Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

FINO

I didnt come to Pattaya to visit the brothels or visit any of the sex trade, I didnt come to get a Thai bride, I came for a holiday

NOT everyone that comes to Pattaya comes for a sex show, a beer bar, or a Thai bride, some visit because its different from home, they come to see the sights, and that includes walking street (do you know what it lkooks like to a kid aged 6, its all bright lights and girls, she thought it was great, the working girls just wanted to talk to her,) they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

You must have a very jaundiced view of Pattaya,

I've had plenty of great holidays there, and havent tasted the so called 'delights' of the brothels (its not compulsory you know)

There we go again, one eyed view of men looking for Thai ladies, but of course you have discussed their motives with all western men with nice Thai wives, no doubt.

Well, news for you; some of us DON"T WANT domineering, judgemental, unfeminine western women that we meet at "home". Some of us want to meet feminine ladies that don't think men are just for working to provide house and nice car for them to take in the divorce. Some of us want to meet ladies that don't think sex is a dirty word.

( Before you put me down for my viewpoint, I work in a female dominated occupation and have many female friends, I just wouldn't want to marry any of them ).

Please give direction to brothels, as you are so knowledgeable in all things to do with Pattaya. I have yet to see one.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. "Do you think that seven eleven, Huge shopping Malls , bank and condo on oversupply everywhere is real asia ?"

It's the 7Elevens, huge shopping malls, banks and condos (don't forget the great medical facilities and availability of medicine) in oversupply which makes Pattaya the place I prefer to live. I don't need real Asia. I spent years in the real Asia. It's time now to kick back in comfort.

I understand your point of wiew tropo, and if you lived in the Philippines you really know what is a 3rd World Country. But as I stated earlier only Newbees and old peoples likes pattaya as a place to live.

( I had many friends who are over 60 even if I am still under 50 , it is not a pejorative comment) . Obviously You are in this category. But peoples who don't need their perfusion can move elswhere where the fields are greaner ( even if it is sometimes dirty) :)

Seems like TV readers/posters fall in to three categories:

1) Lurkers who read but never post

2) Thailand is perfect

3) Thailand is terrible

Are you joking?

You missed

4) There is no paradise on earth. Thailand is on earth. There are some good and some bad points about the country, like any other country on earth.

Seems like TV readers/posters fall in to three categories:

1) Lurkers who read but never post

2) Thailand is perfect

3) Thailand is terrible

Are you joking?

You missed

4) There is no paradise on earth. Thailand is on earth. There are some good and some bad points about the country, like any other country on earth.

Tounge in cheek observation. Any one in your new Group 4 that makes even a mildly critial comment will be duly flamed, then assigned to Group 3 :)

FINO

I didnt come to Pattaya to visit the brothels or visit any of the sex trade, I didnt come to get a Thai bride, I came for a holiday

NOT everyone that comes to Pattaya comes for a sex show, a beer bar, or a Thai bride, some visit because its different from home, they come to see the sights, and that includes walking street (do you know what it lkooks like to a kid aged 6, its all bright lights and girls, she thought it was great, the working girls just wanted to talk to her,) they are human and not just 'meat' for old farts who couldnt make it in their own country

I've had plenty of great holidays there, and havent tasted the so called 'delights' of the brothels (its not compulsory you know)

There we go again, one eyed view of men looking for Thai ladies, but of course you have discussed their motives with all western men with nice Thai wives, no doubt.

Well, news for you; some of us DON"T WANT domineering, judgemental, unfeminine western women that we meet at "home". Some of us want to meet feminine ladies that don't think men are just for working to provide house and nice car for them to take in the divorce. Some of us want to meet ladies that don't think sex is a dirty word.

( Before you put me down for my viewpoint, I work in a female dominated occupation and have many female friends, I just wouldn't want to marry any of them ).

Please give direction to brothels, as you are so knowledgeable in all things to do with Pattaya. I have yet to see one.

You know, there are a few posts here that I want to reply to, but seeing this I forgot about the others.........................

"Please give direction to brothels, as you are so knowledgeable in all things to do with Pattaya. I have yet to see one."

You have GOT to be joking.

And you Nurse why are you coming to Pattaya ? Facination for poor girls from Isaan probably

Actually I work in BPH, I am one of the workers who tries to prevent the spread on STD's, HIV etc.

