Theft In Chiang Mai

ollylama

In the five years I've lived in a house in Chiang Mai, various houses I've rented have been broken into three times. The first two times (I believe) were due to the fact that our house (near the university) was adjacent to a construction company that housed a mass of illegal Burmese migrant workers who could keep tabs on us and see when we came and went. The first time it seemed that we surprised them because they only a small camera was missing and a gathered pile of valuable stuff was left in the middle of our living room. The second time a friend who was house sitting seemed to arrive just in time for them to escape because the door was forced open but nothing was missing.

After living in that house for three years, we lived in a house on a Nimmanhaemin soi which had just been broken into before we rented it -- the farang girl who lived there prior to us had lots of valuable stuff stolen including her laptop. But the landlord took great pains to secure it and so it was pretty hard to break into.

We moved into a new house in the Wat Gate area last September. Three days ago our house was broken into. Our landlord who lives next door says such a thing has never happened in the neighbourhood as far as he knows. About 900 dollars in cash (unlucky - normally we don't keep that kind of money in the house) and a camera was stolen, but all other minor valuables were left behind. A door was forced open but not before they almost managed to unscrew the entire set of bars from one of our windows and go in that way.

Interestingly, all three break ins happened during a holiday - Loi Kratong, then Songkran, now Macha Bucha.

I'm curious to know if we're just really unlucky or if any of you all have been robbed, and if so, how often?

By the way, the tourist police were totally unhelpful, rude and unwilling to come out and investigate. It was only when our landlord (who is from a well known family) called the cops that half the police force showed up.

Word to the wise -- double check all your doors, maybe install deadbolts instead of padlocks, and secure your valuables. And unless you're well-connected, don't expect any help from the Thai police.

ad to hear that, but your experience is not only confined to chiangmai, we live in land and house in phuket, and the first week we were in, were were broken into,along with 6 other neighbors that night, now land and house is suppose to be a secure place, management were shocked, and now, security has increased.

not a pleasant feeling is it, dont know what i would have done , if i caught them at it.

also, a bulding site less than 200yds away, is full of burmese, so management here were suspicious

One of my businesses was broken into - also on a holiday - but they seem to have been looking for cash as they didnot take anything and a fairly new computer was left behind. My guess is that they could not get it out through the roof where they had gotten in and the place was locked up tight downstairs - they did not want to break out for a computer.

Several businesses near Thapae Gate have been broken into during the last few year and all on holidays.

Edited by Ulysses G.

i had the same issue in Samui, my house was directly opposite a new hotel construction site, many things went missing of my drive and porch, but luckly the house was never broken into....

funny thing was i brought all my shoes ect into the house, but the missus keeped putting them back on to the balcony !

16 years in the Kindgom never had a break-in, guess I'm just lucky or don't having anything worth breaking in for. :):D to hear of your trouble, maybe you and the wife need a full time house guest, such as an older aunt or grandmother, or cousins that could rotate a short stay with you all so someone would be home at all time>just a thought. some people result to monkey bars, expensive alarm system and even dogs all of which can be taken out easily by a clever thief. Best of luck, hope things improve for you.

In my time here, my house has never been entered by anyone I didn't know. I figure it was mostly luck, or maybe the many cameras I have around my house to keep an eye on things :)

Foreigners are the prime target for obvious reasons, and we tend to be absent more than Thais. You will always find someone somwhere on a Thai property.

I have been broken into 5 times in the last 20 years, with the last time being the worst, with them just about cleaning the house out, I was away at the time in Bangkok.

The house across the road was broken into last week for the second time in 2 years (farang owned) None of the Thai houses in the area have ever had a break in :)

None of the Thai houses in the area have ever had a break in :)

Presumably the reason is the one you also gave:

Foreigners . . . tend to be absent more than Thais. You will always find someone somwhere on a Thai property.

None of the Thai houses in the area have ever had a break in :)

Presumably the reason is the one you also gave:

There have been several houses Rass, Thai and Farang, that have been burgled when the owners have been in the house, but not in my area.

A TV poster had his camera and laptop taken from his lounge room afrer he went upstairs to attend to his young son, and others that escape me for the moment.

You will always find someone somwhere on a Thai property.

So perhaps they are either someone looking after things or someone looking for things to take.

