Thailand General Election Thread 2005

george

Remember 'Democrats' ---- is only the english term, the Thai language translation is something else I believe.

We have a tendency to favour them simply because of the nice-sounding name.

When they were in power they were quite capable of lining their own pockets. (Sanan Kachornprasart - one of the most corrupt people in politics was an ex-party member).

Chuan Leekpai had a reputation for integrity - but there were plenty of dodgy-'Democrats'

Apirak - new Democrat Governor of bangkok - what's he done since taking office - (pose for photos?) - nothing.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember 'Democrats' ---- is only the english term, the Thai language translation is something else I believe.

We have a tendency to favour them simply because of the nice-sounding name.

When they were in power they were quite capable of lining their own pockets. (Sanan Kachornprasart - one of the most corrupt people in politics was an ex-party member).

Chuan Leekpai had a reputation for integrity - but there were plenty of dodgy-'Democrats'

Apirak - new Democrat Governor of bangkok - what's he done since taking office - (pose for photos?) - nothing.

i'll give you a choice between the TRT and Democrats, who do you think is more corrupt ( actually the kind of corrupt that is rub in your face and you can't do anything about it. )

Every Party have a corrupt person, but how far is the corruption

for TRT there is no limit over and over again, and yes they rub it in your face, and who to stop them.

the Democrats didn't ask to win, they know they cannot, all the ask for is the power to check and balance, if mr.T step outta hand, (most likely he will), the Democrat is there to put him back in place, so what happen now if Mr.T step outta hand, the Thai people will pay the price.

Edited by chingy_

Apart from having a cool name - I don't think the Democrats were ever effective in power.

State-level corruption in Thailand is not all political - there's plenty of unelected Civil Servants (eg at Tourism Authority of Thailand) who are incredibly dirty, constantly thieving from budget, and are nothing to do with Thai Rak Thai.

However, to answer you - lets assume you're right - that TRT politicans are favouring their own businesses with sweetheart deals. ok, but i'd tolerate that in return for results in other economic and public service arenas.

With Democrat Government, less corruption but zero accomplishments.

Voters wanted a 'Strongman'.

ps Voters here are probably not au fait with 'tactical voting' - to give Democrats the 'checks and balances'. Democrats campaigned on the basis of already having lost. That's not a very appealing platform.

Edited by The_Moog

When they were in power they were quite capable of lining their own pockets. (Sanan Kachornprasart - one of the most corrupt people in politics was an ex-party member)

He is/was appears to be the No 1 top of the hit list of evil forces that everyone(Thais) I know seem to talk about...... albiet very quietly.

Must admit I dont know much about him but he seems to be demonised as a crosssomewhere between Joe S,Adolf H and old Nik :o

TRT party is for dreamer, Democrat bring you back to reality

where do you think the money are coming from, not from exporting rice and shrimp, people hyp is the best method to get a country up and going, but at the end of the day who will pay.

its not about winning to serve a country, it about check and balance with out that, there is no different of being dictatorship

i have to agree they lost very badly in Bangkok, (bangkok have the most educated people, even so they lost badly, if the smart can't get their act together how do you expect the rest of the country will.

Well, you're dead right . In Bangkok, Democrats didn't really capture much voter attention.

Sure, Thaksin is hyping his country like any salesman will. Thais seem to like this Nationalist Strongman.

He can now put through a genuinely radical plan -.... if he has one ! He does have an authentic mandate (Not like George W's).

Perhaps he will shut all the go go bars overnight - who knows !

This could be an very exciting time to be in Thailand - but on the other hand.......

who are we to talk about politics in Thailand, we can't even vote, helll we don't even have rights
he Democrats didn't ask to win, they know they cannot, all the ask for is the power to check and balance, if mr.T step outta hand, (most likely he will), the Democrat is there to put him back in place, so what happen now if Mr.T step outta hand, the Thai people will pay the price.

right on both accounts, chingy. they knew well before hand about the in your face corruption, the fact there are no checks and balances, perhaps peronal rights and freedom dashed away, personal land taken away by the goverment through a royal decree to build tourism and to benefit those in power. when and if this happens, i will not feel sorry for any thai living here. this is what they wanted, they knew the potential risks involved, and they now have their wish. a one party government who a blank check in hand. times have changed here. a poll last wek (sorry i don't have the link, but it was from the bangkok post) found more people wanted money and wealth over everything else here, inlcuding the soutern problem. i hope all their wishes do come true and that they all become stinking rich. if it doesn't, oh well...i'm only a foreigner here, what do i know?

Hey Orion

As a relatively newcomer to this site, I enjoy the banter and the views that I read.

I have to say your latest piece is total nonsense!!!!