Of course, there are so many Farangs who come to Thailand to engage sexually with diseased women or men, ( this I find incredible, with the education westerners have, they still risk their health ) it is a hard job. And I also come from Isaan. So do many staff at major hospitals, hey guess what, so do many of the Immigration Police come from Isaan, you know, the ones that stamp your passport as you come and go to Thailand.

fino, I suggest you go to a large city in Isaan, stand on a street corner and challenge anybody to beat your bank account balance, you would probably last 5 seconds before being humiliated.

Not all people from Isaan are poor, same as not all Farangs are fat.

The question that SHOULD be asked, is why so many western men come to SEA for female "company". It surely indicates a serious disfunction in western society that such a huge number of men pay so much just to experience a few encounters with women in a foreign land.

Perhaps western governments should be encouraging properly regulated prostitution in their own countries, rather than criminalizing men who wish to follow the perfectly natural urge for sex, without having to go through the process of either courting and marrying, with all the obvious disadvantages in present western society, or having to go to a bar and spend large amounts of cash buying drinks in the attempt to get some woman to have sex with him ( with no guarantees ).

Incidentally, a large proportion of western men with Thai girls in Pattaya are young and quite good looking. In a normal society, they wouldn't have any trouble getting a GF in their own country, so where has it all gone wrong?

I've had vendors follow me for half and hour in Bali after I told them to ***off.

Kuta Beach in Bali is the absolute worst, but lots of tourists are going there right now because they are truly giving big discounts on plane fares, hotel charges and everything else.

The Thais could learn a lesson from that!

I was just thinking of setting up a new venture.....

I'll breed some 50* nasty dogs and rent them out per day. Bht 200/day post-13995-1246020875.jpg

Guaranteed not a single vendor will bother you!

And.......they will never try and rest in your -paid-for- shade.... :D

* if it's a success I'll have 100 dogs in 3 months ! I might as well expand the business all over SE Asia... :)

LaoPo

FINO

You know, there are a few posts here that I want to reply to, but seeing this I forgot about the others.........................

"Please give direction to brothels, as you are so knowledgeable in all things to do with Pattaya. I have yet to see one."

You have GOT to be joking.

No.

A brothel is an establishment where the girls are lined up in front of the customer and he picks one to have sex with. There is no conversation prior to selection, and the girl has no "right of refusal".

Even in the goldfish massage parlours, there is a right of refusal to have sex on the part of the masseuse ( at least in the ones I've been in ).

But you knew that, didn't you!

The question that SHOULD be asked, is why so many western men come to SEA for female "company". It surely indicates a serious disfunction in western society that such a huge number of men pay so much just to experience a few encounters with women in a foreign land.

Perhaps western governments should be encouraging properly regulated prostitution in their own countries, rather than criminalizing men who wish to follow the perfectly natural urge for sex, without having to go through the process of either courting and marrying, with all the obvious disadvantages in present western society, or having to go to a bar and spend large amounts of cash buying drinks in the attempt to get some woman to have sex with him ( with no guarantees ).

Incidentally, a large proportion of western men with Thai girls in Pattaya are young and quite good looking. In a normal society, they wouldn't have any trouble getting a GF in their own country, so where has it all gone wrong?

It's quite simple (I'm serious). It all started in the mid 60's with Women's Lib/Feminist movement.

Many men can't handle very strong and independent women and tend to opt for "old fashioned" women/girls who are raised in the same old fashioned kind of families where respect -especially for parents and grandparents- is still a high value, contrary to many families in western societies.

Of course, being poor (East) and wealth (West) is another factor.

Next to that, attractiveness of the Eastern female/male plays another role. But funny enough that same attractiveness (of the farang) is there in their eyes. They adore the whiter skinned farang who's attractive in their eyes, the same as the Easterner is attractive in many western eyes.

LaoPo

It's quite simple (I'm serious). It all started in the mid 60's with Women's Lib/Feminist movement.

Many men can't handle very strong and independent women and tend to opt for "old fashioned" women/girls who are raised in the same old fashioned kind of families where respect -especially for parents and grandparents- is still a high value, contrary to many families in western societies.

LaoPo

Nailed it! Women who understand that men are the dominant role in life/society are more attractive than women who think they are better than men.

FINO

better ask Fino or some other poster in here, bout the brothels, I've never looked or needed one

Just look at most of the Ads in TV, they are for Thai Brides or girl friends, eve34n over here in the UK, there are Ads for Thai Brides and Thai girl friends, I would say that they are pandering to the market

I cant speak for other blokes wives, but my wife isnt domineering, she is definately feminine, and not judgemental (if she was we would never have been to Thailand or Pattya) and she dont think sex is a dirty word either

I DO know of 3 blokes who married Thai girls, they bought them back to the UK, the marriage's never lasted and they lost an awful lot from the expeirience, but I'm not saying all Thai/Brit marriges end that way, I daresay most are happy relationships and only the bad ones end up in the news

After 3 weeks in Paris , I am coming Back to Pattaya for 3 days before leaving to Cambodia. Is Pattaya still a ghost town at night ?

