Is The Nagi Of Mekong Ferry Operating?

exrockstar

Does anybody know if the ferryboat "Nagi of Mekong" is still operating?

Lanchang Easytrip travel agent in Chiang Khong say it stopped a couple of years ago. But there are some posts going on on the Thorntree forum that suggest that it is operating.... their website seems a bit out of date.

Looking at the "Nagi of Mekong" website the boat looks pretty much like any other 1 day fast boat Houei Xai - Luang Prabang.

When I was in Chiang Khong a week ago, there were fast boats going down the river every day.

I don't think it will be too much trouble to get a 1-day Houei Xai - Luang Prabang fast boat trip.

But why not check with Luang Prabang Travel in Chiang Rai?

Regarding boats on the Khong HX - LPQ, note that there are 3 types

1. Speed boats.

2. Fast Boats.

3. Slow Boats.

Thanks for clarifying that David. I was under the impression there were only slow boats or speed boats. I'll pass the info on to our guests.

PS. I'd still like to get some GT-Rider maps off you next time you're passing through Chiang Saen.

see you sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have some new information about this boat. Below is a message from the operator;

"" Dear ****,

Thanks for your precious information and links concerning what people say about the Nagi of Mekong. I have to admit one fact that, the website is very old and needs updating.

Since we started the operation in 1998, we were the first and only one doing the "one day cruises with guaranteed departure from Houi Xai to Luang Prabang" but when the Chinese built dams across the river way up in Yannan, the river courses changed and water levels started to get less and less. This is one reason why we decided to stopped operating one day cruise and offer only the two days. People could be confused about we suspending the one day and probably thinks that we have stopped the whole business.

I promise to have my website updates with clear information about what we do today and pricing as well.

Best regards

adisak

""