Australian Women Arrested In Phuket Over Bar Mat

COBRA22

This only serves to make the Thai authoritits look stupid to the rest of the world

i think the rest of the world already know this

but after the simon burrows case, you would think the police ect would act more different

many many oz folk visit phuket, but after this there might be a backlash ...............

Amazing Thailand

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many thais are hit up with "give me 20K and you won't have to go to the police station"

the difference is that the thais know how to negotiate the price down and you obviously failed.

ahh no, you just failed. Actually I repeatedly said "no I really want to go the police station" Basically he gave up and sent me on my way.

And the answer is - thais are never hit up for 20K so they never have to negotiate the price down.

Theft is a crime. The woman is a suspected criminal.

Seems the cops are doing what they should.

If they did nothing, the gasbags here would be whining about rampant crime and idle cops.

If only Thailand were more like ___________. (insert your country here)

How did the bar owner know she had gotten abusive with the police & continued to be so to the police chief? He admits he wasn't there & wasn't even in the country so who told him this was true cause unless I missed it (and sorry if I have) he is the only one quoting it. COnsiderig so many of you are making comment about it I would like to see some police quote if anyone has one.

And I agree with other posters, the women has been charged with theft, a theft that several people including bar staff admit she was not party to, she hasn't been charged for being abusive or drunk so it's very funny to me how many of you are basing your argument of either or both of these things & how she is an "aussie sheila". I mean it's not like we never see drunk and or abusive foreign men in Thailand is it!! :)

What is funny is that Steve Wood, the Aussie bar owner is also guilty of theft.

He has illegal sattelite tv from Papua new Guinea that broadcasts the NRL and AFL in his bar.

He discussed it openly.

I am sure he has the BiB in his back pocket anyway.

what is mnore funny iss likely the cause off the grudge you seem to nursing against this felllow. telling tales out of school? seems the anonymity of the interenet has given you courage.

No worries caffer, i will PM you my phone number and we can meet up and discuss about talking out of school.

she will probably just fly home in some days or weeks leaving behind a ruined bar owner and a tourist destination boycotted by the australian nation, just because she can't control herself when she is drunk. with 36 years and 4 kids you should at least know yourself that much to avoid booze when you can't handle it.

Bar mats are free adverts. Lifted ones? Cost of doing business. Make her buy ten of them, should have been end of story. But now face and the irrational Thai justice system has powered up its wheels of destruction, Katie Sheila bar the door! BTW, I like this bird, she looks like fun.

Edited by Jingthing

if the falangs would stop to talk from the top down to the thais as if they where dogs none of this shit would have happened. show a bit respect to everyone and you can probably get out of this kind of situation easily. now the aussie pm has 'publicly denounced the Thai justice system'. i mean how stupid can the PM be? does he have consultants in cultural affairs at all?

It appears that the charge is not being abusive to Thai Police or fleeing the scene of the crime! The charge is stealing a beer mat which actually didn't happen at all, if what has been reported is true! Apparently, the bag remained inside the bar as did the beer mat inside the bag! Therefore, the 'highly sort after and extremely expensive/over priced beer mat still remained in the bar until the 'Off duty" Police (and I use that term in its most loosest) removed the item in question themselves!

Thus, all those who opine that the lady in question,who was in 'high spriits' (a term often used to describe politicians accused of air-rage or whatever the PC term is for the upper class who are as drunk as lords behaving in a very unruly, undignified, aggressive and impolite manner) who believe the lady should not have displayed her feelings of outrage at being accosted and 'banged-to-rights' over the non-theft of a beer mat - a beer mat for christ's sake, are setting up red herrings!

In conclusion, It is you who should be ashamed of yourselves! It is you who are defending abusive conduct by Police. It is you who should re-assess your compass on what's right and wrong! It is incidents like this and the Simon Burrows disgrace that give the Australian PM the ammunition to reveal the lack of justice in Thailand's broken legal system. Indeed, it behoves the Australian PM to make the rest of ASEA aware that the current chair of the community needs to do some housework.

Don't tell me Thais and Farang get treated the same either. EVERY time the police see me in a taxi at asoke intersection I am pulled over and thoroughly searched as cars of thais have flown on by before me. How many thais are hit up with "give me 20K and you won't have to go to the police station"

they would do the same to Thais too if the Thais had 20000b, it has nothing to do with race

How did the bar owner know she had gotten abusive with the police & continued to be so to the police chief? He admits he wasn't there & wasn't even in the country so who told him this was true cause unless I missed it (and sorry if I have) he is the only one quoting it. COnsiderig so many of you are making comment about it I would like to see some police quote if anyone has one.

:

Its his business, and he has friends, i doubt he would be uncontactable. His bar managers would be straight on the line to him....I would imagine.

