Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

And you Nurse why are you coming to Pattaya ? Facination for poor girls from Isaan probably

Actually I work in BPH, I am one of the workers who tries to prevent the spread on STD's, HIV etc.

Of course, there are so many Farangs who come to Thailand to engage sexually with diseased women or men, ( this I find incredible, with the education westerners have, they still risk their health ) it is a hard job. And I also come from Isaan. So do many staff at major hospitals, hey guess what, so do many of the Immigration Police come from Isaan, you know, the ones that stamp your passport as you come and go to Thailand.

fino, I suggest you go to a large city in Isaan, stand on a street corner and challenge anybody to beat your bank account balance, you would probably last 5 seconds before being humiliated.

Not all people from Isaan are poor, same as not all Farangs are fat.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be very busy Nurse , one of my neighbour a doctor working in BPH told me that 20%of the HIV test done in this Hospital were positive.

I have spend so much time in isaan (Korat and Buriram) that you never Had, and i agree with you people are not poor anymore (comparing to Cambodia) and i have seen the changes especialy during the thaksin era but they are still sending their childrens or their wife to Pattaya , not to feed their familly but just because they want to buy the lastest toyota pick up. That's Thailand.

However after many years in Pattaya i cannot underdstand why you came here with your family. May be you get fooled by the thai marketing promotting Pattaya for a "Familly ressort" but if you lived here you know that it is not. It is the "brothel of asia" and probably the #1 in the world.

And i never see anyone coming here for few time not having a taste of the girls , boys or ladyboys. I even see priest forget their faith. :) come on Nurse not even with a BPH nurse ? :D

It is late , i didn't read your post very well, but i suppose that you are a woman working in BPH. If it is the case forget the last sentence and excuse me.

But in this case what are you doing here in this forum ? Most of the post reffers to subjects that you should hate.

FINO

I didnt come to Pattaya to visit the brothels or visit any of the sex trade, I didnt come to get a Thai bride, I came for a holiday

NOT everyone that comes to Pattaya comes for a sex show, a beer bar, or a Thai bride, some visit because its different from home, they come to see the sights, and that includes walking street (do you know what it lkooks like to a kid aged 6, its all bright lights and girls, she thought it was great, the working girls just wanted to talk to her,) they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

You must have a very jaundiced view of Pattaya,

I've had plenty of great holidays there, and havent tasted the so called 'delights' of the brothels (its not compulsory you know)

@ tropo

Why do you think that any place in Cambodia want to compete or become Pattaya ? They even don't want it at any price. If you knew cambodian people a little , you will understand that they are not thinking like the thai ( I mean the one whe have in Pattaya not the Bangkok elite) They don't send their chirldren to the sex industry like it is a normal thing even the poor ones.

Of course you have a sex trade , but like everywhere in the world especialy in Asia.

When you speak about a certain type of expat you make me laugh, come on guy everbody knows that people who live in Pattaya only came here for the beach the sun and the thai culture :)

Do you Have a thai girl friend ? Do your friends have thai GF ?

Where do you (they) meet her (them) ?

Even if it is not in a bar , do she (they) come because you (they) are a handsome or very clever guy(s) ?

Open your mind and your eyes :D , they're is not only Pattaya in Asia and you have people who came to asia for a certain Asian way of life

Do you think that seven eleven, Huge shopping Malls , bank and condo on oversupply everywhere is real asia ?

You're asked me a ton of questions, so allow me to pick them off one by one:

1. "Why do you think that any place in Cambodia want to compete or become Pattaya ?"

A dumb question. This is the Pattaya forum and some people are using this thread to compare Pattaya with Cambodia....duh! Cambodia is being touted as an alternative, better place to live.

2. "When you speak about a certain type of expat you make me laugh, come on guy everbody knows that people who live in Pattaya only came here for the beach the sun and the thai culture :D "

You're actually spot on mate! I came here for better infrastructure and standard of living than where I used to live in the Philippines, and I saw the beach as definite plus. I asked my gf if she would like to move to Cambodia if we have visa problems in Thailand and she freaked out. Her face turned white from shock...(that's even with the Filipino TV channels in Cambodia). The only thing we didn't come for was the sun, because there's plenty of that in the Philippines.