I dont know how long you have been here, it sounds to me as not very long. If you beleive that Thaksin cannot and will not affect our life style, then you are living in dreamworld.. Here is a power hungry egotistical man who will stop at nothing until he has got everything he wants.

It has nothing to do with closing Pat Pong and other areas early. If you think that was done as a moral crusade then again I think you are the most naive person in Thailand.

Finally, I think to basically say that most farangs over here only know Thaksin because of the closure of these places is ludicrous. I abhor the man and get sickened listening to his cover ups and lies time after time, from the chickn flu saga to the drugs arrests/ deaths to Tak Bai.

I love Thailand and the people. I really fear what this man is capable of

I have been here for seven years and was here most of the previous PM's time in office, were you?

If you were then feel free to set me straight and explain how the previous PM was better for Thailand than Taksin :o

Interestingly, in all the 3 Deep South provinces, TRT was shut out and it was sweep for the Democrats. Now if only Thaksin had managed to slaughter more Thais in more provinces... the Democrats could have contended more closely on a national scope.

Need to recheck your facts here John...from today's Post

"Thai Rak Thai popularity in the three Muslim-dominated southernmost provinces surged yesterday, with the party reportedly taking eight of the 11 House seats"

I think you'l find it was the Trang /Krabi/ Phuket area that Democrats did ok.

Election results to be officially endorsed on Feb 25

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission of Thailand (EC) will officially announce its endorsement of Sunday's general election on 25 February,

"The EC will officially endorse the election results, both those of the party-list based votes and the constituency-based votes, on 25 February", an election commissioner, Pol. Gen. Charupat Ruangsuwan, told TNA today after a meeting of the secretaries-general of the cabinet and the House of Representatives, and the Lord Chamberlain at the EC headquarters here this afternoon.

"The date was agreed at the meeting, as the new government wants to submit a new cabinet line-up to His Majesty the King for his Royal endorsement on 26 February", he disclosed.

According to the constitution, the EC is to officially announce its endorsement of a general election results within 30 days.

The designated 25 February is, therefore, 11 days before the dateline.

"Petitions on election frauds are to be quickly examined and submitted to the EC by 14 February so that red or yellow cards will be issued by 25 February. In some cases, the issue of the red and yellow cards may have to be adjourned after 25 February, if nescessary", he noted.

The EC Secretary-General, Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai Warunprapa, told TNA that the EC could partly endorse the official election results on 11 February.

The re-election, needed in some election units where flaws were found in the Sunday's election, like insufficient ballots or mismatching of the number of ballots and the number of voters, will be held by 20 February, according to the EC.

The by-election dates to elect new MPs replacing those holding red or yellow cards would be later announced, the EC said.

The election watchdog announced that it had been reported on official results of 45 constituencies across the country as of this evening--33 in Bangkok and the rest in provincial areas.

The EC said unofficial results of all constituencies with no petitions of flaws or frauds should be announced by Tuesday morning.

The election watchdog attributed the delay on protests in some constituencies during vote count and difficulties in transporting ballot boxes in some remote areas.

Earlier, the EC projected that the unofficial election results should be announced by Monday morning.

Until this afternoon, the Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was said to have won 364 seats out of a total of 500 seats in the House of Representatives--297 seats from the constituency-based votes and 67 seats from the party-list based votes, according to the unofficial results.

The Democrat Party has reportedly won 92 seats--67 seats from the constituency-based votes and 25 seats from the party-list based votes.

The Chat Thai Party has reportedly won 30 seats--22 seats from the constituency-based votes and 8 seats from the party-list based votes.

The newly-established Mahachon Party was said to have won two seats, both from the constituency-based votes.

The EC announced that 73% of eligible voters turned out to exercise their rights in the Sunday's general election.

The EC earlier forecast that 60-65% of eligible voters would cast the ballots.

--TNA 2005-02-07

Interestingly, in all the 3 Deep South provinces, TRT was shut out and it was sweep for the Democrats. Now if only Thaksin had managed to slaughter more Thais in more provinces... the Democrats could have contended more closely on a national scope.

Need to recheck your facts here John...from today's Post

"Thai Rak Thai popularity in the three Muslim-dominated southernmost provinces surged yesterday, with the party reportedly taking eight of the 11 House seats"

I think you'l find it was the Trang /Krabi/ Phuket area that Democrats did ok.

HMMMM....... something's not quite right??!! WHO did win??!!

Voters rejected eight out of 11 former MPs who ran under the Thai Rak Thai banner following a merger between that party and the New Aspiration Party, as well as those who defected from the opposition Democrat Party.

Even more embarrassing was that some Thai Rak Thai members lost their seats to political novices.

