Toyota Fortuner Desiel Alternative Fuels

HI,

I'm a novice to desiels........

Anyone know, can put a LPG tank on a desiel? Or any other type of cheaper alternative fuel?

If yes, is it wise/suggested to be a good idea?

and on a Toyota fortuner, can it go under the car?

Cheers..... (apology, don't know alot about this).

You can use LPG or natural gas however there are safety issues about the installation in Thailand. I don't know if bio diesel is available in Thailand or not but another alternative is a converter that turns used cooking oil into fuel.

Know a guy with CNG/NGV installed in his Fortuner ever since he's had it (4 years). He's never had any problems with it and says it's saved him heaps. There's also B5 (a blend of 5% of biodiesel with petrodiesel) available at most stations these days. It's little bit cheaper than regular and will cause zero problems for the engine.

He had the tank put behind the rear seats. I don't think it would be possible to put the tank underneath the car since there wouldn't be enough clearance. As for safety just make sure you got to a reputable garage for the installation and have regular checks/maintenance and there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Edited by momosan

Know a guy with CNG/NGV installed in his Fortuner ever since he's had it (4 years). He's never had any problems with it and says it's saved him heaps. There's also B5 (a blend of 5% of biodiesel with petrodiesel) available at most stations these days. It's little bit cheaper than regular and will cause zero problems for the engine.

He had the tank put behind the rear seats. I don't think it would be possible to put the tank underneath the car since there wouldn't be enough clearance. As for safety just make sure you got to a reputable garage for the installation and have regular checks/maintenance and there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

When Fortuner and Vigo was facelifted 6 months ago, one of the improvements was that it now can run on B5 (5% cookingoil in the diesel). Thats the only diesel available at PTT. Older engines than 2009 will be harmed by B5, but after many years of service. Like 5-10 years/150-250k km.

Chevy sells the Colorado pickup with CNG. It runs on diesel mixed with 30% CNG. You reach break even at 160.000 km, and then start saving baht. The CNG tank is very large if you want it to cover 200km, so it doesnt fit under the Fortuner.

Tatra sell a pickup with only CNG tank. It covers 160-200 km on a full tank.

You can also run 30% LPG, which actually improves performance. The LPG tank fits in the sparewheel-mount under the Fortuner. But unsure how the price of LPG will develop bacause its imported. Plantoil and CNG is made domestic.

How is someone operating a 100% LPG system on a diesel motor?

LPG can be injected into the intake as performance enhancer, as with water/alcohol injection on turbo diesels. I have used, and installed, both in the last few years and they work well. Propane (LPG) injection was preferred, kinda like a diesel NOX system, but allowed my 2.5 liter Mitsubishi motor to have much great speeds on our long Canadian hills. My two stage system wasn't used around town, but when touring and used selectively provided performance boost with no reduction in mileage. Sounds like I'm selling something, but I'm a petroleum chemist who has played with fueling options for the last 20 years since receiving my degree and diploma. Talked to several shops in CM that install intercoolers, they haven't heard about LPG injection – only alcohol water injection. Not saying no one does it, just in my limited experience here it appears uncommon.

Katabeachbum reported a 30% LPG injection system, and with proper air, fuelling and boost controls there should be a much noticeable performance boost. Hope the Toyota is running a EGR gauge.

We hope to have a intercooler and LPG injection system installed next month (Vigo), and if anyone is interested I can report here on the details and results?

LPG can be injected into the intake as performance enhancer, as with water/alcohol injection on turbo diesels. I have used, and installed, both in the last few years and they work well. Propane (LPG) injection was preferred, kinda like a diesel NOX system, but allowed my 2.5 liter Mitsubishi motor to have much great speeds on our long Canadian hills. My two stage system wasn't used around town, but when touring and used selectively provided performance boost with no reduction in mileage. Sounds like I'm selling something, but I'm a petroleum chemist who has played with fueling options for the last 20 years since receiving my degree and diploma. Talked to several shops in CM that install intercoolers, they haven't heard about LPG injection – only alcohol water injection. Not saying no one does it, just in my limited experience here it appears uncommon.

Katabeachbum reported a 30% LPG injection system, and with proper air, fuelling and boost controls there should be a much noticeable performance boost. Hope the Toyota is running a EGR gauge.