3. "Do you Have a thai girl friend ? Do your friends have thai GF ?"

NO and Yes.

4. "Where do you (they) meet her (them) ? Even if it is not in a bar "do she (they) come because you (they) are a handsome or very clever guy(s) ? "

Yes, "she come" because I'm handsome in her eyes. It had nothing to do with money because she was already being supported by a younger guy when she developed a crush for me. This is why I've been with her for over 5 years, because it's a genuine relationship not based on money.

5. "Open your mind and your eyes :D , they're is not only Pattaya in Asia and you have people who came to asia for a certain Asian way of life"

My eyes are wide open. I'm aware of the availability of ladies throughout Asia. I've travelled all over. The only reason why certain expats prefer Cambodia is because they can get ladies cheaper there because the economy is worse than it is in Thailand. Open your eyes!

6. "Do you think that seven eleven, Huge shopping Malls , bank and condo on oversupply everywhere is real asia ?"

It's the 7Elevens, huge shopping malls, banks and condos (don't forget the great medical facilities and availability of medicine) in oversupply which makes Pattaya the place I prefer to live. I don't need real Asia. I spent years in the real Asia. It's time now to kick back in comfort.

And you Nurse why are you coming to Pattaya ? Facination for poor girls from Isaan probably

Of course, there are so many Farangs who come to Thailand to engage sexually with diseased women or men, ( this I find incredible, with the education westerners have, they still risk their health ) .......

fino, I suggest you go to a large city in Isaan, stand on a street corner and challenge anybody to beat your bank account balance, you would probably last 5 seconds before being humiliated.

People risk their health because the urge to reproduce is one of the strongest forces on the planet.

If you find someone with a larger bank balance, than it's probably because a farang who came here for "diseased women or men" help contributed to that account indirectly(lots of the money in isaan came from farang).

FINO

I didnt come to Pattaya to visit the brothels or visit any of the sex trade, I didnt come to get a Thai bride, I came for a holiday

NOT everyone that comes to Pattaya comes for a sex show, a beer bar, or a Thai bride, some visit because its different from home, they come to see the sights, and that includes walking street (do you know what it lkooks like to a kid aged 6, its all bright lights and girls, she thought it was great, the working girls just wanted to talk to her,) they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

I've had plenty of great holidays there, and havent tasted the so called 'delights' of the brothels (its not compulsory you know)

Didn't you move to China?

they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

Lots of the old farts could or have made it in their own country. It's just that they can't have sex with hundreds of girls in their homeland without going bankrupt or being ostracized.

FINO

Nope, I only went for a holiday, nice place, dont think I would want to live there though

IF I have lived Thailand it is only because of the Thai mental attitude. And only blind or brainless people can declare that they had no negative changes and that this place is still paradise .

I understand your point and will agree that Pattaya, IMO, has certainly gotten worse over the years. There's tons of negative changes, IMO, that I don't even want to sget started. Anyhow, Pattaya has still retained its core. So until that is gone. Pattaya is still Pattaya.

they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

Lots of the old farts could or have made it in their own country. It's just that they can't have sex with hundreds of girls in their homeland without going bankrupt or being ostracized.

Yes, thats correct, but one of the 'working ' girls told me something I have never forgotten, Love is fine, but money number 1, so I would assume, the older the bloke, the nearer the grave yard, and she is young enough to enjoy the rewards of staying with him

Just my view, and if its her view, I cant blame her :)

Some of the working (and I say SOME) get more money than a solicitor or hotel manager, not bad for 10 minutes of huffing and puffing :D

FINO

Nope, I only went for a holiday, nice place, dont think I would want to live there though

As much as I hate to say it, I'd choose Cambodia over China.

Edited by tropo

IF I have lived Thailand it is only because of the Thai mental attitude. And only blind or brainless people can declare that they had no negative changes and that this place is still paradise .

I understand your point and will agree that Pattaya, IMO, has certainly gotten worse over the years. There's tons of negative changes, IMO, that I don't even want to sget started. Anyhow, Pattaya has still retained its core. So until that is gone. Pattaya is still Pattaya.

Of course this would depend on your year of reference, but in 4 years I haven't noticed any negative changes at all. All changes have been for the better.

