Sachs X-road 250

gobs

Hi friends,

First I hope I managed correctly the attachement files: sorry if the picture coming wrong...

I'm not very used to this!

So googling here and there I find this picture of the Sachs X-road 250 on an indonesian forum.

But no specs at all...

Is it this bike coming a next time in LOS? Manufactured where (I understand made in China...)? Distributed through wich dealers? What about the specs?

In another thread Richard BKK said "maybe under the 100 KB". Is it for true?..

It looks sweet with its red frame, underseat exhaust, rear shock and discs brakes...

Your thoughts and knowledges, guys?

Cheers,

Gobs

Yes, as I belief the Sachs X-Road 250 is set to come available within a few months. This motorcycle is indeed manufactured in China, so is my BMW G 650 X-moto also, and I do not belief that there is anything wrong with the quality.

Sachs, like most motorcycle manufacturers try to keep specifications secret to the last moment, and as the X-Road 250 is not introduced yet... specs are not available. The Thai distributor has one 250cc model, for test reasons..., doing the official emission tests for a new motorcycle model can take some time.

The exact price of the Sachs is a bit unsure, as I understand it will be more expensive then a Tiger Boxer 250 RS but not as expensive as a Kawasaki D-Tracker 250. With that knowledge I suggested something as 100,000 Baht, maybe I know next week more...

:D

Thanks Anglud!.. Sure, better with a pic...

What happens with my attachment? Yesterday night it was OK on this thread... And I was sooooooooo proud to have done it right!..

I have to re-do my homework!

:)

Oh, and what about the engine: single or twin? 2 valves or 4 valves?

As in Europe "we" can already get the 125cc (but not the 250)... So maybe a twin (2 x 125): it would be great!

Thanks for ther infos Richard.

Cheers,

Gobs

I agree Richard, the previous Anglud's pic is the 125... but very similar to the 250!

Now, THE 250 X-road (bigger engine and no white plastic parts besides):

post-41729-1241717050_thumb.jpg

Is it?

Don't know, but I feel like two tubes going off the cylinder, before joining together in front of it (through a "fat welded piece of tube", if I can say). 4 valves as a Honda XR 250 and its two tubes?..

PS: this time I hope the attachment goes well... :)

Simple basic thumper.. IMO will need to be very competitively priced to appeal more than the better build quality and design d-tracker etc.. Think 80 or so to be able to make a mark, given the choice of a recent age second hand d-tracker or a new one of these at 100 I know where my money would go.

But the more additions the better..

Sachs as a company is not some Chinese knock-off company, Do not forget that the same technology in suspension and clutch brakes, ignition and so much more can be found in several well-established names, like BMW, Husqvarna (motocross champion in several classes with Sachs suspension). BMW which also uses Sachs suspension and even Sachs builds frames for BMW in China

Sure the Sachs which manufactures the automotive components has little to do with the current Sachs motorcycles, but before they split into two separate companies a huge amount of cross-patent-licenses where signed. And even today the two Sachs's are not shy to uses another's production capability. This is of course easy, why license somebody else in China if somebody already has a license to produce.

Still Sachs Motorcycles production is not completely done in China, for example in Europe Sachs sells around 40,000 Madass motorcycles, and from this 40,000 about 10,000 are produced in Nuremberg, Germany.

Sachs Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik GmbH, is still a German company, with also offices in China and main production is located in China. But development is done in Nuremberg, and indications show that Sachs is shifting to more local production in several countries. So is it highly likely that some serious amount of Sachs motorcycles will be produced in Thailand.

Other then a Sachs X-Road 250 we can expect, in the future, more models.....

post-12170-1241751582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

This is complete and utter bullshit. Why can a small company like Sachs get a bike into Thailand (pending emissions tests), Kawasaki offer both the Ninja 250 and D-Tracker, Tiger the Boxer, but Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda (especially Honda!) not pull their collective heads out of their asses and start offering something?

None the less that looks like a pretty cool bike; love how it echos the Ducati Monster or the Honda VTR. Wonder how it cruises at 100+.......

Sorry Dave, but Yamaha already imports some bikes models here in LOS through official dealers in main cities. And as imports, due to taxes, they cost a lot... For example, right now, the FZ6F (Fazer 600) is sold near 500 KB...

Same-same for BMW and Triumph (and maybe Ducati but not sure)...