And what about the summer sales , the one in Walking street ? :)

You must be kidding. When was Pattaya a ghost town at night? I missed that night.

And it's kind of annoying to keep seeing these posts......"If you don't like it, find a new place to reside " or similar.

Many people are getting disillusioned with Pattaya and Thailand as a whole package. They are not whining and moaning, they are voicing their thoughts and opinions.

You can enjoy the lifestyle that you have because of the investment in infrastructure etc that is directly attributable to the people that came here before you.

If enough people leave and Pattaya does become a ghost town, all the things that you like about it will disappear.

OK then, I'll rephrase it.

All visitors to Thailand (expats and tourists alike) are world travellers and have choices. No one is forcing them to live anywhere......so...

It's gets kind of annoying to hear people whinging and whining about Pattaya yet still choose to live there.

(This reminds me of all the British immigrants living in Australia and New Zealand who continually complain about how bad it is over there. I know complaining is their national pastime, but it does get very old)

I have a policy. If I don't like a place I move on. I wish others would see it that way.

No.

A brothel is an establishment where the girls are lined up in front of the customer and he picks one to have sex with. There is no conversation prior to selection, and the girl has no "right of refusal".

Even in the goldfish massage parlours, there is a right of refusal to have sex on the part of the masseuse ( at least in the ones I've been in ).

I suggest you look up the word in a dictionary, or if you have already, some different dictionaries.

A brothel is an establishment where sex for money is available, simple as that.

And it's kind of annoying to keep seeing these posts......"If you don't like it, find a new place to reside " or similar.

Many people are getting disillusioned with Pattaya and Thailand as a whole package. They are not whining and moaning, they are voicing their thoughts and opinions.

You can enjoy the lifestyle that you have because of the investment in infrastructure etc that is directly attributable to the people that came here before you.

If enough people leave and Pattaya does become a ghost town, all the things that you like about it will disappear.

OK then, I'll rephrase it.

All visitors to Thailand (expats and tourists alike) are world travellers and have choices. No one is forcing them to live anywhere......so...

It's gets kind of annoying to hear people whinging and whining about Pattaya yet still choose to live there.

(This reminds me of all the British immigrants living in Australia and New Zealand who continually complain about how bad it is over there. I know complaining is their national pastime, but it does get very old)

I have a policy. If I don't like a place I move on. I wish others would see it that way.

Once again...........that is part of your belief system........"don't like it, move on."

Other people do not have that belief system.........maybe they think, "don't like it, take positive steps to change it."

You think pointing out a problem is "complaining." Again, that is your belief system about complaining.

To me, pointing out a problem is a positive thing because the first step to positive change is recognizing that a problem exists (my belief system).

People on ThaiVisa have different belief systems.......if you understand that you can understand why they say what they do and get upset about various things, etc.

Pointing out the same thing - over and over again - everyday -with no changes what-so-ever - is NOT a positive thing.

It is time to put your money where your mouth is. It is time leave town boys! :)

It is so boring to hear the same comment day after day from the Love Thailand or Leave it Crowd: "If you don't like it, leave."

Way too many people resort to that worn out mantra.

To solve a problem, you must first recognize the nature of it.

That is why discussions take place about things like Pattaya being Dead.

The OP assumes it is dead by using that introduction to the topic. Some of us agree........some don't.

Some of us want to understand why it is dead and what steps need to take place to correct the problem.

Some of us have put forth positive suggestions that would breathe life into the city.

Others choose to not even recognize a problem exists that is in need of change.

Still others choose to insult any person that does not share their viewpoint that a problem exits that is in need of a change.

And others try their hand at censorship by telling posters they don't agree with the leave.

All of this sort of reminds me of a story about two American soldiers that came ashore at Normandy after the invasion, each walking alone down a dirt road in rural France:

A German soldier comes up to the first one and convinces him that nothing is wrong.........no problem........no need to get angry.......no need to fight.......war is already over.......everything you have heard is a lie........so the American solider smiles and puts down his weapon and walks away. And then, he is taken prisoner.......

The second American solider walks down the road and out comes the German guy again.......goes through the same speech, but this time the American soldier points his weapon at the German soldier and shoots him and avoids prison.

Believe what you want.........but remember that what you believe is important and has consequences. :D

Some of us want to understand why it is dead and what steps need to take place to correct the problem.

