Is Teaching English A Good Lifestyle Idea?

observer

I was going to put this question in the teaching section, but there it will get a biased response from people who have already made that choice in their life.

I'm thinking about training to do some teaching in Thailand. I'm 35 and feeling like a career change. I'm looking for advice from non-teachers already living in Thailand about whether they considered it, got out of it, would or would never do it etc. Is it the easiest option?

Also should I teacher train in England or in Thailand? I feel that I will get better quality training in England and it costs only about 10% more for equivalent courses (which I can't understand because trainer salaries and premises rents in Thailand should be a fraction of those in England but the course costs aren't)

Edited by observer

Its a great lifestyle if you can get by on an average of $10-15 dollar an hour. Best I can tell, most of these guys spend a lot of time hopping from job to job.

If you're willing to put in the legwork and networking, it might work out. That said, I know a fellow that works 7 days a week as much as he can for the grand total sum of 100,000 baht.

So depends on how this fits into your economics.

I have only meet a couple of English teachers, one was around your age, the other my age (50 something). What struck me about both is that they have reached a somewhat mature point in their lives (at least in age), but were still having to be very careful about how much they spent. I would hate to have reached middle age, having worked 15 or 20+ years and was still worrying if I could afford to drink more then one beer tonight because I had three last night and my budget only allowed 2 a day…

TH

I haven't met a falung teacher in Thailand yet that has said they enjoyed their job, or the conditions under which they work, or the salary that they receive, or the respect they get from their students and fellow educators. :D

It makes one wonder as to their choice of profession and location. :o

I have noticed that the ones who enjoy their jobs are newly arrived teachers in their twenties who have the world ahead of them and the older 50-retirement age

teachers who have invested well during their younger years, so don't have to worry about money so much. A lot of teachers in thier 30s and 40s are teaching as a temporary gig until something better comes along. I did it for close to 10 years from age 23 and then (through my wife's urging) made a change to better our financial situation. I most likely will go back to it in a few years time now that

my life is more stable financially. It's no problem being young and poor, but being

old and poor ain't no fun :o .

I haven't met a falung teacher in Thailand yet that has said they enjoyed their job, or the conditions under which they work, or the salary that they receive, or the respect they get from their students and fellow educators.  :D

It makes one wonder as to their choice of profession and location.  :o

Strange, most of the guys and girls i have met have enjoyed their jobs. The only one's who seem to moan are those in Government or Language schools and those who cannot get any other work in Thailand.

The only one's who seem to moan are those in Government or Language schools and those who cannot get any other work in Thailand.

You could be right Lawnmower...

The only teachers I know do not work in private schools. :o

I haven't met a falung teacher in Thailand yet that has said they enjoyed their job, or the conditions under which they work, or the salary that they receive, or the respect they get from their students and fellow educators.  :D

It makes one wonder as to their choice of profession and location.  :o

Strange, most of the guys and girls i have met have enjoyed their jobs. The only one's who seem to moan are those in Government or Language schools and those who cannot get any other work in Thailand.

So true. I enjoyed my time teaching because I did mostly all privates; higher pay,

lower stress and small friendly classes.

So true. I enjoyed my time teaching because I did mostly all privates; higher pay,

lower stress and small friendly classes.

Good feedback for the OP, observer. :o

Why struggle upstream when there is a fast flowing current to take you where you want to go? :D

It's a very personal thing. The best way to find out if you'll like it, to start with, is to take a TOEFL course.

Check out:

http://www.ajarn.com

http://www.ajarn.com/Education/tefl_course_news.htm

and

http://www.worldwide.edu/ci/thailand/schools/35072.html

It will give you an idea of whether you have what it takes and that you'll be happy doing it.

As mentioned above, it's best to do this if you don't have serious financial limitations that will make it a struggle to live on what you'll earn.

I guess they pay more in Bangkok. Outside, farangs are paid more than local teachers, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the average job in places like the UK or the US. I worked for a while at 28k baht a month. That was enough to get by comfortably, but not to live richly (unless you compare it to Thai salaries).

Statistically, Thai students are doing worse on tests, indicating socio-economic problems, dietary problems and attitude problems. Some want to learn, and there can be moments of sublime satisfaction, but often students will be students (bored, uncooperative, noisy and dumb). In some cases you may be able to teach in an air-conditioned room, but you may end up in a room with nothing but fans and noises from outside.

Language is another challenge. You may be asked not to speak Thai, but it helps. Students often don't know enough English to understand your instructions.

Whether you enjoy it or not really depends on you. It is best to do it because you want to live in Thailand and enjoy the people, etc., not because you need to do it to survive or just to have a job to satisfy visa requirements. :o

I was going to put this question in the teaching section, but there it will get a biased response from people who have already made that choice in their life.

I'm thinking about training to do some teaching in Thailand. I'm 35 and feeling like a career change. I'm looking for advice from non-teachers already living in Thailand about whether they considered it, got out of it, would or would never do it etc. Is it the easiest option?

