Looking To Move To Samui, Is Finding A Job Realistic ?

Dont be put off by negative comments. There is work if you look for it...I have worked the past 6 yrears with only a few months break which was my own choice. most people just cant be ars*8d and havnt got a clue about networking.....have a look on the jobs in this site...can already see 2 in Samui...

ya, have a look, time share salesman, thb 9000/month "chef" and a "high commission" salary (read: NO salary) "sales rep" for something no one wants to buy :) ...you can network your arse off but if you have no applicable/needed skills and/or if you are not willing to work illegally and you don't find a job here BEFORE you come here...you will NOT find a job...not a decent one anyway. Sorry, but THAT is honest and accurate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont be put off by negative comments. There is work if you look for it...I have worked the past 6 yrears with only a few months break which was my own choice. most people just cant be ars*8d and havnt got a clue about networking.....have a look on the jobs in this site...can already see 2 in Samui...

ya, have a look, time share salesman, thb 9000/month "chef" and a "high commission" salary (read: NO salary) "sales rep" for something no one wants to buy :) ...you can network your arse off but if you have no applicable/needed skills and/or if you are not willing to work illegally and you don't find a job here BEFORE you come here...you will NOT find a job...not a decent one anyway. Sorry, but THAT is honest and accurate.

Absolute rubbish. I have always worked legally, WP in every position I have had. Who says nobody wants to buy timeshare....if you are willing to work hard the money is there....if you call 170,000 baht a month poor money then think again...if a sales rep cant live on his commission, he should get a new job as he obviously isnt a salesman.....my efforts here have built me a fantastic house almost on the beach, new car every 3 years and 3 wonderful kids....if you want to bum around on the beach and visit the whore bars everyday...yeah...

Hello there !

Myself and my girlfriend are looking to move to Samui at the end of the year, we currently saving up so we can rent a place and live there no worries for at least 6 months, but we would love to stay longer,

We are both 29 years old and from Wales, UK and have been coming to Samui for about 7 years and just love the place...

Is it realistic for us to find jobs in Samui ??

Is there any demand for foreigners ??

I only found this website yesterday and hopefully will be my bible when planning our stay so any help would be much appriciated..

Cheers

whats your syle ???

A time-share salesman? God, I'd rather stick my dick in a fan.

Read and re-read the comments by ibngazelle. Very much worth thinking about. I agree with all of them.

Samui is what you make of it. If you have some qualifications for hotel or resort work, you may be able to find something, but I think it's like finding work in any new place -- you need to make connections even before you come and be ready to hit the pavement day after day.

If I were looking for work along those lines, I'd be hitting up the places that are under construction, of which there are many. Remember, there will be positions that could easily be filled by competent and educated English-speaking Thais, but the reality is that holidaymakers often want to deal with a non-local in certain public relations or management issues. It may seem racist, but it's the fact.

Oh, and I hear pastry chefs make zillions of baht a month..... :)

Absolute rubbish. I have always worked legally, WP in every position I have had. Who says nobody wants to buy timeshare....if you are willing to work hard the money is there....if you call 170,000 baht a month poor money then think again...if a sales rep cant live on his commission, he should get a new job as he obviously isnt a salesman.....my efforts here have built me a fantastic house almost on the beach, new car every 3 years and 3 wonderful kids....if you want to bum around on the beach and visit the whore bars everyday...yeah...

ah...a timeshare salesman, I rest my case :D ...by the way, none of them actually make that money and even if they did, come on, would you really be able to look you mum in the eyes and tell her that you were a timeshare salesman? :D ...speaking of rubbish!

ah...a timeshare salesman, I rest my case :D ...by the way, none of them actually make that money and even if they did, come on, would you really be able to look you mum in the eyes and tell her that you were a timeshare salesman? :D ...speaking of rubbish!

