Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

did my jomtien bar crawl last night, it was dead out there! i noticed a very depressed mood in the bar workers/operators.

in negotiating prices some actually got downright nasty with me, something i never really experienced here before. i just paid

my bill and said som na na and left. ended up finding a nice friend though. i told her of my experience and she said "money down big

people crazy now, be careful walk soi nightime".

i am going to try to get over to soi walking tonight, hopefully its more upbeat

Try Beach rd, more choice and they'll go for less, perfect for the cheap charlies who take pleaseure in trying to pay the girl peanuts at the moment even though they are aware of how tight things are.

:)

I believe that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

:D

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 3 days this week in Pattaya and people were all enjoying the lack of detritus descending upon the fair city. But no one expects this pleasant period to last forever. Like it or not, the traffic and lack of parking and human scum will return. Enjoy it now!!

>>>I thought you wrote you were down with Pig Flu a few days ago? False alarm or got over it dam_n quick

Phil, i was sick as he ll, never got tested because i couldnt walk, yesterday feeling alot better, today good, heading out in a

few mins, i think soi walking

snarky i am not a troll, i am a hunter, name the bar and the time and i'll buy you a beer

Bali Tourist arrival figure UP 21.8% , Aussie Tourist figures up by 79% , Hotel Occupancy 82 - 91 %

Ah ! is there a message to TAT here ?

They are probably not the "Quality Tourists" required by the official guidelines, so these percentages are totally irrilevant :)

>>>I thought you wrote you were down with Pig Flu a few days ago? False alarm or got over it dam_n quick

Phil, i was sick as he ll, never got tested because i couldnt walk, yesterday feeling alot better, today good, heading out in a

snarky i am not a troll, i am a hunter, name the bar and the time and i'll buy you a beer

congratulations on the recovery. understand, i was surprised that you went from unable to walk to out on the horn in your next post.

with severe symptoms like that id have felt a need to find out <deleted> it was. you should give a first hand on what happened. theres been no first hand info from anyone whose experienced it that ive found. did you seek help?

Try Beach rd, more choice and they'll go for less, perfect for the cheap charlies who take pleaseure in trying to pay the girl peanuts at the moment even though they are aware of how tight things are.

:)

too late for that, the police have chased all the ladies off beach road, the last four nights theres only males on beach road and I doubt most are for rent, not exactly a great choice

Edited by rafval

congratulations on the recovery. understand, i was surprised that you went from unable to walk to out on the horn in your next post.

with severe symptoms like that id have felt a need to find out <deleted> it was. you should give a first hand on what happened. theres been no first hand info from anyone whose experienced it that ive found. did you seek help?

Look at my posts, i was sick for 5 days, when it struck i couldnt even think nevermind walk, whats ur problem?

If ur in Pattaya it'll eventually get you and you will know what i am talking about

<snip>

Edited by soundman

Bali Tourist arrival figure UP 21.8% , Aussie Tourist figures up by 79% , Hotel Occupancy 82 - 91 %

Ah ! is there a message to TAT here ?

They are probably not the "Quality Tourists" required by the official guidelines, so these percentages are totally irrilevant :)

I read.......sorry forgot source.......that Italians (all poor of course)........are flocking to Bali now. Another lesson?

Actually TAT and the Thai govt. in general, still think the downturn has to do with the airport closure and swine flu.......it is their new mantra and they can't get past it to see other factors........which means they will never be able to address it.

Social engineering based on income and race as an official tourism policy does not work.........it is as simple as that.

in negotiating prices some actually got downright nasty with me, something i never really experienced here before. i just paid

my bill and said som na na and left. ended up finding a nice friend though. i told her of my experience and she said "money down big

people crazy now, be careful walk soi nightime".