And I agree with other posters, the women has been charged with theft, a theft that several people including bar staff admit she was not party to, she hasn't been charged for being abusive or drunk so it's very funny to me how many of you are basing your argument of either or both of these things & how she is an "aussie sheila". I mean it's not like we never see drunk and or abusive foreign men in Thailand is it!! :)

Well there are, and the younger jetstar bogun brigade who have made it up from Bali to here recently are adding to the number..

But the difference is.. When we guys get gobby with a cop during arrest they take us back to the cells and give us a clout for it.. Theres no 'mother of 4' appeals.. Its understood, gob off in the station and cop a broken nose..

So abusive farang guys get it that way.. I assume she doesnt want full equality in that case huh ?? No I suspect its one way equality.. Equality to be a lout, but not to pay for it..

Bar mats are free adverts. Lifted ones? Cost of doing business. Make her buy ten of them, should have been end of story. But now face and the irrational Thai justice system has powered up its wheels of destruction, Katie Sheila bar the door! BTW, I like this bird, she looks like fun.

People may like to take into account the facts before getting on their high horse about whether the authorities are right or wrong. That something was stolen is without doubt and if you go to the Aussie Bar and look at what was stolen they are about 1m long and 1/2 meter wide. Not an inconsequential piece of equipment and certainly not something you would take for a prank back in Oz. It is also not of the size that many western papers, especially in Australia, are giving the impression that she stole. I am sure that she would not have been stopped for stealing a cardboard mat, or even possibly a towel, which is what many of the misguided and inaccurate reports are claiming.

It also appears that when finally caught and arrested she verbally abused the officer, who like many Thai police speaks not great English, and then demanded to be taken to his superior where she proceeded to verbally abuse him.

As has already been pointed out raising your voice to the Police in just about any country is likely to land you in trouble - it is also often the first reaction for someone that is guilty of what they are being accused of, be it stealing or lying

Are the Phuket police trying to kill the last remaining tidbits of tourism to their overpriced island? What's up with them? How about some sensitivity training on dealing with people from OTHER CULTURES. They sell the sizzle of an international hip cool island. They ain't delivering.

Am I saying drunken tourists should be cut a certain amount of slack on their hard earned holiday? YOU BETCHA! Its a tourist island, isn't it? Treat them better or say BYE BYE.

Edited by Jingthing

If the reports are correct and she tried to run away, then it stands to reason that even if she did not put the "mat" in the bag herself she was atleast aware of it being there and as such she took a part in whatever harebrained drunken scheme she and her friends had cooked up.

Edited by Fun2Fun

Are the Phuket police trying to kill the last remaining tidbits of tourism to their overpriced island? What's up with them? How about some sensitivity training on dealing with people from OTHER CULTURES. They sell the sizzle of an international hip cool island. They ain't delivering.

How about people from "other cultures" (Australia - culture? :)) reading up a bit about Thailand before they come here and p1ss off the local BiB?

How about people from "other cultures" (Australia - culture? :)) reading up a bit about Thailand before they come here and p1ss off the local BiB?

Because these are not cultural tourists! They are just in town for the beach, some sights, some booze, and some shags and if the tourist infrastructure is not going to respect that, they will just go elsewhere. Does Phuket want this stupid easy gravy train money or not? With cops like that, they don't deserve it.

asccording to Sydney Morning Herald there was a court hearing yesterday.

"A court hearing for the woman was scheduled for May 18. The embassy is seeking the outcome of that hearing."

Why is there no news about that yet?

For Steve I expect troubles ahead since it is blown up to highest level of govt agencies on both sides. He may lose his business and investment if he paid off police illegally (there will be nerve racking investigations). Somebody might take over his/their business, which is well established, promoted and famous now. Think about.

Edited by elcent

This is petty, but worse, self-destructive. This does Thailand not one whit of good. The Thai police need to take a lesson from the police in Hawaii. They realize that the tourist is their livelihood, that their salaries come directly and indirectly from tourism. So when a Chinese or Korean or whatever tourist gets drunk or obnoxious and needs to be restrained, they do just that. Restrain. They may take him or her back to his or her hotel, or at worst, take the tourist to a cell until they sober up. Things are kept quiet. If it is a real serious crime, OK, things go to court as normal. But for petty things, they are bundled onto their plane and shipped out.

I agree. Thailand is getting some terrible press and not being proactive in "damage control." Lets say, for sake of argument, that the abuse allegations were true. Let her cool her heels in jail for one night to sober up, then deport her the next day. The Thai police would have "shown her" who is boss and face would have been saved.

However, the poor lady is being charged with "Night time theft" and supposedly the guilty party even admitted that the mat was placed in the acused's purse. The bar owner was out of the country when the even occured and is only speculating as to what actually happened.

