Driving In Thailand

bhatmasterson

I agree with Ajarn about most of the drivers being ok.

There have been a few cases of road rage and a few harsh responses to road rage so it is unwise to assume that such behavior will go unpunished.

A broken yellow line means the paint machine or it's operator was not working properly. A solid yellow line means they had some extra money in the budget.

Just deal with it as mnbcm has suggested.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have driven over 1 million kilometers in Thailand, and I think you are wrong. I would say tha 90% of Thai car drivers are safe and curteous drivers. Maybe you should not drive in Thailand, because you are talking like you are the dangerous driver.

The road accident/death figures suggest otherwise. 600 or more deaths in one week of New Year, every year!! What is the annual road death rate nowadays? It used to be about 30,000.

How many vehicles go through red lights, ignore pedestrian crossings, overtake on blnd corners, pull straight out of side streets onto a busy road? What's safe about that? :)

Late at night, I have seen cars driving fast the wrong way in the middle of Thapae road , numerous cars in the moat and I'm often faced with a car speeding towards me from the back where I have no option of moving over.  Just recently, I saw two cars overturned at the corner of the moat. They were both very badly damaged, and appeared to have been in a race. That's not unusual. The main highways, because they are mostly divided by a barrier, are safer but one lane each way country roads are death traps.

Tell someone about a bad driving experience that you've just had and I guarantee that the people around you can not only tell you of a similar experience but that their story will be about an incident within the last few days. They don't need to go back to last month or last year because they happen so frequently.

I don't get angry driving here, but I still recognise how dangerous it is.

I assume that your last statement is just for the sake of provocation. The chances are that he is a much safer driver than most Thais.

Thailand has the worst drivers, by far, of the 30 countries I've visited or lived in.

That list includes Cambodia, Laos and India. If you think 90 percent of the drivers are reasonably safe and courteous, you've never driven in Issan or the North East. To many of these imbeciles, roads are merely paved surfaces, no different than parking lots, the surface paint is decorative.

Comments such as: [...] It's THEIR country and WE (foreigners) must ABIDE with THEIR ways (read ways, not laws), is ludicrous. I live here, pay taxes, have a business and got married to a Thai national. Laws are not enforced in Thailand, and WE are totally within our rights to bitch and moan about it. I have friends who were born here but raised in the west who complains even more than WE do.

What kind of an idiot would dumb himself down and start acting like a baboon because he lives in the jungle. Not me. Enjoy the bananas.

This is perhaps the single most approriate (and correct) comment that I have seen posted on TV.

Thailand has the worst drivers, by far, of the 30 countries I've visited or lived in.

That list includes Cambodia, Laos and India. If you think 90 percent of the drivers are reasonably safe and courteous, you've never driven in Issan or the North East. To many of these imbeciles, roads are merely paved surfaces, no different than parking lots, the surface paint is decorative.

Although, I understand what you are saying, Vietnam is worse. At least they don't drive with their horns here. :)

I have driven over 1 million kilometers in Thailand, and I think you are wrong. I would say tha 90% of Thai car drivers are safe and curteous drivers. Maybe you should not drive in Thailand, because you are talking like you are the dangerous driver.

The road accident/death figures suggest otherwise. 600 or more deaths in one week of New Year, every year!! What is the annual road death rate nowadays? It used to be about 30,000.

How many vehicles go through red lights, ignore pedestrian crossings, overtake on blnd corners, pull straight out of side streets onto a busy road? What's safe about that? :)

Late at night, I have seen cars driving fast the wrong way in the middle of Thapae road , numerous cars in the moat and I'm often faced with a car speeding towards me from the back where I have no option of moving over.  Just recently, I saw two cars overturned at the corner of the moat. They were both very badly damaged, and appeared to have been in a race. That's not unusual. The main highways, because they are mostly divided by a barrier, are safer but one lane each way country roads are death traps.

Tell someone about a bad driving experience that you've just had and I guarantee that the people around you can not only tell you of a similar experience but that their story will be about an incident within the last few days. They don't need to go back to last month or last year because they happen so frequently.

I assume that your last statement is just for the sake of provocation. The chances are that he is a much safer driver than most Thais.

quoting Ajarn.....

unquote.....

I think that is a bit of both actually "provocation" and them pills kicking in again.

I would never question Ajarns veracity (as a rule that is :D ) but from what I understood he was a lecturer or something of the kind, but having driven over 1 million kilometres in 25 years (40,000 km's / year) i would have to think I got the lecturer bit wrong. It would now seem to be more than likely his "job title" was long distance lorry driver :D

1 million km's is over 700 round trips to Bangkok.