Of course this would depend on your year of reference, but in 4 years I haven't noticed any negative changes at all. All changes have been for the better.

We all have the right to believe what we want.........that is the beauty of freedom of thought and expression. Your belief system is telling you things are fine......"no negative changes at all."

I accept that is true for you. If we could dissect your belief system it might turn up some interesting things.....but I am too scared to go down that road. :)

That "joke" aside, it is clear that many resident tourists/expats do not share your view and long for the "old days" when life was less stressful:

no visa problems,

no traffic problems,

no crime problems (never considered it between 1986-2001),

no money problems (everything much less expensive in real terms),

no xenophobia (friendly Thais),

less people pollution,

not as hot (it actually did seem cooler in the past),

no worrying if a condo would be built in front of the one you just purchased, etc).

Looking at the world of resort towns, there seems to be a golden moment for each of them........and that moment is destroyed through over-development and people pollution.

I think that point was crossed in Pattaya-Jomtien between 1999-2003.

We all have the right to believe what we want.........that is the beauty of freedom of thought and expression. Your belief system is telling you things are fine......"no negative changes at all."

I accept that is true for you. If we could dissect your belief system it might turn up some interesting things.....but I am too scared to go down that road. :)

That "joke" aside, it is clear that many resident tourists/expats do not share your view and long for the "old days" when life was less stressful:

no visa problems,

no traffic problems,

no crime problems (never considered it between 1986-2001),

no money problems (everything much less expensive in real terms),

no xenophobia (friendly Thais),

less people pollution,

not as hot (it actually did seem cooler in the past),

no worrying if a condo would be built in front of the one you just purchased, etc).

Looking at the world of resort towns, there seems to be a golden moment for each of them........and that moment is destroyed through over-development and people pollution.

I think that point was crossed in Pattaya-Jomtien between 1999-2003.

I explained myself quite well in my post. Read it again.

This has nothing to do with belief. I live full time in Pattaya and there have been no negative changes to my enjoyment of life over the last 4 years. I cannot comment on any time before 2005.

Let's take them one at a time using 2005 as the first year for comparative changes.

1. "No visa problems."

I haven't had any visa problems. Some people do, but I don't.

2. No traffic problems.

I ride a motorcycle to get around traffic. I don't find the traffic situation any different to 4 years ago.

3. No crime problems.

The local news does not indicate crime is any worse than 4 years ago. The local media fixate on crime and exaggerate it to sell newspapers. I've never been a victim of any crime here.

4. No xenophobia

I never considered Thais to be real friendly even back in 2005. I haven't noticed any deterioration since then.

5. no worrying if a condo would be built in front of the one you just purchased).

I don't own a condo, nor do I have any intention of purchasing one.

As I said, there have been no negative changes to affect my lifestyle in Pattaya since I've been here.

I couldn't give a dam_n about prior to 2005 because I never experienced life here before then. What it was like before is totally irrelevant to me. I liked what I saw when I first came in 2005 and it hasn't changed much since then except for the better.

You're living in the past, that's your problem.

I took the family to Pattaya last October and I'm sure the vendors are worse than ever.

If we tried to have a nice family day on the beach, the constant pestering by the vendors really does destroy a good day. You politely say "No thankyou" or "Mai ow krap", but you really get sick of it 50 times an hour. Especially when you have told them you are not interested and then they focus on the 3 year old if they are selling something that appeals to children. Or they just stand there and keep on and on trying to sell to you.

I thought that vendors were not allowed on the beach, and the people in charge really should do something about it. You can't have an enjoyable day on the beach because of these people. I go on holiday to have a good time and don't want to be constantly annoyed and badgered by the vendors.

In many places around Pattaya, you are not even free from these people when trying to eat. Even when inside, lottery, dvd and trinket sellers are trying to sell you something. It's really annoying when trying to eat and keep getting things that you don't want shoved in your face.

Go out for a beer and guess what? After saying "Mai OW Krap" for the 100th time, you try to ignore them and keep your back to them. What is it nowadays with this POKING? Not a gentle prod with a finger, but a series of hard pokes, trying to get your attention, even though they are fully aware that you have noticed them, but are ignoring them.

