Connecting My Laptop To My Flat Screen Lcd Tv

Sophon

I recently bought a new Acer Travelmate 7730 series laptop with Windows Vista installed. My latest laptop had XP installed, and as I have had that for the last six years I have very little experience with Vista. When I connect the laptop to my LCD flatscreen only the picture is transferred to the TV, the sound is still played through the laptops internal speakers. If I want to watch a movie the internal speakers just aren't up to the job.

If I connect my stand alone DVD player to the same HDMI input on the TV the sound comes through just fine, so I assume that the "error" is on the laptop side of the set-up. I also assume that it should be possible to transfer sound from my laptop via the HDMI connection, but I am a novice in such matters so I could be wrong. My flatscreen TV shows up as a standard PNP display under the system units on the laptop.

It's not that I would normally play DVD's on my laptop instead of my stand alone DVD player, but I have the same problem if streaming TV from the internet. And when watching TV i prefer to do it on an actual TV instead of on my laptop.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thank you in advance.

Sophon

Laptops (and many earlier GFX cards) often have HDMI of earlier revisions with 'image only' broadcast.. Getting the image and digital bitstream sound to a display via HDMI was problematic for many people.

I dont actually do this as my receiver doesnt switch HDMI, so pipe out DVI and the AC3 digital audio.. So dont have direct experience.

Check in your audio settings, if you have the full capability HDMI you should have an HDMI Audio Device (don't remember the exact name) listed. Set that to be your default audio device.

Try again :)

check your HDMI settings on your LCD - in the HDMI audio you will want something like "digital audio on"

edit - maybe not :)

I have just checked on mine and realised the digital audio on setting was on my DVD player and not my LCD

Edited by stumonster

Check in your audio settings, if you have the full capability HDMI you should have an HDMI Audio Device (don't remember the exact name) listed. Set that to be your default audio device.

Try again :)

This worked, I now have sound on my TV. Much better than the tinny sound coming from my laptop.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

Sophon