Car Can Turn Left At Red Stop Light

Not really ontopic, but in case of an accident eventual traffic rules will have no value, as a foreigner you must be very lucky not to be held responsible, simply because of the color of your skin.

I was cut off on my motorbike by a very arrogant Thai woman in a car who crossed my lane from the other side and hit her car, she was 100% wrong, but the Chiangmai touristpolice treathened with long and complicated trouble, chance to loose visa etc. if I would not simply accept responsibility (it's only 7000 bath, more easy for you...) very weird. I hate Thailand for that.

They are just not fair. So do like me drive like an idiot like the Thai and you are most safe, rules are nothing here, even owners of drivingschools don't know how to drive... :)

Edited by spaceshipcrew

Not really ontopic, but in case of an accident eventual traffic rules will have no value, as a foreigner you must be very lucky not to be held responsible, simply because of the color of your skin.

I was cut off on my motorbike by a very arrogant Thai woman in a car who crossed my lane from the other side and hit her car, she was 100% wrong, but the Chiangmai touristpolice treathened with long and complicated trouble, chance to loose visa etc. if I would not simply accept responsibility (it's only 7000 bath, more easy for you...) very weird. I hate Thailand for that.

They are just not fair. So do like me drive like an idiot like the Thai and you are most safe, rules are nothing here, even owners of drivingschools don't know how to drive... :)

You just said it yourself, you "hit her" frontal impact to your bike, cut & dried, your fault no matter what stupid manouvre she just pulled :D These days have eyes in my arse...!!

• 2 years later...

I have another question.

When driving a car and stopped at a 3 ways junction.

I want to turn right but there is a motorbike driver coming from my left who is also waiting to turn on his right at the same junction.

Should I let the motorbike go first and turn right in front of me, or should the bike wait and should i turn right in front of the bike ?

Thanks for help, i'm confused here :-)

Considering how many truck/bike accidents I hear of where the bike rider (regardless of fault) demands and frequently gets a payment from the truck/car driver...I'd let the guy go first.

If you are 100% sure you can make the turn without a close call then go for it.

Always let the bike go first, notwithstanding the fact that you can hurt him, if you do he can hurt you in the pocket :(

I nearly got a bike last week, waiting to turn right at lights, bikes all around, lights go green and everybody sets off, brain dead biker then turns right across me to do a U turn, I think I actually hit him but he buzzed off at Mach 2 so no harm done, a gnats earlier and he would have been squashed and it would have been my fault :(

My experience is that the BIB don't actually need a REAL situation to ask for an "on-the-spot fine". The other day I proudly renegotiated from an initial 1000 baht through 500 down to zero! How's that for diplomacy?

he was one hel_l of a policeman - he decided I was driving too fast AND in a wrong lane, but he obviously has X-ray eyes as he witnessed all this through the concrete walls of the building next to the tolls on the motorway! I wish we had police with supernatural powers back home - they could see houses being burgled just by looking through the walls!

So were you driving above the speed limit in the right hand lane or not?

I was at a toll gate! - how can you be in the wrong lane at a tollgate

Perhaps he had a TV Monitor in the building and saw you approach the toll booth.

Sorry to continue off topic, but couldn't resist it.