Edited by Bill97

I'm in the same mooban as Ajarn and have not had a problem in over a year.

My neighbor, thai police, had his TV and some other stuff that was removed a few weeks ago. ( Burglary )

I only noticed because the whole Chiang Mai CSI showed up and was throwing dusting powder on everything.

A group of Burmese are close by, they live in what looks like a small apartment ( 4 or 5 units ) just outside the mooban, ( just up the soi from the new Lanna Cafe ) but I have been told to be careful because of them, don't know why...seems they have been there longer than I have been here.

Another friend owns a business right at the gate to the mooban. Had a burglary a few months ago, now he's a well connected guy, and when he called the police, they wanted 10k baht to come and take the report.

Didn't surprise me at all.

In more than two years in a pretty rough part of town, with at least 20 Burmese living in a glorified shed over the road next to a shady second-hand car dealer, an ice cream 'factory' where a few workers slept in most nights as neighbours on one side, and a crazy washerwoman on the other, never a problem.

The washerwoman was a bit scary though. Probably better than a Doberman.

Dude! That's major. So sorry to hear about that Orryrama. The only upshot of something like this is a lesson maybe - like a $900 lesson. I once got swindled on something and lost about $750, and to this day the sting of that I think has helped me avoid other potentially bigger set-ups where I could have lost more. So maybe it cost you nearly a grand to learn you need an alarm system or something... a dog (maybe), and avoid a bigger hit in the future. I"m sure you won't forget this soon.

In the land of Karma and lucky-ness you may have other things to ponder on the spiritual side as well. We'll leave that up to you, but spirit houses, amulets and monks would spring to the minds of most Thais in similar situations... as would dogs and broken glass on the fence tops.

And finally... small valuable stuff in my house always gets tucked away squirrel style where it's less likely to get discovered, like in hollowed out books - Thai thieves won't never be touchin' no books! - or bottoms of laundry piles. If you have to have jewelry or cash at home I think the worst thing you can do is organize it and put in right in obvious places like office desks, bedroom bureaus, under beds, and especially table tops. The downside of being a hider is that every now n then I forget what new inventive place I've tucked something away and can't find it for the life of me... for even a couple days sometimes. That is good hiding.

Sorry for you loss man.

Sorry to hear that.

3 years in my current apt bldg and have only heard of one case, which was almost certainly an inside job.

I have little to no valuables (Schwab and HSBC have my real money), but like many locals/Thai own a safe. Sure, the doubters/skeptics will say it is a focal point and too obvious.

The fact is...a thief has little idea if a safe actually contains anything of value. Not worth the trouble and hassle to hijack someone to open, or try to crack the safe, for possibly zero to little return.

Buy a decent safe, say 55 kilos plus.

About 5000 baht for a quite decent new Leeco, combo/security key.

Someday, soon I hope, I intend to buy some valuables worthy of being stolen.

Various neighbors in my Mooban, Thai and non-Thai have been unlucky enough to own covetable valuables and have been burgled over the years. One such burglary was a laptop stolen from the living room in broad daylight while the owner was at home but upstairs. He now owns an overly sensitive German Shepard who barks at the slightest provocation. The next crime in our neighborhood is likely to be the murder of a german Shepard by persons unknown.

2 times people were in my house that were not invited. I agree with one of the writers that the police does not do a Thing!

Now I have an alarm system And a Rottweiler. No problems since then. The landlord ordered me to get rid of the Rottweiler because people were afraid of her. Of course... That is why I have her. By the way... She licks you to death :)

I agree with one of the writers that the police does not do a Thing!

Apparently you missed this:

My neighbor, thai police, had his TV and some other stuff that was removed a few weeks ago. ( Burglary )

I only noticed because the whole Chiang Mai CSI showed up and was throwing dusting powder on everything.

See, they do when they want to! :) Then after obtaining prints they probably checked ALL of the burmese workers in the area as well, just for being Burmese, and being there!

I'd like to get me some of that type of service from the police..! :D

I agree with one of the writers that the police does not do a Thing!

Apparently you missed this:

See, they do when they want to! :) Then after obtaining prints they probably checked ALL of the burmese workers in the area as well, just for being Burmese, and being there!

I'd like to get me some of that type of service from the police..! :D

Like my Doctor friend found out... it's easy for 10k baht!

