Trees, Water, But No Mosquitoes ?

tim armstrong

Recently I had dinner for the first time at Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in Pattaya. Apart from the great food, atmosphere, and the whole story of this amazing place, I was intrigued by the absence of mozzies. To those who haven't been there, the restaurant is on about 2 rai of beautiful terraced tropical gardens leading onto a beach. It has a sophisticated high pressure misting system, to keep the rainforest environment and lawns very green. But not a single mosquito !!! The misting system was not on all the time, there was not much breeze, and it was a warm evening. It also doesn't seem like a place that uses too many if any, pesticides.

There was no one about to ask, but given my ongoing battle with mozzies, I would be interested to hear opinions. To pre-empt some, I don't think it's got anything to do with the hundreds of (unused) condoms decorating the place.

Recently I had dinner for the first time at Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in Pattaya. Apart from the great food, atmosphere, and the whole story of this amazing place, I was intrigued by the absence of mozzies. To those who haven't been there, the restaurant is on about 2 rai of beautiful terraced tropical gardens leading onto a beach. It has a sophisticated high pressure misting system, to keep the rainforest environment and lawns very green. But not a single mosquito !!! The misting system was not on all the time, there was not much breeze, and it was a warm evening. It also doesn't seem like a place that uses too many if any, pesticides.

There was no one about to ask, but given my ongoing battle with mozzies, I would be interested to hear opinions. To pre-empt some, I don't think it's got anything to do with the hundreds of (unused) condoms decorating the place.

I think C&C uses pesticide in that mist :)

Look closely and examine their use of planted Lemon Grass, or simply ask the manager, highly effective and used at their restaurants in Bangkok and CM with great effect.

Thanks for that Chiangmai. I didn't notice the lemongrass, but you're probably right. I never thought it was that effective, but I'll try it at home.

Look closely and examine their use of planted Lemon Grass, or simply ask the manager, highly effective and used at their restaurants in Bangkok and CM with great effect.

Thanks for that Chiangmai. I didn't notice the lemongrass, but you're probably right. I never thought it was that effective, but I'll try it at home.

i ate thai food there, even asked for it extra spicy, phet mack mack, since i know it is a tourist trap. worst panang gai i ever had by far. place was beautiful though i would trade some mosquitoes for good food. i doubt there was one chili used in the dish and it was almost creamy white instead of deep orange

Edited by Lost in LOS

I wonder if there are particular types of lemongrass. I planted heaps of lemongrass (the normal ones the Thais use in tomyum) around my outdoor area, but there are still mosquitos...I can't say for sure the lemongrass isn't working; perhaps there would be more mosquitos if there were no lemongrass. Who knows.

The gas thing looks interesting: I wonder what is the active ingredient?

I heard these gaz mosquito killers are the most efficient machine for big outdoor area.

I live near a lake where a few of those machine are installed, we have almost no mosquitoes.

Pierrot, the gaz thing looks interesting, do myou have any more details on source and price ? Thanks.

...I wonder if there are particular types of lemongrass. I planted heaps of lemongrass (the normal ones the Thais use in tomyum) around my outdoor area, but there are still mosquitos...I can't say for sure the lemongrass isn't working; perhaps there would be more mosquitos if there were no lemongrass...

Exactly my thoughts. I appear to have two types at the front of my house, but I still get some mozzies. Maybe there'd be thousands of them if the lemon grass wasn't there.

med_gallery_35489_957_145614.jpg

Someone did tell me that you are supposed to smash up the leaves and spread the mess on something to make them effective - not just grow the grass. But I don't know how true that is.

I heard these gaz mosquito killers are the most efficient machine for big outdoor area.

I live near a lake where a few of those machine are installed, we have almost no mosquitoes.

Pierrot, the gaz thing looks interesting, do myou have any more details on source and price ? Thanks.

Sorry, can't really help. I saw this stuff first time on TV, they were saying it’s the most efficient way to deal with mosquitoes on a large area like a big garden or a park …

Then I noticed these machines around the lake where I’m living and it’s true we almost have no mosquitoes.

But I’ve no idea where to buy in Thailand. I saw sometime ago similar models in Home Pro but they were not selling for cheap. Sorry, I can’t help more.

Pierrot, the gaz thing looks interesting, do you have any more details on source and price ? Thanks.

These look like they are Mosquito Magnet units. Here is their website http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/

The distibutor details for Thailand given on their website are:

Venus Technology Co.,Ltd.

634/4 Soi Ramkhamhaeng39(Theplila1) Prachautit Rd

Wangthonglang,Bangkok 10310

Thailand

Phone: :+662-725-0888

Fax: :+662-725-0840

Email: [email protected]