Wild Boar

zimba

The G/F family have found caught/bought 6 wild pigs

they alway rave about the meat, it is nice

2 went for family reunion BBQ last month

so 4 left, little girl pigs

so stupid me, asked a few questions

can you breed them?

can you cross breed them with domestic pigs?

3 hours and a few beers I still don't have a logical answer

so does anybody have any experience

or the rest will go to BBQ,

to celebrate birth of G/F and mine new baby next week or so

You may have to put lipstick on the boars.....:)

But yeah, they'll breed. There are extremely few real wild boars left in the world. Most of the 'wild boars' are actually feral pigs.

http://www.calu.bangor.ac.uk/Technical%20l...%20wildboar.pdf

**edit**

As a side note; Sweden sampled the DNA from boars both raised in Sweden and imported. With one exception, all those imported as "boar" (regardless if they came from Australia, New Zealand, or Hungary) were in fact either hybrids or actually really, really ugly pigs.

Edited by dave_boo

You may have to put lipstick on the boars..... :D

But yeah, they'll breed. There are extremely few real wild boars left in the world. Most of the 'wild boars' are actually feral pigs.

http://www.calu.bangor.ac.uk/Technical%20l...%20wildboar.pdf

**edit**

As a side note; Sweden sampled the DNA from boars both raised in Sweden and imported. With one exception, all those imported as "boar" (regardless if they came from Australia, New Zealand, or Hungary) were in fact either hybrids or actually really, really ugly pigs.

Thanks Dave

the cute one looks a little like a bar girl, I once woke up with in my hard drinking bgf (before girl friend) days :)

they seem hardy and able to grow on anything, will try and save some from the planned BBQ

our kid is the first of the new generation, various grand and great great parents are preparing for the biggest family party for years,

can you breed them?

Hi Zamba,

Wild pigs are getting very rare in Thailand, talk the Tessban in your area.

thye could be interested in breeding farms.

i ahev been asked to breed as much as i can we have two wild pigs on the farm, this will be our next mission to breed wild pigs and re introduce into the wild.

we knwo that the mountain regions aropund the Thai borders are beging depleted of wild pigs and boars.

soon it will be down to certain famrers to re introduce.

not difficult to raise and feed them.

they are very tasty and in good demand as meat.

Reagrds

John

Hi.

I bought 5 piglets (4 female and 1 male) a few ears back for 750 Baht each.

They are really lovable and once they grew up bred like rabbits but need a lot of feeding as they eat all day long and there is no money in breeding and selling for meat.

It all became a bit much for mum in law so we sold them to a friend who has plenty of land. He built them a great home with runs etc and I think has about 50 now. He would have a lot more but sells off a few now and again which go to Vietnam. He confirms there is no money in it but they are lovely things to have around.

They are very hardy but need vitamins added to their feed when young.

There is a fair bit of work cleaning out their enclosure regularly but if you treat it as a labour of love then no problem.

best lof luck

Hi i am Bob in Laos i bought 6 i think its mix of wild bore and black vietnamise pig but they act like wild becose they have kids 1 time a years.. 1 male 5 females they destroy my pinaple plantation eat all my duck eggs and chicen eggs but i steel have them now they are like in guatanamao jail ,electric fence birbe wire and heavey fence + undergond fence offfff and about 2 rai to destroy after 2 years a lot of work and money i think a have the control but man the desert storm at your doors i forget they eat also all my banana trees about 50 wow what a experience

they look like the breed onley 1 time a years and kids born aroud 1 august becose the male f**** all the time and kids come out only in august after 115 day gestation and i am selling the piglet at 10 kilos for bbq last years 1000 bath but still lost money this years will be 1500 bath i will see , man they are like tank ..........666

Bob Laos

Hi i am Bob in Laos i bought 6 i think its mix of wild bore and black vietnamise pig but they act like wild becose they have kids 1 time a years.. 1 male 5 females they destroy my pinaple plantation eat all my duck eggs and chicen eggs but i steel have them now they are like in guatanamao jail ,electric fence birbe wire and heavey fence + undergond fence offfff and about 2 rai to destroy after 2 years a lot of work and money i think a have the control but man the desert storm at your doors i forget they eat also all my banana trees about 50 wow what a experience

they look like the breed onley 1 time a years and kids born aroud 1 august becose the male f**** all the time and kids come out only in august after 115 day gestation and i am selling the piglet at 10 kilos for bbq last years 1000 bath but still lost money this years will be 1500 bath i will see , man they are like tank ..........666

Bob Laos

sorry for the late repy guys

off at the real job

Bob. we must meet one day soon

family farm very near Nong khai bridge,

50km very near in aussie terms

kept 2 cute girl piggets

need nice boy, who like walking in the rain, pina colatas, and meeting nice girl

with view for marrage and making babies

Bob Laos

Ha ha, Bob, that is a great and funny post. Laughing in the office now. :)

You guys have any pictures of the boars?

can you breed them?

Are these real wild boar, or as someone else notes - ferrel?

Can you breed them/cross breed them ? - yes - loads of space, mud and food needed.

Males can be real agressive - real agressive.

I have the real thing on my land - wild. You can't get near them (very shy), and if mom has piglets you don;t want to get near them. Agressive. But, they are not hard to tame if kept in captivity (you got to catch it first - have tried several times with no luck).

Meat: yes - nice, a lot less fatty than pig pork.

Commercialy viable? mmmm ... I think you'll be better off with ferrel pigs, and truth be told, once spiced up in food, so long as the boar percentage of the cross breed is high enough, and the fat content low, the taste will be near to impossible to discerne from 100% wild boar - but its very different from commercial pig meat, not least of which is the toughness (its tougher)

Hunting? - big gun required (shotgun with slug does nicely) - if its a bad hit or it doesn't drop, fair chance it will coming chasing you!! (so take Thai friend with spare gun!)

Theres a Thai guy up North who takes ex-pats in Laos on wild boar hunting trips.

Edited by Maizefarmer

MF; the Texacans along the Mexican built traps for the wild pigs there and used corn as bait, very successful, as it was not uncommon for them to catch sow and piglets in one go. They would dig the trap into ground under shade tree, brush etc, guess the cool and the bait was too much temptation for them.

Pigs should not be eaten they are filth

Hope you don't eat chickens; they are as bad if not worst....

He doesn't eat chickens Dave_boo......After his "How to get the goat's legs into wellingtons" school lessons, Abdullah the troll eats children. :)

Regards.

Edit: That's before his bomb the base lessons.

Sorry Bina. Couldn't help myself.

Edited by teletiger

Ok All

kid arrived, 2 pigs and few hundred litres of mekong sheep dip has been consumed

and I'm back to the salt mines to earn enough to pay for all this,

back in town July ?

then I ask very nicely has anybody want to trade or sell a nice boy wild boar

We have two and a half rai walled in. The brother in law gave my wife a black pig. He was actually a friendly little pig but VERY destructive. After two days, I told my wife to tell her brother in law to come get the pig. No pigs for me.

MF; the Texacans along the Mexican built traps for the wild pigs there and used corn as bait, very successful, as it was not uncommon for them to catch sow and piglets in one go. They would dig the trap into ground under shade tree, brush etc, guess the cool and the bait was too much temptation for them.

I tried once many years ago - using boiled corn seed as a bait - with a large pig crate. I had no luck - it wouldn't go into the crate. Ultimately it was a job for the shotgun (12 gauge slug) and that was a job as well, as it took a lot of time before we could get near enough to it.

Yes, digging a pit then covering it up is exactly how I've been told Thai's do it in the forest parts of the North East