Or to view it another way, she did you a favor; when it starts out bad, it never gets better :)

I didnt come to Thailand or Pattaya this year, I just found everything too expensive, hotels, meals, flights,

The back side has fallen out of the TB, and I can get better value else where

I'm sad to say, Thailand isnt my first choice any more (even though I like the place)

It was my intention of retiring there in a year or so, but now I just couldnt afford to (I feel sorry for the blokes who have and get their pension from the UK, they must be on half what they originally got, a year or so ago)

I generally spend a grand out there (excluding hotels, flights), but I would have to take half as much again just to get the same as I got over a year ago

I guess I'm not the type of tourist they want over there and my money is no good

The political situation doest bother me, but the rules they have set up do

I cant see me visiting any time soon, unless things improve

Sri Lanka is a bargain this year, so thats where I'll be this year

I didnt come to Thailand or Pattaya this year, I just found everything too expensive, hotels, meals, flights,

I'm sad to say, Thailand isnt my first choice any more (even though I like the place)

It was my intention of retiring there in a year or so, but now I just couldnt afford to (I feel sorry for the blokes who have and get their pension from the UK, they must be on half what they originally got, a year or so ago)

I generally spend a grand out there (excluding hotels, flights), but I would have to take half as much again just to get the same as I got over a year ago

I guess I'm not the type of tourist they want over there and my money is no good

I read your post with real excitement.First of all the flights from Europe to Thailand have never been so cheap as they are these days so don't know why you complain about that.

Secondly how you know everything was so expensive this year if you didn't came here.Do they publish the restaurant and bar prices in the newspaper in England?

Oh I get it,you English still blame it on the Thais that your pound went in free fall don't you. :)

You almost sound American. :D

I read your post with real excitement.First of all the flights from Europe to Thailand have never been so cheap as they are these days so don't know why you complain about that.

Secondly how you know everything was so expensive this year if you didn't came here.Do they publish the restaurant and bar prices in the newspaper in England?

Oh I get it,you English still blame it on the Thais that your pound went in free fall don't you. :)

nope I aint a septic, I have been to Pattaya for the past 7 years, things have got more expensive each year, nothing really changed, its still Pattaya

I have friends over there that keep me updated on things over there, they would come back, but cant afford to live in the UK (I dont understand that either)

I dont know where you get your flights from, but they are a lot more than last time I flew to Thailand

I dont have any control over the bank rates, I just know I need more wedge than I would than last time, so I can take the same amount I took to Thailand and go to Sri Lanka, I think a lot of people are doing the same thing and not travelling to Thailand (It maybe because of the political situation, it maybe because of the prices, it maybe they just dont have the money to go there, it maybe because Thailand isnt as good value as it used to be)

AND the world is a big place, there are more places that offer better value

(I didnt open the thread about Pattaya being dead, I just added my comments why I wouldnt be in a rush to come back, nothing has convinced me to return, after reading these forums)

nope I aint a septic, I have been to Pattaya for the past 7 years, things have got more expensive each year, nothing really changed, its still Pattaya

I have friends over there that keep me updated on things over there, they would come back, but cant afford to live in the UK (I dont understand that either)

I dont know where you get your flights from, but they are a lot more than last time I flew to Thailand

I dont have any control over the bank rates, I just know I need more wedge than I would than last time, so I can take the same amount I took to Thailand and go to Sri Lanka, I think a lot of people are doing the same thing and not travelling to Thailand (It maybe because of the political situation, it maybe because of the prices, it maybe they just dont have the money to go there, it maybe because Thailand isnt as good value as it used to be)

(I didnt open the thread about Pattaya being dead, I just added my comments why I wouldnt be in a rush to come back, nothing has convinced me to return, after reading these forums)

I didn't try to put you in the spotlight as a sceptic or something similar but my point is that indeed prices have risen in Thailand but so has in the rest of the world.If you look at the prices in the supermarket in your home country and compare them with the prices let's say 6 to 12 months ago you will see a huge price rise.Never in the past it has risen that quickly.

Another point is that the British pound have fallen against ALL major currencies but for the reason for that you have to look at your own government,you can't blame Thailand for that.

I don't know about Sri Lanka but I assume that the prises have risen there also in the past year and that your currency will buy there also much less then a year ago.

