New Sheriff In Town

cmdream

Just read an interview with the new Commander of CM Police. He makes some interesting statements about his job responsibilities and his vision for the future of CM. Makes for good insight into how khun Thai think about visitors and expats.

If his bite is as good as his bark we are in for a little adjustment. The interview is online at chiangmainews.com. How do you read him? The usual cop haters and urban legend bar story posters need not respond.

Sawasdee Khrup, ChiangMaiDream,

Thanks for the link. I read the article. A cut above the usual CityLife drivel, I think.

I am curious : when Mai, Major General Sommai is quoted as saying :

"Pubs and restaurants will close at midnight and discos and bars can stay open until 2 a.m.,"

What is the distinction, in Thai law, between a pub and a bar ?

regards, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, ChiangMaiDream,

Thanks for the link. I read the article. A cut above the usual CityLife drivel, I think.

I am curious : when Mai, Major General Sommai is quoted as saying :

"Pubs and restaurants will close at midnight and discos and bars can stay open until 2 a.m.,"

What is the distinction, in Thai law, between a pub and a bar ?

regards, ~o:37;

Hi o37, Good question, was wondering myself. Perhaps one of our TV members who operate bars and or pubs can chime in with the answer. Also have any of them had a visit from the BIB about the 12 midnite closing law. The big bike

crackdown took place last month when they confiscated about 100 big bikes.

Not same old, same old as some would have us believe.

Seems like a reverse, normally if you want to drink after the bars close, you go to a restaurant, late night noodles and beer usually available until 4 or 5 am. Does this mean these type of places will close?

No, it doesn't. :D

But it's *SO* reassuring to see where the priorities are for the Royal Thai Police. Helmets, bike registration, and bar closing times.

We are so fortunate to live in a place where these things are the biggest problems around! :)!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Seems like a reverse, normally if you want to drink after the bars close, you go to a restaurant, late night noodles and beer usually available until 4 or 5 am. Does this mean these type of places will close?

No worries mate, those noodle and beer shops are a tradition in CM.

One needs a belly full after a night on the town. Don't drive!! That is what the Tuk-Tuks are there for. 100 Baht and your home safe. His statement about CM being a cultural city verses becoming another Pattaya is what impressed. A good administrator will look at the stats and see where the trouble spots are for visitors and residents. His job is safety for the city and it appears he takes the job seriously. Good on him.

His statement about CM being a cultural city verses becoming another Pattaya is what impressed

Actually, this image of Chiang Mai being a tranquil cultural capital of Thailand lives predominantly in the heads of some Bangkok law makers. Then they cut Pattaya and Phuket all kinds of slack, but for Chiang Mai, noooooo Chiang Mai has to be preserved like a museum. They have no clue at all about tourism, or even the rights of locals to enjoy themselves. They think tourists go to Chiang Mai to visit temples 24/7 where in fact after visiting a temple or market or two they DO want to go hang out at THC, Rasta Bars, Spotlight, Bubbles and so on and get off their heads properly like everyone else.

It usually takes a while for new police chiefs to settle in, but in the end they always do.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No, it doesn't. :D

But it's *SO* reassuring to see where the priorities are for the Royal Thai Police. Helmets, bike registration, and bar closing times.

We are so fortunate to live in a place where these things are the biggest problems around! :) !

WinnieTheKwai, you forgot to mention the crackdown on drunk drivers or is this to close to home !! Let us hear about the things that you think are the "biggest problems around".

you forgot to mention the crackdown on drunk drivers or is this to close to home !! Let us hear about the things that you think are the "biggest problems around".

First of all let me apologize for wrongly assuming that everyone would see the blooming obvious when it's right in front of them. So let's see, not in any particular order:

- Theft/burglary

- Domestic violence

- Murder

- Drug offenses

- Human trafficking

- Poaching / envorinmental / pollution offenses

- Corruption in general

- Keeping people in brightly coloured shirts out of airports and ASEAN summits

- and yes, drunk driving.

And probably several others. I'm not sure the Royal Thai Police force is really up to those tasks.. see how much effort they put in when reporting any of the above, versus the effort in fining school girls not wearing helmets 100 baht. Now there's a task they're very competent at!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Actually this new chief was previously stationed in Korat, not Big Mango.

He quite simply states that he will be enforcing laws that are already on the books, but that have not been enforced previously.

In the Big Mango, if one attempts to ride a motorbike up Sukhumvit without a helmet, you will make it about 2 blocks before you are pulled over and fined.

Here, every day, I see literally hundreds, if not thousands of people stream through intersections where I am waiting, with no helmet.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, to enforce the existing laws, if they save lives.

Just my 25 satang.

Actually this new chief was previously stationed in Korat, not Big Mango.

He quite simply states that he will be enforcing laws that are already on the books, but that have not been enforced previously.

And I wish him the best of luck doing that.

If he really did though then this forum wouldn't have many moderators, unless they all had work permits for this specific company or were living outside of Thailand. And there wouldn't be prostitution, or any of the apparently lesser issues I listed above. :)

[Edit: Yes, helmets are important too.]

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

you forgot to mention the crackdown on drunk drivers or is this to close to home !! Let us hear about the things that you think are the "biggest problems around".

First of all let me apologize for wrongly assuming that everyone would see the blooming obvious when it's right in front of them. So let's see, not in any particular order:

- Theft/burglary

- Domestic violence

- Murder

- Drug offenses

- Human trafficking

- Poaching / envorinmental / pollution offenses

- Corruption in general

- Keeping people in brightly coloured shirts out of airports and ASEAN summits

- and yes, drunk driving.

And probably several others. I'm not sure the Royal Thai Police force is really up to those tasks.. see how much effort they put in when reporting any of the above, versus the effort in fining school girls not wearing helmets 100 baht. Now there's a task they're very competent at!

Your list can apply to any city in the world. We are only concerned with our sweet little city of Chiang Mai. Any improvement from the powers in charge is welcome. My apologies for the windbag comment, I have seen your avatar on so many posts that I had the feeling that you have nothing better to do. Every city has its problems with those that take advantage of inept law enforcement. If this new commander can do something to make CM a better and safer place to visit and live for all of us than we should support him. Sawasdee Kup.

Also, yesterday I happened to read City Life alongside a Bangok magazine called Chilli <something> which contained considerably more drivel and pictures of wannabe high-so people at gala events, however that one costs 100 baht.. So there you go. :)

Another interesting thing about Chiang mai city life is that it shows so well what happened to Chiang Mai over the past decades.. Like put this month's issue next to one of 5 years ago, and of those 10 and 15 years ago (CM news letter then) and notice the difference..