Just Witnessed Car Crash No One Stopping To Help

sanook2me

If Thais believe they will have to pay if they stop, then that will affect their proclivity to stop and help. It has nothing to do with they would actually have to pay, but merely the perception that they would have to pay which would affect their actions.

It seemed clear that the person who presented this theory believes that it is not just their perception but an actual risk. As though the cop will show up at the scene of the accident and immediately arrest the person who is not hurt, whose car is not damaged, and call it a day, as if there is no science to determining the cause of an accident.

John this is a commonly held belief here. I have heard it countless times from several independent sources during my 12 year stay. As to the remark

...as if there is no science to determining the cause of an accident.
unfortunately whilst the science most certainly exists, most of the scientists are not working for the police, and those that are, are probably over worked as it is.

Three years ago I would have thought it unconscionable NOT to stop and help a motorist involved in an accident.

Happily, I've outgrown that silly notion and just last month, drove past a motorclyle accident without a second thought.

There's no way I'm going to stop and help.

"Do you know WHY most Thais wouldn't bother to stop and help regardless of any accidents sometimes? They ARE afraid that things will get turned around and they are the one who will get the blame who caused the accident."

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on Thai Visa.

Obviously you're a new member.

This is actually SOP in countries where the police are easily bought. There are no innocent by-standers, concerned citizens or good Samaritans -- only suspicious behavior (why would you be there if it didn't involve you?). Especially so for rich foreigners (defined as: any farang) in Thailand. There was a post a few months ago about an accident in a parking lot where the driver blamed the farang who was present, even though they were on the other side of the lot.

I was talking with a Thai woman yesterday, and while trying to make a point, I used helping victims of a car accident as an example. I was interupted and told, quite frankly, that she would never help out an accident victim as she would be too scared, and she would be afraid the vctims would die.

Doesn't want a 'ghost on her back' presumably. This is probably another big reason here aside from the concern about innocent bystanders somehow being attributed with blame, which I'd also agree is an issue from what I understand.

PS. The Tony S is now coming out to play again hey big jon?

Hehe, well spotted. I wasn't going to say anything because I think he can be moderately funny. Gotta appreciate the "theme" of usernames as well.

:)

not to be out done here, i managed to get blamed for a motorbike accident when i was in my house, watching TV....

it was about midnight and there is this god almighty bang outside, me and me dad - who was visiting - went out to look and there is this motor bike driver sitting at the house to the left opposite the road... he'd been driving drunk and smashed into the neighbors klong jar and put a nasty gash into his leg and was bleeding everywhere...

we went to go see if he was ok - dad didn't know any better - and we asked if he was ok - he was soo drunk could hardly talk, announced he was off to see his "fehn" and got on his bike and tried to kick start it... blood just went everywhere - well nasty - then a guard was on his way home on his bike took one look and we told him what happend so he went to get the motorbike taxis. the motorbike taxis arrived looked at what was going on, heard the story and dissapeared, 1 to get the guy's missus and the others to get a taxi...

taxi arrives with missus and my dad - again the kind one - knows that often hospitals won't treat unless you can proove that you can pay (it used to be the case anyway) and asks if they have enough money to cover it, she says no cause he goes out drinking all the time, so dad gave her 3000 baht.

The next day we don't hear anything, but the day after our neighbor - who must have seen us unlocking the gate to get out - comes with the bloke's missus to acuse us of causing the accident. Dumb bastards...

"Do you know WHY most Thais wouldn't bother to stop and help regardless of any accidents sometimes? They ARE afraid that things will get turned around and they are the one who will get the blame who caused the accident."

My experience:

I was driving along the Sukhumvit Road when a motorcycle, about 50mtrs ahead of me, hit a hole in the road and the rider took a tumble.

I stopped my car immediately behind the bike and rider, to prevent him from getting run over by other traffic.

He wasn't seriously injured but had lost some skin from his arms and legs, so I helped him to the side of the road and ran back to my car to get a bottle of water to wash his wounds.

When I returned there was a small crowd around the injured boy and several of them were pointing at me and shouting angrily - obviously assuming I had knocked the boy off his motorcycle (I have to admit that it did look bad - injured boy, bike on it's side, my car immediately behind the bike).

Luckily, the boy was able to explain that I had not caused the accident. I don't like to think about what would have happened if the boy had been unconcious (or worse).

So, not at all stupid to imagine that things could turn against you if you stopped to help.

In the EU refusing to help is a punishable offence.

To refuse to help, a request for help would be needed, no. :)

NO, you have to help without a request, otherwise you commit a criminal offence

in the EU that is.

in the EU that is.

That's horseshit, you don't have to do a thing.

in the EU that is.

That's horseshit, you don't have to do a thing.

...mhm...!

I might have this completely wrong here but I seem to remember from when I used to live in the UK that even members of the medical profession were warned that if they assisted at an accident when they were off duty (and therefore not covered by industrial insurance) then they were liable if the patient sued for any reason. For instance anyone with a neck injury shouldnt be moved until a collar is put in place, if this is done and the person is left paralised then..........

As for here in Thailand the advice is correct....never stop or its your fault as soon as they see its a ferang.

HL :)

These Siamese are a selfish lot - I witnessed an ambulance trying to get through traffic lights yesterday very near the hospital, no one got out the way - they had to wait just like all the other cars.

