Music At Mrt Stations

Super Hans

There's an electronic poster in MRT stations, advertising a foodhall, I think. It plays the opening bars from the song Reckoner by Radiohead. This is extremely puzzling, because Radiohead are extremely protective of their material and don't allow it to be used for marketing purposes, and it's an obscure track anyway.

Grasping at straws, but does anyone know why this track would be chosen?

There's an electronic poster in MRT stations, advertising a foodhall, I think. It plays the opening bars from the song Reckoner by Radiohead. This is extremely puzzling, because Radiohead are extremely protective of their material and don't allow it to be used for marketing purposes, and it's an obscure track anyway.

I had exactly the same thought. I'm guessing they don't have permission to use it, cheeky bastards, I almost emailed Radiohead's record label to tell them about it.

I think it's one of those random Bangkok things, like finding High Llamas and King Biscuit Time CDs in B2S

Uh hello, this is Thailand guys lol. I watch soaps that have the BRAVEHEART or Lord of the Rings theme song among other crazy infringements. Thailand doesnt give a <deleted>.

I ended up getting it stuck in my head after hearing it last night.

It stuck in my head as well, mainly because it's so out of place I think. I wasn't that keen on the song before, but quite like it now, especially without having to listen to the crashing symbols, which are a little overpowering in the album version.

Uh hello, this is Thailand guys lol. I watch soaps that have the BRAVEHEART or Lord of the Rings theme song among other crazy infringements. Thailand doesnt give a <deleted>.

The copyright issue isn't such a puzzle - the question is why this song?

I had exactly the same thought. I'm guessing they don't have permission to use it, cheeky bastards, I almost emailed Radiohead's record label to tell them about it.

That raises an interesting point - they didn't have a record label when the album was released as a pay-what-you-want download. I wonder if that makes a difference copyright-wise?

That raises an interesting point - they didn't have a record label when the album was released as a pay-what-you-want download. I wonder if that makes a difference copyright-wise?

True but I assume they still have a publishing deal separate from any record label and I think that they would handle any copyright issues, I might be wrong though :)

True but I assume they still have a publishing deal separate from any record label and I think that they would handle any copyright issues, I might be wrong though :)

I may be wrong, but I dont think this has anything to with the bands record label, if anything it would be the PRS (Performing Rights Society) in the UK or the RIAA in America.

A licence is required by any location where music is played and can be heard by the public.

Made me laugh when I read about farangs being visited by fake police in places such as Pattaya and being asked for money,because they had no licence, it has nothing to do with the police.

As to why that track was chosen, I am only guessing, but I would suggest it was chosen by some farang working in advertising.

There is other music I hear on tv here by groups I am certain no Thai has ever heard of never mind listens to. An example would be an obscure tack from an album that was released 32 years ago.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

Warner/Chappell Music Limited is Radiohead's publisher and they recently took legal action against an unauthorised remix album citing:

"It has come to our attention that you have created musical arrangements/remixes of some or all of the musical works included on their recent album 'In Rainbows' without permission from the writers or Warner/Chappell. We wanted to make you aware that you need to get approval before making arrangements of other writers' work, especially if you have plans to commercially exploit the arrangements/remixes or make them publicly available … We hope to hear from you as a matter of urgency. In the meantime all of our rights and remedies and those of the band are reserved."

Basically they were using Radioheads music without permission so it looks like they would handle any legal issues over the unauthorised use of this track.

Warner/Chappell Music Limited is Radiohead's publisher and they recently took legal action against an unauthorised remix album citing:

"It has come to our attention that you have created musical arrangements/remixes of some or all of the musical works included on their recent album 'In Rainbows' without permission from the writers or Warner/Chappell. We wanted to make you aware that you need to get approval before making arrangements of other writers' work, especially if you have plans to commercially exploit the arrangements/remixes or make them publicly available … We hope to hear from you as a matter of urgency. In the meantime all of our rights and remedies and those of the band are reserved."

Basically they were using Radioheads music without permission so it looks like they would handle any legal issues over the unauthorised use of this track.

Good.... Luck that is.