The downside of being a hider is that every now n then I forget what new inventive place I've tucked something away and can't find it for the life of me... for even a couple days sometimes. That is good hiding.

I can't help but laugh at that. You hit me exactly. When I go away in the winter I don't have anyone in my home but my neighbour who checks in from time to time. I have a lot of semi-valuable stuff like computer, expensive fishing tackle, power tools, and a motorbike. I hid the key to my wall safe and I carefully hid the key to my motorbike in a book. When I returned 5 months later from Thailand I couldn't remember where I put the keys. It wasn't until six months later when fumbling around through some of my books that the key fell out.

I now just trust Karma. I try not to leave anything in vehicles over night, but sometimes there is no other choice. I haven't seen as much stuff stolen in Chiang Mai as I hear of on a daily basis in Vancouver BC. Both cities are almost identical in population and size. Most people I know in Vancouver have had their homes broken into and stuff stolen. The police are not too much help other than taking insurance statements. And, the courts are worse than useless. Nothing happens to the thieves even if they get caught and convicted.

The best option of all for those heirloomes that you simply can't afford to lose is a safe deposit box at your local bank. I pay 3,500 a year at SCB for a box that is about 60 x 25 x 15cms but larger options exist.

My house with the wife, kids and five dogs* has never been broken into in 20 years. Just fortunate, I suppose.

I remember the time when one of my dogs used to follow me to the tennis courts. My tennis partner Jack thought he was a lovely dog and patted and played with him, which the dog quite liked. One time, when Jack came to my house to see why I was late, the same dog nearly had his leg off when he entered the gate uninvited!! I consoled him with the statement 'Don't worry, he's just being territorial' which I thought was slightly better than 'He's only playing'!!

*Beware - they WON'T lick you to death!!

My house with the wife, kids and five dogs* has never been broken into in 20 years. Just fortunate, I suppose.

I remember the time when one of my dogs used to follow me to the tennis courts. My tennis partner Jack thought he was a lovely dog and patted and played with him, which the dog quite liked. One time, when Jack came to my house to see why I was late, the same dog nearly had his leg off when he entered the gate uninvited!! I consoled him with the statement 'Don't worry, he's just being territorial' which I thought was slightly better than 'He's only playing'!!

Mine does the same. If I am around she licks.. when I am not... just be very carefull and never ever attack me.

re: my original post, after we moved out of the university-area house (which i mentioned had been broken into twice) a thai woman and her son moved in. they weren't worried about getting robbed since they had two dogs. guess what happened? they went away for a while and when they came back everything in the house was gone, including the two dogs.

so we considered ourselves lucky that we got out of there when we did. still, i'm sure having dogs helps a lot. it depends on how determined the thieves are. some locations are worse than others. that area behind the university (lang mor chor) by suthep road is particularly bad - three years ago a friend who lived around there said almost every house on his lane had been broken into.

i guess i was hoping that wat gate was a more secure area. presumably there's no such thing.

Living in Canada we were robbed once while in the city then moved to a small town everyone on our street but us had a break-in. We had a Rottweiler. She came to Thailand with us but died two years ago. Now have another Rottweiler. This one is also a licker but crooks don’t know that. We have never had a problem here and as cmjantje said “just be very careful and never ever attack me or mine”. I know heirlooms are not replaceable but was wondering if anyone who lost goods had home insurance and if so was there a problem with replacements. Remember locks are for honest people.

Edited by bkkbill

I'd buy a safe, but not sure what I have of value that I'd put into it.. I could put in the laptops I suppose, but those either travel with me or are in my bedroom. Other than that..

Winnie, laptops travel with, but how about that external HD you back everything up onto. Would hate to lose a laptop (rainstorm, forget it a pub, fall from the moto - heard of all of these happening) and your BU was stolen from in the house just the week b4. You do back up don't you ? I met a dude last yr who lost 11 yrs of NGO projects, data, and other personal things due to a computer plaza miscommunication where they reformatted his HD and he had no backup. 11 yrs !!!! I'd $hit myself. And be really mad at self for never backing up. In the end they recovered alot of his data but all scrambled without folders so imagine sorting thru a HD of 100,000 different files ! Dang.

But, yeah not much valuable here at my place either, but I had no idea you could get a big heavy one for just 5k. That's a good idea McG!