Plant Nursery As Business

At the tescos in Suphan amphur I observe that the garden shop in the car park does a good trade. Where I live there is a lot of house building but no nursery anywhere that I can see. I mentioned it to the wife as a possible business...moderate demand, low initial investment and labor intensive. We are going to buy some land for a new house and I wondered 'buy another half rai and put up a big shed...'.

Any thoughts from anyone who has contemplated this sort of enterprise?

At the tescos in Suphan amphur I observe that the garden shop in the car park does a good trade. Where I live there is a lot of house building but no nursery anywhere that I can see. I mentioned it to the wife as a possible business...moderate demand, low initial investment and labor intensive. We are going to buy some land for a new house and I wondered 'buy another half rai and put up a big shed...'.

Any thoughts from anyone who has contemplated this sort of enterprise?

I had experience with something similar outside of Thailand. Keep in mind that plants are not a simple commodity; they require a lot of care. Regular watering, appling fertilizers, insecticides, keeping them in/out of the sun, etc. If you cannot sell them fairly quickly they gradually take more and more space, more and more care.

However, if you can do it in a well noticable location, do some marketing around the newly built areas, and sell to private clients (rather than to other nurseries or gardeners), it seems like a good idea. :o

Just decorated a 400 sqm garden, which took around 70000 Baht worth of plants :D

Nothing really fancy but nothing cheap looking either...

I would say if you can combine it with doing the design/gardening service you could make some good cash.

I was quoted between 150.000 and 290.000 Baht for the garden using rougly the same plants :o

Ended up doing it myself and saved a nice bunch :D

What a wonderfull business, I think! :D

Shoppers in usually good moods, good products for everyone.... Shopping for plants and flowers has always been the ONLY shopping I enjoy :D

My first job as a kid was selling roses on a street corner. I loved that job! :o

Anyone have any personal garden pics to show? I have limited space, but I'm always looking for new ideas and unusual plants... My garden is mostly built around a 3 meter natural-rock waterfall w/fishpond. I'm going for the 'overgrown jungle' look. :D