Edited by basjke

I didn't try to put you in the spotlight as a sceptic I'ts SEPTIC as in Septic tank= A YANK or something similar but my point is that indeed prices have risen in Thailand but so has in the rest of the world.If you look at the prices in the supermarket in your home country and compare them with the prices let's say 6 to 12 months ago you will see a huge price rise.Never in the past it has risen that quickly.very true, but my wages havent, so I have to look for better value, Thailand cant deliver it for me

Another point is that the British pound have fallen against ALL major currencies but for the reason for that you have to look at your own government,you can't blame Thailand for that. I'm not blameing anyone, I just know my pound dont give me the amount I had a year or few years ago, so a meal costrs me more, it may cost a Thai or Ex pat the same, but I get paid in £

I don't know about Sri Lanka but I assume that the prises have risen there also in the past year and that your currency will buy there also much less then a year ago. I dont know, I have never been there, but the flight and accomadation are cheaper than I can get in Thailand (1600 quid for flights and accomadation and its all inclusive for 3 weeks, Thailand cant compete with that) I know excusions will be more, but I expect that

oh, I forgot to mention, I went to the Dominican Republic earlier in the year, that cost me £1200, again flights, accomadation, and all inclusive, 2 weeks, that is certainly better value than I could EVER get in Thailand

Now you try and convince me to return to Thailand when there are offers like that out there :)

If I am doing this, I would assume others are doing the same, everyone wants better value for their money, not just me

But all said and done, I still like Thailand and Pattaya and all its grotty little bars, the hookers, walking street, getting ripped off WITH A SMILE :D the short strip they call a beach, the bent coppers, the traffic, the smells, the poor quality hotels, If the TB was better I'd be back there in September (even my missus agrees with that, and she aint a Thai)

Thailand cant deliver at the present and the tourists are voting with their flip flops :D

I didn't try to put you in the spotlight as a sceptic I'ts SEPTIC as in Septic tank= A YANK or something similar but my point is that indeed prices have risen in Thailand but so has in the rest of the world.If you look at the prices in the supermarket in your home country and compare them with the prices let's say 6 to 12 months ago you will see a huge price rise.Never in the past it has risen that quickly.very true, but my wages havent, so I have to look for better value, Thailand cant deliver it for me

Another point is that the British pound have fallen against ALL major currencies but for the reason for that you have to look at your own government,you can't blame Thailand for that. I'm not blameing anyone, I just know my pound dont give me the amount I had a year or few years ago, so a meal costrs me more, it may cost a Thai or Ex pat the same, but I get paid in £

I don't know about Sri Lanka but I assume that the prises have risen there also in the past year and that your currency will buy there also much less then a year ago. I dont know, I have never been there, but the flight and accomadation are cheaper than I can get in Thailand (1600 quid for flights and accomadation and its all inclusive for 3 weeks, Thailand cant compete with that) I know excusions will be more, but I expect that

Sorry about the spelling mistake but I'm not an English native and my spell checker didn't notify me about a mistake so.

To return to your post,you admit you have never been to Sri Lanka yet you are comparing it to Thailand as having better value.You know you pound doesn't give you the same value as a year ago but so will it be in the rest of the world including Sri Lanka.

Yes you get cheaper flight and accommodation then in Thailand but so you will get for Turkey or Dominican Republic but once you have been there you will know the difference with Thailand.

oh, I forgot to mention, I went to the Dominican Republic earlier in the year, that cost me £1200, again flights, accomadation, and all inclusive, 2 weeks, that is certainly better value than I could EVER get in Thailand

Now you try and convince me to return to Thailand when there are offers like that out there :)

If I am doing this, I would assume others are doing the same, everyone wants better value for their money, not just me

But all said and done, I still like Thailand and Pattaya and all its grotty little bars, the hookers, walking street, getting ripped off WITH A SMILE :D the short strip they call a beach, the bent coppers, the traffic, the smells, the poor quality hotels, If the TB was better I'd be back there in September (even my missus agrees with that, and she aint a Thai)

Thailand cant deliver at the present and the tourists are voting with their flip flops :D

You mean that you were a well treated prisoner in your hotel for 2 weeks.