Unfortunately all sides seem to be digging in and holding their positions, so an opportunity for a quick compromise seems to be fading away.

Would the Thais really imprison her for 2 to 5 years for "stealing" a bar mat?

The stories from Thailand just keep getting more ridiculous by the day.

Just remember a few weeks ago the PM was dragged out of his car by a protestor and manhandled and he got away after being arrested and then let out for a 'smoko'.

All sorts of scammers and criminals are running wild through the country.

Property theft indeed theft of any kind is epidemic.

Yet somehow a western woman is locked up for a stealing a beer mat and is stuck in Thailand indefinitely and facing a jail term.

Get real.

No matter which way you look at it Thailand is a joke and a very sick one at that.

Frankly, I would have far less tolerance for a long term expat doing such a prank. But mass tourism is all about attracting the dumb masses. Maybe Thailand really doesn't want them. Fine. Then they can't have the money either. Its a two way street.

Judging by the comments of the accused, her husband, and the bar owner, what she could have used was some humility and respect shown to the officers, and she wouldn't be in this predicament and blaming everyone but herself. I think she's getting a little payback for her attitude, and eventually they'll let her go.

Yes the Aussie Bar has some police in the organization, as does every other foreign business in Thailand

Since when? I know many many Thai and farang business owners, none would ever employ a cop. In the Thai language there is an old saying "Having a Policeman as a friend is like raising a pet cobra, oneday you will get bitten." The Thai police are the mafia in Thailand, so to me anybody who deals with them is either a sucker being pumped by them or a partner in crime with them.

I believe Mr Woods actually pays the top cop to ensure that he always has off duty cops that have a bit of clout available in or around his bar.

What for if he is running an honest business? Or are they there to protect other business being done there? A couple I know who have been there told me they were approached by people with offers that scared them so much they moved hotels in fear of being set up.

I wouldn't trust anybody who employs or bribes Thai cops.

How about people from "other cultures" (Australia - culture? :) ) reading up a bit about Thailand before they come here and p1ss off the local BiB?

Well, how about because the Thai government tries to sell Thailand as a destination for relaxing in the surf, having fun, and pretty much enjoying oneself?  I don't see ads on the television selling Macau as a cultural destination.  It is about gambling and entertainment.  Thialand is sold as beaches, food, friendly people, shopping, and maybe a few temples.

People who live here really need to understand the culture, and even as a simple tourist, I personally would try to read up on the local culture.  But for the majority of the tourists who are here for a couple of days or a week, they are being sold a bill of goods by the tourism authorities, and none of that has to do with the local police.

I believe Mr Woods actually pays the top cop to ensure that he always has off duty cops that have a bit of clout available in or around his bar, to my mind a very astute business move. The bar runner (mat) may well have been provided free of charge by a supplier but so are fridges anf fixtures and fittings. It still does not give the punters the right to walk out the door with anything that takes their fancy.

I don't think there is any argument that the Thai justice system is unwieldy and flawed or that there is great folly in abusing the constabulary. People need to be aware that this is THAILAND and the home team owns the pitch, the ball and the referee. Get drunk in Thailand...no problem, get drunk in Thailand, do a runner and abuse the top cop... look out!

Mr Rudd clearly has failed the international diplomacy 101 test yet again, he is so wrapped up in China and the fact he can speak passable Mandarin that he has dropped the ball for the second time on Thailand (the first time when he turned his plane around in Singapore when there were problems in Pattaya).

I feel sorry for the Australian taxpayer who will end up footing the bill for some DFAT functionary spending a few weeks in a five star resort in Phuket so he can be available to speak with the media and tell them that DFAT can not interfere in the internal justice system of other nations and have daily meetings with the woman and her husband. Come to think of it, my government, in an act of compassion, will probably fly the rest of the family to Phuket under pressure from some shock jock on Melbourne radio.

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions!!

No matter what the outcome, Thailand tourism will suffer a set back as a result of the western media coverage, The Aussie bar will continue to be the most popular bar on Bangla road, The top cop will continue to receive his payments and life will go on.

I am sick of the people that cannot adjust to the way things are done here and constantly complain about Thailand! Either get used to it or leave, simple really. For mine I would rather see the corruption benefit the many, as it does here, than the few (politicians and rich elite) as it does in most western countries.

Excellent posting midasthailand!

Would the Thais really imprison her for 2 to 5 years for "stealing" a bar mat?

No, of course not. Didn't you know that this type of hyperbole is how news media works? They just check the typical maximum sentence for whatever the offense was and print that. So when you look up 'thievery' then you see.... 3 to 5 years. He presto!

Much more likely she will get off with something in between a warning, up to a small fine and possibly deportation.

Why is this such a big topic here, with all the newbies coming out of the woodwork? Please.