This Weeks Requirements At Immigration

gpdjohn

3 weeks ago Dustoff started a thread on what was required during that week for retirement extension ( O-A ) at CM Immigration.

I thought I would pass on what I had this morning.

I had made 2 copies of everything, no bank book because I don't have an account. 65k month method.

Took every ATM slip I could find.

Checked in at 0909 hrs. I think I was like number 8 or 9 on the book.

Called me at 1040 hrs. Spoke with a young lovely at the window ( #3) as she went through my stack of papers. "Where is bank book?" she asked. "Don't have one" is my reply. ( Now I start to get nervous ) She looks at me with a puzzled look. " Ok, you wait here for the officer".

A minute later the officer comes to the window ( now wearing a comfy looking baby blue polo with "Chiang Mai Immigration" embrodiered over the left pocket.)

He goes through my paperwork, says nothing 'bout a bank account and starts handing me back copies. I told him that I had made double copies of everything. He told me, not necessary. Had me sign one page I had not seen and told me to take a seat and that he will call me soon...

1101- I'm called inside. Same officer. Take a seat and he asks if I went to college.."yes sir" Where? Arizona State University ( for you Maejo Man, Go Sun Devils, whip the 'Cats!) "What did you do for a job before retire?" he asks. I tell him. He smiles.

He then started asking the wife questions, like.."how much is your rent payment", "where do you live" "are you his wife?" Nothing big, just little stuff. Don't know why he's asking her, he speaks near perfect American English and I understand Thai..

Then..

Shows me my passport and says, " no problem, I have given you another year."

Out the door I ran. ( 1130 hrs)

What I had- application form.

2 photos.

฿1900.

Income verification letter from Consulate.

Passport copies of a.) Signature page

b.) Last O-A Visa page

c.) TM6

d.) Last entry stamp

Went very smooth.

I informed him that I was moving down south soon and if I needed a letter or some other paperwork to show my next immigration office ( Aranyaprathet ) and he stated "No". My 90 day report is due next week and he said to just show them that when I do my next 90 day report there.

And the coffee was pretty good at the little snack bar this morn.

lucky there is no competition when it comes to the chiang mai immigration. and some parking is also available there. one thing to be a bit careful about this thread is whether the coffee at the Cafe Tor Mor is the best in town or not.

lucky there is no competition when it comes to the chiang mai immigration. and some parking is also available there. one thing to be a bit careful about this thread is whether the coffee at the Cafe Tor Mor is the best in town or not.

I can assure you TB, it is not. :)

A refreshing post indeed and it is good to hear that the process is speeding up.

I made the mistake of going right after Songkran and the place was mobbed. Perhaps many of the old crew were still on break? I won't know until I go in for my 90-day in two weeks.

Thanks for the update...

I wish I had an excuse to go to immigration more often than just once a year.

So, does that mean you don't do 90 day reports? :)

Not in person, no. I send someone over in case I don't have to travel abroad for 3 months.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not in person, no. I send someone over in case I don't have to travel abroad for 3 months.

May have to have a talk with the secretary about that. :)

Wonder if all the questions being asked the OP was just chit-chat or trying to verify something.

I have never had a problem with immigration here in Chiang Mai, the American consulate on the other hand has been a major pain in my back side, they even made me prove I lived in the USA for 5 years (which is still on going) to register the birth of my child who is now 1 year and 5 months old. All I can say is just a quick glance at my passport should be evidence enough. I am currently waiting for more documentation from the USA which I never though I would need and unfortunately I was educated out side of the USA for the most part so my transcripts don't count other than high school.

Thanks to gpdjohn for the report. Interesting that the lady at the window asked about the bank book (even for an income only application)......... it tallies with both my previous experiences of getting the retirement extension - on both occasions (as I've mentioned elsewhere) a relatively senior officer told me it was wanted (as in "we like to see") and the processing officer did note down the contents on his paperwork (as well as file away the bank letter confirming my balance each time).

Not really a problem for me next time (August) as I already have the Thai bank account and don't mind having 10-20k in it (though I'd rather not have to pay the bank's fee for the confirmatory letter) - but it would be useful for others to know whether it's required or not (for income-only applications).

