Crash Helmet

tatom

Should be tight enough to have a firm grip on your head, and a good fit grips equally around the head..

Not so tight its puffing your cheeks in but not loose at all.. Also a new helmet sometimes expands when used a small amount as the padding settles.

I usually go for the violent head shake test, up and down, side to side. If it doesn't slide or move relative to your head, it should be OK. Check for high spots (against your skull). Check for good ventilation (see how quickly you can fog up the visor). Also, bring a pair of sunglasses/prescription glasses if you usually ride with them and check fit with the helmet. For me, putting on a full face helmet is a two-handed operation. It shouldn't be so loose that you could slap it on with one hand, like a hat.

Motorcycle helmets are an important piece of equipment for protecting and saving a motorcycle rider's life. A great fitting motorcycle helmet can make the different between life and death. Finding a helmet is more than just a matter of buying one that fits your head size--finding the right fit is the most important. Follow these instructions to learn how to get the best fit for your motorcycle helmet.

1. Determine the right size. Use your hat size, or measure the largest circumference of your head. Start from above your eyebrows and then move over your ears and around the back of your head. Check measurements for accuracy.
  2. Step 2 Try your helmet on. Hold the helmet over your head. The helmet bottom should face you with the front pointing down. Hold the inside of the straps with your thumbs and balance the helmet on your fingertips. Slightly spread the sides of the helmet apart as you slip it over your head.
  3. Step 3 Make sure the helmet sits squarely on your head. There should be no movement.
  4. Step 4 Fasten the straps securely. Your helmet should fit snugly on your head. The helmet may even feel too tight until it is in place correctly on your head.
  5. Step 5 Check to make sure the cheek pads touch your cheeks but are not pressing uncomfortably.
  6. Step 6 Check to make sure that there are no gaps between your temples and brow pads.
  7. Step 7 If your helmet has a neck roll, make sure that it does not push the helmet away from the back of your neck.
  8. Step 8 For a full-coverage helmet, press on the chin piece. The helmet or face shield should not touch your nose or chin, as the wind pressure from the ride will do the same. This will cause discomfort and can compromise your safety.
  9. Step 9 Once you've ensured the proper fit, move the helmet from side to side and up and down using your hands. You should feel a gentle, uniform pressure all over your head from the helmet.
  10. Step 10 Keep your head straight and the chin strap secure--try rolling the helmet forward off of your head. If you can pull the helmet off, the helmet is too big.
  11. Step 11 Take off your helmet. Check to see if there are any sore or red spots on your head. These are indicative of pressure points caused by the helmet's fit, which can be uncomfortable and cause headaches while riding. If you find any, this is not the right helmet for you. If there are spots, try the next helmet size up or a different brand.
  12. Step 12 Wear the helmet around the store a while and see how comfortable it is over time. Any decent store will allow this as they will understand what an important investment this is--a properly fitting helmet can mean the difference between life and death!

Do inexpensive DOT-approved helmets protect better than helmets than expensive Snell-approved helmets? The June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine addressed this controversy. That issue contains a

detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R (wBW review) to the $700.00 Schuberth S1 (wBW review).

Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved

Scorpion EXO-700.

Also, the UK's RIDE magazine tested 28 helmets in the May 2005 issue. While the testing methodology was slightly different, they also found that the HJC AC-11 provided the second best impact absorption of the lot. Could it be that a motorcycle helmet doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to provide good protection?

There's much, much more to the story, and we strongly suggest reading both articles and studying this subject before you buy your next helmet. One of the conclusions in the Motorcyclist magazine article is that a softer polycarbonate DOT-only approved helmet may provide the highest levels of protection.

I have finally found a decent Thai lid! I got an Index Hybrid 2 from the local big bike shop. A good fit and a good design and well made. After seeing yet another Farang with his head leaking all over the road I decided I needed a better lid. Well worth the 2,500 baht. :)

post-24982-1242012445_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1242012505_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1242012527_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1242012553_thumb.jpg

I have finally found a decent Thai lid! I got an Index Hybrid 2 from the local big bike shop. A good fit and a good design and well made. After seeing yet another Farang with his head leaking all over the road I decided I needed a better lid. Well worth the 2,500 baht. :)

That is the exact helmet I got, Great works well,

^ Sorry to hear that you place such a low value on your head... Always amazed at bikers who will invest big money on a bike and then go for a cheap helmet... BTW, if you're referring to my friend Jim who was killed on Friday May 8th please note he was wearing a top of the line DOT and SNELL certified HJC Carbon helmet. His death serves to remind us that even the best gear can only do so much.