I haven't driven anything close to a million km's here in the realm but I have clocked a few in my time here. (perhaps a hundred thousand)

I have though also driven in around 40 countries (when working or playing) and whilst I agree that there are some worse than Thailand, Thailand gives them a real run for the title of the most dangerous drivers in the world.

And to those who say OK it is Thailand, it's their country let them drive like they want, kill around 300 to 400 a week "so what" and, "if you don't like it F/O home there is only one word for you" "chok wow"

Edited by john b good

Maybe your driving experience is different than mine, or maybe I have a more realistic eperience with Thai drivers. I rarely drive at night when the idiots are awake and at the wheel, and sure I have got similar stories, but with 1 million kilometers, the chance of me seeing something in 25 years of driving here matches what you have seen at home, I feel sure. Fact is, I have never hit anybody, nor has anyone ever hit me, and I'm a fairly fast agressive driver (not a crazy driver). I still stand by my words because of my experiences. Seeing one or two crazy drivers over any period of time is not unusual anywhere in the world. As a final note, be aware that I'm talking about car drivers, not motorcycle drivers which are the cause of most accidents, by far.

Edited by Ajarn

I drive every day and am frequently frustrated by the driving skills of my fellow drivers. Back home people have been physically attacked, even killed as a result of what is sometimes called "Road Rage," when one driver does something that another driver sees as crossing "the line."

There are reasons for every type line that is commonly painted on the highways and streets in many countries. Where I come from the markings on the roads mean something. Such as two solid yellow lines in the middle of the highway means "Do Not Pass." Why has that knowledge not been taught to the general driving public here? Surely the person who ordered that Thailand's highways and streets be painted in the same fashion knows what the the lines mean.

Strangely enough, I've never seen a Thai person struck with road rage. On the other hand, I've seen quite a few foreigners pretty hot and vocal when another driver crosses their line.

What's the solid line next to a broken line in the middle of the road mean in your country?

What's the broken line in the middle of the road mean?

I had a conversation with a friend of mine concerning the issue of Thai's rude driving habits. My position is that I figure that I have a choice - I can be pist off all the time, or just accept it and go with the flow. I chose the latter for 2 reasons. First, as stated in many posts here, I'm in their country. If I don't like it, I can, and should, leave. Second, one can find humor in it in a way. They are so in your face about NEVER NEVER waiting their turn - it's as though I'm driving in a city filled with unruly adolesents. So I accept the way they drive with a sense of humor. However, I'm not talking about the babies on motorcycles; that is just too much, but then again, nothing that I can do about it.

My friend's approach, understandably, is considerably different for one reason only. While I drive a car and feel somewhat protected from the self-interest-only Thai driving rules, he rides a motorcycle and pointed out that it's his life that is often at risk. He finds Thai driving unacceptable and infuriating. I had to agree with him. Hence, I'll never ride a motorcycle in this country.

Comments such as: [...] It's THEIR country and WE (foreigners) must ABIDE with THEIR ways (read ways, not laws), is ludicrous. I live here, pay taxes, have a business and got married to a Thai national. Laws are not enforced in Thailand, and WE are totally within our rights to bitch and moan about it. I have friends who were born here but raised in the west who complains even more than WE do.

What kind of an idiot would dumb himself down and start acting like a baboon because he lives in the jungle. Not me. Enjoy the bananas.

This is perhaps the single most approriate (and correct) comment that I have seen posted on TV.

The problem with getting upset with the mania described as Thai driving is two-fold - 1 - it does no good and won't change anything, but more importantly, 2 - you only hurt yourself by letting it get to you.

How come in Chiang Mai drivers take up two lanes of a carriageway and never seem able to decide which lane to drive in, they always seem to hovver over the line in between two lanes. Seems to be a Chiang Mai trait. Never noticed it elsewhere, however I've never driven in Bangkok.

Regards Bojo

Motorbikes in the left lane, drivers straddling both lanes as they overtake them. As there are so many motorbikes, it seems like the drivers are not picking a lane, when in fact they're just giving the motorbikes some room and are concerned if someone overtakes, there won't be room to avoid the motorbikes.

I would say tha 90% of Thai car drivers are safe and curteous drivers.

Maybe your driving experience is different than mine, or maybe I have a more realistic eperience with Thai drivers.