3 weeks ago Dustoff started a thread on what was required during that week for retirement extension ( O-A ) at CM Immigration.

I thought I would pass on what I had this morning.

I had made 2 copies of everything, no bank book because I don't have an account. 65k month method.

Took every ATM slip I could find.

Checked in at 0909 hrs. I think I was like number 8 or 9 on the book.

Called me at 1040 hrs. Spoke with a young lovely at the window ( #3) as she went through my stack of papers. "Where is bank book?" she asked. "Don't have one" is my reply. ( Now I start to get nervous ) She looks at me with a puzzled look. " Ok, you wait here for the officer".

A minute later the officer comes to the window ( now wearing a comfy looking baby blue polo with "Chiang Mai Immigration" embrodiered over the left pocket.)

He goes through my paperwork, says nothing 'bout a bank account and starts handing me back copies. I told him that I had made double copies of everything. He told me, not necessary. Had me sign one page I had not seen and told me to take a seat and that he will call me soon...

1101- I'm called inside. Same officer. Take a seat and he asks if I went to college.."yes sir" Where? Arizona State University ( for you Maejo Man, Go Sun Devils, whip the 'Cats!) "What did you do for a job before retire?" he asks. I tell him. He smiles.

He then started asking the wife questions, like.."how much is your rent payment", "where do you live" "are you his wife?" Nothing big, just little stuff. Don't know why he's asking her, he speaks near perfect American English and I understand Thai..

Then..

Out the door I ran. ( 1130 hrs)

What I had- application form.

2 photos.

฿1900.

Income verification letter from Consulate.

Passport copies of a.) Signature page

b.) Last O-A Visa page

c.) TM6

d.) Last entry stamp

Went very smooth.

I informed him that I was moving down south soon and if I needed a letter or some other paperwork to show my next immigration office ( Aranyaprathet ) and he stated "No". My 90 day report is due next week and he said to just show them that when I do my next 90 day report there.

And the coffee was pretty good at the little snack bar this morn.

I went 3 weeks ago without the bankbook and was told to go get it even though I had everything else required, I think it depends on who's dealing with you,although I did find them more helpfull this time when something needed correcting at the interview stage unlike previous interviews where I was spoken to like a naughty school boy or maybe the painter's and decorator's were in.

Thanks to gpdjohn for the report. Interesting that the lady at the window asked about the bank book (even for an income only application)......... it tallies with both my previous experiences of getting the retirement extension - on both occasions (as I've mentioned elsewhere) a relatively senior officer told me it was wanted (as in "we like to see") and the processing officer did note down the contents on his paperwork (as well as file away the bank letter confirming my balance each time).

Not really a problem for me next time (August) as I already have the Thai bank account and don't mind having 10-20k in it (though I'd rather not have to pay the bank's fee for the confirmatory letter) - but it would be useful for others to know whether it's required or not (for income-only applications).

You are very welcome Steve2UK.

I had read and had been told that they would inform me that a bank account was going to be needed even though not required, that they wanted to see one , I was expecting that and to be turned away.

But, being the stubborn 'ol goat I am, I figured I would just give it the 'ol college try and if indeed turned away, I was ready to get the bank account.

I did inform the young woman ( I think that she is some sort of college intern and only does the intial check of paperwork and the destruction of western names on the PA, I had included 2 copies of everything and she made no mention of that, and the officer told me that only one was was good enough. ) that I was using the monthly pension route.

She seemed confused for a moment when hearing this and then gave me a real "<deleted>" look and after a few seconds to comprehend what was going on, just asked me to stand there and wait for the actual immigration officer. ( A Belgian guy had just yelled at her so she was looking at me rolling her eyes about him)

I might have hit on a lucky day.. the 13th. Who knows.

I do remember DrTreelove reporting that he was not asked for a bank account as well back in Feburary of this year, so I took his lead.

You are very welcome Steve2UK.