I wish a prison was like that, I'll do 5 years of that, PLEASE, I went into town did shopping, had a few beers, bought cigars, chatted with the locals (but unless you have tried all inclusive you wont get the idea0

We had our own private butler, private swimming pool, private beach area, bar services, own exclusive resturant (rather than a buffet) free room service, free drinks 24 hours a day, free evening entertainment

The Dominican Republic, Sri Lanka, AND Thailand are all third world countries, they all have diiferent cultures and attractions,

I couldnt compare Thailand to Sri Lanka yet,

I can only compare places I have been to,

I can compare Thailand and The Dominican, and they are worlds apart, but for value,The Dominican did deliver for me

The flight was cheaper, the accomadation was better and cheaper, all my food was included, Thailand doest do all inclisive

I spent a further $200 on excusions

This wasnt just for me, my wife was included

AND yes, I know this was probably cheaper a year or 2 ago

Edited by pepsi666

Pattaya is not dead! There are plenty of punters around spending money. The only difference is that tourism seems like it's down to 2006 levels, so all of the new expansion is suffering(thank god!). The core of pattaya is still going strong with lots of sex tourists feeding the economy. Pattaya will never die as long as the pros continue to sell their cheap services. All the other lures that the TOT tired to use to promote travel to Pattaya will certainly fail. What's keeping Pattaya alive is the same thing that brought the GI's here many years ago.

Believe it or not, there are other people living in Pattaya besides the British.

The back side hasn't fallen out of the Thai Baht, the back side fell out of the British Pound. The problem is that the British had it really good for too many years, and now that it has slipped they are crying about it.

I use US dollars, and they're still about where we were 3 years ago. Australian dollars are coming back strong again.

I see low patronage in English pubs around town these days. It's ok by me.

I wish a prison was like that, I'll do 5 years of that, PLEASE, I went into town did shopping, had a few beers, bought cigars, chatted with the locals (but unless you have tried all inclusive you wont get the idea0

We had our own private butler, private swimming pool, private beach area, bar services, own exclusive resturant (rather than a buffet) free room service, free drinks 24 hours a day, free evening entertainment

The Dominican Republic, Sri Lanka, AND Thailand are all third world countries, they all have diiferent cultures and attractions,

I can compare Thailand and The Dominican, and they are worlds apart, but for value,The Dominican did deliver for me

The flight was cheaper, the accomadation was better and cheaper, all my food was included, Thailand doest do all inclisive

4 years ago The GBP = 75 Thai Baht, now 56

4 years ago The GBP = 183 Sri Lanka Rupee, now 190

4 years ago The GBP = 54 Dominican Peso, now 59

2 years ago the Dominican Peso was even better at 64 and 1 year ago 68

Source http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

So you can see that 4 years ago the GBP was around it's high for the decade at 75 Baht. I've never got better than this. At one stage it had dropped about 35% from this high and now down about 26%.

In the same period the GBP is slightly up against the Sri Lanka Rupee and 10% higher against the Dominican Peso.

The Pound has not fallen against all currencies and from these exchange rates you can see that more value can be found in the 2 destinations that you have highlighted.

4 years ago The GBP = 75 Thai Baht, now 56

4 years ago The GBP = 183 Sri Lanka Rupee, now 190

4 years ago The GBP = 54 Dominican Peso, now 59

2 years ago the Dominican Peso was even better at 64 and 1 year ago 68

Source http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

So you can see that 4 years ago the GBP was around it's high for the decade at 75 Baht. I've never got better than this. At one stage it had dropped about 35% from this high and now down about 26%.

In the same period the GBP is slightly up against the Sri Lanka Rupee and 10% higher against the Dominican Peso.

The Pound has not fallen against all currencies and from these exchange rates you can see that more value can be found in the 2 destinations that you have highlighted.

Thanks for the information, and going by that, Thailand isnt such good value

I always took cash to Thailand, I always got a better rate at the booths, in the Dominican I took cash $ (I had them left over when I sold a property in the US) probably take cash£ to Sri Lanka and plastic

Dont know what your on about :D just had 3 mates arrive yesterday from OZ via emirates $700 return (around half price) happy hours IN bkk have now extended to 24 hours in many establishments. B/Gs if its your scene are half price. Strange post pepsi

Pattaya was always cheap. How much of discount do you want on 500bht room?

Edited by zorro1

If you are a fan of Pattaya then Sri Lanka has nothing on Thailand. Sri Lanka is beautiful in places and has some great sites, but it hasn't developed to pander to the same crowd that chooses Pattaya as their favorite Thailand destination.

It is worth a look however, I enjoyed the experience. I hope you like tea. :)