...Fact is, I have never hit anybody, nor has anyone ever hit me, and I'm a fairly fast agressive driver (not a crazy driver). 

well I did post a picture of the head-on crash that I suffered so you could be right there. That could be called CURTeous, I suppose. :D

Amongst other things, my foot suffered severe fractures, which meant I had to have plates put in. For a while it looked like I would never play Tennis again!! I remember vivdly the day I managed to hobble the short distance to the Gymkhana on crutches and, after feeling good about my first venture outdoors for a few months and my new-found mobility, I then felt a little depressed at the thought that my Tennis career may be  over. Worst still was that after watching the golfers come in I contemplated the horror of all horrors  - 'I'm going to have to take up golf'!! :D

Fortunately, six months later, I made a full recovery, but the thought that I might have ended up playing Golf still haunts me to this day. :)

When I read the original post I started to laugh. It is the same story I've told many times here in Canada. If the Thais got road rage like the Americans do in California there would be mass murders every day. The Thais are basically peacefull people and just accept what we call idiotic driving behaviour. Most Thai roads were not designed for such an increase in vehicle traffic that has happened in the past 25 years. There is NO place to park, or even stop. So, the Thais just park anywhere they want for whatever reason. They don't care that it might totally block a narrow road or change a two lane road into a one lane road with two way traffic.

As a foreigner we see that as silly and it upsets us. To the Thais it is as normal as having cattle wandeing aimlessly down main roads looking for some field with grass, and meanwhile blocking a whole lineup of traffic. Drivers straddle the so called dividing line between lanes in hopes that they might get around the person in front of them, but prevent the people behind to get past. It's all a big game... that somehow works because the Thais are patient.

I find it doesn't really matter because nobody worries and we all get to wherever we are going anyway. Very little important time is lost.

I find it doesn't really matter because nobody worries and we all get to wherever we are going anyway.

Except for those tens of thousands who are killed or needlessly maimed because some dumbass kid who never got a license and has never given insurance a thought, cut them off or T-boned them and ruined their lives and their families lives. And the cops are willing to turn a blind eye to any broken law as long as they get some whiskey money for helmetless riders ...

But that's ok? Amazing Thailand

Edited by Texpat

When I read the original post I started to laugh.

It's all a big game... that somehow works because the Thais are patient.

I find it doesn't really matter because nobody worries and we all get to wherever we are going anyway. Very little important time is lost.

Where can I buy some of those rose-tinted glasses?

30,000 dead each year!! Despite the attempt at  humour in my previous post the reality is that through no fault of my own, I faced a pick-up suddenly pulling out in front of me and for one short moment I was staring at the prospect of dying along-side my wife. 

Extremely bad, selfish, thoughtless driving on his part. My swift reactions and seat-belts were all that saved us. Did you see the picture of my car? Hilarious isn't it?

Just because the Thais will give that awkward apologetic smile each time they cut you up or force you to brake suddenly that doesn't hide the fact that driving in Thailand is extremely dangerous. 

It's not a big game, it doesn't somehow work, plenty of people worry, and not everyone gets where they are going. 

Our friend Ajarn doesn't include motor-cycles in his equation. Maybe they don't count?

Sure, don't get angry, but always take driving in Thailand very seriously.

post-81810-1241947747_thumb.jpg

[Our friend Ajarn doesn't include motor-cycles in his equation. Maybe they don't count?
As I said, motorcycle drivers are mainly responsible for the accidents and deaths in Thailand.

But I was talking about car drivers, and there is a big difference.

Edited by Ajarn

30,000 dead each year!! Despite the attempt at  humour in my previous post the reality is that through no fault of my own, I faced a pick-up suddenly pulling out in front of me and for one short moment I was staring at the prospect of dying along-side my wife. 

Extremely bad, selfish, thoughtless driving on his part. My swift reactions and seat-belts were all that saved us. Did you see the picture of my car? Hilarious isn't it?

Just because the Thais will give that awkward apologetic smile each time they cut you up or force you to brake suddenly that doesn't hide the fact that driving in Thailand is extremely dangerous. 

It's not a big game, it doesn't somehow work, plenty of people worry, and not everyone gets where they are going. 

Our friend Ajarn doesn't include motor-cycles in his equation. Maybe they don't count?

Supposedly there are ~18,000 fatalities/year in Thai traffic, 85% of which are motorcycle riders.

Horrific enough :)

/ Priceless

Supposedly there are ~18,000 fatalities/year in Thai traffic, 85% of which are motorcycle riders.

Horrific enough :)

/ Priceless

Yes and the majority of whom are riding perhaps 3,000 to 4,000 km's a year (not 40,000 as some have on this thread, claimed that they personally do)

I will stand by my words "if you can find a Thai driver (incl, motor cycle rider, long distance lorry driver, I really don't give a shyt) who knows the law, let alone complies with it" show him / her to me.

My lawyer a few years back (working on his PhD in law, already had his equvilent to LLB & LLM) could not tell me what the the speed limit in Thailand was.

When my wife went for her "bai kap kee" she had the option of paying 105 baht or something around 500 baht she was gauranteed to get said doc / card.

All these folk (for want of a lesser description) who say that Thailand's drivers are of any recognised standard have either been standing in front of a bunch of kids in a class room or sitting by the swimming pool.

God forgive them for so little they actually know.

