throw in a little turbulence and it starts feeling like a horror movie.

I wish I was a better swimmer and had more time, but Canada is a long, cold swim away. :D

What a bunch of Rubbish! Just got back from the gym, after sitting in the steam bath for a while, had to sneeze twice, walking outside in the sun and started wondering, if those idiots in TaiPae are going to stick me in Quaranteene for a week, if I happen to start sneezing in the airport?

Can't they come up with a virus that will kill all the stupid people in the World? That would certainly take care of the over population problem ;-)

MEXICAN HUMAN FLU

Wealthy Asians consider private jets to avoid swine flu risks

By Deutsche Presse Agentur

Hong Kong - Wealthy Asian travellers are considering flying by private jet to avoid the risk of swine flu exposure on commercial flights, a news report said Wednesday.

Private jet service Asia Jet has seen a 40-per-cent rise in inquiries about its flights, at a cost of 5,900 US dollars an hour, since the swine flu scare spread Monday to Asia, the South China Morning Post reported.

Enquiries had come from across the region for the Hong Kong-based company's fleet of Gulfstream jets, said chief executive Justin Lee Firestone.

"This is not about people wanting to be uber-flashy," he told the newspaper. "The private jet is a controlled environment. You know who your colleagues are."

Passenger aircraft are believed to have been one of the major channels by which the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, virus spread across the world.

No cases of swine flu have been confirmed in Asia so far, though tests were being carried out Wednesday on four patients in Hong Kong, while China has stepped up surveillance and border health checks.

Well they have killed off most other business,

they might as well run EVERYONE off to other airlines

who don't demand personally invasive hard to get paperwork

just to book a flight.

And they though they were running in the red before this; HAH!

This isn't to belittle the need for caution vs this flue,

but... there are ways and there are ways

So are the check in staff and flight attendants going to be given medical training so they can spot flu symptoms or are all THAI flights going to have thermal imaging equipment plus trained operators?

This is another of those "sound bite" pieces to reassure those nervous people, no substance, no intention to actually do anything but it's words to fill the vacuum.

Remember: drink a cold beer before boarding not an hot tea.

Thai airlines are a caring and eductaed flight company

how nice of them to be so considerate and sacrafice own bookings for others to take advantage off...

I would personally think it was the AIRPORTS that should be issuing the warnings making it mandatory for check points regardless of flight company to comply with this kind of procedure...

A government warning as opposed to a Thai airways warning!

goes to show that corporations really are running Thailand it seems, the govmt certainly arent

Air travellers' medical records needed

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) suggests passengers with flu symptoms to bring their medical records with them due to the outbreak of swine flu in other countries.

THAI's Crisis Management Operation Centre director Surapol Isarangkul Na Ayutthaya said on Wednesday that the airline had informed its cabin crews about the severity of swine flu and ways to protect themselves from infection.

Mr Surapol believed the cabin crews would have some immunity because they received influenza vaccination once a year.

The airline had no plans to change its flights, and no passengers had cancelled their flights yet, he said.

However, THAI may not allow people with flu symptoms to board if they could not verify their health conditions, he said.

Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanont said more officials had been assigned to facilitate passengers as some areas could be crowded due to the installation of thermal scanners by the Public Health Ministry.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-29

Scary story this - it again shows how stupid these people are - I will bring my medical records if you dumb fuc_ks show me your maintenance records and the qualifications of the mutants you have pretending to carry them out!! fuc_k off and stick your overpriced under maintained aircraft up your ass , :)

I do not mind havingthe need to show medical information if I am showing signs that I may have flu but they should be evaluated only by a fully quallified and available medical doctor. After all this s a protection to me too as the confined close airconditioned space is a perfect spreading environment for disease.

Like i said...

The corporations run the World now! They really do believe they are gods

And those glorified girls in purple have suddenly been made in to doctorates whom can fondle with your swollen glands and decline your seats if they so much see a runny nose or allergy....

