Most Romantic Restaurant In Cm ?

JXXXL

The missus and I are planning to have a romantic dinner on Valentines Day.  Which to you all think are the most romatic eateries in our area?

P.S. Does anyone know if the Tamarind has a restaurant and if so, is it nice?

Call me old fashioned, but the venerable Thaa Naam with its garden like setting and classical Northern Thai music in the background remains one of my favorites over the years. But I don't really think that romanticism and Thai restaurants go well together as eating is such a social event in Thai culture that the thought of only two people going out to eat is a bit foreign to the Thai mind.

The missus and I are planning to have a romantic dinner on Valentines Day.  Which to you all think are the most romatic eateries in our area?

P.S. Does anyone know if the Tamarind has a restaurant and if so, is it nice?

Call me old fashioned, but the venerable Thaa Naam with its garden like setting and classical Northern Thai music in the background remains one of my favorites over the years. But I don't really think that romanticism and Thai restaurants go well together as eating is such a social event in Thai culture that the thought of only two people going out to eat is a bit foreign to the Thai mind.

enjoyed Huan Soontaree Vechanont, on the river with very good music and singer

Book a table in front of the river

Phone 053252445

address 46/1 Wang Singkhum Road

Fax 053 872348

Have a nice evening

I've been at the restaurant at Tamarind and it's typical Thai-ish tourism fare. Not bad, but it won't impress most Thai people. And the prices are high of course.

Personally.. Go to The House, but you will want to make a reservation like today. I guarantee you will have an excellent dinner, or your money back. :o

(It will cost some though, main courses are like 300 baht and up; expect between 1000 and 2000 baht for two if you're also having some appetizers and dessert..) Also if you take a Thai person then he or she should be a little adventurous, food wise, and enjoy trying Western and Western-inspired fusion stuff. )

But it is the best restaurant in Chiang Mai, food-wise, atmosphere wise and service-wise. nothing else is even in the same league.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Not true.

La Gondola has a better atmosphere and the food is equally good;

Ditto, for the new Fillmore East, both on the river with excellent food.

The House is slightly pretentious and somewhat over-priced if you hail from a real restaurant town, but in Chiang Mai, due to no real competition, they get credit for trying :o

La Gondola is the one in that big condo near Nakhorn Ping bridge?

Fillmore east feels a bit too Western / American I think. Never been to the new location though. Like it's quite likely they BBQ some steak and ribs better than anyone else in Chiang Mai, but a top restaurant is different from that I think? Kind of like being the best Som Tam stall in Chiang Mai: that would be an amazing feat to achieve and give you booming business. But a top-restaurant with some creative items on the menu is just a different thing right?

When in CM last month we sat down at the house (also called Ginger house?), beautifully done out. But on receiving the menu,we made our apologies & left.

Very expensive. We blamed it on the fact there was no Thai food.

We then went on to Bann Bu Ree, near Suan Dok. New & very good, well worth trying. Anyone else been there??

For beautiful, romantic setting imo Le Grand Lanna.

Scottie

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I went to The House today and it looks like the perfect place. A bit on the expensive side by Thai standards but not too bad for a special night. I will definitely try the other places suggested and will give a critique after eating at The House.

Cheers

> But on receiving the menu,we made our apologies & left.

I'm known to do that as well.. :o As for the House however, I knew very well in advance that it was up-market but decided to try it for a special occasion anyway. And I was not disappointed.

And my wife is kind of the same way. She'd also rather lose 500 baht on an excellent dinner than lose 50 baht on lousy som tam. :D

Also... compare: Go to the Good View for an evening; that's a typical example of a 'upper mid range' restaurant right.. The prices on the menu are a nice 80-120 baht, affordable, but they seriously get you on the drinks, even water bottles and ice buckets! Also places like Monkey Club come to mind.. I remember losing 70 baht just on water and ice, that's before ordering anything!