I had read and had been told that they would inform me that a bank account was going to be needed even though not required, that they wanted to see one , I was expecting that and to be turned away.

But, being the stubborn 'ol goat I am, I figured I would just give it the 'ol college try and if indeed turned away, I was ready to get the bank account.

I did inform the young woman ( I think that she is some sort of college intern and only does the intial check of paperwork and the destruction of western names on the PA, I had included 2 copies of everything and she made no mention of that, and the officer told me that only one was was good enough. ) that I was using the monthly pension route.

She seemed confused for a moment when hearing this and then gave me a real "<deleted>" look and after a few seconds to comprehend what was going on, just asked me to stand there and wait for the actual immigration officer. ( A Belgian guy had just yelled at her so she was looking at me rolling her eyes about him)

I might have hit on a lucky day.. the 13th. Who knows.

I do remember DrTreelove reporting that he was not asked for a bank account as well back in Feburary of this year, so I took his lead.

Just wondering, old boy, do you actually look like your avatar, or did you mistakenly submit two photocopies of it just to be safe on presenting all the right documents?!

I went 3 weeks ago without the bankbook and was told to go get it even though I had everything else required,

Assume you were using the income method.......

So, retrieving the bankbook was good enough -- or did they also want a bank letter?

Just wondering, old boy, do you actually look like your avatar, or did you mistakenly submit two photocopies of it just to be safe on presenting all the right documents?!

Yes, I look exactly like my avatar. I'm easy to spot, just look for the guy who looks like a cartoon.

the destruction of western names on the PA

Always entertaining :D.

As for the reason for all the questions, perhaps this officer has a predilection for blokes who look like cartoons?

he asks if I went to college.."yes sir" Where? Arizona State University ( for you Maejo Man, Go Sun Devils, whip the 'Cats!) "What did you do for a job before retire?" he asks. I tell him. He smiles.

Then..

:)

Edited by WaiWai

The bank account with the 65k income method - is indeed variable at Chiang Mai Immigration.

I tried it one year without the passbook / bank letter etc - and was informed politely that they really would like to have it.

That advice wasn't given by counter staff. I was asked inside for that conversation.

When I mentioned about the requirement being 800,000 account balance OR 65k income- she just laughed and said in perfect English "Yes - that word 'or' is sure a funny one". She knew what I was getting at - but it wasn't worth making a scene over. I did have a bank account, but only with a 5,000 baht balance - but it didn't matter - it filled the requirement once I had the bank letter and copies of the passbook.

Having my bank account with the Central Airport Plaza bank branch sure helps in case of "extra" requirements.

So I go prepared each time now with the copy passbook / bank letter, even though I am 65k method.

Others here obviously have a different experience.

There was a previous post that Chiang Mai Immigration insisted on every bank letter / photocopy be date stamped and signed by the bank for his application.

I have also had Chiang Mai Immigration staff insist that the bank letter specifically state that my funds transfers are from overseas. The K Bank standard letter doesn't include that line and I ask them each time to put it in - just in case.

The point is again made that things can and do differentiate between what might otherwise be "similar" standard 65k applications. As mentioned many times in this forum over the years - just be aware that it can happen - regardless of the experience of others or your own prior applications.

As I have written all along, there seem to be rules but it all depends on that particular person on the other side of the window or desk and their mood/awareness at that particular moment. We furryners tend to think in terms of hard and fast rules while 'they' apply the rules as either hard, or fast, according to their whim.

My post a while back referred to 'proof of income' which seemed to confuse a few other expats but for five years running, bank book copies which showed proof of very consistent foreign deposits which worked before did not work this time and this one particular person demanded an income affidavit from my Consulate.

Which, by the way, was handed right back to me when I returned, indicating that the extra trip and expense of obtaining the affidavit was a total waste since I was now greeted by another immigration person who found the bank book copies appropriate.

Was da same in Hawaii Government stuff. When going for an auto license or registration for example, the response was usually "No, brah, you gotta have dis an dis and come back, yah?"

Two, and frequently three trips to the window meant that they could keep thirty people (often cuzzins) on the job that could easily be done by ten. Nobody likes being laid off...