Edited by john b good

And to those who say OK it is Thailand, it's their country let them drive like they want, kill around 300 to 400 a week "so what" and, "if you don't like it F/O home there is only one word for you" "chok wow"

John b, I have one word for you: "please translate".

I know chohk means "luck" but like, wow, dude I can't find the rest of it anywhere. TIA.

So coming back to the yellow or what ever colour the lines are why paint lines on the road in the first place if nobody give a hoot about them? the highway department or the government could save millions of baht every year by not marking the roads at all :)

So coming back to the yellow or what ever colour the lines are why paint lines on the road in the first place if nobody give a hoot about them? the highway department or the government could save millions of baht every year by not marking the roads at all :)

Actually the government recently painted some lines (wide ones) on a major intersection in Chiang Mai where the motorists had previously consistently ignored the markers which prohibited turning onto the Super Highway from where they would often turn. The result has decreased the number of violators by about 50 percent (because I would guess that it is so obvious now that it is not a valid lane from which to turn).

The way to increase money to the government would be to simply place an officer at the intersection and cite the violators.

What I want to know is why they painted the road bright red just before the Nong Hoi underpass on the Middle Ring. It looks ridiculous, and is very distracting if you're not used to roads suddenly turning red. And just prior to the tunnel as well, so that makes it two features that aren't too common on Thailands roads being thrown at drivers at the same time. Why?

Exactly. If you are not going to enforce a law then don't make it in the first place. I don't condone the crazy Thai driving style. It makes absolutely no sense. For the most part, Thai drivers have absolutely no respect for anyone else on the road. They just do whatever they feel like doing. I've yet to see any policeman pull anyone over for speeding, illegal parking, passing on corners, driving in the oncoming lane, etc. Only occasionally do they enforce the helmet law for motorcycles in Chiang Mai... but they do so in Bangkok and Pattaya.

All I was commenting on was their patience for people who do stupid things and yet lack any respect for other people who are inconvenienced by their behaviour.

Why paint the lines? Because somebody's mate has a company that does just that. :D

He just got a contract for painting bicycle lanes. :D

The solar-powered twinkling lights along the road around the moat was a nice little earner too. Didn't they look nice? Some of them are still working six months later!!!

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

Why paint the lines? Because somebody's mate has a company that does just that. :D

He just got a contract for painting bicycle lanes. :D

The solar-powered twinkling lights along the road around the moat was a nice little earner too. Didn't they look nice? Some of them are still working six months later!!!

:D

They refinished the Mae Jo road a few weeks back and no lanes, arrows or anything was painted for a couple of weeks. Situation normal. The drivers roamed the street freely, yaw right or left, no worries.

Then the trouble began.

They painted all the lines back, & arrows and other things.

Seems like for a few days they drivers didn't have a clue. Slot car driving, ya know the vehicle going down the middle of the line, turn when and wherever..all over the road.

It was less difficult without the lines and arrows and other things and lines.

I do like those little blinky lights around the moat. Kinda cool lookin'.

The way to increase money to the government would be to simply place an officer at the intersection and cite the violators.

That would require actual work and yield no benefit to the policeman.

Ain't gonna happen.

Exactly. If you are not going to enforce a law then don't make it in the first place. I don't condone the crazy Thai driving style. It makes absolutely no sense. For the most part, Thai drivers have absolutely no respect for anyone else on the road. They just do whatever they feel like doing. I've yet to see any policeman pull anyone over for speeding, illegal parking, passing on corners, driving in the oncoming lane, etc. Only occasionally do they enforce the helmet law for motorcycles in Chiang Mai... but they do so in Bangkok and Pattaya.

All I was commenting on was their patience for people who do stupid things and yet lack any respect for other people who are inconvenienced by their behaviour.

Agree 100% with your comments so I won't repeat them :D

I will however add to them with, "no action is ever taken against drivers and or motorcycle riders who are still proceeding through an intersection long after the red is showing"

Anyone who condones Thai driving practices has the IQ of a geranium :D

Sigh.. I don't know why I bother sometimes to explain every little ittie bittie tingie about Thailand, but the lines are obviously very useful. It helps check if oncoming traffic is encroaching on your lane or not. Especially in corners this is very useful; if someone is cutting a bend short and moving into your lane, then you can move out of the way a bit. It's a near-subconscious thing, you don't even realize you're watching this when driving in Thailand, but you are. You'll notice especially when on a newly paved road without lines.. you WILL miss them!

I paid attention today and noticed that some really wide roads have an uninterrupted line in the middle (Chang Klan road South for example). And then there's some uncle doing 30 km/h and braking every time as much as a motorbike emerges from a soi.. You BET I'm overtaking that sucker. If only Thais would speed up a little and not drive like old ladies.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai