Pterygium surgery in a Government Hospital

Pterygium is an overgrowth of tissue onto the cornea of the eye, it is caused by exposure to UV rays and thus much more common in tropical countries. It can indeed cause redness and irritation and, in severe cases, interefe with vision.

You can see pterygiums with the naked eye, and if you spent any amount of time looking at her eyes you ought to have noticed it. Some pictures can be found here; http://www.pterygiumsurgery.com/

Patients eligible for care under the "30 baht scheme"(which I think has another name now?) do sometimes have to pay extra if their treatment involves a special drug or medical device which the government budget does not cover. There are some new surgival techniques for pterygium that involve use of special new tissue adhesive drugs. I have no idea, however, what the usual cost would be.

This type of surgery is seldom urgent. One option might be to wait until you are in Thailand again and able to talk to the doctor yourself to find out what if any additional cost there is for the patient and what it is for.

P.S. I have edited the topic title in hopes that it may come to the attention of readers with expereince in pterygium surgery in govt hospitals as ëye surgery"is quite vague.

My neighbor's wife had her pterygium removed. She went to a private hospital but I am not sure what she paid. If interested, I can find out for sure.

Be aware that lasers do not work on pterygium.

Pterygium is quite common where I live and the growth can cover the iris and the pupil, causing blindness. My husband has pterygium and uses drops but finds that his eyes often feel dry and hurt. Pterygium is caused by long exposure to wind and sun.

Yes I see that in peoples eyes from time to time here in Thailand, is more common here than in middle europe I think.

In my Ex-GF eyes I see now also something like that growing, new Thai BF will have to do now the helping part.

Link

If this is a sick buffalo story, then it's a pretty elaborate one.

I've never heard of pterygium, so what chance would your gf know it if she hadn't been told it by the doctor?

So, click on the link about -pterygium- above and you see good pictures from that problem, you should have seen that already in some eyes here in TH isf you look deep in peoples eyes. :)

Pterygium is an overgrowth of tissue onto the cornea of the eye, it is caused by exposure to UV rays and thus much more common in tropical countries. It can indeed cause redness and irritation and, in severe cases, interefe with vision.

You can see pterygiums with the naked eye, and if you spent any amount of time looking at her eyes you ought to have noticed it. Some pictures can be found here; http://www.pterygiumsurgery.com/

Patients eligible for care under the "30 baht scheme"(which I think has another name now?) do sometimes have to pay extra if their treatment involves a special drug or medical device which the government budget does not cover. There are some new surgival techniques for pterygium that involve use of special new tissue adhesive drugs. I have no idea, however, what the usual cost would be.

This type of surgery is seldom urgent. One option might be to wait until you are in Thailand again and able to talk to the doctor yourself to find out what if any additional cost there is for the patient and what it is for.

P.S. I have edited the topic title in hopes that it may come to the attention of readers with expereince in pterygium surgery in govt hospitals as ëye surgery"is quite vague.

It's an informative posting. Like others who read the gen. topics at the week end I rather suspected a bit of trolling but thinking about it this could be a very painful condition, and I pity any sufferer.