At The House they serve you water for free and also give you for example a bread basket with really nice bread and herb butter thingies for free. Then, say you each get a main course, say one at 300 and one at 350. But that wraps up your whole expense for the evening, total bill is 650 baht. You EASILY spend that just the same at the Good View or when you go eat seafood at a common place like Similan Seafood or any of the ones at Anusarn.

So.. In my book you just got a top dining experinece for not much more than a fancy Thai meal.

But.. no flaming from me; When I'm just looking for a bite to eat, stumble in somewhere and see prices ranging from 300 to 600 baht then I'm quite likely to walk right out just the same. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

La Gondola is the one in that big condo near Nakhorn Ping bridge?

Fillmore east feels a bit too Western / American I think.  Never been to the new location though.  Like it's quite likely they BBQ some steak and ribs better than anyone else in Chiang Mai, but a top restaurant is different from that I think?    Kind of like being the best Som Tam stall in Chiang Mai: that would be an amazing feat to achieve and give you booming business.  But a top-restaurant with some creative items on the menu is just  a different thing right?

Yes about La Gondola being in the condo

As to the Fillmore, I am ONLY talking about the new location. The old place had the best steaks in Northern Thailand, and much of the food was very good quality for what it was, but over-priced for the so-so atmosphere of the place.

The new Fillmore is so comfortable and has such a pleasant atmosphere that it would be OK if they kept the old menu, but they have improved it a lot, and Ron seems to realize that if he is going to stay in such an up-market location, he can never rest on his laurels, so I expect bigger and better things there in the future!

Also, David who used to own the America restaurant, way back when, and has owned a bunch of expensive restaurants in Hawaii and San Diego, will be opening 'The Dukes' restaurant, in March, on the other side of the Narawat Bridge ( turn right ) from the Night Bazaar, where the Tavern used to be.

This guy may specialize in "American" cuisine, but he is probably one of Chiang Mai's only real, professional restaurateurs. :o

I like some of the dishes at The House (seared tuna excellent), some don't quite make it for me (a salmon dish, I forget the details). It's a great old house but it would really benefit from a professional interior makeover, ie, the interior design is not very good, pictures too small for the wall space they're hung, and hung at the wrong height (yes there are standards for this sort of thing) for example. I'd eat at The House more often if it weren't for the decor and the music they play. Actually the music is worse than the decor! Outdated 'Smooth jazz' and show tunes, the last time I was there. It's also pretty pricey (but the prices are commensurate for the level of service and food). But if you just focus on the food and service, it's a pretty good food experience overall.

The restaurant at The Rachamankha is excellent, I tried the tasting menu there a couple of weeks ago. If you want inventive but very tasty Thai fusion, I'd say it's the best in CM for now. Very tasteful and elegant, atmosphere-wise, as you would expect from the best boutique hotel in Chiang Mai.

Daalaabaa is another possibility for romance, the warm red and orange tones of the decor certainly 'Valentine-esque' (maybe even Valentino-esque), and pretty good Thai fusion. Not as expensive as either The House or The Rachamankha. Nice interior design, done by Aek from Aka Shop (formerly known as Aka Wilai). Aek's ex-wife owns Daalaabaa. The CDs played at Daalaabaa are generally good, up-to-date chill stuff.

So if you want something more Thai, then I'd say Daalaabaa or The Ratchamankha. If you want more European/Pacific Rim, then The House. A final word, Daalaabaa is probably the best bang for the buck, for what you get in terms of food, service and atmosphere. Good Chilean house wines supplied by the Wine Gallery. And the best music of the three mentioned here.

• 3 years later...
enjoyed Huan Soontaree Vechanont, on the river with very good music and singer

Book a table in front of the river

Phone 053252445

address 46/1 Wang Singkhum Road

Fax 053 872348

one of our favorites! anybody know the website URL? I've seen it before, some time ago, but now I can't find itunsure.gifhuh.gif