Obviously never worked in the business, so dont comment on areas you have no expeience in...so what do timeshare guys earn???...the bad ones probably 20k-30k baht a month....a good OPC can easily earn 80,000 baht a month on Samui and a good rep between 150k-200k....thats a fact and a proven one!!!.....people have a perception of something, like you have of timeshare, and a lot of the time that perception is incorrect....most posters have said it is almost impossible to get legal paid work on Samui...but how many have actually tried, so again it is just their perception.....if the OP puts in the effort, he will find work in Samui..OK, may not be exactly what he is looking for but it will be something to keep him in Thailand...my own experience the last 6 years is that I have always easily found legal work, be it Phuket, Bkk or Samui..the money I have made has easily afforded me a great lifestyle with savings to boot....so if you are prepared to put yourself out turn your hand to anything it is possible :D

Obviously never worked in the business, so dont comment on areas you have no expeience in...so what do timeshare guys earn???...the bad ones probably 20k-30k baht a month....a good OPC can easily earn 80,000 baht a month on Samui and a good rep between 150k-200k....thats a fact and a proven one!!!.....people have a perception of something, like you have of timeshare, and a lot of the time that perception is incorrect....most posters have said it is almost impossible to get legal paid work on Samui...but how many have actually tried, so again it is just their perception.....if the OP puts in the effort, he will find work in Samui..OK, may not be exactly what he is looking for but it will be something to keep him in Thailand...my own experience the last 6 years is that I have always easily found legal work, be it Phuket, Bkk or Samui..the money I have made has easily afforded me a great lifestyle with savings to boot....so if you are prepared to put yourself out turn your hand to anything it is possible :D

no, I would never sell nothing for money... ie timeshare :D and spoken like a true timeshare salesman :) ...ie total bullshit, I KNOW THE FACTS :D

I truly hope that a silver lining of this economic crisis will be you and your ilk disappear....I hope :D

Well....I still have my payslips if you would like to see them.....If you know the facts you must have worked in the industry... with your animosity I assume you were hopeless and a complete dodo at the job and didnt earn anything, that is your failure...some of us can be sucessfull...everything I have purchased in Thailand is with money earned here...so a house, cars, motorbikes, family etc....how can you explain that away....probably because of the negativety and failure that comes accross from you is the reason you are a failure and unable to find work in Samui.....be positive...maybe you will get somewhere in life...if the OP comes to Samui with a positive can do attitude they will find work...it wont be easy but it is there.

Hello there !

Myself and my girlfriend are looking to move to Samui at the end of the year, we currently saving up so we can rent a place and live there no worries for at least 6 months, but we would love to stay longer,

We are both 29 years old and from Wales, UK and have been coming to Samui for about 7 years and just love the place...

Is it realistic for us to find jobs in Samui ??

Is there any demand for foreigners ??

I only found this website yesterday and hopefully will be my bible when planning our stay so any help would be much appriciated..

Cheers

I would offer a couple pieces of advice to you having been down that road myself. First up, I would definitely consider casting my net a bit wider than Samui itself. I decided I wanted to live there having visited loads and so went to settle there and it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I was bored out of my head after a month or two and couldn't wait for trips to KL/Singapore for visas or even Bangkok for a break. If you were to cut out drinking, playing pool and monotonous bar chat then there really is very little on offer. I even stopped going to the beach after a while, as I think a lot of residents do. And belive me, there's only so many times you can ride round the island and truly appreciate it. Cracks begin to form fairly quickly.

With regards to work, it was pretty grim finding anything. You'll certainly be dead lucky if you find anything either slightly well-paid or stable. In fact the only way to go is to have your own little enterprise as you can't rely on anything or anyone. This is not down to individual people, well not all the time at least, but also pure economics. Hotels open and close, schools come and go (ie Open Gates) etc. To go there in the hope of finding something is exactly what I did, although I even had a house so wasn't having to rent. I eventually managed to leave with dwindling savings and a seriously ravaged liver. In all honesty, take my advice and don't bother.

Nice post...

Unfortunately, most of us -and I include myself- mainly learn by our past mistake(s);

but anyway we understood, at least I hope so!

