Techniical Writing

A former boss now working for an International company (Europe HQ) in HK/China has asked me if I would like to do some free-lance editing/writing for some of their product manual work. I would be working with English language documentation provided by manufacturers and whipping it into compliance with style requirements. I have been asked to propose a per-page rate and I really don't have a clue. I don't want to price myself out of the work, but at the same time I don't want to find out I am charging too little. I would appreciate any constructive comments/feedback from those who might be doing/might have done similar work. Thanks in advance for any help.

I did something similar, but far less technical a few years back, charged 100 THB per page.

But please note the whole thing only ended up taking a few hours and all docs were given to me via email attachment and only minor adjustments needed to be done. (No re-typing)

If major adjustments needed to be made I would have charge a much higher per page rate. (I would estimate that you should make at least a min of 2-3k per day doing this to make it worth your time)

I did something similar, but far less technical a few years back, charged 100 THB per page.

But please note the whole thing only ended up taking a few hours and all docs were given to me via email attachment and only minor adjustments needed to be done. (No re-typing)

If major adjustments needed to be made I would have charge a much higher per page rate. (I would estimate that you should make at least a min of 2-3k per day doing this to make it worth your time)

To be honest, seeing as you cant spell the word "Technical" - do you really think that it is a good career move to be editing documentation? :-)

To be honest, seeing as you cant spell the word "Technical" - do you really think that it is a good career move to be editing documentation? :-)

To be honest, seeing as you cannot spell the word 'can't' correctly - do you really think it is wise to nitpick a hasty forum post for a spelling error? The technical term for people like you is 'Grammar Nazi'. However, you are not a good Grammar Nazi. Good Grammar Nazis proof their petty criticisms before hitting the send button. BTW, not a career move as I have been writing and editing for years now and have two computer books in current publication (USA).

To the others who had constructive comments--Thank you.

Ahhhh but you see I am not going for a job editing paperwork..... so I can spill as bodly as I lick ! ;-) Personally I thought my comment was highly constructive - it's attention to detail like spelling and grammar that are important in that kind of work..... I am sure there are times when the editing will need to be done hastily, but it still needs to be done accurately. Anyhoo - made me chuckle too ! ;-)