Australian Spouse Visa

Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to obtain a spouse visa to Australia once the application is submitted? It says that it can take up to 3 months, but some people say it can take only a few weeks. Any personal experiences of how long it would take?

Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to obtain a spouse visa to Australia once the application is submitted? It says that it can take up to 3 months, but some people say it can take only a few weeks. Any personal experiences of how long it would take?

My wife submitted hers in March this year and she got a call 2 weeks later to ask for an Australian Police check (which I'd already applied for back here) and another call a week later to say it was approved. 3.5 weeks all up. May have only been 2 weeks if we had lodged the police check with the application as she wasn't required to have an interview.

Like has been said many times on this site but can't be emphasied enough: Make sure you application is complete, thorough and set out neatly in a folder(s).

My wife submitted hers in March this year and she got a call 2 weeks later to ask for an Australian Police check (which I'd already applied for back here) and another call a week later to say it was approved. 3.5 weeks all up. May have only been 2 weeks if we had lodged the police check with the application as she wasn't required to have an interview.

Like has been said many times on this site but can't be emphasied enough: Make sure you application is complete, thorough and set out neatly in a folder(s).

Why did she need a Australian police check as well as a Thai one? Does it have anything to do with how long she spent in Australia and if so how long is it? Because my gf would have spent 7 months in Australia by the time she applies for her spouse visa, thanks

Why did she need a Australian police check as well as a Thai one? Does it have anything to do with how long she spent in Australia and if so how long is it? Because my gf would have spent 7 months in Australia by the time she applies for her spouse visa, thanks

Correct. My wife had been in Australia for about 13 months in total. You need the Oz police check if she's been here greater than 12 months, so your gf won't need one. I think you need a police check for any country she puts in Q83 of her 47SP.

Hi ,

Along the same lines, I have lodged a fiance visa on 20th April for my Thai GF. Would it be the same timeframe as a spouse visa if all the paper work etc is ok.

Regards

I went to CC tower with my girlfriend when she applied for the 47 SP visa in mid March 09

We were told to expect 2-3 months, she was given the same time frame when she went to the Oz embassy for her intrerview. We are hoping she will be here before mid June

The day we were at CC tower there were 2 others in front of us with 47 SP visas and another couple that was after us.

One girl that was applying before us looked like she had just left nana or cowboy had revealing top & very short tight pink shorts. Not the sort of clothes I would expect someone to wear to a place like that but each to their own

I went to CC tower with my girlfriend when she applied for the 47 SP visa in mid March 09

We were told to expect 2-3 months, she was given the same time frame when she went to the Oz embassy for her intrerview. We are hoping she will be here before mid June

The day we were at CC tower there were 2 others in front of us with 47 SP visas and another couple that was after us.

One girl that was applying before us looked like she had just left nana or cowboy had revealing top & very short tight pink shorts. Not the sort of clothes I would expect someone to wear to a place like that but each to their own

Thanks Tazzy,

Just another question, How long after you lodged the application were you contacted by embassy, and how long before they gave you an interview. I am just trying to get some idea as my GF (and me) are finding the waiting process difficult and very frustrating.

Regards

Thanks for all the advice. I have a 7 years history with my GF in Thailand. She has been to Australia twice before and we are soon to be married. I am going back to start a job with the government. Not sure if those factors will speed her visa application up.

Thanks Tazzy,

Just another question, How long after you lodged the application were you contacted by embassy, and how long before they gave you an interview. I am just trying to get some idea as my GF (and me) are finding the waiting process difficult and very frustrating.

Regards

When we lodged the application we were told we would hear back within 2-3 weeks, heard nothing so called the OZ embassy after 3 weeks & spoke with the case officer.

We were told everything was Ok & no more info was required. As Sonkran was only a week away we were expecting some delays.

The case officer made an apointment for 3 weeks time.

The interview process went for about 40-50 minutes. My girfriend said the case officer asked questions about us & my family, what our future plans are (children), if she planned on working while in Australia, what she will do while I am at work & asked what she done each time she came to OZ.

My gilfriend was quiet pleased with herself & felt confident after the interview.

Now it is just a matter of waiting. I will give it 2 1/2 months from the day we applied & if heard nothing I will call & see how things are progressing.

