Greetings all,

I have been living in Thailand for a number of years now, mainly in Chiangmai. I 'exist' on a non-immigrant 'O' visa leaving the country every 90 days for a renewal. Have spent most of my time in Chiangmai so the border run to Mae Sai was straightforward enough - if boringly painful.

I now live in Isaan, in a small village about 1 hour or so from Roi Et. I a hoping to renew my 90 day stays by crossing into Laos through Mukdahan. Has anyone else made this crossing and if so can they give me any advice. Can I obtain a Loas entry visa in Mukdahan for example ?

My Thai wife/partner will be travelling with me. We intend to cross at Mukdahan then travel to Vientienne and re-enter at Nong Kai.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve M

Visas on entry are available at the Laos side of the bridge. It will be 1500 baht or $35 US. If your wife has a passport her entry will be free.

You can get on a bus from Mugdahan that will take you all the way to the bus station in Savannakhet. Or you can get the same bus at the bridge (ticket office is on the left just before immigration).

I have seen buses going to Vientiane at the bus station in Savannakhet.

• 2 weeks later...