I totaly agree mate in that allthough i understand the guys point that i may be bored sh*tless after a month or two, i plan on finding that out for myself,

Im going for a six month holiday and finding work will only be important if i absolutly love it thre and dont want to come back.

Dont plan on going anywhere near the bars to be honest... bit of a fitness freak so gym/bike rides every day is more my cup of tea !

Didnt realise i would create such a debate though !

all input welcomed so thanks

Obviously never worked in the business, so dont comment on areas you have no expeience in...so what do timeshare guys earn???...the bad ones probably 20k-30k baht a month....a good OPC can easily earn 80,000 baht a month on Samui and a good rep between 150k-200k....thats a fact and a proven one!!!.....people have a perception of something, like you have of timeshare, and a lot of the time that perception is incorrect....most posters have said it is almost impossible to get legal paid work on Samui...but how many have actually tried, so again it is just their perception.....if the OP puts in the effort, he will find work in Samui..OK, may not be exactly what he is looking for but it will be something to keep him in Thailand...my own experience the last 6 years is that I have always easily found legal work, be it Phuket, Bkk or Samui..the money I have made has easily afforded me a great lifestyle with savings to boot....so if you are prepared to put yourself out turn your hand to anything it is possible :)

That's not bad money, especially considering that it's tax free.

You must be a good salesman though. The timeshare salesmen that accost me when I'm walking down the street in Chaweng are usually less so. There's just something a little weird about a bloke a moped coming up on you, greeting you in English as if he knows you, and then insisting that you scratch his card to win a prize. Sure... I'll give up a day of vacation to go pick up my prize and listen to their sales pitch, why wouldn't I?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Obviously never worked in the business, so dont comment on areas you have no expeience in...so what do timeshare guys earn???...the bad ones probably 20k-30k baht a month....a good OPC can easily earn 80,000 baht a month on Samui and a good rep between 150k-200k....thats a fact and a proven one!!!.....people have a perception of something, like you have of timeshare, and a lot of the time that perception is incorrect....most posters have said it is almost impossible to get legal paid work on Samui...but how many have actually tried, so again it is just their perception.....if the OP puts in the effort, he will find work in Samui..OK, may not be exactly what he is looking for but it will be something to keep him in Thailand...my own experience the last 6 years is that I have always easily found legal work, be it Phuket, Bkk or Samui..the money I have made has easily afforded me a great lifestyle with savings to boot....so if you are prepared to put yourself out turn your hand to anything it is possible :)

You must be a good salesman though. The timeshare salesmen that accost me when I'm walking down the street in Chaweng are usually less so. There's just something a little weird about a bloke a moped coming up on you, greeting you in English as if he knows you, and then insisting that you scratch his card to win a prize. Sure... I'll give up a day of vacation to go pick up my prize and listen to their sales pitch, why wouldn't I?

It isnt tax free, with a WP tax and social security are both deductable from your salary....although this does allow you government health care

The concept of flogging time shares is not in and of itself repulsive to me; it is the way in which it is done.

The last exchange I had with one of these gentlemen was in Lamai, near the "Walking Street." Some guy was handing out something on the street in the afternoon and had either prior knowledge or followed a couple of vans full of tourists who were from somewhere with Russian-sounding accents. There were three men around this guy and I wandered up since I had never seen anyone trying to promote anything on the street in Lamai, much less a foreigner. I hung back a little but when the guy saw me standing within earshot, he turned to me and in a stern voice said something to the effect that I should move along. I said I didn't want to; I wanted to see what was going on (at that point I still didn't know what he was doing). He got belligerent, while the "marks" were starting to become bewildered. I said that I lived here and anyway, I could stand anywhere on the street I liked. He said he lived here too. I said, So go on (with whatever you are doing). He clearly thought that I knew exactly what he was doing and was about to queer his pitch.

He was a wiry-looking guy and was starting to glaze over in the eyes and looked like he might come unhinged and then another foreigner, his partner, started to walk over. They steered the "marks" away from me, and I lost interest and went away.

This was also some scratch and "win" thing, which of course is disingenuous. If you have something to offer that you think is interesting, make it interesting and offer it; don't use subterfuge.