I've heard rumors that Index is going to produce DOT certified helmets, but to date I've never seen one. If the helmet you purchased has not passed DOT certification it would be more appropriate to call it a brain bucket, and not a motorcycle helmet.

Good luck!

^ Sorry to hear that you place such a low value on your head... Always amazed at bikers who will invest big money on a bike and then go for a cheap helmet... BTW, if you're referring to my friend Jim who was killed on Friday May 8th please note he was wearing a top of the line DOT and SNELL certified HJC Carbon helmet. His death serves to remind us that even the best gear can only do so much.

I've heard rumors that Index is going to produce DOT certified helmets, but to date I've never seen one. If the helmet you purchased has not passed DOT certification it would be more appropriate to call it a brain bucket, and not a motorcycle helmet.

Good luck!

Your friend was not on Samui when he tragically died so no I was not referring to him. Condolences to the family. Just another stupid farang that rides round the island in a pair of shorts and little else.

As for having a low value on my head ? far from it. I have a UK spec ROOF helmet which I use when off island. I also have an armoured jacket and UK heavy duty leather trousers. The helmet I bought was for island use and when riding the shopping trolley. As such it serves its purpose very well. As said it actually is a good lid.

As you mentioned even the best, most expensive equipment will not save you from every accident.

I have never found an index helmet that fitted the shape of my head.. To be honest at the budget end of the market REAL helmets (dot approved) are impressive for the price.. I will probably pick up a higher end helmet back in Europe this summer but actually feel the REAL brand is fine for 90% of my riding.

I have never found an index helmet that fitted the shape of my head.. To be honest at the budget end of the market REAL helmets (dot approved) are impressive for the price.. I will probably pick up a higher end helmet back in Europe this summer but actually feel the REAL brand is fine for 90% of my riding.

Yeah- REAL does seem to make some decent DOT certified lids, but unfortunately they are designed to fit perfectly round Asian heads, not egg-heads like me... :)

Good luck!

Your friend was not on Samui when he tragically died so no I was not referring to him. Condolences to the family. Just another stupid farang that rides round the island in a pair of shorts and little else.

As for having a low value on my head ? far from it. I have a UK spec ROOF helmet which I use when off island. I also have an armoured jacket and UK heavy duty leather trousers. The helmet I bought was for island use and when riding the shopping trolley. As such it serves its purpose very well. As said it actually is a good lid.

As you mentioned even the best, most expensive equipment will not save you from every accident.

Looks like a decent helmet. Much better than Lotus/Carrefour. Perfect for the island. I'm headed there to do some diving and other things as soon as next month. Where exactly did you get it?

:D As any reasonable person knows, any helmet is better than none, as long as it is strapped on, a snug fit is also very important. It's not exactly rocket science. :D

I want to buy a full face helmet. Not sure how it should fit.

Im sure tight is not good, how about snug or maybe a bit loose?

Snug is right. FYI, helmets usually come in a round or oblong shape, differing usually by brand, like Shoei and Arai. So if a helmet does not seem to fit well in any size, try a different brand. No helmet is worth much if it is not strapped. Also, be sure it has some ventilation so you don't suffocate inside of it. Tinted shield is only good for day, no more than minimal tinting for night. I prefer not to change my shields anymore, so I go for no or very light tint. You can always wear sunglasses.

Yeah- REAL does seem to make some decent DOT certified lids, but unfortunately they are designed to fit perfectly round Asian heads, not egg-heads like me... :)

I purchased a REAL helmet the other week, to use as my 'local helmet' for short rides to the shop/markets. It seems to be okay. I have always had top end helmets, but their not the sort of thing I want to leave at the tesco/lotus helmet bay or hanging off my handlebars whilst getting the daily veggies at the market.

For BHT 2500 that Index helmet should be DOT approved, no?

I have the Kawasaki/REAL large size helmet. Has DOT and looks great in matte black, but maybe a bit too snug... they don't make X-Large, I asked.

And yeah even a BHT 200 helmet you'd wear for the helmet police is better than nothing, for sure.

There certainly are practicalities to consider when talking about helmets in Thailand. Are you going to wear your Arai + armored jacket when going to the market on your Honda Wave? Didn't think so... :) instead you are going to rely on paying attention and not going too fast, like the older thais do. They have survived decades of helmet-less motorcycling so they know what they are doing. And for as many motorcycle accidents I have unfortunately witnessed in Thailand, I have never seen an old thai involved in any of them. It was either teenagers or middle aged drunks. Would love to see some real statistics on that, actually.