Some of the very popular Kawy bikes we see here and there in LOS are not imports. So their tags are more competitive (the ER6 is about 230 KB)...

About Sachs, they sold already the 125 X-road in Europe, where they succeeded the Euro3 tests. So I guess the 250 X-road would succeed the tests here...

They are made in China, thus the fair prices though they are imported.

And yes, it would be good Honda and Suzuki try to put some of their bikes on the market... But I guess they have their plan not to do it yet. Maybe small market, heavy import taxes and the rest...

Richard can correct this if I'm wrong.

What about the Sachs technology? The engine looks like a bit "out of date"...

Cheers

People are quick in saying that a engine is out-of-date when they see it is air-cooled. For belief that you only need to look what the to Japanese bike builders are selling right now.

The engine of the Sachs X-road 250, will probably be equipped with air- and oil-cooling, similar to what we see on the Tiger Boxer 250. We not have to expect wonders of power from the engine, but still for the overall weight of the X-Road 250 compared to lets say a Kawasaki D-Tracker the Sachs will be competitive.

For Yamaha, there are some rumors that Yamaha is thinking of introducing the Yamaha XT250 on the Thai market, this is by-the-way also a air-cooled engine.

Thailand will probably be the first with the Sachs X-Road 250, as Sachs was doing the emission tests in Thailand, as Thailand has a complete German build Euro III emission laboratory. Also the Thai distributor has emission and dyno test facilities, to do some of tests.

Keeping the hopes up for this bike; the missus is in the market for a light touring bike and is leaning towards the Phantom :) . Can't find english specs on the X-road, as seat heat will be a deciding factor. Can't get her on a D-Tracker, though suspension adjusted lower is a close fit - almost 4-5 inches lower than mine with it's 1.5/2 inch higher seat. Also just not impressed with quality of the Tigers and can't find a clean TW225/XT250 in good condition.

Is there an existing Sachs Dealer in Chiang Mai?

Edited by Fishenough

Sorry Dave, but Yamaha already imports some bikes models here in LOS through official dealers in main cities. And as imports, due to taxes, they cost a lot... For example, right now, the FZ6F (Fazer 600) is sold near 500 KB...

I understand about the import tax, but come on; unless the Sachs bikes are dirt cheap their import tax baht for baht is the same percentage. I.E. the reason they're probably not taxed as much is 'cuz they're so cheap from the begining.

Some of the very popular Kawy bikes we see here and there in LOS are not imports. So their tags are more competitive (the ER6 is about 230 KB)...

I'm not sure, but I think that the ER-6* is actually technically an import...

About Sachs, they sold already the 125 X-road in Europe, where they succeeded the Euro3 tests. So I guess the 250 X-road would succeed the tests here...

And yes, it would be good Honda and Suzuki try to put some of their bikes on the market... But I guess they have their plan not to do it yet. Maybe small market, heavy import taxes and the rest...

I don't really care what the bean counters think; if they wait much longer they're going to be in the position that Kawasaki and Suzuki is in with regards to the scooter market. Why they can't realise that is beyond me.

Cheers

People are quick in saying that a engine is out-of-date when they see it is air-cooled. For belief that you only need to look what the to Japanese bike builders are selling right now.

Always astounded me also; don't know why you could judge an engine on its cooling system....

The engine of the Sachs X-road 250, will probably be equipped with air- and oil-cooling, similar to what we see on the Tiger Boxer 250. We not have to expect wonders of power from the engine, but still for the overall weight of the X-Road 250 compared to lets say a Kawasaki D-Tracker the Sachs will be competitive.

For Yamaha, there are some rumors that Yamaha is thinking of introducing the Yamaha XT250 on the Thai market, this is by-the-way also a air-cooled engine.

Thailand will probably be the first with the Sachs X-Road 250, as Sachs was doing the emission tests in Thailand, as Thailand has a complete German build Euro III emission laboratory. Also the Thai distributor has emission and dyno test facilities, to do some of tests.

Keeping the hopes up for this bike; the missus is in the market for a light touring bike and is leaning towards the Phantom :) . Can't find english specs on the X-road, as seat heat will be a deciding factor. Can't get her on a D-Tracker, though suspension adjusted lower is a close fit - almost 4-5 inches lower than mine with it's 1.5/2 inch higher seat. Also just not impressed with quality of the Tigers and can't find a clean TW225/XT250 in good condition.