With the Democrats’ clean sweep, the once highly praised Wadah faction of Deputy Prime Minister Wan Muhamad Noor Matha has effectively lost its clout and mandate.

Moreover, the government’s massive economic packages have failed to cause people to turn a blind eye to what they see as brutality against fellow Muslims in the region.

“We don’t want his money. A big mountain of cash pouring into the south could not save people’s lives,” Klee said. “The dead cannot spend money.”

Srisompob agreed that the absence of Thai Rak Thai MPs in the region does not mean that Thaksin cannot initiate a dialogue with local people.

Edited by sriracha john

and this just in:

Southern voters reject TRT

Published on Feb 07 , 2005

Most southern voters and Thai Muslims voted against PrimeMinister Thaksin Shinawatra in Sunday's general elections to show their disapproval of the government's failure to stem the continuing violence in south.

Thaksin was surprised by the outcome since he expected victories for some of his 11 candidates in the three restive southern provinces, and said the unofficial results served as a "wake-up call" for his government.

However, Thaksin insisted he would not change his approach to what he refers to as a "law and order" ussue.

Umm...I forgot to run my campaign! Golf didn't get elected...hoooo!

Well, Mr. Taksin is not win over the South for sure. That's what I expected. The Southmost issue will remain the same and even worst from now.

Taksin: "We love and care all of the Muslims there. See I even fold the paper bird myself!"

Taksin: "We understand that they are differences in cultures down in the South. We will use 'political leads army' strategy to deal with the problem."

What really happened : "KILL THEM ALL!!! Use the force and crush them!"

HEHEHE

Edited by Golf

hello issan alex. its been good to talk to you. I knew ubon since around 1970. (yes, usa Vietnam days, but Im English!!!))

different from here in North Thailand. Good luck to you and who knows what we will be talking of in 4 years, probably all in the Bangkok Hilton Foyer!

all the best Pip

:o

Nice talking as well.

And I don't know where you'll be, but I'll be in Canada, more likely than not. :D

IA

Umm...I forgot to run my campaign!  Golf didn't get elected...hoooo! 

see? I told you that you should run for office Golf.... oh well, maybe in 4 years?  :D  

What really happened : "KILL THEM ALL!!!  Use the force and crush them!"

yes, he did.... literally and figuretively...  :o

Edited by sriracha john

PM decides to form single-party govt

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to form a new single-party government.

The caretaker prime minister told TNA here yesterday that he had finally decided to form the single-party government after phoning the Chat Thai Party's leader, Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa.

"Mr. Banharn told me that my Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party now has enough seats in the House of Representatives to form the single-party government, and said that he would explain his reasons to the public himself", said the Thai leader.

Asked this means that the Chat Thai Party has opted to join the opposition, Mr. Thaksin said:

"it appears to be like that.".

Asked whether the TRT Party and the Chat Thai Party still maintain their sound relations, the prime minister said:"Yes, I still respect Mr. Banharn as usual."

The TRT Party and the Chat Thai Party formed a coalition government in the past four years.

Earlier, Mr. Thaksin said that he would talk with Mr. Banharn first before deciding what his new administration should be.

The TRT won a landslide victory in Sunday's general election, securing over 370 seats, out of a total of 500 seats, in the House so far, according to unofficial results of the election announced by local media Monday evening.

Mr. Banharn later told TNA that he had informed Mr. Thaksin of his intention to shift his Chat Thai Party to the opposition side.

"This is because I consider it should not be appropriate for the Chat Thai Party to join in a new government coalition, as the TRT Party now has enough seats to form the new government by its own. Participation of the Chat Thai Party in the opposition will also help maintain the 'balance and check' of the parliamentary system. Without the Chat Thai Party, the main opposition Democrat Party will not be able to lodge any censure motions against cabinet members", he explained.

The Democrat Party has secured less than 100 seats in the House, far below its target of 201 seats, according to the unofficial election results.

Mr. Banharn promised, however, that the Chat Thai Party would support Mr. Thaksin as the next prime minister.

The Chat Thai Party's leader announced the decision after a meeting of the party's executives at the party's headquarters here yesterday.

--TNA 2005-02-08

Re-election set on Feb 9

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission of Thailand (EC) has set 9 February for the re-election date of some election units in which flaws were found in the last Sunday's general election.

The EC's Secretary-General, Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai Warunprapa, told TNA yesterday that the EC had agreed to organize the re-election in the 51st and 56th election units of constituency 1 of the southern province of Trang, as well as in the 3rd election unit of constituency 2 of the southern Satun Province and the 8th election unit of constituency 5 of the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

"The re-election in the units, due to mismatching between the number of ballots and the number of voters turning out to exercise their rights in the last Sunday's election, will be all held on 9 February", he said.

