Ubc/true Vision

jamesjdaly

The UBC/True Vision monopoly are stopping the BBC Entertainment channel as from 1 June. This was my favourite channel and after 10 years of giving my money to them (Platinum package), I have decided to give these people the elbow for their poor service, attitude and being fobbed off on the phone everytime I call about a technical fault.

What are the alternatives to these conmen? I live in an residential apartment block with no 'stolen' satellite tv and I don't want to watch those awful Thai soaps every night!!

What about cable tv? Does anyone out there have it? Is it pricey? What channels can you get?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have had enough of the UBC/True Vision mafia. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UBC/True Vision monopoly are stopping the BBC Entertainment channel as from 1 June. This was my favourite channel and after 10 years of giving my money to them (Platinum package), I have decided to give these people the elbow for their poor service, attitude and being fobbed off on the phone everytime I call about a technical fault.

What are the alternatives to these conmen? I live in an residential apartment block with no 'stolen' satellite tv and I don't want to watch those awful Thai soaps every night!!

What about cable tv? Does anyone out there have it? Is it pricey? What channels can you get?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have had enough of the UBC/True Vision mafia. :)

there is no alternative ,satelite is usless ,its them or nothing ,thats why they treat us so badly.

There's no real alternative.

They are a monopoly, just like many large Thai companies, not to mention a rip-off.

The only reason I have it is for the European football and I resent paying them a single Satang.

In Australia for the same price as the TrueVisions Gold Package I could have Fox HD with 30+ channels with some in glorious high definition.

The other day I was in my local mall and the TrueVisions store had one of their channels on a 42" plasma HDTV. The picture was barely legible. Sums them up IMO.

Edited by Oberkommando

There is an alternative and that's Philipino 'Dream Key'. I paid a fixed fee for my dish and box. I get English speaking channels etc and it's all free. They change their code a few times a day, but you just go on the internet and get a new code. Simple, I recommend it if you have a computer.

Does anyone know a single satisfied Truevisions customer? Took mine out last December after 7 years of poor service, poor programmes and lies about new dish refund; only received 30% of my deposit and they have just sent another bill after 5 months removal of their system. They are absolute rogues -- total boycot is the only answer for an improved service. I've done my part. Our local cable is OK for 200 baht.

Does anyone know a single satisfied Truevisions customer? Took mine out last December after 7 years of poor service, poor programmes and lies about new dish refund; only received 30% of my deposit and they have just sent another bill after 5 months removal of their system. They are absolute rogues -- total boycot is the only answer for an improved service. I've done my part. Our local cable is OK for 200 baht.

Never had a problem in either Khon Kaen or Pattaya for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately I feel BBC Entertainment is an embarrassment...they have more repeats and broken promises than any other service! I realise that all channels have repeats but 6 hours of Come Dancing in one night is a bit off!

Ok , you now have met a single satisfied customer of UBC/True.

I have had the service in Pattaya and now Banchang for 3 years and I find the service and customer service to be fine. No complaints about customer service at all. Could the programming be more to MY liking? Of course, but I am one farang in a sea of Thais and other Farangs.

True provides me with a good signal and the programs they offer. If I have an issue they resolve it. I get what I pay for and I cannot complain.

The service and signal quality are certainly as good as what I had from DirectTv in the US back 4 years ago.

I have no need or desire to fool around with pirated signals and downloading keycodes. I do not have any cable where I live. Over the air Thai TV is not for me.

Never had a problem in either Khon Kaen or Pattaya for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately I feel BBC Entertainment is an embarrassment...they have more repeats and broken promises than any other service! I realise that all channels have repeats but 6 hours of Come Dancing in one night is a bit off!

unfortunately there are too many repeats but this happens on HBO and all the other channels, 24 hour TV must have repeats but programs like Spooks, Silent Witness, New Tricks etc are not on other channels and there has been lots of complaints about changing a service without even asking the subscribers. Same with sport, i have asked why no Pay4view rugby? i can watch American University basketball, Little league baseball but even when offering to pay i can watch the English Rugby Premiership or The Ashes, so the management do not really care. I have two decoders so my wife can watch the Soap Operas whilst watch other programs; may be time for a change

Edited by willogs

I bought an HD TV with RGB connection and hooked it up to a PC I watch anything I want when I want on demand live streaming video or download the video. The good news is it is all free. I can currently get all the shows from England, USA and Canada including shows like Real Time, The Daily Show, Letterman, Leno, etc. The only draw back is there is not really a decent server to provide CNN and BBC news because the streaming video is to slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I´m having trouble to believe those here who say they have never had any problems, I used to stay in east pattaya, jomtien, bangkok central pattaya and all those places had the same problems, if it was raining you couldn´t watch. On the top of that I had to call them couple of times from all locations cause of technical errors and then the pain starts, they just hang up when they don´t know the answer which is usually and I have to say it´s the worst service i´ve had in my whole life. I´m surely going to give them the elbow as many others I think, but it seems they just don´t give a f***** whatsoever about they´re costumers.

jamesjdaly

If you live in Pattaya there is one big poster on the traffic lights Pattaya thai and 3´rd road and you cant miss it when you come to the traffic lights from Sukhumvit Rd. I´ve seen they offer satellite tv and simular price to the UBC crap. I´m gonna give it a look better myself, could be it.

