Mangoes Still In Season?

Golden Nugget

I love mangoes, but it's never in season when I'm in Thailand during the cool months. Every so often you can locate ripe ones, but I've been told that they are subjected to some sort of gas to accelerate the ripening process. Can't be all that good, but I eat it anyways. With a rare hot season trip to Thailand just around the corner, I'm looking forward to my favorite Thai fruit which happens to be a hot season fruit. Are they plentiful now? Mango and sticky rice, here I come baby!

I’m waiting for my Bowen Specials to mature and bear fruit. The trees are healthy with plenty of new growth. I can’t wait.

My Thai mango trees are covered in fruit with some just about ripe.

I'm waiting for my Bowen Specials to mature and bear fruit. The trees are healthy with plenty of new growth. I can't wait.

My Thai mango trees are covered in fruit with some just about ripe.

My lass has been down the garden this morning picking some................

My lass has been down the garden this morning picking some................

Mine too, the first ones are just ready now, crunchy and sweet. She took great delight showing me on Skype whilst I'm stuck here in India, she and her friends will have scoffed the lot by the time I get home :)

Jackfruits will be ready when I get home though, like those too :D

Tip, if your fruit isn't quite ripe when you pick it, put in a bowl with a few bananas. The bananas give off a gas which encourages ripening :D

I would imagine mangoes are in season simply because my wife has been feeding them to me for the last month. I noticed in the kitchen this morning before I left for work she had a whole basket full of them and I know she won't buy anything out of season simply because she is tight with the money.

I'm going to Bangkok on May 16th to see and get engaged to my gf  :):D:D I asked about fruit...she said mangosteens are out of season BUT Mangos are in season :D:D:D:D:D:P

I'm leaving on the same day. See you at the local mango stand! Congrats on the engagement.

Anyone care to comment about eating mango while it is still green? I prefer it with sticky rice when it turns yellow. Delightful! What's the enjoyment in eating it green?

For me it is sort of like eating thous sour candy's, you know the ones. Gummy and covered in sugar and sour as hel_l, but you cant stop torturing yourself with them ..... I guess its like that for me. I take a piece dip it in the: Sugar, salt , chili, lime juice mix.... take a bite... screw my face up like I just drank some battery acid .... dip and repeat.... lovely..

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing like a nice sweet ripe mango.. it is one of my most favored fruit's

James

My gf told me that  mangosteens are showing up at the market....25baht per kilo!!!!!  Mango and mangosteens..... :D:D:D:D may have to stay close to a toilet for the first few days though :):D:D   :D:P

thanks golden nugget.

Anyone care to comment about eating mango while it is still green? I prefer it with sticky rice when it turns yellow. Delightful! What's the enjoyment in eating it green?

I had somtam made from green mango once at Jomtien Beach and it was tasty. I don't usually like somtam...

My wife only eats them green and sour (and I only eat them yellow/orange and sweet).

It's just a preference, but it worked to her favor last week when we went to Hawaii. All the mangoes there were green, and people were just waiting for them to ripen. She was able to steal mangoes from trees all over the island, to her heart's content.

That -- and her comment that up-country in Thailand, if your mango tree isn't next to your house, people will take your mangoes -- got me thinking that the Isaan preference for green mangoes may have been an evolutionary matter. If you wait until they're ripe up-country, you may never get any!

got me thinking that the Isaan preference for green mangoes may have been an evolutionary matter. If you wait until they're ripe up-country, you may never get any!

as funny as it sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some truth to that.

about the "gassing" of unripe mangos to speed up the ripening process, i did some googling and found out they use calcium carbide stones, i think they just put these magical stones in a cardboard box with green mangos and after some time they are yellow. i worked on a drilling rig in syria many years ago, and i'm pretty sure they used calcium carbide to make acetylene for the welder's cutting torch, but i might be (and likely am) wrong.

does anyone have a more accurate description of the process? i read an article in the hindu times saying it was illegal in india, that it caused diahhrea, and added a lot of nasty trace chemicals to the fruit.

if anyone would like to add more info on this, i'd appreciate it.

thnx,

tp

Hi TP,

I tried searching for gassing bananas but never found anything, i just wanted confirmation of what the mrs was doing,

Ok, so we choose the best bananas from the farm the day before the buyer comes, these are cut into hands and washed, dried overnight, then a big plastic bin is lined with newspaper, a few hands go in, then [as you describe, carbide/aceteylene] pieces wrapped in paper go in, another layer and more gas stones in paper, once the bin is full,cover over with cloth or more paper and 36 hours, really beautiful yellow nanas,

Although mrs eats green mangoes, she has tried this gas method on mango with sucess,

She cant tell me thai name for this gas stone, but thats exactly what she asks for in the chemi shop, Gas Stone, 10 bht a small packet, usually enough to do 3 tubs of nanas, cant see a problem with fruit thats peeled, ive been eating bananas done this way for near 2 years now,

Give it a try, Cheers, Lickey..

