Reccommend A Good Anti Virus Scan

Flow

Can anyone reccommend a good virus scanner. My thumdrive has something that can't be cleaned with the usual anti-virus software.

Thanks

The unusual anti-virus software might not clean it either.

AVAST http://www.avast.com/

or AVIRA http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

- both offer a free version too. I prefer Avast!

but none of the mentioned above has a REAL-TIME-PROTECTION, if I know that right, and that's something essential nowadays, isn't it ?

From Avira:

Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus is a comprehensive, easy to use antivirus program, designed to offer reliable free of charge virus protection to home-users only. Avira offers: Extensive Malware Recognition of viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, worms; Automatic incremental updates of antivirus signatures, engine and entire software; Permanent virus protection, with Virus Guard real time monitoring; Install and configuration in just a couple of steps, setup to protect your PC in minutes; Virus protection against known and unknown threats, using an advanced heuristic system; Scheduler where you can set the scanner to make automatic virus scans or updates on your system; Forum and phone support; Knowledge Base with virus descriptions available on web site; Rootkit Detection and Removal; A modularized AV-search engine for improved scan performance.

From Alwil Software (AVAST):

Avast Home Edition is a complete ICSA & Checkmark certified antivirus, Checkmark certified anti-spyware & anti-rootkit package. Avast includes the following components: On demand scanner with skinnable simple interface, just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button; On access scanner, special providers to protect the most of available e-mail clients; Instant messaging--ICQ, Miranda; Network traffic--intrusion detection, lightweight firewall; P2P protection for Kazaa, BitTorrent; Web shield--monitors and filters all HTTP traffic; NNTP scanner--scans all Usenet Newsgroup traffic and all operations with files on PC; Boot time scanner--scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does.

From CNET Editor (AVAST):

With immediate real-time protection, clockwork updates, and much more, this free software is highly regarded.

I would say Avast also, it is light weight, and has the marvelous option to reboot and scan before boot-up. in this mode it catches virus's that other seem not able to remove....

I'm so impressed that I even purchased the Professional Package, the Home version is free to download and to use for one 1 year. Avast has daily virus updates... Serious working software package, and also useful for the "older" computers which not have shitloads of memory.

I use Avast Professional with Windows XP Professional, which runs in a VM Workstation, with 1gb as virtual memory, and Linux as host operating system. Still the performance of the whole system is very fast and works like a charm. Previous I was a dedicated Norton security suite user, but this memory cloaking monster was able to slow the system down to a crawling rate.

For the Mac users here Avast also has a Mac version, and like me, if you also have MS Windows, you can have a serious discount in buying the both.

It is not all sunshine, the Linux version of Avast, all it works perfectly, I have replaced by BiDefender, just because it looks better. As I not really need a virus scanner on my Linux computers, the selection criteria is a bit different. (Basically I only need anti-virus on my Linux computer to scan files which I going to send to MS Windows users)

Avast free version doesn't expire - you just need to get a new registration key from them. The program will remind you near the expiration date and will take you to their website in one click. Give them your e-mail and pick the new key from your inbox in five minutes, copy-paste - Done.

It has six real-time "shields" - new files written on the disk, USB sticks plugged into the computer, mail, p2p traffic etc. You can pause and start them altogether or one by one if you need - it's all done with a right-click on Avast icon in system tray, you don't need to start the program and wait until it loads.

Avast doesn't give you daily splash screen with advertising, like Avira, and no update progress window that you have to minimize manually, it does everything in the background, there's just a popup in the system tray when it's done - virus database has been updated.

From the convenience point of view - it's perfect, way above the competition. If you start talking about detection rate it's just average. Perhaps NOD32 or even Norton have better scores in that area, but the risk is worth it in my view - there is always have to be a compromise between security and convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaspersky is probably the best out there. Any free ones will not be as good. ZoneAlarm uses the Kaspersky engine.

May I suggest you install it first, then copy all your USB files to a folder on your PC then format the USB and copy the files back across. Anti-virus programme will kill it on the PC more easily than the USB.

Ive had many issues like this and the way I deal with it is as metioned above.

Kaspersky has the new Internet Security Suite 2009 with three licenses for a very reasonable price.