Out here in the sticks (Trat) I buy a bogus UBC DSat smartcard for 200 baht that provides the full Gold package for 4-6 weeks. When UBC finally figures out what's up and disables the card I buy another one. Sure beats paying 1,412.97 baht a month...

There's no legal alternative in Thailand.

There used to be two satellite companies competing with each other, IBC and UTV, and they both were losing money big time. Then they merged into UBC and UBC was losing money big time for about ten years before breaking even just a couple of years ago.

There aren't too many people in Thailand who would pay for watching English language programs and UBC/True isn't buying expensive TV rights out of charity.

Philippines and Malaysia have bigger market but their prices are roughly similar, despite what everyone says here. They offer a lof of crap channels for nothing, but if you want HBO and football it will cost just about the same.

HD TV is coming hot on the heels of 3G, which will be introduced right after Bangkok Winter Olympics.

I have to say I´m having trouble to believe those here who say they have never had any problems, I used to stay in east pattaya, jomtien, bangkok central pattaya and all those places had the same problems, if it was raining you couldn´t watch. On the top of that I had to call them couple of times from all locations cause of technical errors and then the pain starts, they just hang up when they don´t know the answer which is usually and I have to say it´s the worst service i´ve had in my whole life. I´m surely going to give them the elbow as many others I think, but it seems they just don´t give a f***** whatsoever about they´re costumers.

I am another one who has never had any problems, and have had UBC for nearly 4 years now, yes plenty of repeats on the channels, but techical problems no...

As mentioned in other thread there are local alternative cable systems in many locations - but they are designed for Thai audience. My local area system here in Bangkok has 80 channels available at a cost of about 300 baht per month. And you don't need to use a converter box.

You can also have a satelite with programmes from South Africa which are mainly in English and include many sports channels (premier league) and also a couple of BBC channels. Why not ask at any of the many satelite shops scattered about, they arent there just exclusively for UBC.

HL :)

As for alternatives there are PSI sat and YTV cable.

Psi sat I think might have BBC, but not sure. I gave away my old system because it was useless. I couldn't watch anything and never had a program schedule. Most programs were from India, China, Vietnam, etc.

YTV at about 300-400baht per month has channels that are mostly in Thai language. The quality and the signal is also sub standard.

As for UBC going HD? I think Bangkok has better chances of having a fully functional mass transit system.

There are hundreds of satellite/cable companies in Thailand, none, however, would offer you legal HBO/ESPN/Premier League football.

South African company subscription costs a lot more than UBC, and it's illegal, and there will be no Thai subtitles/dub, and there are less channels.

Out here in the sticks (Trat) I buy a bogus UBC DSat smartcard for 200 baht that provides the full Gold package for 4-6 weeks. When UBC finally figures out what's up and disables the card I buy another one. Sure beats paying 1,412.97 baht a month...

Amazing why would anyone admit to theft on a public forum, it's true crime doesn't pay as most criminals are stupid and tell everyone what they do.

I've called their Bangkok number many many times over the years. Almost every time it has been a nightmare with being shunted from extension to extension, then the line goes dead.

However recently we needed to replace the remote control. It had been dropped many times by my kids and eventually failed. We called and:

- First reply was "It's not possible to replace the remote, bye"

- Second call "Replacement remote costs 100Baht but you have to come True head office to collect it".

- Third call "Replacement remote costs 100Baht, what time would be convenient for service man to call? In fact the young man who brought the new remote was very helpful, very polite and very pleasant. He apologized that his English was poor but in fact it was quite good. He asked if he could try to improve the reception and he did, and he taught my kids how to occasionally re-program the TV to try to improve the picture.

A few months back they had a competition for kids to select which English sentence was correct - select from two sentences.

Both sentences were wrong. I called and after being shunted several times an abrupt woman came on the line and said 'what's the problem'.

I replied that I wanted to inform them both sentences were wrong. Her reply was 'it's not your business' and hung up.

Great PR.

I also like BBCE but it will be intresting to see what AXN beyond brings, BBCE has some decent drama but its repeated often and episodes are out of order.

I was told about www.zattoo.com its online TV but they are not yet doing Thailand, the problem is you end up watching UK TV at UK times so nothing much on until midnight Thai time but it may be of intrest for anyone who wants to record and watch when it is avaialable here.

...I also like BBCE but it will be intresting to see what AXN beyond brings, BBCE has some decent drama but its repeated often and episodes are out of order...

Exactly why I'm going to give them a month - to see what AXN Beyond has on it.

I also hate the out-of-sequence series episodes... people married one week, getting engaged the next... :)

I'm also downloading lots of BBC series - so I'm already ahead of what's being broadcast. But it's the convenience factor that is missing - can't just switch on the TV and watch.

Amazing why would anyone admit to theft on a public forum,..

Probably because it's anonymous.