Yes they are plentiful now during this hot season.  If you like mango with sticky rice I suggest you try them with different kind of 

fully ripen mango including:  

1)  Oak rong = อกร่อง : the original kind of mango to eat with sticky rice.  

2)  Ma ha sha nok = มหาชนก long shape very fregrant.  

3)  Nam dok mai = นำ้ดอกไม้ this one is the one you usually have as it is the most popular commercial wise.

If you order mango with sticky rice at most resturant you will almost always get Nam dok mai = นำ้ดอกไม้ variety.

I love mangoes, but it's never in season when I'm in Thailand during the cool months. Every so often you can locate ripe ones, but I've been told that they are subjected to some sort of gas to accelerate the ripening process. Can't be all that good, but I eat it anyways. With a rare hot season trip to Thailand just around the corner, I'm looking forward to my favorite Thai fruit which happens to be a hot season fruit. Are they plentiful now? Mango and sticky rice, here I come baby!

• 4 months later...

I'm new this forum and I'm not sure of what I'm doing. I am in Arizona, USA and getting ready to plant some tropical fruit. One of my most wanted and best remembered is a green mango that I had when I was in Thailand in the 1970s. It was not sour! It was green with almost white flesh, very slight yellow tinted. The flavor was lightly mango and mildly sweet. I was all over Thailand and remember being able to get them everywhere. Does this sound like and variety that you know of. I have been all over the internet and have come up with three types (Okrung, Kheio Savoy (Keo Sevoy, Kyo Savoy), Brahm Kai Meu) but I can't find enough information to know which one if any is the one I want. I only have room in my yard to plant one tree so I need to get it right. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks and God Bless

Umpah :)

• 1 year later...

Having grown mangoes in Hawaii, I can tell you that the fruit is ripe about four months after the tree flowers.Mangoes often flower twice, the second time about 3 months after the first set. There are well over a dozen varieties of Thai mango, some of which flower very early, some very late,and everything in between. Ripe mangoes seem to only be unavailable at the markets from November to early February. It is rare to drive in the countryside at any time of year and not see mango trees in bloom. Just because your market in Bankok doesn't have, that doesn't mean the country side doesn't. My favorite? Gaew Yaak.

I'm new this forum and I'm not sure of what I'm doing. I am in Arizona, USA and getting ready to plant some tropical fruit. One of my most wanted and best remembered is a green mango that I had when I was in Thailand in the 1970s. It was not sour! It was green with almost white flesh, very slight yellow tinted. The flavor was lightly mango and mildly sweet. I was all over Thailand and remember being able to get them everywhere. Does this sound like and variety that you know of. I have been all over the internet and have come up with three types (Okrung, Kheio Savoy (Keo Sevoy, Kyo Savoy), Brahm Kai Meu) but I can't find enough information to know which one if any is the one I want. I only have room in my yard to plant one tree so I need to get it right. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks and God Bless

Umpah :)

I think Kheio Savoy (เขียวเสวย) is the type you are looking for.

Mangos at this time of year are absolutely delicious! In smoothies, on their own, and I even sometimes chop it for a salad. Really yum. But the best thing about being in Thailand has got to be the availability of sticky rice and mango everywhere. Its super easy to cook though and when I have been in Australia and made this for my friends they just went crazy over it laugh.gif

http://www.thaifood-recipes.com/sweet_rice_with_mango/

Mangos at this time of year are absolutely delicious! In smoothies, on their own, and I even sometimes chop it for a salad.

Yes, very good in both, as well as one of my favorites, yam mamuang.

We grow mangoes and to follow up from the previous poster, we get two harvests a year, roughly about 6 months apart. Our spring harvest is just starting to come in. Anyone in Ayutthaya or Phetchabun area needing small or large amounts, please PM. Autumn harvest arrives in November. Here in the states, mangoes come from Central America. Pretty good, but more expensive and not as tasty as our own.