Good Ip Cam:

Crushdepth

I want to set up an IP camera on my balcony to monitor traffic down the highway so I can see if its a waste of time trying to go home, or if I should just go get a couple of beers first. It might even become something of a public service. Anyone got recommendations on a good brand/model?

I guess it needs to have a reasonable lens and resolution - it will be filming a landscape rather than a close up portrait. Any weather proof models out there?

Guest Reimar

Take a look at the Level One models. That cameras are excellent. But you should also use an level one router/modem.

Please keep in mind that you'll need for each camera 2 ports to forward.

Cheers.

Depends on your budget. IP camera's tend to be expensive due to all the extra technology inside it (LAN, WIFI, webserver etc).

And most still have rather poor, often Chinese made, CCD chips in them.

And I haven't seen any outdoor units yet!

D-link has some reasonable good ones, even a budget pan/tilt/zoom model for around 12,000 Baht.

Should be no problem to get a weather proof enclosure though. All these CCTV shops stock many types of enclosures...

The Vivotek PZ6112 and PZ6122 available from two suppliers in BKK at around 21 500b, purchased a year ago. I couldn't find a better camera for anywhere near the money last year whilst looking.Google for suppliers. Absolutely amazing cameras that one can operate remotely from any internet connection. Zoom, pan and tilt from anywhere. I have one in a business premise and can watch 270 degrees. Do connect a UPS though as I've ruined to modems and hard wire is better than wireless.

Regards Bojo

Please keep in mind that you'll need for each camera 2 ports to forward.

not always - I have been configuring IPcams that stream video and run the webserver on port 80 ( or what ever you config it to )

the one I have in my carport also has a java client so I can connect to it from the phone and pan/tilt.

And most still have rather poor, often Chinese made, CCD chips in them.

many are assembled in china from sony ccd's and video compression and SoC chips from Taiwan.

for a PAN/TILT , 1/3" sony CCD , webserver running on an arm chip , mpeg4 class 2 video compression, PoE and wifi also available - they will cost 120-150 USD in China.

getting it here without being stung by customs would be the tricky bit.

Crushdepth - how did your setting up of your openVPN server go ? need any help just ask

Edited by stumonster

The Vivotek has Iris adjustment so if I'm zooming outside in Samui sunlight you can adjust accordingly and a decent outdoor dome housing was offered at 7K installed but mine's mounted inside.

Regards Bojo