Thai Nationality

Acquiring Thai Nationality

Hi Folks,

A British buddy of mine who is expecting a "luuk krueng" says it's possible for farangs to get Thai nationality. I'm married to a Thai lady (have been for 8 years) and we have a son. I googled "Thai nationality" and found this on Thaivisa's main page. I pasted the relevant parts below.

Does anybody on here have any details/experiences? Thanks!

Saturday, 23 December 2006

To acquire Thai nationality

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) a person does NOT need to be 40 years or have spent 10 years in Thailand.

They must be of the age of majority, be of good character, be gainfully employed, have continuously lived in Thailand for not less than FIVE years and have knowledge of the Thai language. (Section 10)

It's an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand or having studied in a local university/college as an undergraduate.

The applicant must complete an application form and submit various required documents to the Criminal Investigation Division Group I, Subdivision 3, Police Department, Rama I Road, Bangkok.

The official fee is Baht 5,000. The processing takes 2 to 3 years.

That fee is for permannent residency. Which you have to have before you can apply for citizenship. I think it is still 5000 baht for citizenship.

Try a search of this forum (search box at lower left side of main page) for citizenship

Slightly off subject, but I remember about 7 years ago, I was at Pattaya immigration on Soi 8 stood outside waiting for it to open, and I was chatting to a member of staff outside who was smoking.

I was moaning about the visa situation in Thailand and he said he could fix me up with a five year visa for 40,000 baht (off the record). I didn't take up the offer, but I still wonder about it, to this day.