Buying Land In Koh Tao

My wife is planinig to buy small piece of land (less than 2MB) in Koh Tao. (Gulf of Thailand next to Koh Phangan)

I heard that buying land in Koh Tao is not like other places as Land in Koh Tao doesn't have land tittle (Chanote).

Can any one give some advice on buying land in Koh Tao?

And I also would like to know the land price in Koh Tao.

It's all goverment land in Koh Tao so you can not buy. I have a friend who built a house there some 18 years ago. The local mafia came and cut the way to his house so he had to flee from there. Don't even think about it. Take the story of Mr Ban who was shot by them.

I've lived in Koh Tao for 7 years and know many people who have bought land here. A good person to ask is a guy named Tony who owns the Lotus Bar in Sairee Beach. He'll also be able to refer you to a guy named Lincoln who also owns quite a bit of land here also.

Also, Mr Ban had nothing to do with any land deals and everyone who lives here knows who killed him and why.

Thanks for the information.

I don't know MR Ban's story but it scares me.

I just want buy land for my self. Hope nothing happen to me.

I knew that all the land of Koh Tao is belongs to goverment or king.

People told me that there is a way to around this situation.

Is there Some sort of leasing agreement?

I have been to Koh Tao a couple of times but I did see only a few sing board for selling lands.

It was lots less thank Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

What is the best way to find a good deal in Koh Tao?

Sounds to me like you should take your time really sussing out the deal in koh Tao. If you do determine that it's possible to buy, then go to Samui and get the best lawyer to do the due dilligence and contracts/purchase for you. A firm like Mcevily and Collins are expensive but you certainly get what you pay for. The islands are notorious for rip offs and things often aren't what they seem and 2 Million baht is 40 000 pounds, not to be sniffed at.

Regards Bojo

Thanks for the information.

I don't know MR Ban's story but it scares me.

I just want buy land for my self. Hope nothing happen to me.

I knew that all the land of Koh Tao is belongs to goverment or king.

People told me that there is a way to around this situation.

Is there Some sort of leasing agreement?

I have been to Koh Tao a couple of times but I did see only a few sing board for selling lands.

It was lots less thank Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

What is the best way to find a good deal in Koh Tao?

They have a real estate office in Maa Haad 200 meters up the road from the main pier. On the right. Can't miss it.

Mr Ban was an on going feud with another mega dive shop owner who will remain nameless. You couldn't possibly get involved with that if you tried, so no worries there dude. :)

According to the local press the land office is looking into suspect land cases at the moment. They are looking into over a 1000 cases on Koh Tao. As Tao is only 3km by 7km that's an awful lot of cases for a small island. Lots of people have " bought ' land on Tao.

A Thai who has a resort on the island told me that nobody, even Thais, can buy or sell land on Tao but people do. One day he said lots of people are going to be very sad. I for one would not risk a lot of money on something that was suspect but that's just me. :)

I heard in the early days of problems with land and locals claiming land back for unpaid debts etc.As for Mr Ban his untimely death was nothing to do with land deals.But this was all a long time ago.

Yes Koh Tao is government owned property,However it can be leased and registered as por por 5 title. Suratthanni officials will and can site the land and register at land office you then pay relevant taxes etc. I have done this myself and have the same confidence with Koh Tao as with other properties we are involved with on other islands.

Remember however to research what you buy

who currently owns the lease

Grade of land you cannot build on land that is to steep

Height of property houses on the hills cannot be built beyond a certain elevation.

As for price of course that depends on location , supply of electricity water etc.

Final consideration :Property in Thailand always carries some risk don't invest in something that you couldnt walk away from if needed.

Edited by stiggy

That's a great post stiggy. I agree 100% with you.

Just some posts in here like

I've lived in Koh Tao for 7 years and know many people who have bought land here. A good person to ask is a guy named Tony who owns the Lotus Bar in Sairee Beach. He'll also be able to refer you to a guy named Lincoln who also owns quite a bit of land here also.

or

They have a real estate office in Maa Haad 200 meters up the road from the main pier. On the right. Can't miss it.

made me think that some are really talking bullshit.