Phantom; lighweight; touring bike...all in one sentence? LOL! Assuming that the quality is up I'd think that this Sach is going to be a good deal; why don't you like the quality of Tigers?

Hi guys. The Sachs will be made here in Thailand by Tiger Motorcycles. the reason for the delay is that they are so busy with the release of the Retro and TT150. But as the Thais say 'coming soon'

Allan

Phantom; lighweight; touring bike...all in one sentence? LOL! Assuming that the quality is up I'd think that this Sach is going to be a good deal; why don't you like the quality of Tigers?

Read that we want a more comfortable, well made bike that travels safetly at highway speeds with better brakes, real tires, relatively good gravel road manageabilty, and better range for her. She likes the Phantom :D

I heard of the X-Road via a Translated Thai forum but wasn't aware of it's availablilty at all; assume now it will be available at the Tiger dealerships.

After being North American based, therefore only really knowing Japanese bikes find the Tigers overall build quality not what I'm used too. True it is a better build quality than the Platinum; but I agree for the price the Boxer is good I'd just go with the CBR at the price point.

Regards

Fishenough. the Tiger build quality has improved a LOT since they have been getting feedback from the people buying the bikes eg us fellow riders on thaivisa. Tigers regular buyers (Thai) do not tend to complain or give feedback to the factory. so they did not realise some of the minor problems.

Just in the 6 months that i have been interested in Tiger they have improved immensely.

I hope to get the girlfriends Retro 110 scooter in the next few weeks. will let you all know.Allan

Cheers

"bit out of date" is right,more like 35 year old out of date,,ref dave I think he wants to compare eggs with eggs, yamaha do not ( nor do honda ) offer any 250 cc bikes currently in thailand.the sachs is a chinese parts bin special,,the dealer and their staff cant answer the question on the 250 no more than i can, the year before last there was a 250 on show at bitec, i asked "when in thailand " answer was "soon " ,. :)

The Honda XR 250 was a single cylinder air/oil cooled machine, in production until 2006 I believe. Got a friend with around 10 of them plus dozens of other 250 machines. In his opinion it's a superb, virtually maintenance free machine. Sometimes, especially in LOS there's a lot to be said for having a relatively low tech bike.

jesus Eggs you REALLY are a 'the glass is half empty' sort of guy arn't you. ANY new bike is good by me. if they turn out bad then they will not sell. simple really.

Allan

You can read it like that if you want but until i see a chinese bike win a race or come out on top with a jap bike comparison yes ill see then as "an alternative "..it seems a lot are forced to buy these bikes on a budget,..fine, however i call a spade a spade and if some dont like it then so be it im afraid :) ,i was in the motorcycle/motor trade all my working life, what do i know,.ps, i didnt say they were bad,lets take a look when its 3 years old,..

It is easy to say Yamaha or Honda offers any 250 cc bikes currently in Thailand. This indeed true, but still for 2009 both Honda and Yamaha, even Kawasaki has 250cc class motorcycles on the road in countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and Europe.

As I said before the 2009 Yamaha XT250, available in almost everywhere on this planet is a air-cooled SOHC 2-valve engine, then the latest version of the Honda CRF230 is, yep you guess right, a 230cc air-cooled SOHC; two-valve engine. The a 2009 Kawasaki 250 TR, this calls on memories from my first Yamaha XT500, anyway it is a 250cc air-cooled SOHC, two-valve engine. The list is much longer, Yamaha has a whole list of different 250cc models rolling daily out the factory, Yamaha is worlds largest air-cooled motorcycle manufacturer.

Again a small list of companies who cannot be without Sachs Automotive products, BMW, Husqvarna, Porsche, Honda, okay, the list is so long that I will get boring....

It is easy to say Yamaha or Honda offers any 250 cc bikes currently in Thailand. This indeed true, but still for 2009 both Honda and Yamaha, even Kawasaki has 250cc class motorcycles on the road in countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and Europe.

As I said before the 2009 Yamaha XT250, available in almost everywhere on this planet is a air-cooled SOHC 2-valve engine, then the latest version of the Honda CRF230 is, yep you guess right, a 230cc air-cooled SOHC; two-valve engine. The a 2009 Kawasaki 250 TR, this calls on memories from my first Yamaha XT500, anyway it is a 250cc air-cooled SOHC, two-valve engine. The list is much longer, Yamaha has a whole list of different 250cc models rolling daily out the factory, Yamaha is worlds largest air-cooled motorcycle manufacturer.