Search no more. The great Guru, Ulysses G., will provide you with the definitive abswer that you seek: It is the world economy. When that improves, Pattaya and Thailand will have more than enough tourists and no amount of whining and complaining will change that. :)

:D

Search no more. The great Guru, Ulysses G., will provide you with the definitive abswer that you seek: It is the world economy. When that improves, Pattaya and Thailand will have more than enough tourists and no amount of whining and complaining will change that. :)

:D

You did it again.........the "whining and complaining" thing. Many people have complained to get people focused on the problem......their intent is positive.......that is not whining.

If you go to your bookshelf and pull out a dictionary, you will notice that the two words have different meanings.......one is productive (sometimes) and the other is rarely productive.

Having said that, you are correct to point out that the global economy is a major factor........but other tourists sites are not being hit as hard as Pattaya-Jomtien (e.g., Bali).......there are reasons for that.

Having said that, you are correct to point out that the global economy is a major factor........but other tourists sites are not being hit as hard as Pattaya-Jomtien (e.g., Bali).......there are reasons for that.

Yes, they are lowering their prices instead of raising them. TIT! :)

Once again...........that is part of your belief system........"don't like it, move on."

Other people do not have that belief system.........maybe they think, "don't like it, take positive steps to change it."

You think pointing out a problem is "complaining." Again, that is your belief system about complaining.

To me, pointing out a problem is a positive thing because the first step to positive change is recognizing that a problem exists (my belief system).

People on ThaiVisa have different belief systems.......if you understand that you can understand why they say what they do and get upset about various things, etc.

Excessive complaining about Pattaya when those people live elsewhere is bad form and very annoying.

We don't like it!

Excessive complaining about Pattaya when those people live elsewhere is bad form and very annoying.

We don't like it!

Talk to Ulysses G.........he just said prices are rising in Pattaya......a clear negative comment designed to make fun of the way Thais think.

I lived in Pattaya for a very long time........not going to say how often I visit now.........not going to say how many friends I have there........you will no doubt come back and state "never lived there," "never visits," "no friends."

I don't care what you like or don't like. Some people have recognized that a major problem exists (virtually every person I know that lives in Pattaya now thinks like I do), and some people really want to see the city get better.

But what is "better." For you, I suppose the current situation is better. Others do not agree with you.

This thread is not about me or what has happened to me or what my current situation is, etc., and it is not about you or what has happened to you or what your current situation is.......it is about whether or not Pattaya is Dead.

The topic is larger than both of us put together.

If the answer is it is alive and kicking..........there is nothing to say but that.

If the answer is that it is dead or in critical condition........there is a lot to discuss, especially in terms of what to do about it.

There is also an ignore function that you can use to disregard the views of people that upset you.

I have four people on my ignore list (you are not one of them and neither is Ulysses G).

Talk to Ulysses G.........he just said prices are rising in Pattaya......a clear negative comment designed to make fun of the way Thais think.

I lived in Pattaya for a very long time........not going to say how often I visit now.........not going to say how many friends I have there........you will no doubt come back and state "never lived there," "never visits," "no friends."

I don't care what you like or don't like. Some people have recognized that a major problem exists (virtually every person I know that lives in Pattaya now thinks like I do), and some people really want to see the city get better.

But what is "better." For you, I suppose the current situation is better. Others do not agree with you.

This thread is not about me or what has happened to me or what my current situation is, etc., and it is not about you or what has happened to you or what your current situation is.......it is about whether or not Pattaya is Dead.

If the answer is it is alive and kicking..........there is nothing to say but that.

If the answer is that it is dead or in critical condition........there is a lot to discuss, especially in terms of what to do about it.

There is also an ignore function that you can use to disregard the views of people that upset you.

I have four people on my ignore list (you are not one of them and neither is Ulysses G).

Your ranting is way over the top.

The world wide economic meltdown and the bullet proof baht are the reasons why Pattaya is a bit quiet these days. For me that's an improvement in my lifestyle as I've never been fond of the high season. A permanent low season perhaps...Yipee!

The cost of living has remained about the same for me over the last 3 years. My rent went down and the restaurants I frequent have hardly raised their prices in that time.

Life in Pattaya is good. Enjoy Cambodia and rest assured I won't be joining you.