The EC could partly announce its official endorsement of election results in some provinces where there were no petitions of flaws or frauds by 11 February, he disclosed.

Nearly 390 petitions of flaws or frauds have been lodged to the election watchdog so far, with over 200 having been accepted for probs, according to Pol. Maj. Gen. Ekachai.

The election watchdog announced yesterday that it would announce its official endorsement of election results in all constituencies across the country on 25 February.

--TNA 2005-02-08

Democrats to nominate acting leader on Friday

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leading members will this Friday decide on the acting leader and secretary general to replace Banyat Banthattan and Pradit Patraprasit who respectively tendered their resignations after the party's humiliating defeat in last Sunday's general election.

Most of the 17 members in the executive committee showed up at the Democrat headquarters this morning to discuss the matter after Banyat and Pradit called it quits. Those nominated by the executive committee will become acting leader and secretary general while a general meeting will have to be held within 90 days to elect the new heads.

The party executives this morning discussed the issue of the opposition's limitation in its role in the House of Representatives in case the opposition bloc has less than 125 seats.

According to the constitution, the opposition needs at least 125 votes to call for a no-confidence debate against a Cabinet member. There has been a concern that the three possible parties in the opposition bloc, namely Democrat, Chat Thai and Mahachon, would win less than 125 seats. An official vote count has yet to be announced by the Election Commission.

--TNA 2005-02-08

Good riddance to ya, Sanan... :o

Published on February 08, 2005

Some long-established political families and their often tailor-made political parties bit the dust on Sunday

Their dash is done – many powerful families who ruled politics like feudal lords and barons for decades have been brutally excised by vengeful voters.

The defeat of the likes of Maj-General Sanan Kachornprasart and Vatana Asavahame and their flunkeys is unprecedented – and final in most cases.

“I committed a political blunder. It is time for me to end my career,” Sanan said yesterday as he stared at the ruins of his political dynasty. Now he will slip quietly into retirement and spend his days supervising his winery and ostrich farm.

His son, Siriwat, failed in a re-election bid in Phichit, which long had been the Kachornprasart family fiefdom. The Mahachon Party, which Sanan co-founded after splitting from the Democrats in an effort to revive his flagging political fortunes, campaigned aggressively across the country, but flopped miserably and is likely to win only one seat.

Sanan was once Thailand’s most powerful political figure. A former interior minister, he was the Democrat Party’s secretary-general during the 1990s when it twice ran the country. But the rot set in when the Constitution Court ruled him guilty of filing a false assets-declaration in 2000.

Sanan was banned from politics for five years.

Although the struggling Democrats lured him back into the fold as “election-centre chief” last year, Sanan soon quit to join Mahachon as chief adviser.

New cabinet to be materialized in mid March, says PM

BANGKOK: -- The new cabinet is expected to be materialized by mid March, Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has announced.

The prime minister told journalists here this morning that he was considering who would be members of the new cabinet, and expected that the new cabinet line-up would be materialized by the middle of next month.

Earlier, the Thai leader said that many outsiders who are experts in specific areas could be invited to join in his new cabinet.

He announced yesterday that his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party would form a single-party government after the Chat Thai Party had decided to stay in the opposition side, following a landslide victory of the TRT Party in the last Sunday's general election.

According to unofficial election results announced by local media this morning, the TRT has swept 374 seats, out of the 500 seats in total, of the House of Representatives so far--307 from the constituency-based votes and the rest 67 seats from the party-list based votes--overwhelmingly surpassing its political rival parites.

Democrat Party and the Chat Thai Party have won less than 100 seats and less than 30 seats totally so far, while the Mahachon Party has secured only one seat.

The TRT and the Chat Thai Parties joined in the previous coalition government.

Mr. Thaksin said that he was also considering proposing TRT candidates to run for the posts of House Speaker and two Deputies House Speakers.

Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang, Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Wan Muhamad Noor Matha and Justice Minister Pongthep Thepkanjana are reportedly among the candidates, according to the local media.

The prime minister was scheduled to pay a fresh visit to the country's deep South tomorrow, but yesterday postponed the trip until 15-17 February, saying that he still felt weak from the election campaign and was catching a cold.

Despite the landslide victory, the TRT Party failed to win even a single seat in the country's three troubled provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, where the spate of violent unrest has emerged since early last year, leaving more than 700 casualties so far.

--TNA 2005-02-08

Someone commented about the election signs coming down so fast well that's because the people want them so that they can recycle the paper and get money. The Thai people are poor and uneducated. The people who control this place don't care about that fact. The wealthy are corrupt and don't give a ###### about the rest of the country. I like to think of Thailand like this:

Thai land, Chinese government.

Am I wrong about this?