Urban Thais Question Thaksin's Populist Policies

george

Urban Thais question Thaksin's populist policies and handling of separatists

BANGKOK : Just three days before Thais go the ballot box, Prime Minister Mr Thaksin Shinawatra's popularity is at an all-time high.

But some Bangkok urban elites see the Prime Minister in a less than flattering light.

Thai politicians have taken to the stage to battle it out in the country's first electoral debate.

All the major political parties were present except, the ruling Thai Rak Thai party.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has shunned the debate calling it "un-Thai."

The forum at Bangkok's Thammasat University is one of the few places where voters can still witness a substantive debate on the ruling Thai Rak Thai.

Bangkok votes differently from the rest of the country.

People there are more likely to question Mr Thaksin's populist polices, his war in the Muslim south, and what some perceive as a growing authoritarianism.

Bangkok-based journalist Kavi Chongkittavorn is one of Mr. Thaksin's most outspoken critics.

His Nation media group has paid a price for crossing the Prime Minister - it's been hard to find anyone willing to advertise.

"Thai media has changed dramatically in the past 4 years because Thaksin's govt knows that media, particularly the broadcasting media is pivotal for his political campaign and also for implementing govt policy so he seeks to control broadcasting media." said Mr Chongkittavorn.

It may be tough to win over the journalists and academics, but Mr Thaksin has plenty of projects which appeal to other urbanites.

He's planning a US$25 billion makeover of the mass transit system in Bangkok.

Also in the works: a new super modern airport with a special rail link and a new twin city for Bangkok to relieve the overcrowding.

The new projects are popular and exciting.

They're also breathtakingly expensive.

Many elites and academics who remember the 1997 financial crisis think Mr Thaksin is playing with fire.

"This is a dangerous game. A country is not a company. A country cannot be dissolved..." said Dr. Chavin Leenabanjong, a Professor of Economics at Thammasat University.

But the Prime Minister's critics are isolated voices, increasingly difficult to hear over the din of Bangkok's booming construction.

-- CNA 2005-02-03

Thai politicians have taken to the stage to battle it out in the country's first electoral debate.

All the major political parties were present except, the ruling Thai Rak Thai party.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has shunned the debate calling it "un-Thai."

How condescending, arrogant, and patronizing is that???... but then again, debating is a democratic process and that's something that Thaksin is clearly unfamiliar with. 

Bangkok votes differently from the rest of the country.

Would that have anything to do with being better educated, on the whole, then the rest of the country?

People there are more likely to question Mr Thaksin's populist polices, his war in the Muslim south, and what some perceive as a growing authoritarianism.

and bird flu mismanagement, Tsunami mismanagement, inordinately huge increases in his family's wealth, repressing media freedom, etc. etc. ad nauseum

Many elites and academics who remember the 1997 financial crisis think Mr Thaksin is playing with fire.

"This is a dangerous game. A country is not a company. A country cannot be dissolved..." said Dr. Chavin Leenabanjong, a Professor of Economics at Thammasat University.

...but it can, in essence, declare bankruptcy

But the Prime Minister's critics are isolated voices, increasingly difficult to hear over the din of Bangkok's booming construction.

I still have hope, however waning it may be, for Thailand.

hahahahaha.... I Love It....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Opponents say PM not ‘cut out’ to be leader at debate

Published on February 04, 2005

The organiser of an election debate at Thammasat University yesterday erected a cardboard cut-out of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra over a

seat reserved for his Thai Rak Thai Party after the party failed to send a representative to the debate.

The organiser also served coffee to the cut-out in a protest gesture over the Thai Rak Thai no-show.

It was all over the news the other week, that he was professing to be a TEXAN!.......  LOL

spending money like a governer of texas.....

So whats the news on the fuel subsidy? when is he stopping that? the day after the election? :o

It was all over the news the other week, that he was professing to be a TEXAN!.......   LOL

spending money like a governer of texas.....

So whats the news on the fuel subsidy? when is he stopping that? the day after the election? :o

Well, coming from a city that has recently made a rail link to the airport, I think its a fantastic idea. I'm not so sure about the sister city idea.

Not that I'm a fan of Thaksin, I'm not- but at least some of his ideas make sense. Can't same the same for some Texans...

except that the rail link is just a dream at this point. It's already more behind schedule than the airport is. I can't say that ANY of his ideas make sense, but hey, if he wants to spend billions on unnecessary mega-projects, that's fine. I'll just wait for the meltdown as per 1997 AGAIN and watch the dollar double AGAIN against the baht.

of course, that's not what i REALLY want as it will hurt so many Thais AGAIN, but they have to learn that if that is the leader they want and vote him in AGAIN, they have to live with it.

I'm seeing a trend here with my own post.... history repeating itself AGAIN.

Edited by sriracha john