In 1981 back in England, it was 7.30am and I was travelling to work on my motorbike when suddenly an old man on a pushbike pulled out in front of me. I braked but the bike slid on black ice, went over, I was thrown onto the middle of the road and the bike landed on top of me. I was pinned down under it in great pain and distress.

The old man just went off on his merry way and ignored me, cars drove around the bike and I that was just a heap on the road, and one bastard even hit my back wheel in his rush to get past. I was left there for 7 minutes before a Good Samaritan in a pick up stopped, put my motorbike on his truck and took me to hospital. No one bothered to call an ambulance.

I was laid up for 6 months with broken ribs and multiple fractures on arms and legs, smashed up pretty bad.

This was in England, so this sort of attitude is definitely not exclusive to Thailand.

I might have this completely wrong here but I seem to remember from when I used to live in the UK that even members of the medical profession were warned that if they assisted at an accident when they were off duty (and therefore not covered by industrial insurance) then they were liable if the patient sued for any reason. For instance anyone with a neck injury shouldnt be moved until a collar is put in place, if this is done and the person is left paralised then..........

As for here in Thailand the advice is correct....never stop or its your fault as soon as they see its a ferang.

Very sad but true,and this is worldwide.If you are not 100% sure of what you"re doing,better don't move a injured person,you can be sued and get into troubles for helping a stranger.About Thailand,the obviously"stupid farang" often ends to be blamed for other people's fault.When i ride my bike,i'm extremely careful even if i have to ride for a 100 mt.

I've been told the same thing by Thais I work with: "do not stop or you will be expected to pay".

Actually this is true. last year in Phuket an old English lady who had lived there for 20 years, stopped to help a Thai boy who had just been knocked off his motor bike. The lad got up and shot the lady dead, thinking she had done it , guess what nobody saw the incident or got the number of the bike. and it was in day light.I would think twice personally.

Very sad but true,and this is worldwide.If you are not 100% sure of what you"re doing,better don't move a injured person,you can be sued and get into troubles for helping a stranger.About Thailand,the obviously"stupid farang" often ends to be blamed for other people's fault.When i ride my bike,i'm extremely careful even if i have to ride for a 100 mt.

I disagree that this is true world wide. The US has Good Samaritan laws on the books they do vary from state to state but the idea is to protect those trying to help those that are injured.

There are also several states that have Duty to Act laws on the books - those laws could be used against a person not assisting someone in need.

This is an interesting topic and responses.

No. It is a legal obligation, at least in france. Don't know about elsewhere in europe.

But if you stop in France and help you don't usually run the risk of being stitched up or blamed

No. It is a legal obligation, at least in france. Don't know about elsewhere in europe.

But if you stop in France and help you don't usually run the risk of being stitched up or blamed

This is what happens in England when someone asks for help, an extreme but recent example where people were ordered by the police not to help a family, apparently due to 'health and safety' reasons, they all died and everyone stood around watching including the police :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5998930.ece

in the EU that is.

I'd hate to be the lawyer who has to prove that in court. :D

This is what happens in England when someone asks for help, an extreme but recent example where people were ordered by the police not to help a family, apparently due to 'health and safety' reasons, they all died and everyone stood around watching including the police :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5998930.ece

In Italy too if you are involved in a road accident,you will be prosecuted for running away.But you must know what you do in the case you factually help people.For instance, if you drag somebody out of a wrecked car ,and there is the case of a spine injury,you are going possibly to worse the injury and be prosecuted.There have been cases of people willing to help and having big troubles.So if there is a law,it is quite controversial;you can be blamed if you help(rightly or not) and if you don't.Standard practice is to stop your car and call the hospital.

Three years ago I would have thought it unconscionable NOT to stop and help a motorist involved in an accident.

Happily, I've outgrown that silly notion and just last month, drove past a motorclyle accident without a second thought.

There's no way I'm going to stop and help.

Common sense says, don’t get involved.

I would say, override what one should do legally and put morals first.

Consider this: it could be your, wife, son or daughter, a parent, family member or close friend laying there smashed up in the road begging for help. And perhaps even yourselves in the future.

If I was to be nearby to someone in distress and needing attention I would do my utmost to help and hel_l with the consequences that I would worry about later.

Who knows, some day, it may be you that I am dragging out of a burning vehicle or someone close to you.

What comes around goes around.

Edited by sassienie

Maybe the highly trained and skilled driver is STILL on the phone or something like that. Perhaps the driver doesnt want to get out and see what they have done to their chariot becos its still raining?

Fairly standard stuff you are describing, does it really surprise you?

Exactly ! Actually I was surprised that someone could think that it's weird that nobody helps somebody having an accident ! Maybe the OP is new here ?!

555 !

I've been told the same thing by Thais I work with: "do not stop or you will be expected to pay".

Actually this is true. last year in Phuket an old English lady who had lived there for 20 years, stopped to help a Thai boy who had just been knocked off his motor bike. The lad got up and shot the lady dead, thinking she had done it , guess what nobody saw the incident or got the number of the bike. and it was in day light.I would think twice personally.

If nobody saw the incident, who told the story? The only known fact would be that an old English lady was found shot dead by the roadside.