Japanese Style Tri Fold Futon In Bangkok?

dageshi

Has anyone seen one of these? Slept on a few in Japan and really liked them, was wondering if had anyone had seen them available for sale in bkk? Had a quick nose around Tokyu no luck there, googled all over but not found any hints, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Has anyone seen one of these? Slept on a few in Japan and really liked them, was wondering if had anyone had seen them available for sale in bkk? Had a quick nose around Tokyu no luck there, googled all over but not found any hints, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

There is a local company that makes them here in Bangkok and very good quality and decent. I got one for my spare room/tv room and more nights than not end up sleeping there and not going to my bed.

www.bangkokfuton.com

Unfortunately those arn't what I'm after, I think that's a european/american style futon which is more a piece of furniture than anything else. The ones in japan were put directly onto the floor on tatami mats, no wood, metal, plastic involved e.t.c.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use this as my Japanese futon in my room.

Futon1.jpg

I bought the left one from T.S.Patex

653-653/1-7 Soi Ramkhamhaeng 39

Ramkhamhaeng Road Wangthonglang Bangkok.

(near The Embassy of Cambodia)

It's look kinda hard but actually soft. 2 inch thick.

The left one is rubber 100%, the right one is rubber + cotton.

I try to find the exactly Japanese futon in Bangkok but never found one,

so I use this instead.

Has anyone seen one of these? Slept on a few in Japan and really liked them, was wondering if had anyone had seen them available for sale in bkk?

Although I myself has used one in Japan, there's nothing Japanese style about it (doubt it's even called futon in Japan). But I have seen a tri-fold mattress with Thai style trinagular shaped pillow attached to it at Isetan Dept. Store.

"The traditional Japanese bed is a futon which is laid on the floor only during the night and kept in a closet (oshiire) during the daytime. "

It has a picture of it here.

What we have in the picture are actually 2 futons:

Shiki-futon (shiki = flat, underlaying).

Kake-futon (kake = cover).

But both have "futon" in their name. If OP was after futon, that is it.

Another thing is a simple, 3 fold sponge mat, that does cover one tatami (floor space measure in Japan).

• 2 years later...

I've slept on the ones from Bangkok Futon numerous times and they are so much nicer than my Thai bed which looks like a western bed but feels like a giant cardboard box with fabric stapled to it.