I also dislike the ones in Bangkok who are young women dressed in polo shirts that say something like "Thai Tourism" on the front and ask you to fill out a survey. I got sucked into this once because I thought I was doing something for tourism. You end up, if you agree, in a hotel somewhere and are put though the pressure mill with foreigners now, mild at first and then psychological later.

All the people involved were very slimy in manner and appearance. I have had other run-ins with these people (in Chaweng too) and they all repulse me for the fact that they are so willing to compromise their own self decency and use some from of indirect "capture" of potential customers.

Look, if time shares were so dam_n good, the people trying to get you to sign up and fork out for them would just work up a pitch that began right off with what they have to offer and why it's so unbelievably amazing. But that isn't the way it happens. You get offered a free bag to listen to a pitch; you "win" some prize in a bogus scratch and "always win" card...

And as for the OP, I hardly think this is what he had in mind.

It isnt tax free, with a WP tax and social security are both deductable from your salary....although this does allow you government health care

I have always wondered how you get around the four Thais per falang quota for the WP?

Or is there another four salesmen per falang out there on the streets with scratch cards in Thai? :D

And why don't I get to scratch one of the cards, as soon as say that I live in Thailand they just ride away. :)

I would offer a couple pieces of advice to you having been down that road myself. First up, I would definitely consider casting my net a bit wider than Samui itself. I decided I wanted to live there having visited loads and so went to settle there and it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I was bored out of my head after a month or two and couldn't wait for trips to KL/Singapore for visas or even Bangkok for a break. If you were to cut out drinking, playing pool and monotonous bar chat then there really is very little on offer. I even stopped going to the beach after a while, as I think a lot of residents do. And belive me, there's only so many times you can ride round the island and truly appreciate it. Cracks begin to form fairly quickly.

With regards to work, it was pretty grim finding anything. You'll certainly be dead lucky if you find anything either slightly well-paid or stable. In fact the only way to go is to have your own little enterprise as you can't rely on anything or anyone. This is not down to individual people, well not all the time at least, but also pure economics. Hotels open and close, schools come and go (ie Open Gates) etc. To go there in the hope of finding something is exactly what I did, although I even had a house so wasn't having to rent. I eventually managed to leave with dwindling savings and a seriously ravaged liver. In all honesty, take my advice and don't bother.

I totally agree with this post...its very applicable to somebody in your position (coming here with hope as your best weapon)

I got tired of the hustle back in England 5 years ago, i have a Thai wife and a kid, so we actually came here with a business plan, which involved quite a substantial investment to get up and running...problem is, particularly with Samui, there are too many people trying for a piece of the cake that is tourism, and that cake becomes smaller each year...I have seen so many people like me come and go, with their dreams shattered, and their fortunes severely impacted...the ratio of sucess stories to failures is heavily weighted in favour of the failures..Yes i am still here, but in hindsight, it was the biggest mistake i made in my life..This place could be a mecca for tourists, could even become an upmarket millionaires playground, but the stupidity and greed of the local decision makers will never allow it..they are all too busy wetting their beaks at the expense of farang tourists...Overpriced airfares (compared to the rest of Thailand) rip off taxis (overcharging)bad infastructure (collapsing roads) untidy and unstructured construction, high road accident /death ratio, bad schooling, and lets not get started on the SARS, bird flu, red shirt, yellow shirt, tsunami, swine flu, tourist murder, general bad news topics that all impact on the plummeting reputation of the Island....In short, you will definately find it hard to get a job here, and if you do, it will almost certainly be poorly paid, and when you offset that against the cost of maintaining a reasonable life style here, youre gonna end up massively out of pocket...The place is fine for a holiday and a visit..but to stay longterm.. i would say dont do it...try Australia, i spent a year there, and was it not for my personal circumstances at the time, i would have made my life there...its got the lot

Good luck, i guess you wont change your mind now its set on coming, but once youve scratched beneath the surface of Samui, you will see it for what it really is....nothing special.

