Convicted Of Cussing; Brit Offender Burrowes To Get Free Tcket Home

CFIT

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big loss of face for Immigration 500 Baht Fine Now Trying hard to pull some Egg Off

Not thinking and digging a Bigger Hole.

Unbloodybelivable.

He should take the matter up with his MP.

Raise the question about the Embassys involvment or lack of it in the Commons.

Surely they have to answer to the Government.

Embassy staff Wages paid by the UK Taxpayer That would inc Mr Burrowes.

Two words sum up the latest Immigration action - vindictive and spiteful.

It will surely do wonders to Thailand's attempt to rebuild Tourism.

I wait for S. John's explanation as to why this latest setback is actually all Simon's fault, did he not grovel deep enough at Phuket this time round?

I'm sorry for your apparent reading impediment, but I never said it was all his fault in the first place nor is it now.

As for the latest... and to his credit, he seems to have at least learned from his last experience and conducted himself accordingly this time.

This time, it seems, he kept his cool.

“It's not that much of a surprise, really,” he told the Gazette, explaining that after all he had been through, he was fully prepared for a hitch.

“It’s nothing. It really is nothing,” he said, sounding resigned.

Edited by sriracha john

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/simon-burrowe...me-drama-11118/

Stayput Simon to Try to Fly Again Tomorrow

By Chutima Sidasathian and Alan Morison

Friday, May 15, 2009

Updating Phuketwan Report

SIMON BURROWES is to be held in detention at Immigration HQ in Phuket City overnight and will be placed on a flight for Singapore at 5pm tomorrow, Phuketwan has learned. The decision on what to do with the British holidaymaker, caught in a visa and passport nightmare, was made late today.

:D:)

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/simon-burrowe...me-drama-11118/

Stayput Simon to Try to Fly Again Tomorrow

By Chutima Sidasathian and Alan Morison

Friday, May 15, 2009

Updating Phuketwan Report

SIMON BURROWES is to be held in detention at Immigration HQ in Phuket City overnight and will be placed on a flight for Singapore at 5pm tomorrow, Phuketwan has learned. The decision on what to do with the British holidaymaker, caught in a visa and passport nightmare, was made late today.

:D:)

i don't quite understand the need for the smilies at the end.

unless your a sadist, there is nothing pleasing or amusing about his prediciment

The photograph depicts a full face and shoulder shot of a mature black man apparently without a shirt. He explained that he was wearing a singlet at the time it was taken. The photograph was one used when a replacement passport was issued to him in 1990( 1991?) in Melbourne while he was there for a martial arts tournament. At the time it conformed to most if not all international standards in that his head and facial features were clearly displayed, certainly to a degree that would satisfy any immigration inspection.

90-91??

His passport is 18 years old??

Surely he could have had the time during the last 18 years to upgrade it?

The photograph depicts a full face and shoulder shot of a mature black man apparently without a shirt. He explained that he was wearing a singlet at the time it was taken. The photograph was one used when a replacement passport was issued to him in 1990( 1991?) in Melbourne while he was there for a martial arts tournament. At the time it conformed to most if not all international standards in that his head and facial features were clearly displayed, certainly to a degree that would satisfy any immigration inspection.

90-91??

but

Only an idiot could possibly think it right

Burrowes is an accident waiting to happen.

He's deserving of the treatment he's received.

Thank you Texass Redneck for making your racist views quite clear!

Welcome to Thailand, The Hub of Stupidity. :)

Edited by GungaDin

Mr. Burrowes did have a great vacation before his little incident at the airport. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes and will use normal precautions when traveling internationally.

I would also hope that all the publicity would wake up someone at the British Embassy. The well deserved negative press could have been avoided if a salaried employee spent an extra five minutes investigating the case instead of heading off to a pub full of women (or men) to begin the weekend.

Less blame goes to Thai Immigration. This is the way they do business but many of us forget that this is a developing country and expect logical behavior by people barely trained to pee on their own.

Dealing with Thailand is no different than Iraq, Iran or any of the "Stans". The fact is that Thailand has a larger civil war going on than some of the other countries. In some ways Thailand is "Extreme Tourism". Follow the body count on Thai Visa. Poisoned people, floating bodies, murdered farang businessmen and women. Most of these cases are simply swept under the carpet or mat for the sake of the few tourists still traveling to the Land of Smiles.

Stay safe!

:):D:D You got that right, mate!

I can see quite plainly how some loudmouth, ignorant posters might find Burrowes' actions acceptable.

Shameful.

How do you conclude that I'm a racist, Gunga Dim? Because the rude, angry Brit is a black man?

Brilliant! Lovely! :)

Edited by Texpat

I can see quite plainly how some loudmouth, ignorant posters might find Burrowes' actions acceptable.

Shameful.

How do you conclude that I'm a racist? Because the rude, angry Brit is a black man?

Brilliant! Lovely! :)

I think Mr. Burrowes was treated like garbage. 5 weeks in a pen for that?

Thailand doesn't seem to want tourism.

Shameful.

How do you conclude that I'm a racist, Gunga Dim? Because the rude, angry Brit is a black man?

A quick check of your previous posts about Burrowes says everything about you.

BTW, are you really a Septic Tank? :)

90-91??

but

Only an idiot could possibly think it right

....and it certainly wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to deduce a mistake.......gosh, could it have meant to read 2000/2001?

....and it certainly wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to deduce a mistake.......gosh, could it have meant to read 2000/2001?

Why would anyone think it was a typo? You typed 199 instead of 200 twice! And then it's someone else's fault for overestimating your competence!