Again a small list of companies who cannot be without Sachs Automotive products, BMW, Husqvarna, Porsche, Honda, okay, the list is so long that I will get boring....

Will thailand get the japan spec/built bikes or the budget brazilian built ones ?...from memory the budget crf150 and the xt250/serow have drum rear brakes and anologue speedos and more missing that the jap bikes get, i know a tornado xr250 was $2500 new in brazil, be interesting to see the prices in thailand,. Edited by imaneggspurt

xt250-2009.jpg

The Yamaha 2009 XT250 (with both front and rear disc brake)

2009-Honda-CRF230Ma.jpg

The Honda CRF230M (with both front and rear disc brake)

Both this motorcycles are Japanese build, and are worldwide available

I also include a link to the specifications of the Honda CRF230 (not M) so people can compare Honda's creation against what is on the Thai market in the form of a Tiger Boxer 250 RS and the Sachs X-Road 250 which is expected to enter the market arena. The 2008 Honda CRF230 Specs (The 2009 Honda CRF230 has all specs the same with exception of a rear disc brake)

Edited by Richard-BKK

xt250-2009.jpg

The Yamaha 2009 XT250 (with both front and rear disc brake)

2009-Honda-CRF230Ma.jpg

The Honda CRF230M (with both front and rear disc brake)

Both this motorcycles are Japanese build, and are worldwide available

I also include a link to the specifications of the Honda CRF230 (not M) so people can compare Honda's creation against what is on the Thai market in the form of a Tiger Boxer 250 RS and the Sachs X-Road 250 which is expected to enter the market arena. The 2008 Honda CRF230 Specs (The 2009 Honda CRF230 has all specs the same with exception of a rear disc brake)

And yet in Mexico (and Brazil also) they sell the CBX250 and the XR250 both of which have (drumroll...) rear drum brakes. And both are cheaper than the off road only CFR230. In fact the XR250 is 3465 pesos (9264 THB) cheaper and the CBX is 5250 pesos (14 000 THB) cheaper than the off road 230 in Mexico.

He Dave,

I'm aware what Honda and Yamaha is offering in South America, still the Yamaha XT250/Serow or the Honda CRF230 is with disc brake, and not with drum brakes as Imaneggspurt indicated.

Still even a modern drum brake is not bad....

He Dave,

I'm aware what Honda and Yamaha is offering in South America, still the Yamaha XT250/Serow or the Honda CRF230 is with disc brake, and not with drum brakes as Imaneggspurt indicated.

Still even a modern drum brake is not bad....

WRONG !, they are actually available in a few countries with a drum rear,.

post-62885-1242041231_thumb.jpg

That is the 2008 model, as I said before the 2009 Honda CRF230 has both front and rear disc brakes.... My link to the US specs of the CRF230 already says the difference between 2008 and 2009

Still it is clear that almost every motorcycle manufacturer, who has a 250cc class bike, builds SOHC 2-valve Air-cooled bikes. And most even upgraded the models for 2009.

Anyway Imaneggspurt, you must be riding something ultra-modern... As everything is old- and not up-to-date technology for you?

Edited by Richard-BKK

Hi guys. The Sachs will be made here in Thailand by Tiger Motorcycles. the reason for the delay is that they are so busy with the release of the Retro and TT150. But as the Thais say 'coming soon'

Allan

... and that would then explain the cheap price. Looks like a neat bike.

That is the 2008 model, as I said before the 2009 Honda CRF230 has both front and rear disc brakes.... My link to the US specs of the CRF230 already says the difference between 2008 and 2009

Still it is clear that almost every motorcycle manufacturer, who has a 250cc class bike, builds SOHC 2-valve Air-cooled bikes. And most even upgraded the models for 2009.

Anyway Imaneggspurt, you must be riding something ultra-modern... As everything is old- and not up-to-date technology for you?

Richard, the crf150 is still available with a disc an s america for 09,my brother is a dealer there,albeit in a more off road biased model ,they have a lot of models there we never see ,like the xrx350 honda, seen one of them ?.$2750 new,.my comments are really to do with whats here in thailand is either really expensive or old design budget stuff, ala platinum,.i like you have multiple bikes but now i really only ride off road or overland on a husky 250 (local ) or a wr450 ,nothing special,i sold my hayabusa after realising id like to live out the rest of my life naturally, thailand roads are appalling, il stick to the dirt thanks,. :)