PS You could always try for a job with those really annoying timeshare sellers that prowl around on their motorbikes picking on anybody without a suntan and giving them one of their amazing scratchcards which always makes them win a fantastic prize (just sign here sir and we will rinse your bank account)

Have to agree with you 110% IMHO if a person has a clear view of what they want they will get it. Sometimes all these well meaning post about needing this and that are nothing but bricks mouning up to a point where you can no loger see what you want. I have to shake my head at how some posters are so hostile towards sales yett have no problem owning a bar that sells a bar that sells a bit more than booze. Bottom line OP your young, healthy, smart, have a little cash reserve, you are in a position to live a dream, go for it.

The concept of flogging time shares is not in and of itself repulsive to me; it is the way in which it is done.

The last exchange I had with one of these gentlemen was in Lamai, near the "Walking Street." Some guy was handing out something on the street in the afternoon and had either prior knowledge or followed a couple of vans full of tourists who were from somewhere with Russian-sounding accents. There were three men around this guy and I wandered up since I had never seen anyone trying to promote anything on the street in Lamai, much less a foreigner. I hung back a little but when the guy saw me standing within earshot, he turned to me and in a stern voice said something to the effect that I should move along. I said I didn't want to; I wanted to see what was going on (at that point I still didn't know what he was doing). He got belligerent, while the "marks" were starting to become bewildered. I said that I lived here and anyway, I could stand anywhere on the street I liked. He said he lived here too. I said, So go on (with whatever you are doing). He clearly thought that I knew exactly what he was doing and was about to queer his pitch.

He was a wiry-looking guy and was starting to glaze over in the eyes and looked like he might come unhinged and then another foreigner, his partner, started to walk over. They steered the "marks" away from me, and I lost interest and went away.

This was also some scratch and "win" thing, which of course is disingenuous. If you have something to offer that you think is interesting, make it interesting and offer it; don't use subterfuge.

I also dislike the ones in Bangkok who are young women dressed in polo shirts that say something like "Thai Tourism" on the front and ask you to fill out a survey. I got sucked into this once because I thought I was doing something for tourism. You end up, if you agree, in a hotel somewhere and are put though the pressure mill with foreigners now, mild at first and then psychological later.

All the people involved were very slimy in manner and appearance. I have had other run-ins with these people (in Chaweng too) and they all repulse me for the fact that they are so willing to compromise their own self decency and use some from of indirect "capture" of potential customers.

Look, if time shares were so dam_n good, the people trying to get you to sign up and fork out for them would just work up a pitch that began right off with what they have to offer and why it's so unbelievably amazing. But that isn't the way it happens. You get offered a free bag to listen to a pitch; you "win" some prize in a bogus scratch and "always win" card...

well put Mark :) ...and as for what the timeshare lackey says...I guess now I will have to give up any dreams of making it in that esteemable profession...being the total loser that I am...guess I will never make it here in Thailand or have all those wonderful things.... :D .... :D

Have to agree with you 110% IMHO if a person has a clear view of what they want they will get it. Sometimes all these well meaning post about needing this and that are nothing but bricks mouning up to a point where you can no loger see what you want. I have to shake my head at how some posters are so hostile towards sales yett have no problem owning a bar that sells a bar that sells a bit more than booze. Bottom line OP your young, healthy, smart, have a little cash reserve, you are in a position to live a dream, go for it.

If I worked in Samui as a time share salesman and recruited other salesman into the time share selling business, would I get a percentage of the future commissions of those recruits?

Edited by OriginalPoster

If worked in Samui as a time share salesman and recruited other salesman into the time share selling business, would I get a percentage of the future commissions of those recruits?

SURE!! Its called a pyramid scheme!!! :D ...another variation or timeshare selling! :)

There are not many jobs that foreigners are allowed to do. Even if you found one you would need a Work Permit, and they are not easy to qualify for. Here is a list of jobs foreigners cannot do. http:// www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

What Visas do you intend on getting to stay here?

dam_n... It has always been my dream to raise silkworms on Koh Samui by day while dynamiting rocks at night.

