If A Thai Election Was Held Today And You Could Vote!

Jingthing

Who would you choose today?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's a really sad choice you're offering, and even sadder that Thai people by and large face the same limited choice of ultimately powerless and irrelevant political parties.

But I'd probably pick the red side of things, if only as a protest vote.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if they both put aside their differences they would make a good pm-deputy pm team.

Thaksin obviously PM with Abhisit the FM. And the best from the banned 110 reinstated, a mandate from the people, this would be the dream team.

and hopefully working together to dismantle the old power structures that are holding the country back.

Edited by mc2

but i voted for his porxy party as thats what the majority wanted

That simply isn't true. His party only got roughly 35% of the vote last election, it is NOT what the majority want. The majority, roughly 60%, voted for anti Thaksin parties, which now make up the current government.

Thaksists keep saying how they have a majority support when it simply is no where near the truth, not in the last elections, and especially not now.

With this logic roughly 75% voted against the Democrats, so why do we have Abhisit as PM now?

"Especially not now" - Could we have an election soon, just to make sure?

Edited by pete_r

With this logic roughly 75% voted against the Democrats, so why do we have Abhisit as PM now?
Because there is a parliamentary system and a coalition put Abhisit into power. NORMAL for such systems. It is natural for Abhisit to try to delay elections as he has only just started and wants to steer Thailand through a very rough patch, and of course he wants to emerge again as PM. I bet Abhisit will be PM for longer than many of you think, and that is after the next election also. His comeback against the Black Songkran Thaksin-terrorists has solidified his position.

Thailand is so fragile right now, a new election right now, no matter the outcome, would not solve anything.

Edited by Jingthing

It is natural for Abhisit to try to delay elections

a new election right now, no matter the outcome, would not solve anything.

??? :D:D:)

Voting him out may be impossible as they do not allow votes in a one party dictatorship.

Vote You bloody cowards!!!!! What shirt would you wear?!?!?! Comeon you Bangkok elitists, get off your farang high-horse and vote. Comeon, you backwood bo-hicks, get off your buffalo and vote. All those supporting KFC, drop your chicken and vote!

Whoa now, I will engage in Gorilla warfare that makes the red shirts look like Ghandi if KFC is in danger! LoL

I secretly support KFC, I got hooked on those pita chicken sandwhich thingies...well, I guess it is not a secret if I just said it...but I still voted down. Up with crispy fried chicken!!!!

Sounds eerily similar to the Ferdinand Marcos rhetoric (late years). If you can't win an election, obfuscate.

Well done Abhisit. Bet you're proud of that.

If anyone in this drama is just like Marcos/Mussolini/Peron it is Thaksin, not Abhisit.

Remember what Thaksin "press conferences" were like? He was a dictator.

Edited by Jingthing

Times they have changed. I would bet in real life Thaksin would LOSE today.

I would guarantee the future of all KFC franchises in the Kingdom that Thaskin would win again. Outside Bagkok, he has all the support.

That is just nostalgia. I bet you get all goose pimply about Reagan too. Now the world knows the current Thaksin led a failed violent revolution attempt and is a wanted fugitive. Time to move on and away from that empty dream.

Let me guess, you drank the liberal kool-aide and now thing Regan was a tyrant and didn't bring back America's pride and power? I think you need to stop watching the news and actually learn it Really Really.

Another topic filled with people’s lack of knowledge on the Thai governmental and political system that allows them to dream that a populist movement, motivated by the greed of its leaders (and I'm not talking about Thaksin), is the key to Thailand going forward.

TH

That is just nostalgia. I bet you get all goose pimply about Reagan too. Now the world knows the current Thaksin led a failed violent revolution attempt and is a wanted fugitive. Time to move on and away from that empty dream.

Let me guess, you drank the liberal kool-aide and now thing Regan was a tyrant and didn't bring back America's pride and power? I think you need to stop watching the news and actually learn it Really Really.

What a simple minded reactionary comment.

McCain and the republican US ticket ran on Reagan nostalgia and they get raped. Why? Because this is now 2009, NOT 1980. Reagan had appeal for a certain time and place in the US. As did Thaksin for a certain time and place in Thailand. Those times are OVER. They are NEVER coming back.

Edited by Jingthing

I would guarantee the future of all KFC franchises in the Kingdom that Thaskin would win again. Outside Bagkok, he has all the support.

You don't know much do you? The democrats always win solid in the South. The red Thaskin puppets lost a lot of support from everyday people during their last treasonous stunts. I don't believe even Thailand would elect an insurgent violent criminal like Thaksin ... again.

You don't know much do you? The democrats always win solid in the South. The red Thaskin puppets lost a lot of support from everyday people during their last treasonous stunts. I don't believe even Thailand would elect an insurgent violent criminal like Thaksin ... again.

thaksin is a traitor, he should be executed for his crimes

hopefully someone will put this tired old dog down before he steps foot in Thailand again and save everyone a lot of grief

but i voted for his porxy party as thats what the majority wanted

That simply isn't true. His party only got roughly 35% of the vote last election, it is NOT what the majority want. The majority, roughly 60%, voted for anti Thaksin parties, which now make up the current government.