Edited by tw25rw

Good riddance to his sort...thats one of the main reasons I left the U.K. because of w&nkers like him....still think they should have locked him away for a few years...total a&&hole...

w&nkers falsely accused of using fake passports? They are a big problem in the UK?

Why would anyone think it was a typo? You typed 199 instead of 200 twice! And then it's someone else's fault for overestimating your competence!

Ironically similar to Mr. Burrowes... Electra's mistakes are the fault of others and he's completely absolved of any responsibility for his own actions. Not to mention his similar name-calling aspect.

Edited by sriracha john

"SIMON BURROWES is to be held in detention at Immigration HQ in Phuket City overnight and will be placed on a flight for Singapore at 5pm tomorrow, Phuketwan has learned. The decision on what to do with the British holidaymaker, caught in a visa and passport nightmare, was made late today."

Is he flying SQ, so he is routed through Singapore for a UK connection right???

"SIMON BURROWES is to be held in detention at Immigration HQ in Phuket City overnight and will be placed on a flight for Singapore at 5pm tomorrow, Phuketwan has learned. The decision on what to do with the British holidaymaker, caught in a visa and passport nightmare, was made late today."

Is he flying SQ, so he is routed through Singapore for a UK connection right???

from my reading of the reports the flight to singapore is merely so no official need accompany him to bangkok

iiuc it is not a connecting flight

of course anything can happen between now and then and reports have known to be wrong in the past and throw SB in the mix aswell - who knows?

"I spend about one full day in ten, on average, dealing with the catch-22 gordian knot known as Thai bureaucracy." What are you one of them 30 day visa runners?

no, I'm a once per year visa runner. The bureaucracy I refer to includes maintaining 2 separate vehicle licenses and four vehicles. There are other things in my life that require me to grapple with Thai bureaucrats, involving properties. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with business entanglements, otherwise my 1 day in 10 (for bureaucratic hassles) would become closer to 1 day in 9. I understand that some bureaucracy is needed in every adult's life, unless they're living under a bridge with a tin pot. The point here is, things that could be relatively simple and straightforward, become mega complicated - when Thai bureaucrats get involved. Example: I needed to prove I reside somewhere in Thailand in order to get a purchased motorbike in my name (why I need to prove I reside somewhere is beyond me, but I made motions to comply). I spent two full days driving to a distant city to comply. One day had to pay a Thai to come with a photocopy paper and sign it there. That day, both bosses at the Thai office took off 4 days early for Songkran, so I didn't get the final signature. I went back - another full day or driving and waiting in their office. I got the paper. Found out later it was not in my name - which was the whole purpose of getting the paper. Spent another full day going to another far away city. Got what I wanted, but not without another hired Thai having to haggle for an hour with a desk clerk. That's just for one out of four vehicles. I've got similar stories with other bureaucratic entanglements, but I doubt you'd like to hear the details.

I realize that 98% of resident farang get their wives / g'f's to do most of that, and then put the vehicles' and properties in their names. I can't do that, because my g'f is akha and has no ID card (one of tens of thousands of disenfranchised Thais who are essentially stateless). Plus, the drawback with putting things in a wife/gf's name, is relationaships often break up, and guess who gets the vehicles/properties? Yea, that's right. So I'll continue devoting one in ten days to Thai bureaucracy, and hope I don't go nuts in the process (maybe am already nuts).

i have never had a problem. i think this is an isolated incident.

(i have milky white skin and beautiful hair. i usually wear Armani/Hugo/Ralph/Calvin etc clothing, fwiw)

Your "Armani/Hugo/Ralph/Calvin clothing," proves the adage: Thai are impressed by appearances, not by substance.

Burrowes is an accident waiting to happen. He's deserving of the treatment he's received.

Burrowes is a spirited guy who got upset when he got unfairly shafted by a few vindictive imm officials. I'd do the same, though probably not as ballistically. I'd venture that most T.visa members would get angry if they were unfairly detained, were seeing their plane depart overseas without them, had no money, knew they weren't getting compensated, had been let down my their own embassy, were being threatened with 2 years jail time, and were being vindictively picked upon because they were an imposing big man with dark skin.

Edited by brahmburgers

Conclusion:

As traversing the globe entails any number of potential pitfalls, not everyone is cut out to be a world traveler.

What a pompous statement!

Seems the board is populated with elitists , too.

So, you are actually arguing Mr. Burrowes skin colour had NOTHING to do with his ordeal and it was his fault that his legally issued passport wasn't up to Thai standards ( or at least one Thai's standard..)?

Good riddance to his sort...thats one of the main reasons I left the U.K. because of w&nkers like him....still think they should have locked him away for a few years...total a&&hole...

problem is many of them move here and then post on Thai Visa....

problem is many of them move here and then post on Thai Visa....

Truly Kafkaesque.

I wouldn't put it beyond Thai Immigration to just buy him a cheap flight to Singapore and then conveniently forget to buy him an onward flight to the UK. Oh, and that's after locking him up for his last night just for good measure. How dare a black man make them lose face in the international media! :)

Conclusion:

As traversing the globe entails any number of potential pitfalls, not everyone is cut out to be a world traveler.

What a pompous statement!

Seems the board is populated with elitists , too.

So, you are actually arguing Mr. Burrowes skin colour had NOTHING to do with his ordeal and it was his fault that his legally issued passport wasn't up to Thai standards ( or at least one Thai's standard..)?

Factual, not pompous.

Realist, not elitist.

I'm not arguing anything, but simply pointing out that given his presentation with a suspect passport followed by aggressive action, the subsequent events that befell him could occur to a person of any color.

Part of being a world traveler is having responsibility for educating oneself and in many areas, this was sorely lacking. Yes, others were involved in his predicament, but I don't absolve him of his own role in it.

Edited by sriracha john