We hope to have a intercooler and LPG injection system installed next month (Vigo), and if anyone is interested I can report here on the details and results?

I remember watching a program a few years back that detailed such a system. Basically there are three very major advantages with such a system:

1. More torque IIRC about 20%+ can be expected.

2. More fuel efficient. The LPG helps to burn the diesel more completely and also thus also reduces some of the more noxious gasses while at the same time extracting the most power from the fuels used.

3. With the now more efficient burning of fuel the engine will be getting a lot less wear and tear and last longer between servicing.

Very interesting setup.

Yes, very interested.... please do report your details and results. If you can't find the thread again, you could PM as well.....

Vigo and Fortuner is the same engine, so I m very much looking forward to read Fishenough experience on this. I v done it on a 7,3 liter V8 Ford (International Harvester actually) engine. 50% Lpg gave 40% more hp and torque on dyno, and 30% fuel-cost reduction.

When I said 30% LPG mix for Toyota I wanted to be careful.

I dont know anyone running diesel engine on 100% LPG, and what would be the point. Buy a gas engine if you want to run on LPG. Cheaper and longer life time running on LPG.

The Indian Tatra made in LOS, comes with a 2,2 litre Benz-based diesel running on 100% CNG. Still with 100k km Warranty.

• 4 weeks later...
HI,

I'm a novice to desiels........

Anyone know, can put a LPG tank on a desiel? Or any other type of cheaper alternative fuel?

If yes, is it wise/suggested to be a good idea?

and on a Toyota fortuner, can it go under the car?

Cheers..... (apology, don't know alot about this).

a good alternative fuel is methylated spirit .

then your car will go like a bomb

.....boom boom .

I haven't seen any diesel+LPG conversions in Thailand. Yet. There are a couple of people on mentioning it on this forum, though.

Usually people swap the engines to run on LPG.

With Fortuner you can buy 2.7l petrol mode and convert it for less than 40,000 baht, but don't expect same performance as from 3l diesel. It won't affect your insurance, afaik, but Toyota would most likely withdraw warranty on all engine related troubles.

I haven't seen any diesel+LPG conversions in Thailand. Yet. There are a couple of people on mentioning it on this forum, though.

Usually people swap the engines to run on LPG.

With Fortuner you can buy 2.7l petrol mode and convert it for less than 40,000 baht, but don't expect same performance as from 3l diesel. It won't affect your insurance, afaik, but Toyota would most likely withdraw warranty on all engine related troubles.

Fortuner already performs much better with 3,0D4d than 2,7 petrol. same hp, but much more torque. LPG injection 2,7 is ok, but 2,7 vacuum LPG is really lazy.

I m going to boost a 3,0D4d, and if LPG parts/electronics/kit are available, 30-50% LPG is an option. 250-280 hp should be easy, with reduced fuel costs. LPG tank in place of sparewheel, under floor.

The Aussies developed an LPG injection system for diesels. It only used about 20 percent LPG but it reduced emissions and enhanced power and economy. Unfortunately it was a VERY expensive system. I have heard nothing about it recently. At that point it was being used on long distance truck trains.

The Aussies developed an LPG injection system for diesels. It only used about 20 percent LPG but it reduced emissions and enhanced power and economy. Unfortunately it was a VERY expensive system. I have heard nothing about it recently. At that point it was being used on long distance truck trains.

A canadian company is really good at diesel/LPG blend 30-50%, and I m currently investigating if they have done anything with Fortuner/Vigos diesel commonrail

• 3 weeks later...
The Indian Tatra made in LOS, comes with a 2,2 litre Benz-based diesel running on 100% CNG. Still with 100k km Warranty.

can u quote ur source for this info, ive had little joy in finding a 'LOS made' tatra anything.

Start here http://www.tatamotors.co.th/

WARNING I get a malware site attack warning when trying to access :)

Never heared of diesel running on LPG, because they have much higher compression ratios than petrol engines. But some guys here state it does, so interesting to know that.

To the OP: If you have not a modern diesel, which common rail or direct injection, forget alternative fuels. If you use and old type of diesel, you can put many things. Mainly used palm-oil, sesam oil, sunflower oil it all works great, mix it with a little diesel, maybe 10%.