Also should I teacher train in England or in Thailand? I feel that I will get better quality training in England and it costs only about 10% more for equivalent courses (which I can't understand because trainer salaries and premises rents in Thailand should be a fraction of those in England but the course costs aren't)

Sure does seem funny that you specifically don't want to hear from teachers (Because they'd be biased???), but you want to know about what's like to be a teacher, and details of their lives... And then you ask for the best quality teacher training ???? :o:D

You should see the english schools and for that matter any Asian Focused school in Aus or NZ.

The chinese students in the main either talk or sleep thru class,disrupting others who want to learn.

Stupid chinese parents send their little first born Fwit over ,buy him a merc and give him a grand a week....he learns zero and goes back to family business a better person.

The girls get nothing study harder and generaly pass!!!

If they dont get knocked up that is.

Thailand schools must make english compulsory....for the teachers first!

It's a very personal thing. The best way to find out if you'll like it, to start with, is to take a TOEFL course.

Check out:

http://www.ajarn.com

http://www.ajarn.com/Education/tefl_course_news.htm

and 

http://www.worldwide.edu/ci/thailand/schools/35072.html

It will give you an idea of whether you have what it takes and that you'll be happy doing it.

As mentioned above, it's best to do this if you don't have serious financial limitations that will make it a struggle to live on what you'll earn.

I guess they pay more in Bangkok. Outside, farangs are paid more than local teachers, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the average job in places like the UK or the US. I worked for a while at 28k baht a month. That was enough to get by comfortably, but not to live richly (unless you compare it to Thai salaries).

Statistically, Thai students are doing worse on tests, indicating socio-economic problems, dietary problems and attitude problems. Some want to learn, and there can be moments of sublime satisfaction, but often students will be students (bored, uncooperative, noisy and dumb). In some cases you may be able to teach in an air-conditioned room, but you may end up in a room with nothing but fans and noises from outside.

Language is another challenge. You may be asked not to speak Thai, but it helps. Students often don't know enough English to understand your instructions.

Whether you enjoy it or not really depends on you. It is best to do it because you want to live in Thailand and enjoy the people, etc., not because you need to do it to survive or just to have a job to satisfy visa requirements.  :o

Sure does seem funny that you specifically don't want to hear from teachers (Because they'd be biased???), but you want to know about what's like to be a teacher, and details of their lives... And then you ask for the best quality teacher training ???? :o:D

I think I know why he didn't post this in the teachers room!

I guess it beats cooking in a soi 'restautant' for 8,000 baht per month.

Sure does seem funny that you specifically don't want to hear from teachers (Because they'd be biased???), but you want to know about what's like to be a teacher, and details of their lives... And then you ask for the best quality teacher training ???? :D:D

I think I know why he didn't post this in the teachers room!

Why? Because he'd likely get more than mostly clueless, though caring, responses?

Looks to me like a troll for teacher-bashers that hasn't paid off :o

:D

I specifically stated that I didn't want this topic in the teaching forum, because the only people who come here are teachers or wannabe teachers. I am already aware of the upsides, so I want opinions from ex teachers and non-teachers, ie I want to know the downsides and reasons to NOT do it. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Edited by observer

I always thought one of the main drawbacks was the inability to save for the future. The pay is not high enough to save for retirement and I haven't heard that teachers are enrolled on any kind of pension scheme in Thailand. Although this maybe possible in higher end/international school jobs.

I guess that is what has held me back in the past.

The downsides, if that's what you're really looking for, include:

too low pay, sometimes long hours, too low pay, a terrible lack of communication, too low pay, hot working conditions, too low pay, large classes (in govt. schools), management that considers you to be a highly respected servant, poor management ---- and did I mention the pay?

And the advantages, the upside....you don't want to know. Also, you only want to hear from people who've tried it and quit. Kind of narrows the field, unless you've already heard the other side objectively.

Oh, did I mention the pay's too low?

I always thought one of the main drawbacks was the inability to save for the future. The pay is not high enough to save for retirement and I haven't heard that teachers are enrolled on any kind of pension scheme in Thailand

I'd agree with that generalization as pertaining to lower-end teaching positions, but for the true professional career teacher with the certs and degrees, there are some pretty good gigs around- ones that aren't often advertised on TEFL websites because of the extreme majority of minimally-qualified teachers around these places.

I spent the majority of my working life as a classroom teacher in Thailand (I was a teacher in Calif for a few years before moving here). After paying my dues for a few years (first fulltime teaching job paid me 6,000 baht per month + 2,000 baht for housing), I did get a series of lucky turns which allowed me to retire some years later with a nice nest-egg. If I can get lucky, you can, too :D

Of course, I can't afford to live toooo long :o

Sure does seem funny that you specifically don't want to hear from teachers (Because they'd be biased???), but you want to know about what's like to be a teacher, and details of their lives... And then you ask for the best quality teacher training ????  :o  :D

I didn't ask what it is like to be a teacher, and I didn't ask about the best quality teacher training. I asked non-teachers for their opinions on teaching, including why they don't teach / don't need to teach, and on why the teacher training courses in Thailand aren't as cheap as they should be. I have already made up my mind about which country will give me the best quality training. :D but I'm interested in achieving the best value for money.