Edited by nikster

J I got the helmet from Uhm's bike shop. he has 1 in Chawang and 1 in Lamai. Everybody knows Uhm on Samui :D And the diving is excellent at the moment as well. Sail rock was lovely the other day. :) A few of us have taken tochartering our own boat for the day and making a day out of it Enjoy!

I have the Kawasaki/REAL large size helmet. Has DOT and looks great in matte black, but maybe a bit too snug... they don't make X-Large, I asked.

You might want to tell them that.. XL and XXL on thier site..

An XL on the shelf in front of me..

The Kawa shop kindly loaned me a 'sports' helmet as they called it, on Saturday. I dropped it off today but didn't buy one as I couldn't figure out the strap. I struggled doing it up with the helmet off, and with it on it was a non starter! Are all Real helmets a similar design, two silver catches and a press stud?

I like the flip front design type, but I don't fancy paying Thai prices for an imported make. I might have to live with a cheaper Real until the summer. The Kawa lid is a re-badged Real Stealth black. Real is 2,200baht, with a Kawasaki sticker on the front, 3,000baht!

Does anyone know of a shop that carries Real North of the City, from Lad Prao to Rangsit?

The Kawa shop kindly loaned me a 'sports' helmet as they called it, on Saturday. I dropped it off today but didn't buy one as I couldn't figure out the strap. I struggled doing it up with the helmet off, and with it on it was a non starter! Are all Real helmets a similar design, two silver catches and a press stud?

Yes real does use the old fashioned slider system.. Arguably not as safe as it promotes riders just 'sliding on' the helmet and ignoring the chin strap... But also arguably when properly used a stronger system..

My observation is that Asian skulls and Western skulls are not the same shape. Anyone else notice this?

Westerners have a pronounced melon shape in the back of the head, and Thai heads are often more flat there. My wife says it's because babies here sleep on their backs. Not sure I buy that reasoning, but ...

I think a helmet fitted for a Thai head wouldn't fit me very well.

Price has no bearing on a helmet's ability to pass the DOT tests. I have an XL size REAL helmet... They make XXL too.

I bought about 4-year back a Shoei X-Spirit, and I'm still very happy with it, last year I replaced the cheed pads, which was 1050 Baht. But we counts if it is about safety. I also looked for the Index Hybrid helmet a few times, for the budget price of 2000 Baht I can always buy one as spare

I bought about 4-year back a Shoei X-Spirit,

^ Richard, 4 years is too old for a motorcycle helmet used in tropical heat! I'm sure you are aware that helmets have a limited life? Plastic and foam become more brittle with age.

Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every two to four years.

Per Bell: How often should a helmet be replaced under normal wear and tear?

Bell has a general recommendation of replacing a helmet every three (3) years.

Here's a very informative article on helmets from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

Happy Trails!

Shoei suggest that its fiberglass combined with organic fiber helmets be replaced 5 years from purchase date or 7 years from manufacture date, whichever comes first. Shoei also cover its helmets for the entire lifespan of the helmet (5 years from purchase date or 7 years from manufacture date) with a full warranty against manufacturing defects.

Also last year I replaced most of the internal foam components.... Also the helmet was something like 25,000 Baht it is hard to depart from it....

From those superstores you want to buy floor mops and mosquito repellent, not motorbike helmets, man! If you're in BKK, head to Dirt Shop, Stadium or Paddock for quality crash helmets. Your brains MUST be worth that much to you! I'll be happy to give you phone numbers and directions if you want.

Cheers b@

From those superstores you want to buy floor mops and mosquito repellent, not motorbike helmets, man! If you're in BKK, head to Dirt Shop, Stadium or Paddock for quality crash helmets. Your brains MUST be worth that much to you! I'll be happy to give you phone numbers and directions if you want.

Cheers b@

Hi B@!

The Voice of REASON! :)

Happy to see you on ThaiVisa!

Happy Trails,

Tony and Nong

It kind of amusing to see the comments from some people that a 2500baht helmet is Ok for going down the shops. I would have though going down the shops was more dangerous than cruising the highway!

• 9 months later...

Personally, I got an Arai trans-ross 2, doesn't go with the PCX, but it was the best fit for me with plenty of 'breathing space' so not to feel claustrophobic. More money than I was thinking of spending, 2g max, but ended up with a 20g helmet!!! go figure. But after thinking about, it's our heads we're talking about so I'll pay that price anyday. But I only use that one when I go to and from work on the 'super highway'. Otherwise I have a cheaper one for in town use so I don't have to worry about the Arai going missing. Try to stay away from the Tesco and such, I actually got the PCX 'design' helmet to match. Yeah vane I know, but it comes with internal sun visor. and at only 1.2g. I'll still be F@ piss if it goes missing but not as much as losing an Arai