Thailand Vs Philippines

spaceshipcrew

On the paper, Philippines's the winner, no contest.

Then try to live there ... and welcome to Thailand :) .

Honestly, I've been in Asia for more than 15 years. In the beginning people tried to convince me that Philippines were the place to be. Highly educated people, fluent in english, hundreds of islands, best beaches in Asia ... Now these people are all living in Thailand.

Actually a number of old Thai people are married to Filippinas. Long time ago it was the most developped place in Asia and when you couldn't afford to study in Europe or the USA, Philippine were the place to go. How they went down so badly ? Maybe SJ can explain ...

I lived in the Philippines for 7 years before moving to Thailand 8 years ago - for me Thailand is the clear winner. Weather is more extreme there, typhoons are a real nuisance - much more serious than the rainy season here. Doing business there can be very difficult, corruption seems to seep in to every walk of life at every level. It is generally more expensive there, and far less range of goods available.

Having said all that I have many friends and an elder brother who still live in the PI and they much prefer it over Thailand, so in the end like all things it comes down to a matter of personal choice, but I wouldn't move back there for all the tea in China.

I must agree with spw888 that in the end it all goes down to personal choice because i have friends living in the PI who have also tried living thailand and didnt like the bureaucracy and hardships of communicating in thailand. they have said lots of good things about thailand though but preferred the PI for some personal reasons. i guess the philippines could well be a good alternative for thailand if one may wish doing so