Thaksists keep saying how they have a majority support when it simply is no where near the truth, not in the last elections, and especially not now.

was there a free and fair election campaign possible for the candidates of the PPP or got they suppressed and hassled by the Junta?

and did the other parties campaign as anti.thaksin parties?

did the junta run a hugh propaganda campaign? is the abhisit government running a so callled 'media war'?

is the abhisit government running a so callled 'media war'?

As his LIFE was directly threatened TWO TIMES by Thaksinista red shirted thugs, I think he is well justified to FIGHT BACK. You think he should surrender to the murderous red mob? This is why he is gaining in respect in Thailand and the world. He may be a pretty boy but he has bigger ones than you thought. I say Bravo Abhisit for fighting the forces of anarchy.

Edited by Jingthing

Granted they didnt win an overall majority but they were got the highest share of the votes, and they did initially form a govt, this lot got in by making up the rules as they went along.

Do you seriously believe this lot in power believe in democracy? as IMO they are nothing other then fascists backed by the old establishment. (airports seiges and military coupes spring to mind to show how much they believe in democracy)

PS I dont go in for Thai politics, other then skim stories, ive the British govt. to despise.

What a lie. The truth is this lot got in under the exact same rules that put the previous two Thaksin's puppets in charge. The rules haven't changed at all.

was there a free and fair election campaign possible for the candidates of the PPP

Apparently there was not. Evidence? The PPP got dissolved for electroal fraud (Remember Yuth Tooyen=Yuth the fridge.)? :)

or got they suppressed and hassled by the Junta?

Apparanetly not either. Because had they been suppressed and hassled by the Junta, you really believe that this group of compulsive liars who have a long and pathetic history of making up sh*t (re: the last censure debate and the aftermath of Songkran riot), would have still kept their mouths shut until now? Come on.

Edited by ThNiner

Thanks for the poll Jingthing.

I had to vote Puea Thai - I would never want to see Thaksin back, the country needs to move forward. But I would like to see movement towards democratic representation for the people. I do always shake my head a little when I see the name Democratic Party - I guess it just sounds political.

I'm surprised how well Thaksin's Puea Thai party is doing. Certainly not a landslide so far. And I would think most members living here live in or around Bkk and Pataya not traditional Thaksin turf.

Living in Chiang Mai I tend to meet more red people and I have to say it's getting pretty incredible to listen to their opinions. I keep hearing things that were pretty much unspeakable not so long ago.

At this point I just hope that it will indeed be elections that settle this. Believe me, an election even with some spotty parts is far preferable to some of the alternatives.

had to vote Puea Thai - I would never want to see Thaksin back, the country needs to move forward. But I would like to see movement towards democratic representation for the people.

That is not logical. If a Thaksin proxy party gains power again, they will pardon him, release his money, listen to his marching orders, and you will get him back. A vote for a Thaksin puppet is a vote for Thaksin back.

So perhaps you think the Thais are so helpless and hopeless that they can't manage to create a non-violent, pro-democracy reform movement that is divorced from a criminally corrupt traitor. OK, then. I give the Thais a little more credit.

I'm surprised how well Thaksin's Puea Thai party is doing. Certainly not a landslide so far. And I would think most members living here live in or around Bkk and Pataya not traditional Thaksin turf.

It is definitive. It is also meaningless as this is an expat forum, most of the votes are of people who can't vote in Thailand.

Living in Chiang Mai I tend to meet more red people and I have to say it's getting pretty incredible to listen to their opinions. I keep hearing things that were pretty much unspeakable not so long ago.

Some examples please?

Edited by Jingthing

was there a free and fair election campaign possible for the candidates of the PPP

Apparently there was not. Evidence? The PPP got dissolved for electroal fraud (Remember Yuth Tooyen=Yuth the fridge.)? :)

or got they suppressed and hassled by the Junta?

Apparanetly not either. Because had they been suppressed and hassled by the Junta, you really believe that this group of compulsive liars who have a long and pathetic history of making up sh*t (re: the last censure debate and the aftermath of Songkran riot), would have still kept their mouths shut until now? Come on.

"...

While the junta says the polls will restore democracy, observers ask how free and fair the elections can be when about one-third of Thailand, mainly Thaksin's strongholds such as Buriram, is still under martial law.

"The coup government wants to block PPP from winning," Prakit says, adding authorities have yet to allow him to display campaign billboards even though those of opposition candidates are seen across this rural province.

"I am still waiting for permission on the billboards. What can I do?" shrugs the softly spoken man.

a news article, back from these" days. a short inside view one one PPP candidate campaign and a Dem's candidate as well (the 2nd is also a PAD leader)

Thailand: Military Interference Undermines Upcoming Elections
:

A Weak Election Commission Endorses Unfair Election Tactics.

Human Right Watch article on various accounts, how the Junta interfere the election process and harras PPP member, candidates. and so on...

i vote thaksin for the entertainment factor.

Abhisit has entertaining qualities as well.

abhisit3ke8.jpg

is that the famous 500 baht scene the Internet was talking all over a couple of weeks ago?

anyway the 500 baht cash hand out are for the senior citizen only.

"The government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is to provide 500 baht per month

to citizens over 60 for the next six months - or at least to roughly three million elderly

who managed or remembered to register for the programme before mid-March. This is

generous and respectful, but this sudden infusion of 1.9 billion baht into the economy is

more about economic stimulus than aid to the aged. And let us be honest: 500 baht

a month does not seriously address the truly needy." Bangkok Post