Tiling On Top Of Tiles (floor)

ukfool

thank you for your explaination,

you way does work definately, but i believe it is more suited to, as youve already stated, hotels/etc.

most hotels want to save money,no mess,quick job.

however, most hotel rooms have only one room,with a bathroom.the bathroom step down created by using this method is acceptable, as is the step-up into the main room.

the people that stay in the hotel use it for maybe 2 weeks, to sleep/shower/change etc. not to live in. they can get over the fact of the irregularities.

i dont believe most people who live in a house would think it was such a good idea after a while of living there.

especially if there were other adjoining rooms where the step down/up would be more noticeable.

the best method is still to remove the existing tiles, this is alot more work but the end result is much better.

this of course is my best advise i would give anyone who wanted this job done.

but, the op wants an easy way out, so probably your way would suit him.

:):D

regards

splitlid (shining in lack of experience)

No where in my posts did I say this method is more suitable for hotels/etc. It's suitable for residential, commercial, industrial. Floors, walls, ceilings, swimming pools, etc.,and your issues about the big step down? there is NO STEP DOWN if a new threshold is installed, or if not, the step down is a mere 1/2" at most or the thickness of the new tile. You can also stick in the plastic 1/4 round that's widely available for use on stairways, etc.....You keep giving advise based on no experience...."the best method is still to remove the existing tiles, this is alot more work but the end result is much better" ? ......."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"......and trying to explain something to someone who doesn't have any hands-on experience is futile. In addition, my reply was to the OP who hasn't bothered to acknowledge any of the post after asking for help.....Once again, my reply and subsequent instructions are based on 40 years in construction and not hearsay....or unqualified advise from other posters....bottom line, do it the way you want to.....

Edited by excaliber

arrrr the joys of having a mod delete your rants.

i was referring to the only example you gave where your method worked, i cant remember the name, but i recall xxx amount of rooms being done in this method in a hotel in samui?

you did say that didnt you?

:)

arrrr the joys of having a mod delete your rants.

i was referring to the only example you gave where your method worked, i cant remember the name, but i recall xxx amount of rooms being done in this method in a hotel in samui?

you did say that didnt you?

No, I didn't...It appears your reading & retention span is limited as well......"Rants"?........look Splitlid, there are probably thousands of examples on the internet if you're really interested and/or capable. Or is your agenda just to disagree with people based on what, your lack of experience? I Know it works. I was paid for making it work, and used this process for many years....If you don't agree, fine, but to try and convince other people it doesn't work is kind of immature... this site where you can post all the information/instructions/guidance/recommendations, etc., with little or no experience at all seems to be more accepted.....so I will bow out and not "Rant" anymore.....you may want to consider one thing....there is the possiblility that maybe someone will take advantage of professional advise on this forum instead of mis-guided recommendations from the non-experienced.....can we assume you'll probably start crying "why are you abusing me" again?

Edited by excaliber

well i hope no one else has the retention and reading capabilities as me. :)

would be wierd if someone else imagined seeing that.

i have no issues with you method, i have agreed that it works in some situations.

cheap,quick and easy. but, maybe a few issues.

if thats what you want, then its the best advice.

thank you for your explaination,

you way does work definately, but i believe it is more suited to, as youve already stated, hotels/etc.

most hotels want to save money,no mess,quick job.

however, most hotel rooms have only one room,with a bathroom.the bathroom step down created by using this method is acceptable, as is the step-up into the main room.

the people that stay in the hotel use it for maybe 2 weeks, to sleep/shower/change etc. not to live in. they can get over the fact of the irregularities.

i dont believe most people who live in a house would think it was such a good idea after a while of living there.

especially if there were other adjoining rooms where the step down/up would be more noticeable.

the best method is still to remove the existing tiles, this is alot more work but the end result is much better.

this of course is my best advise i would give anyone who wanted this job done.

but, the op wants an easy way out, so probably your way would suit him.

:):D

regards

splitlid (shining in lack of experience)

one more Rant.....you think hotels prefer this method because it's cheap and fast? A hotel can't afford to re-do room floors. It's noisy, dusty, etc. The process I've described has more integrity than the "old fashioned way". Certainly it's faster since you don't have to tear out the existing floor. You say that it works in some applications, Which one's? where wouldn't it work? and what other issues? I've tried to explain how to overcome them but it appears you didn't accept them either ....the OP who wanted to know if tiles can be applied over existing tiles has yet to return or respond, kind of rude I think. So my recommendation to him: take your advice and the advice of Lopburi3, etc., and tear it all out....and do it the hard way....