I think you will find that the official line will always be "up to a few months" after interview.

In the real world, after watching this topic on Thai Visa for two years now, approval is generally two to three weeks.

All i's dotted and t's crossed right from the start seems to be extremely important in the time frame.

If info is missing and needed to be sourced, I think you jump back quite a bit in the queue.

I wonder why it takes so long for Australian spouse visa? Some of my british friends received their approved visa within two weeks after submission. One was less than a week.

Thanks Tazzy,

Regards

When we lodged the application we were told we would hear back within 2-3 weeks, heard nothing so called the OZ embassy after 3 weeks & spoke with the case officer.

We were told everything was Ok & no more info was required. As Sonkran was only a week away we were expecting some delays.

The case officer made an apointment for 3 weeks time.

The interview process went for about 40-50 minutes. My girfriend said the case officer asked questions about us & my family, what our future plans are (children), if she planned on working while in Australia, what she will do while I am at work & asked what she done each time she came to OZ.

My gilfriend was quiet pleased with herself & felt confident after the interview.

Now it is just a matter of waiting. I will give it 2 1/2 months from the day we applied & if heard nothing I will call & see how things are progressing.

Thanks very much Tazzy,

It has been about 3 weeks since we lodged the application , so we might phone to see if everything is ok. Don't want to be too pushy but we are just missing each other and find it difficult to be patient. Keep us informed of how you get on with you application.

Regards

Yes, ours took a month, and it was a very carefully prepared and complete application. I agree that they tell you longer than it will probably take - I assume this is so they are not driven crazy by people calling and saying "but you said it would only take XXX!"

The time frame just depends on completeness of the application, any obvious anomalies, and of course the workload of the case-worker at that time... incl. time spent on the phone/computer responding to ppl asking when their application will be approved :)

I wonder why it takes so long for Australian spouse visa? Some of my british friends received their approved visa within two weeks after submission. One was less than a week..........................................Woofer

If you are not happy with the average time of 2-3 weeks, I think you are being a tad too fussy.

Like your "Brit" examples, some AUS Visa's also only take about a week.

Relax, if you the application is good, no problem!

I wonder why it takes so long for Australian spouse visa? Some of my british friends received their approved visa within two weeks after submission. One was less than a week..........................................Woofer

If you are not happy with the average time of 2-3 weeks, I think you are being a tad too fussy.

Like your "Brit" examples, some AUS Visa's also only take about a week.

Relax, if you the application is good, no problem!

It is interesting to know that some spouse visa only take a week or so. 2 or 3 weeks is OK. I just a bit concerned as I have to return to Australia and take up a position leaving the wife to finish everything off here. But our is a very straight forward application so it should be OK. Thanks for the advice.

Recieved a text from my girlfriend while at work this morning, the Oz embassy had contacted her & told her to come to Bangkok to get her visa.

We put the application in on the 16th March so about 8 weeks, Sonkran/Easter holiday was during this time.

We were expecting 3+ months so was pleased by the quick response

Recieved a text from my girlfriend while at work this morning, the Oz embassy had contacted her & told her to come to Bangkok to get her visa.

We put the application in on the 16th March so about 8 weeks, Sonkran/Easter holiday was during this time.

We were expecting 3+ months so was pleased by the quick response

Congrats, Tazzy.

Hope everything works out for you. It make me feel a little better than at least some people are having success with there applications. I will let my fiance know of your good news.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my situation which may give you some idea on timeframe expected.

My fiance had her interview today (21/5/09) after we lodged the application on 23/4/09. My fiance was contacted beginning of last week and advise of this interview and what additional paperwork they needed.

She took all the required paperwork and had the interview (about 45 minutes) and they said she still needed to supply some more paperwork???? Birth certificate for daughter signed by local village boss and ID card translated into english and and family book also translated into english. We had already supplied all this with our original application but they seem to have lost it??? Anyway my fiance will again make the trip to her village and get all the required paperwork and personally hand to embassy/case officer next week. The case officer advised if everything is in order a decision will be made within 30 days. She also stated that it could be a little quicker depending on her supervisor.

Anyway after much frustration I hope to hear some positive news in about 2-3 weeks. I must stress that my fiance said the case officer was very polite and understanding but was just following orders about what needed. Anyway fingers crossed for a good outcome.