Applying For Annual Extensions Of Stay After Expiry Of O-a Visa For Retirement Purposes

(1) Do Embassy letters confirming pension income need to be translated into Thai? Or are the original Embassy letters (in English in my case) acceptable to the immigration authorities?

(2) Is any proof of address required over and above that which might be contained in Embassy income letters and/or letters from Thai banks confirming account balances? If so, is having your name included in the relevant house document the only acceptable form of proof? Or will having (eg) relevant electricity and/or UBC bills in your name be OK?

1. Embassy letters in english do not require translation.

2. Immigration does not normally ask for proof of address when you apply for an extension. If your embassy letter and/or bank letter has your address on it that would be enough to satisfy immigration,

The Topic title is a bit confusing. Taken literally, the OP is trying to obtain an annual extension of stay after his visa has expired. I hope he doesn't mean to say that his permission to stay has expired. Once used to enter the country, a visa is not longer relevant, it's your permission to stay date that counts at immigration.

Will immigration extend the permission of stay with one year if the passport is to expire within a year?

No, stop and think about what you are asking. How can immigration issue an extension of stay past the passport expiration date? You should be able to get an extension of stay up until the date the passport expires though.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Immigration will extend till the date your passport is valid. When you have a new passport, they will transfer your permission to stay stamp and will issue the rest of your 1 year extension for free. (Past the expiry date of your old passport).

Quote No, stop and think about what you are asking. unquote

Yes, I know exactly what I was asking. As a extended visa can be on a expired passport I was wondering what immigration would do in the described case.

So I asked on the forum.

Realise there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Thanks for the clear answer Mario2008

Will immigration extend the permission of stay with one year if the passport is to expire within a year?

You asked if immigration would extend your permission to stay by entering a 1 year extension of stay into a passport that is, for example, only valid for 6 months. The answer is NO they will not. The answer you received fit the question asked.

You asked if immigration would extend your permission to stay by entering a 1 year extension of stay into a passport that is, for example, only valid for 6 months. The answer is NO they will not. The answer you received fit the question asked.

Right. Thank you. discussion closed.

The Topic title is a bit confusing. Taken literally, the OP is trying to obtain an annual extension of stay after his visa has expired. I hope he doesn't mean to say that his permission to stay has expired. Once used to enter the country, a visa is not longer relevant, it's your permission to stay date that counts at immigration.

I agree that the topic title might more accurately have been "Applying for annual extensions of stay dating from expiry of latest 'admitted to' date stamped in passport within lifetime of existing multiple-entry O-A visa for retirement purposes". But you would probably have then been the first to complain about its excessive length, eh, InterestedObserver?

Anyway, thanks to ubonjoe and Lite Beer for their clear answers to my original post, which were exactly what I was hoping to hear!

And thanks to middelman for raising the point about extensions of stay being possible right up to the date of passport expiry. I had previously assumed (wrongly in the event) that you had to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport after the expiry date of your latest extension of stay. However this issue will not arise for me until 2013, and the goalposts will probably move between now and then!

Edited by OJAS

I agree that the topic title might more accurately have been "Applying for annual extensions of stay dating from expiry of latest 'admitted to' date stamped in passport within lifetime of existing multiple-entry O-A visa for retirement purposes".

If you are now claiming to have a valid multiple-entry "O-A" visa, as stated "....within lifetime of existing multiple-entry O-A visa....", then all you have to do is leave the country, reenter, and you'll get another 1 year entry from immigration at the border. No documents necessary.

• 1 month later...
Immigration will extend till the date your passport is valid. When you have a new passport, they will transfer your permission to stay stamp and will issue the rest of your 1 year extension for free. (Past the expiry date of your old passport).
With all the questions asked and the great response to them you'd think it would be clear to me. However, my mind is still fuzzy. I obtained an O-A long stay, multiple entry visa from the Thai consulate in New York, on the 15th of April 2009. Arrived in Bangkok on the 27th of April. Immigration at the airport affixed a stamp to my passport stating my arrival date of 27th April 2009 and an admitted till date of 25 April 2010. Do I need to get a "Permit to Stay" stamp every 90 days. In other words what are my requirements. I plan to remain in Thailand with my Thai wife of 35 years with an occasional trip to visit family in USA. Retired and 63 years old. Attached to your comments Mario2008 as I liked your clear and straight forward answers. Will make a new post if I receive no response in a week. Sincerely yours Edit: PM member.

With all the questions asked and the great response to them you'd think it would be clear to me. However, my mind is still fuzzy. I obtained an O-A long stay, multiple entry visa from the Thai consulate in New York, on the 15th of April 2009. Arrived in Bangkok on the 27th of April. Immigration at the airport affixed a stamp to my passport stating my arrival date of 27th April 2009 and an admitted till date of 25 April 2010. Do I need to get a "Permit to Stay" stamp every 90 days. In other words what are my requirements. I plan to remain in Thailand with my Thai wife of 35 years with an occasional trip to visit family in USA. Retired and 63 years old. Attached to your comments Mario2008 as I liked your clear and straight forward answers. Will make a new post if I receive no response in a week. Sincerely yours Edit: PM member.

You must report your address to Immigration every 90 days that you stay continuously in Thailand . Up to 25th April 2010 you just leave and return and you will get another 12 months.

After 25th April 2010 you need Re Entry Permits if you plan to leave the country or you will lose your permission to stay.

Every time you leave and return until the April 15th, 2010 you will get a one year permit to stay like you did when you first entered. If you enter the day before the enter before date on your visa you will get one more year of stay. After that date if want to leave and re-enter you will need a re-entry permit that you can get at immigration. Then one year after you last entry you will need to get an extension of stay at immigration or apply for a new visa at at a conuslate in the US.

You don't need to get a new permit to stay stamp every 90 days. You do need make reports to immigration if you remain in the country more than 90 days. Info about this can be found here on the immigration website. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Also at the end of your last one year entry you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai instead of retirement. The financial requirements are less for this extension than retirement.