Edited by tropo

Hmmm tis low season, so what does one expect??? Any rate - the world economy has made it a bit slower than normal and a sh*te high season - however that is just not Patters, but all of thailand and most destinations around the world. Most people are not traveling. :)

Hmmm tis low season, so what does one expect??? Any rate - the world economy has made it a bit slower than normal and a sh*te high season - however that is just not Patters, but all of thailand and most destinations around the world. Most people are not traveling. :)

True. Love it or hate it, Pattaya is becomming a name brand and it ain't dying anytime soon :D

Well, to answer the OP, I've been here a week and Pattaya is far from dead.

Yes, it's quiet, but that's always the case in low season. Perhaps there are less people than usual, or maybe it's just that there are too many alternatives available now, so customers are spread thinner. I'm sure there were only about 50% of the present number of bars in the mid 90s, so the same number of punters as now would appear to be more.

The places doing really badly are the new expensive places that have gone up in the past 5 or so years.

Most of the cheaper places are doing OK. When I arrived, I couldn't get a room on the first 2 floors of my hotel, as they were all full.

Soi Buakaow seemed really busy.

Walking Street is just as busy as back in April.

Your ranting is way over the top.

The world wide economic meltdown and the bullet proof baht are the reasons why Pattaya is a bit quiet these days. For me that's an improvement in my lifestyle as I've never been fond of the high season. A permanent low season perhaps...Yipee!

The cost of living has remained about the same for me over the last 3 years. My rent went down and the restaurants I frequent have hardly raised their prices in that time.

Life in Pattaya is good. Enjoy Cambodia and rest assured I won't be joining you.

I guess you just can't help yourself..........."ranting" and "way over the top."

I am looking and thinking about changes that have taken place since 1986, not since 2006.

It is a long term perspective on development........I don't like what has happened (parts I do like but most of the development seems to have been poorly conceived and implemented).

Sure, having lived in Pattaya for several years, I know what it was like during the low season..........used to be great for the resident tourists......finally a bit of peace and quiet.

But this time around it is really hurting Thais.......jobs are being lost.

I am shocked your rent went down. Most Thais do not lower rents for any reason. That is good news. Maybe the hotels will follow suit (assuming you live in a condo).

Why do you keep giving people the impression I am going to live in Cambodia?

I have thought about it........but so have lots of other expats that think Thailand is going downhill fast.

I have also thought about Malaysia and Vietnam and the Philippines as alternatives to Thailand-Titanic.

At the moment, my job dictates where I live.......maybe Sudan tomorrow or Afghanistan or Kenya or Indonesia or Samoa or some place in the Middle East.

I never know where I will be sent until the last moment.

Sometimes I wish I could park myself on a bar stool in Pattaya and forget about the problems of the world.......for now I can't and not sure how long I could do that even if I could.

I think I would eventually find it to be a totally empty and meaningless form of living.

Still.......might be fun trying :)

No.

I suggest you look up the word in a dictionary, or if you have already, some different dictionaries.

A brothel is an establishment where sex for money is available, simple as that.

I'm not sure what side of the arguement you're on there, but your reply supports my supposition that there are no ( visible ) brothels in Pattaya. As you say, a brothel is for sex, and that is all that's available there, but bars and massage parlours have other purposes. Although some punters may go to them with the intention of obtaining sex, others may not. ergo, bars/ massage parlours are not brothels.

FINO

better ask Fino or some other poster in here, bout the brothels, I've never looked or needed one

Just look at most of the Ads in TV, they are for Thai Brides or girl friends, eve34n over here in the UK, there are Ads for Thai Brides and Thai girl friends, I would say that they are pandering to the market

I cant speak for other blokes wives, but my wife isnt domineering, she is definately feminine, and not judgemental (if she was we would never have been to Thailand or Pattya) and she dont think sex is a dirty word either

I DO know of 3 blokes who married Thai girls, they bought them back to the UK, the marriage's never lasted and they lost an awful lot from the expeirience, but I'm not saying all Thai/Brit marriges end that way, I daresay most are happy relationships and only the bad ones end up in the news

Well, you must be one of the fortunate ones. Considering the western divorce rate is around the 50% rate, most are not so lucky.

Just about everyone I know is divorced, including myself ( lost everything to the greedy bi-ch ) and my family.

Re the guys bringing Thai wives to the UK, the problem is that they bring them out of their own environment, to where they become infected with western PC ideas and that leads to the usual problems in the relationship, which is no longer as in Thailand.

As I said, I work with western women, so don't have a problem with them as people, but would never marry one again.

My Thai GF is the most feminine woman I ever met, but is no doormat. She has had a tough life, and is stronger than most people I know, but is still a lovely person.

You might think that all us men looking for Thai wives are just old farts who can't make it in our own country, but try and realise we are all people just trying to find some happiness in life.