Thai Pubs For 30+ Middle Class

kyb789

Does anyone know where the Thai's go to dance the night away? Put it this way, if there are more than 2 foreigners inside, then you've got the wrong place. I'm not talking about Sukhumvit or Silom. I want to find a place where the Thai middle class will go to hear a Thai band play Thai music for an older crowd. Does such a place exist? Even in my home country, these places marketed for the 30+ middle class are rare. I'm not talking about restaurants, or sit down dinner pubs. I'm talking about dance venues where people mingle and meet others singles of like minds.

Of course, there are many of them. Usually they have a house band who plays Carabao favorites and stuff like that. Every city has something close. If you're in Bangkok, the Country Place on Chaengwattana is such a place. There are many more.

Does anyone know where the Thai's go to dance the night away? Put it this way, if there are more than 2 foreigners inside, then you've got the wrong place. I'm not talking about Sukhumvit or Silom. I want to find a place where the Thai middle class will go to hear a Thai band play Thai music for an older crowd. Does such a place exist? Even in my home country, these places marketed for the 30+ middle class are rare. I'm not talking about restaurants, or sit down dinner pubs. I'm talking about dance venues where people mingle and meet others singles of like minds.

Well if I tell you where I go that will make two of us and therefore won't qualify for being the right place.

I suggest your try Ubon Rachatananai, guaranteed to only find Thais listening to that crap they play on UBC Channel 25 or something.

Seriously, you want to go to a place where you are the only farang in the joint? Issues have ya?

Of course, there are many of them. Usually they have a house band who plays Carabao favorites and stuff like that. Every city has something close. If you're in Bangkok, the Country Place on Chaengwattana is such a place. There are many more.

I'll second that, I had a great night out in The Country Place a few years ago. It also has a nice seating area outside if the music is to loud for you inside.

John.....

I'll second that, I had a great night out in The Country Place a few years ago. It also has a nice seating area outside if the music is to loud for you inside.

John.....

Keep the suggestions coming please. Yes I am in Bangkok. The few times I have been around real Thai venues I have had the best of times. Tired of the usual haunts. Unfortunately most Thai pubs are "sit-down, eat your food, drink with friends" type of places. The profession-class Thai's are extremely friendly, respectful, and normal people. It is a refreshing change from the circus acts in the tourist areas. Love to find a dance and mingle place for older crowds. Too old for RCA.

Sorry but Country Place doesn't really qualify for what I am looking for. Country Place is your typical sit-down and eat pub with dancing. Young crowd. Think more like Spasso with Thai band and average age ~35-45.

Edited by kyb789

The obvious answer is Ratchadapisek sois 4-8. MRT stop Thailand Cultural Center. Some of the places are for a younger crowd but some of the clubs in there have an older crowd. I've heard Dance Fever is one that does.

Hmm, reading again I'm not sure if fits your requirements, but you could try.

Edited by Jimjim

The obvious answer is Ratchadapisek sois 4-8. MRT stop Thailand Cultural Center. Some of the places are for a younger crowd but some of the clubs in there have an older crowd. I've heard Dance Fever is one that does.

So far no one is even close. Everyone has suggested the typical 20+ crowd. A 45yr old Thai Managing Director isn't going to be hanging out at any of these places with his hi-so office associates unless he's being dragged by his 27 yr old girlfriend. Neither would a 37 yr old Thai professional lady dressing up for the evening.

The wine bridge on lang-suan is pretty much exactly 30-40 age range, and has a live and loud band. Can't imagine any of them would want to speak to alone foreigner though. They're very groupy as can be expected in a place for working Thais. If you're looking for some middle aged woman, Tappas on Soi4 has a fair few there's westerners there which is why Thais looking for westerners go there. If you're looking for business connections or a job, just make appointments to see them at their office....It's much better than intruding on people's night out in a noisy night club. As for friends, most of the reliable ones you're likely to meet will be via work, business deals or studying.

Well if I tell you where I go that will make two of us and therefore won't qualify for being the right place.

And if a told BkkJames were i go ,, well that would make a " Crowd " and we cant have that ,,

I could recommend the Cros,,,,,,, no better not , In house Joke, sorry :)

So far no one is even close. Everyone has suggested the typical 20+ crowd. A 45yr old Thai Managing Director isn't going to be hanging out at any of these places with his hi-so office associates unless he's being dragged by his 27 yr old girlfriend. Neither would a 37 yr old Thai professional lady dressing up for the evening.

Exactly, all those places they mentioned are where I go... and get picked up by teenage girls, those crowds are between 16 and 26. Definately NOT the older crowd, have to politely tell some of the too young ones (underage) to go away before the RCMP swoop down and arrest me lol.

The places I know that get the 30ish Thai professionals are along Narathiwas between Sathorn and Rachadapisek, but they are mostly the sit down dinner and drink with friends sort of places that the OP does not want to go to.

TH

One of the problems with the request here is that regular Thai people, in general, don't have/use American style discos where the focus is all dancing/mingling. That took a while for me to understand here.

Rather, the model for Thais here, of any age I'd say, is the pub/restaurant type place where people drink and/or eat at their table, and then dance around that table and sometimes socialize with others they meet there or nearby.

The poster above mentioned Spasso. And while that has its own separate dedicated dance floor, it's also part of an Italian restaurant and really is a farang-oriented place. I don't know many middle class or middle aged Thai folks who go there, except for Thai freelancer women looking for farangs.

One poster above mentioned Tawandang pub/restaurant on Rama III... I'd concur and say that is a pretty good choice, in terms of getting closer to what the OP wants. Although it is a restaurant with pretty good food, you can go there just to drink and sit at a table or around the bar, if you like. There is no separate, dedicated dance floor.... but the crowd generally is very mixed with lots of people in their 30s, 40s, and younger and older too....and many expensive imported cars parked outside.

The music starts out earlier in the evening with a rotating mix of styles -- Thai pop songs, Isan songs, Western oldies and such... But by later in the evening, the band segues more to Thai music suitable for dancing -- though not exactly western disco music...

Last time I was there, I was amazed by a Thai group next to us that included a nicely dressed 50s something Thai man with a very attractive Thai female companion maybe in her late 20s or early 30s... The older guy was out in the aisle, strutting his stuff all night...and a pretty darned good dancer. He definitely was putting John Travolta to shame... :)

I suggest your try Ubon Rachatananai, guaranteed to only find Thais listening to that crap they play on UBC Channel 25 or something.

Seriously, you want to go to a place where you are the only farang in the joint? Issues have ya?

:) that made me laugh,