And now, those dreams have been shattered.

Don't you just hate official rules?

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Handbook, under the Restricted Jobs List is:

Legal or litigation service

Unless this is out of date, aren't a lot of people breaking this law?

Also:

List 1

Business that aliens are not permitted to do for special reasons:

(3) Raising animals (Aren't some foreigners raising pigs here?)

(5) Fishing for aquatic animals in Thai waters and Thailand’s exclusive economic zones (Hide that fishing pole!)

(9) Dealing in land. (Again, lots of people ought to be breaking this law.)

I have always wondered how you get around the four Thais per falang quota for the WP?

A lot of Thais work on the admin,hospitality side for the same company also if a foreigner is legally married to a Thai the 4/1 quota is not needed

Or is there another four salesmen per falang out there on the streets with scratch cards in Thai? :D

See above

And why don't I get to scratch one of the cards, as soon as say that I live in Thailand they just ride away. :)

Becuase if you live here, you either own or already rent somewhere.

well put Mark :) ...and as for what the timeshare lackey says...I guess now I will have to give up any dreams of making it in that esteemable profession...being the total loser that I am...guess I will never make it here in Thailand or have all those wonderful things.... :D .... :D

Where do you work in Thailand or do you survive on funds from your country of origin

Dear PatinBKk.

Why should all the tourist get the best deals.

I also also want to have a timeshare, I been told that you guarantee a 20% increase every year.

I would love to have a 2 million timeshare that would make make me over 5 Million baht over 5 years.

Can you PM me, please.

Dear PatinBKk.

I also also want to have a timeshare, I been told that you guarantee a 20% increase every year.

I would love to have a 2 million timeshare that would make make me over 5 Million baht over 5 years.

Can you PM me, please.

Although your comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek I think you are getting timeshare confused with something else. :)

Dear PatinBKk.

Can you PM me, please.

Maybe you should invest 2 million Baht in maths lessons, am sure it would be better spent with your current method of calculus :)

Although your comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek I think you are getting timeshare confused with something else. :)

Could you explain how the time share deals do work (for the consumer, that is)? It's a straight question, no hidden agenda. I've never gotten further through the sales pitch than the point where the guy on the moped hands me a scratch & sniff card and I've never been very clear about exactly what they were selling. I've been curious about what's in it for both sides though. The salesmen themselves have never used the word "time share" with me, in fact on a couple of occasions when one of them greeted me I answered him by asking if he was selling time shares and he said no, that it was something different than that. By the name "time share" I suppose that you're selling vacation properties to which the purchaser will have the right to live in for x weeks per year, with expenses for maintenance somehow covered by either the purchase price or by an annual fee. Does that sound about right?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Although your comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek I think you are getting timeshare confused with something else. :D

Could you explain how the time share deals do work (for the consumer, that is)? It's a straight question, no hidden agenda. I've never gotten further through the sales pitch than the point where the guy on the moped hands me a scratch & sniff card and I've never been very clear about exactly what they were selling. I've been curious about what's in it for both sides though. The salesmen themselves have never used the word "time share" with me, in fact on a couple of occasions when one of them greeted me I answered him by asking if he was selling time shares and he said no, that it was something different than that. By the name "time share" I suppose that you're selling vacation properties to which the purchaser will have the right to live in for x weeks per year, with expenses for maintenance somehow covered by either the purchase price or by an annual fee. Does that sound about right?

Would love to help but it wouldnt be professional to discuss specifics.....This thread is about any work on Samui and it seems to have been sidetracked by myselfe included....am sure if you do a quick Google search you will find the answer to your question. :)

Dear PatinBKk.

Can you PM me, please.

Maybe you should invest 2 million Baht in maths lessons, am sure it would be better spent with your current method of calculus :)

2 million + 20% increase per year

2 * 1,2 = 2,4

2,4 * 1,2 = 2,88

2,88 * 1,2 = 3,456

3,456 * 1,2 = 4,1472

4,1472 * 1,2 = 4,97664

How do you calculate?