Re Installing Xp On A Dual Boot System

Niloc

I have a dual boot system (Ubuntu 8.04 and Win XP Pro) and I need to re-install XP, it is riddled with virus and I need to do a recompile for a utility I wrote for ThaiVisa (the 90 day calculator).

How do I reinstall XP whilst keeping Ubuntu??

Thanks,

Colin

Assuming you have the two on separate partitions or even disks, just reformat the windows partition, reinstall XP there and then reinstall GRUB using your Ubuntu 8 live CD in rescue mode or see, I think, the 3rd post down here on accessing the menu.lst config file:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-56668.html

K.

Edited by phaethon

I cannot re-install XP, I formatted the partition (/dev/sda1) but XP just goes into the Setup routine and never gets installed. I try to create a new partition but Win can only see 494 MB....

Any suggestions?

You format the partition and then boot and install XP from its CD or recovery partition, Linux is not involved (where are you getting /dev/sda1 from?) until after you have completed the XP installation when you then boot from the Ubuntu8 live CD and restore Grub. You shouldn't need to create a new partition if you only formatted the XP partition.

As I said, I cannot do an installation so I never have a 'Completed' XP installation.

/dev/sda1 I got from gParted. How can I tell XP to install where I want it, I am afraid it might overwrite Ubuntu...

Colin

As I said, I cannot do an installation so I never have a 'Completed' XP installation.

/dev/sda1 I got from gParted. How can I tell XP to install where I want it, I am afraid it might overwrite Ubuntu...

Colin

You could always run XP in a VM client in your linux, I do and it works just as fast and for compiling too.

He Niloc, I included on a separated CD-rom a two versions of Crossover Office Professional an Crossover Office Games (the latest version), normally one of this packages are not free. But as I have several licenses , and got several "lame duck" licenses to freely distribute around friends.

Sorry I have no more to give, so please not email me...

With Crossover Office Professional it is possible to run, without any delay, some MS Windows software. Personally I run Dreamweaver MX 8, direct from my Ubuntu desktop, it is faster then I ever run it from Windows XP.... (Yes, people, MS Windows programs running faster in Ubuntu... so funny) O, you need to upgrade Dreamweaver 8, to dreamweaver 8.02 to make it work very good... Not forget to use the same bottle as you installed Dreamweaver 8...

I have friends who installed Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 with Crossover Office 7.10 Professional, but then I not have a legal version of Dreamweaver CS4, and not see the benefit to upgrade... (right now)

Edited by Richard-BKK