So quickly world run off to your GP and clinics and throw more money into the wind by getting a piece of paper that says i dont have Pig Flu - then come back to Thai airways with a smile and thank them for being so caring...

My god - They really do have a god complex dont they....

I guess its just a publicity stunt which they thought from a THAI perspective would impress foreigners with their caring and safe attitude whilst no other airline companies issued such warnings as the govmnt should be doing that job.

unless... hold on!

THEY ARE THE GOVernment! i knew it.... those girls in purple are really govmnt spies....

The plot thickens here in wonderland!

What records?

Are they supposed to go their GP or other equivalent and get a statement that they are healthy? This is so typical of Thai bureaucracy. It has all the hallmarks of the pooyai cogitating while taking a dump and having a eureka moment. "I know, lets tell every passenger to bring his records with him". IDIOT

Just give every visitor an extra piece of paper to fill out. Where have you been for the last 60 days, and please leave a contact telephone number. Give them a phone number to call if they are feeling like shit or have any relevant symptoms. Screen the dam_n passengers at check in by simply asking do they feel like they have flu.

There are a myriad of questions they can ask at check in alongside, "did you pack your bags yourself".

Apparently they have installed THERMAL IMAGING in the airport now - from what i gather this is to screen folks from the lethal swine flu which is taking over the universe...

I can only assume that the thermal images may indeed show if we are carrying pigs with us in our suitcases....

and you think im jesting? read above! :)

When I see the name of one of the officials quoted and the comment about assigning more personal for (crowd control), the qualifications/background of these gentleman brings a few questions/thoughts to mind.

Doctors recommend staying away from crowds, sounds like they created more crowed conditions.

What does your medical records have to do with present health?

I doubt people who have the flu will or would want to board a plane

Will the doctors who give physical for immigration do flu screening?

Wonder why I am not surprised at this type of reaction/statements?

Any word if the medical records are required for domestic flights with Thai Air?

The key to this is stopping the foreigners bringing their disease into Thailand. On domestic flights why not just hand out a large selection of colourful antibiotics instead of the peanuts, there must be a stockpile of out of date antibiotics somewhere which can be bought by Thai Airways from a friendly supplier at special prices.....

I agree the exercise should be to keep flu out of the country. Why are boarding passengers being screened and if deemed unhealthy, required to present medical docs? Doubt if many arriving passengers carry medical docs. Let the sick ones leave, thus less exposure to general public. Check Thailand bound passengers at foreign airports. As someone mentioned this is a Public figure trying to cover his as. by throwing out bs.

really don't think this will happen. With all the political unrest in the country and the economic downturn the thai tourist industry is in a shambles. Thailand is doing everything it can to get farangs to come and spend thier money, free accommadation cheap airfares. (haven't seen any real evidence of this but that is what they are offering) I fly in and out of thia every 28 days (go to Melbourne for 2 days) and have noticed the steep decline in passengers on the planes they are only half full. If they stop people who have a sniffle or sneeze whilst checking in simply because of a little dust in the air then they will be flying empty planes. Anyway I am flying out again on the 9th so I will check it out 1st hand.

Any word if the medical records are required for domestic flights with Thai Air?

The key to this is stopping the foreigners bringing their disease into Thailand. On domestic flights why not just hand out a large selection of colourful antibiotics instead of the peanuts, there must be a stockpile of out of date antibiotics somewhere which can be bought by Thai Airways from a friendly supplier at special prices.....

Stop foreigners bringing thier desease? I didn't know the swine virus was a farang desease. I guess that the SARS virus or the chicken flu is a thai (Asian) desease maybe other countries should stop thais coming so they don't bring thier bird flu with them.

Stop foreigners bringing thier desease? I didn't know the swine virus was a farang desease. I guess that the SARS virus or the chicken flu is a thai (Asian) desease maybe other countries should stop thais coming so they don't bring thier bird flu with them.

I agree if this is a farang desease what are thais so worried about. Now if this was a human desease I would understand thier concern.