Two, and frequently three trips to the window meant that they could keep thirty people (often cuzzins) on the job that could easily be done by ten. Nobody likes being laid off...

-off topic-

Dustoff, those in civil service can not be fired/laid off easily and basically have a position for life. They can be demoted or transferred which means they don't really have incentive to do the job quickly or accurately. The civil service regulations in Thailand are nearly a mirror of those in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so in October, I'll go to the US consulate and affirm pensions well in excess of 65K/month. I can back it up with internet bank statements.

---continued --- I could also show over 50K in a bank account, locally. But jointly, in my name and my boyfriend. Should that be OK?

Okay, so in October, I'll go to the US consulate and affirm pensions well in excess of 65K/month. I can back it up with internet bank statements.

---continued --- I could also show over 50K in a bank account, locally. But jointly, in my name and my boyfriend. Should that be OK?

Joint accounts never count. You don't need it anyway since you have shown confirmation of the monthly income through the consulate letter.

Consider yourself lucky.

In Nong Khai they shake you down for bankbooks, letters from the bank indicating current deposits, letter from Embassy ... the works.

Internet bank statements ... ATM reciepts ... HA! Show deposits into a Thai bank or go home.

Then they try to sell you hand lotion.

All for a one-year visa (check in every 30 days) to support your Thai spouse.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by Texpat

No need to get nervous! The consulate letter works. Maybe some people haven't taken a shower or something before they have approached the window, and they run into problems! The bank balance is only the other practical alternative to the letter for most people to prove income, and it is messier. But is doesn't hurt to take your bank book along even though joint accounts never count as a qualifying account for retirement or spousal visa purposes. You could show the flow on deposits from abroad, if you support that information with statements from the source abroad. However, that is a very, very sloppy way of going about it.

I have never been asked for or offered tea money. I have never shown up in a suit and tie. If anyone did, I think they'd call out the colonel to pose with you for pictures! Hey! Get this! Wow! A farang in a suit and tie!! I have never had problems with the interns at the windows, some of whom are --- well --- interns and have to turn to someone to help. I have always gotten straight answers from immigration people. All the immigration people I have talked with, beyond business, have either acted bored with their jobs or have begun casual pleasant conversation. I have never had to do any business that took longer that 45 minutes from parking to exiting the lot.

Unfortunately, I have been around a few times long enough to see and listen to some of the unbelievably rude and occasionally just plain strange clowns that are around, many of whom seem to think Thailand owes them something! But then some of those types seem to be in all such lines regardless of country! Another bunch seems to comprise some older or bewildered people who do genuinely seem to need some help that is difficult when language-challenged. But, you know, it isn't the responsibility of the immigration office to provide all assistance. People should come with an interpreter, if they need one.

Oh yes! A postscript: As someone mentioned above, the 90-day visit can be handled by your housekeeper or by mail, if you wish.

Whew, I get dizzy...

I arrived today at 2pm and discoverd a total of only ten people in the whole place!

My 90-day check-in took all of ten minutes or less but the wait for the re-entry stamp was well over an hour.

I was surprised to be asked for several copies from my passport for the 90-day. In well over eight years, I have never, ever been asked for anything but the little reminder sheet stapled into my passport.

But then perhaps I forgot to shower this morning, eh? :)

I have also always wondered what they do with all that paperwork. Surely there isn't enough space in all of the government buildings in all of Thailand to save it all.

Do they recycle? Just laugh and throw it all out the back door as soon as we walk away?

I have also, like many others here, wondered why the hamburger in the vast number of farang burger joints here tastes like cardboard.

Hmm, I suppose that the Thai government feeding all that paperwork back thru us would qualify as recycling, yes? :D

I was surprised to be asked for several copies from my passport for the 90-day. In well over eight years, I have never, ever been asked for anything but the little reminder sheet stapled into my passport.

That has been a requirement for several months now Dustoff. Even have a notice posted up in front of the 90 day window. :) I've only supplied one copy though, as stated on the notice, not multiple. Need to stop wearing your fatigues to immigration. :D