Is this problem worse than it used to be or is it that my tolerance level has gone down?

The fact is that people go on holiday to let their hair down or relax. The vendors are just too much. Their tactics are obviously to be as annoying as possible so that in the end you will either buy something or give them some money to go away. With fewer punters there now it must be really intolerable.

I took the family to Pattaya last October and I'm sure the vendors are worse than ever.

If we tried to have a nice family day on the beach, the constant pestering by the vendors really does destroy a good day. You politely say "No thankyou" or "Mai ow krap", but you really get sick of it 50 times an hour. Especially when you have told them you are not interested and then they focus on the 3 year old if they are selling something that appeals to children. Or they just stand there and keep on and on trying to sell to you.

I thought that vendors were not allowed on the beach, and the people in charge really should do something about it. You can't have an enjoyable day on the beach because of these people. I go on holiday to have a good time and don't want to be constantly annoyed and badgered by the vendors.

In many places around Pattaya, you are not even free from these people when trying to eat. Even when inside, lottery, dvd and trinket sellers are trying to sell you something. It's really annoying when trying to eat and keep getting things that you don't want shoved in your face.

Go out for a beer and guess what? After saying "Mai OW Krap" for the 100th time, you try to ignore them and keep your back to them. What is it nowadays with this POKING? Not a gentle prod with a finger, but a series of hard pokes, trying to get your attention, even though they are fully aware that you have noticed them, but are ignoring them.

Is this problem worse than it used to be or is it that my tolerance level has gone down?

The fact is that people go on holiday to let their hair down or relax. The vendors are just too much. Their tactics are obviously to be as annoying as possible so that in the end you will either buy something or give them some money to go away. With fewer punters there now it must be really intolerable.

If you can't handle beach vendors bugging you, then Pattaya is just not your thing. I seriously doubt this is going to change.

Some people can handle it, some can't, but it's here to stay.

It's defnitely not just a Pattaya thing. Try tourist beaches in the Philippines...same, same. I've had vendors follow me for half and hour in Bali after I told them to ***off.

I've had vendors follow me for half and hour in Bali after I told them to ***off.

Kuta Beach in Bali is the absolute worst, but lots of tourists are going there right now because they are truly giving big discounts on plane fares, hotel charges and everything else.

The Thais could learn a lesson from that!

Edited by Ulysses G.

Your belief system is telling you things are fine......"no negative changes at all."

For him things are fine and that is good for him. He is lucky to believe this, and I am somewhat envious. I wish I could see things the same way.

The more you know about Pattaya and the longer you stay brings a sort of jaded edge to you.

What is fun initially and new and interesting becomes rather tawdry after a time for most people.

I think this is normal.

The essence of Pattaya really hasn't changed that much for years ie sleazy night time entertainment town

People evolve and their wants and needs change so you move on ....that is life

Everyone is at a different stage....newbies see things differently

For him things are fine and that is good for him. He is lucky to believe this, and I am somewhat envious. I wish I could see things the same way.

This has absolutely nothing to do with belief. It's a fact. No changes in Pattaya have affected my life negatively.

The guys whining and moaning about Pattaya deteriorating are living too far back in the past. Those guys need to find a new fishing village which tourists haven't yet discovered. I came to Pattaya for its development. I spent enough time in backward Asia (the real Asia as some have put it) before I arrived.

Life is good here and it's kind of annoying to have so many people whining about how bad it is becoming, when in fact it's getting better all the time. If you don't like it, find a new place to reside and a new forum to post in.

This has absolutely nothing to do with belief. It's a fact. No changes in Pattaya have affected my life negatively.

The guys whining and moaning about Pattaya deteriorating are living too far back in the past. Those guys need to find a new fishing village which tourists haven't yet discovered. I came to Pattaya for its development. I spent enough time in backward Asia (the real Asia as some have put it) before I arrived.

Life is good here and it's kind of annoying to have so many people whining about how bad it is becoming, when in fact it's getting better all the time. If you don't like it, find a new place to reside and a new forum to post in.

And it's kind of annoying to keep seeing these posts......"If you don't like it, find a new place to reside " or similar.

