Kbank: Three Emails To Branch Manager Go Unanswered

I have had great service at the Suk soi 33 branch of Kasikorn Bank. I've sent a farang and Asian friend there and they are very happy.

But . . . I've recently sent three emails to the branch manager and not one was answered.

Background: I screwed up my ATM card during the "troubles" around Songkran and couldn't get it fixed because the BofT urged banks to close because of security concerns. Naturally. But I had to return to Canada before reactivating my card.

I got a friend to get me an email address. I sent three over a seven day period, waiting 12 days (and counting) overall for a reply. I wrote as simply and briefly and politely as I could asking for the wire transfer to my Canadian bank. I figured they'd respond with a request for a registered letter or some such.

Well, you know the result already. I have an alternative now and will simply go online and transfer the money to a friend's account and get him to telex it to Canada. Wished I thought of this before.

I can only guess that the receiver didn't understand my request and simply ignored it. Bit hard to believe considering KBank at soi 33 has been so good and has so many staff who speak English. What a pain this has been overall.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

First rule of Thai business: NEVER reply to emails.

Yes very true never have i had a reply to any e mails from any company, but they do read them i once sent a complaint to Kubota Tractors head office in Bangkok, the head man from Roi et was on my doorstep within 24hours :)

I think they may be embarrassed if they get their grammar/spelling wrong, can't be no worse than mine though & i am English least my mum says i am :D

Both SCB & Bangkok Bank has responded to my emails even before I had accounts with both.

In your case since you had a good relationship with this bank I would call & be sure of the email address.

That aside I believe they cannot fix your problem while you are gone.

They will need to see you or sms a one time password to your *registered* cell if you have an internet account with them.

That at least is how the other 2... I mentioned work.

But that is just for changes to your account. I do not know if they can fix your ATM card problems via phone or emails.

I doubt they will send a new one based on that.

Your alternative that you mentioned is probably best till you return.

Edited by flying

I have had great service at the Suk soi 33 branch of Kasikorn Bank. I've sent a farang and Asian friend there and they are very happy.

But . . . I've recently sent three emails to the branch manager and not one was answered.

Background: I screwed up my ATM card during the "troubles" around Songkran and couldn't get it fixed because the BofT urged banks to close because of security concerns. Naturally. But I had to return to Canada before reactivating my card.

I got a friend to get me an email address. I sent three over a seven day period, waiting 12 days (and counting) overall for a reply. I wrote as simply and briefly and politely as I could asking for the wire transfer to my Canadian bank. I figured they'd respond with a request for a registered letter or some such.

Well, you know the result already. I have an alternative now and will simply go online and transfer the money to a friend's account and get him to telex it to Canada. Wished I thought of this before.

I can only guess that the receiver didn't understand my request and simply ignored it. Bit hard to believe considering KBank at soi 33 has been so good and has so many staff who speak English. What a pain this has been overall.

You say you "screwed up" you're ATM card. What does "screwed up" mean? The card is blocked from use? Or the card is damaged? If the card is physically damaged obviously it needs to be replaced and you will need to be there for that. If the card is blocked from use then a simple phone call and some security questions answered should get the result you need.

I would say the first emails should be directed to the online customer service agents. If you have internet banking at K bank they should have a help line/mail system for these inquiries. Or even a number to call and speak with a English speaking agent.

I would say trying to email the manager of a branch about this would be my last resort.

First rule of Thai business: NEVER reply to emails.

From what I've seen around the office I work in, the first rule is not to even open emails, let alone read them and reply to them.

Chances are the email seeking action is still in the bank manager's inbox - unread.

===clip===

You say you "screwed up" you're ATM card. What does "screwed up" mean? The card is blocked from use? Or the card is damaged? If the card is physically damaged obviously it needs to be replaced and you will need to be there for that. If the card is blocked from use then a simple phone call and some security questions answered should get the result you need.

I would say the first emails should be directed to the online customer service agents. If you have internet banking at K bank they should have a help line/mail system for these inquiries. Or even a number to call and speak with a English speaking agent.

I would say trying to email the manager of a branch about this would be my last resort.

Yes, I screwed up the PIN three times. I have several cards and mixed up the PINs. So the card got blocked. So I like your idea about calling and seeing if they'll reactivate the card after proving I'm the account holder. I'll try that.