This forum covers much more than DIY. My advise on doing floor tile is to hire prefessionals - but do it the Thai way. There is no problem with material disposal in Thailand (it is used for fill). In 35 years of living in the same home we have redone floors a number of times and have not had loose tile (ever) nor cracking grout. If I were going to do the work myself your methods would be well worthwhile - but at labor costs here - and the fact we are not supposed to work - believe doing it the Thai way makes more sense.

This forum covers much more than DIY. My advise on doing floor tile is to hire prefessionals - but do it the Thai way. There is no problem with material disposal in Thailand (it is used for fill). In 35 years of living in the same home we have redone floors a number of times and have not had loose tile (ever) nor cracking grout. If I were going to do the work myself your methods would be well worthwhile - but at labor costs here - and the fact we are not supposed to work - believe doing it the Thai way makes more sense.

and, in line with your advice, might as well do the electrical, plumbing, etc., "the Thai way".......and what if you live on the 15th floor and want to re-do the floor? same advice? all the neighbors just love the hours of pounding out the old tile. ....like I said, many times, it's much easier to do it the right way. Over the past 25 years I've managed a lot of construction projects throughout the Kingdom and at first, most were resistant to my ideas/experience (used in the west for over 30 years) but ultimately took the right approach and covered the existing tiles using the proper materials and methods I've described........I've taught Thai's how to do this and they catch on very quick, even upcountry workers.....This country has a way to go to catch up to western standards in many areas of construction: concrete (this is a big one), tile, electrical, plumbing, gypsum, roofing, swimming pools, etc., etc., etc.. so as you suggest, doing it "the Thai way", is sometimes acceptable although some people prefer integrity, longevity and long lasting eye appeal; but I understand your issues; a lot of people have difficulty with improvements & innovation and think the "old way" is best. and might I ask, what profession you are, or were in?

Everything I v done previously in Europe has been the modern way.

In one house here we removed 130 sqm of tiles and mortar with a jackhammer in one day, and layed a new granite floor the thai way in 4 days. 3 bed, 2 bath, 3 levels. Work 160 baht/sqm included removal of debris. Same level as the tiles where before, so no problem with doors.

I am not here to argue. If you want my history read the posts I have made.

excuse me? you've been arguing the point of "the Thai way" verses another way; but since you have 16 million posts compared to my paltry 100, that makes your words more substantial? All I asked was a simple question without having to read through all your posts....what profession are you or were you in? If a banker advises me on what schools to send my children to, I might have second thoughts.....,.not a tough question Lopburi3.....your profession please?

Everything I v done previously in Europe has been the modern way.

In one house here we removed 130 sqm of tiles and mortar with a jackhammer in one day, and layed a new granite floor the thai way in 4 days. 3 bed, 2 bath, 3 levels. Work 160 baht/sqm included removal of debris. Same level as the tiles where before, so no problem with doors.

Case Closed....

i have asked you serious questions and you get so upset and dont want to explain to us.

all you do is keep abusing me.

:D:D

very sad really.

Serious questions? upset? abusing you? ...I just receive a pm from another forum member, his words,

"Good job I agree with you, I always wonder why I bother to post helpful info here".

Maybe the people who run this forum should make an attempt to make it more 'user/giver friendly'.

and what happened to the original poster? I was trying to answer HIS questions, not respond to your sniveling.....

hahahahaha and yet here you are quoting a senoir member as support.

pm as well

as you say: case closed.

When I bought my current condo, it had a basic cheap tile flooring that I wanted replaced. The two Thai laborers that my contractor used pulled up the existing tiles fairly quickly (one day?), but took several messy days to chisel off the tile cement from the concrete floor. I was glad there was only a few pieces of furniture in the unit because the dust was *everywhere.*

How necessary is it to remove the old tile cement? Wouldn't the new layer of cement being used to attach the new tiles fill in the grooves and patterns in the old cement?

(Please don't flame me like some of the others above!)