Many people are getting disillusioned with Pattaya and Thailand as a whole package. They are not whining and moaning, they are voicing their thoughts and opinions.

You can enjoy the lifestyle that you have because of the investment in infrastructure etc that is directly attributable to the people that came here before you.

If enough people leave and Pattaya does become a ghost town, all the things that you like about it will disappear.

Maybe I should have said, that you are lucky that you enjoy the changes happening to Pattaya. You seem pretty happy with the evolution, therefore your outlook is good. I see things very different, however, but I"m not gonna complain or rain on anybodies parade.

Have just arrived, and yes, the usual places along Beach and Second roads ( and the sois ) are very quiet. Many bars have no customers at 9 pm.

However Soi Buakaow seems to be booming.

Just curious about prices..........your perception of them. Does everything seem more expensive.......a lot more expensive.....than just two years ago?

Not Pattaya, but I walking inside the Conrad Hotel complex a few days ago in Bangkok........roaming around and found TOPs. I really did not want anything but walked around and noticed that the prices seemed extremely high (98 baht for Doritos; 300 baht for a small hunk of cheese, etc).

And my hotel, not Conrad Hotel, was not offering any discount. My guess is that the hotels in Pattaya-Jomtien still have not reduced prices.

I think the owners are really taking a big gamble by not discounting prices now..........they are assuming their present losses will not matter after they "big money" comes in in the high season. But I think the high season will be similar to a normal low season.

After that, they will really be screwed........big reality check coming.

Even if I could afford it, and I can, I would not stay at any hotel in Pattaya-Jomtien that has raised it price two to three fold over the past 3 years.......just a matter of principle.

No, for me prices have not increased at all.

My hotel gives discount for long stay- stay 4 days pay 3 or stay 7 days pay 5.

I eat at cheap places like Kiss, and their prices have not increased much.

Baht bus still 10 baht.

Bus to Bangkok 110 baht.

I don't know if booze has increased, as don't drink, but soft drinks still 10-15 baht.

Reason to stay in Pattaya- still same price for many years.

What does make things more expensive is the exchange rate. However, it is moving in the right direction now.

If you can't handle beach vendors bugging you, then Pattaya is just not your thing. I seriously doubt this is going to change.

Some people can handle it, some can't, but it's here to stay.

It's defnitely not just a Pattaya thing. Try tourist beaches in the Philippines...same, same. I've had vendors follow me for half and hour in Bali after I told them to ***off.

The Pattaya vendors are nothing on the ba****s in Sri Lanka!

Spot on post mate.Pattaya is getting betetr and better,and it coincides with less farangs coming on their 2 week binge.

After 3 weeks in Paris , I am coming Back to Pattaya for 3 days before leaving to Cambodia. Is Pattaya still a ghost town at night ?

And what about the summer sales , the one in Walking street ? :)

And it's kind of annoying to keep seeing these posts......"If you don't like it, find a new place to reside " or similar.

Many people are getting disillusioned with Pattaya and Thailand as a whole package. They are not whining and moaning, they are voicing their thoughts and opinions.

Seems like TV readers/posters fall in to three categories:

1) Lurkers who read but never post

2) Thailand is perfect

3) Thailand is terrible

Of course Thailand is not terible but anyone daring enough to make a critical comment will get blasted by the folks in Group 2. Actually the Group 2 folks need the Group 3 people. Case in point, try watching a "Good News" only show, such as "Tom helped Mary cross the street and Mary said, Thanks, you're so nice!" Do you think anyone is going to continue watching that? But if The Bad News channel reports "Tom attacked Mary while she was crossing the street" most people can't get enough of that. Disagree? Then why doesn't the media only feature Good/Sweet stories? Because bad news sells :)

If all posters made comments in the vein of "Thailand is perfect" "The Thais are the kindest people on earth" or "Now that I eat Thai food I've lost 40 pounds and my doctor says I'll live to be 110" what would the Group 2 folks have to compain about? Would they then engage in topping the last nice comment with "I eat Thai food and I'll live to be 120, sure!"

Aw, who cares anyway. I'm goin over to Group 2 myself and the first guy I'm deporting is gonna be Loong becase he said a bad word ad dared to disagree :D (Kidding Loong)

Edited by Lancelot