I did email the contact address on my account page but all the response said was to contact my bank. Ahem.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Use some common sense here. Sending an email (which is likely still unopened) to the bank manager to deal with an ATM card problem makes little to no sense. Managers are above these trivial issues and know it, you will have to see a teller to get this fixed. Banks here won't even deal with this unless you are in person with passport in hand due to security risks. Since it is an ATM issue and trying to reactivate your card over the phone from outside the country probably won't resolve it.

I have just completed a book that involved (amongst other things) sending lots of emails to Thai organisations and individuals. I think I now have enough material for another book just on the email issue!

I usually tagged my emails so i could see when they were opened etc. I have emails "deleted unopened", I had emails that would do the rounds of maybe 6 people in an organisation (one would forward it to another etc) and then I would still never get a response. And of course many or even most just disappeared into cyberspace.

Many Thai web sites or documents have email addresses that don't work - they just bounce back. I suspect that some have not worked since the web site was put online. This goes the same for online response forms. Send them an email to report the problem and again, no response and one month (or six months) later the form still won't work.

In short, sending an english language email to a general email address (e.g. [email protected]) will give you a response rate of about 1%. Do it in Thai and/or send to a personal email address, and your odds go up marginally. Bank helplines and similar are patchy, you can get responses to several emails, and then next time nothing .. ever.

It's not just email from farang though, emails from other Thais get ignored just the same way. I assume it's just not seen as any kind of a priority for many people or organisations. Perhaps many rationalise it by thinking "oh, if it's important they will call or visit".

I wrote as simply and briefly and politely as I could asking for the wire transfer to my Canadian bank.

Dude, notwithstanding all the comments that Thais never answer emails anyway in business, which is very true, what bank anywhere in the world would accommodate a wire transfer request based on an email?

Your friend should have given you the 2888888 phone # for KBank and you should have phoned them.

I wrote as simply and briefly and politely as I could asking for the wire transfer to my Canadian bank.

Dude, notwithstanding all the comments that Thais never answer emails anyway in business, which is very true, what bank anywhere in the world would accommodate a wire transfer request based on an email?

Your friend should have given you the 2888888 phone # for KBank and you should have phoned them.

Further laughable calamities have befallen me . . . but first some answers:

Yes, I figured most banks would not act on an email, but in Thailand? Who knows? I might have got lucky. At the very least, they could have told me to send them a registered letter, copy of passport and signature etc.

I wrote their Contact Centre email service but all they said was to contact my bank branch.

So, what else can go wrong? BTW, I'm just trying to document some of the things that can go wrong when you're unable to deal with the bank in person.

After 12 days of waiting for email answers, I decided to check my account and see if I could transfer money online. Yes, but only to local account holders. Good, I added my friend to the receiver's list. KBank requires you choose one of two sercurity checks: A One Time Only PIN (OTP), which is issued by the system via SMS -- I'd never seen or heard of this sort of thing before. Certainly doesn't work in Canada. And the second is a second PIN number, needed to confirm every transaction. Definitely not found in Canada either.

I chose PIN2. But I have to confirm by mail or in person the addition of this person by sending a copy of my passport with signature to the branch. Huh!?!?!? OK, I'm in Canada and it would take 10 to 15 days to get mail there and who knows how long to approve and process. Yikes!

But I can change to the OTP by phoning the Contact Centre. Yay! Here's how absurd the situation got:

I phoned last Sunday night. I called twice by land line and once by Thai phone number. I could hear the phone clerk but he could NOT hear me! I yelled and, nothing. He kept saying "hello. hello. hello" Nothing! So near, yet so far to solving this problem and getting my money back to Canada. (And, yes, I checked my home phone by calling my local mobile and I could "hear myself". So somehow the KBank phone system was malfunctioning.

Phoned next day during Thai business hours and it was constantly busy. Darn!

Phoned last night and finally got the Contact Centre. I punched in the menu number for the KCyber service and NOTHING! I called again and NOTHING! The digital tones wouldn't go through. I punched every number eventually. NOTHING. I used the Thai mobile and it was the same thing. Again, blocked by a malfunctioning KBank system or ToT network. :D

Unbelievable. Don't suppose Thaksin's behind this, trying to keep my paltry dollars ;-) :)

Edited by Indochine

Yes, we could all easily guess that. You sure make things hard for yourself. Suggestion - only call during biz hours! (Thats Thai biz hours)

I just called them on another issue and got thro right away. The ext# is *9 for English then 3 for account services.