All other locally produced services are much cheaper (including language schools staffed by Westerners, which are MUCH cheapr than language schools in England), so why aren't the teacher training schools? It is a question of general economics which non-teachers, as an outsider, and as a person who hasn't been to either type of school, might be able to answer more objectively than those involved in the "industry".

Edited by observer

All depends on your situation. If you really want to go to Thailand and try your hand at something new why not!!

Get your CELTA/TEFL and give yourself 12-18 months in Thailand. If you like it then you can stay, build up networks to better paid jobs etc. If you decide not to stay and end up detesting teaching then hey what's a year out of your life?......better than regretting it later in life and wondering what it would have been like! :o

Interesting approach, this "Observer" has. He's got his mind made up about a few things (fine), and wants to hear opinions from folks who in most cases haven't done the teaching bit. And he seems to have a burr in his saddle against the TEFL schools in Thailand.

Hey, Observer, have you observed any mackerel on the shore in Bournemouth lately whilst watching the birds on the shoreline?

How much does the CELTA cost in London? Anything close to 630 quid?

I started teaching when I moved here last year as it seemed it was the only immediate solution for work. Mind you, I was really looking forward to it and had prepared back home by getting a TEFL certificate etc.

I got along great with the students and Thai teachers. Classes were excellent. The MoE attended a few of my classes and the officer really enjoyed my lessons.

On the other hand, it turned out to be a nightmare with the school management... My contract, wich mentionned that I would work Mon-Fri from 8 to 4, was quickly forgotten and I was told that my hours would now be from 7:30 to 5, Mon-Sat. There were also other factors which made me hate the job. I was told that I could no longer leave the school grounds and cross the street to buy a drink (from school cafeteria only) or go hide around the corner to smoke a cigarette. The way Thai teachers were treated by management made me mad. I would often see one of them come back to my village every night around 8:30pm, they were asked to work longer hours constantly.

At the end of summer camp, I witnessed a few of them in my office getting mad while looking at the loudspeaker blaring orders from the "my hair is bigger than yours" witch of a school manager. She had just ordered all teachers (including me :o , I did not ) to show up on Sat-Sun as they would have to make some uniforms for the younger students. They had just worked 17 days in a row... and the school year was beginning on the following Monday. All the teachers also had to do cleaning and all sorts of unrelated work.

I ended up quitting on very short notice. They had lied to my wife and I about the contract. They begged for me to come back, only to save face by firing me a few days later before my visa expired. What was I thinking when I accepted to go back? Duh!

It's probably not how things happen in each and every school, I'm only telling you my experience. I got a great offer afterwards to teach in BKK (65 00/mth with appartment) but turned it down as I'd have to travel 4 hours a day from Chonburi and back and had just built a new house here.

My wife and I have decided to start a business.

In the last 2 months, I have earned the equivalent of my yearly teacher's salary...

There are other options out here.

Sure does seem funny that you specifically don't want to hear from teachers (Because they'd be biased???), but you want to know about what's like to be a teacher, and details of their lives... And then you ask for the best quality teacher training ????  :o  :D

I didn't ask what it is like to be a teacher, and I didn't ask about the best quality teacher training. I asked non-teachers for their opinions on teaching, including why they don't teach / don't need to teach, and on why the teacher training courses in Thailand aren't as cheap as they should be. I have already made up my mind about which country will give me the best quality training. :D but I'm interested in achieving the best value for money.

All other locally produced services are much cheaper (including language schools staffed by Westerners, which are MUCH cheapr than language schools in England), so why aren't the teacher training schools? It is a question of general economics which non-teachers, as an outsider, and as a person who hasn't been to either type of school, might be able to answer more objectively than those involved in the "industry".

I disagree (obviously and this is why it was moved). I think you've had better answers in here, than you did initially (I've met a few teachers and.......! No real info there, is there?). So lets see how it goes in here. I'm sure you'll get some pros of teaching and training here, and I'm sure you'll get some cons!

I think TEFL course providers charge as much as they do here for the same reason people sell cheese for such a high price compared to other food.......'cos they can! And people will still pay for it!

I can't see how people with no idea about teaching or training can answer objectively? As they'd be guessing and assuming?

Come on teachers whinge and moan please to keep this chap happy :D

Edited by kenkannif

A lot depends on what you mean by Teacher Training?

A full blown course in the UK will take you 3-4 years. It would be preferable to anything in Thailand,

even if you can cope with all the material here being in Thai?

With this sort of qualification you may be able to land a job in you chosen subject at an international schoo, earning a good salary.

Though I suspect such schools would want an established track record as a teacher first.

A TEFL class takes much less time, around 6 months I believe.

You will have to look carefully at the standards and reputation of the body offering the class.

This will lead you to a job teaching English, which is not highly valued in Thailand,

and generally pays a pittance. Often less than the wage required to get a

work permit, which is an essential document if you want any kind of stability here.