Phuket Police: Aussie Arrest No Laughing Matter

george

I feel like I have to keep reminding people that are obviously not reading the thread and have very little information so they keep calling her a thief. The accused did not steal anything, in fact the item in question never left the bar, this is not my opinion, this is fact. Another person has already confessed to putting the item in her bag without the accused's knowledge, not only that but the staff or off duty police actually witnessed another person put it in the accused's bag, they already knew she did not put it in there herself, this is also fact. How do these 2 facts together make the accused guilty of thievery? They do not. Everything else is completely unimportant. The only one that should be in trouble right now is the one who actually put the item in the accused's bag in front of witnesses and possibly on video.

The friends of the accused said they had video proof that the accused did not steal the bar mat, I have no idea if they meant the bars cc video, this is not fact and they could be wrong unless they meant they had their own digital camera/phone video.

What is not fact: That she was abusive and did a runner. This is a statement by the bar owner only and he was not there. Nobody else has made this claim except the accused who admitted to running across the road to get out of the rain when they already told her she could go and admitting to crying and being emotionally distraught when in custody of the police. Also when she ran across the road she was chased down by bar staff, not police, the staff then brought her to a police box to get the police involved. At least that was her statement and no one else has said the police had to chase her down except the bar owner who again, was not even there.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No matter who you think is in the right or wrong i am baffled by the Thai Police stance...

In this day and age Phucket needs all the tourists they can get hold of ..... this can only keep more people away

Theft of something worth the equivalent of two week wgaes.

Resisting arrest.

Verbally abusing the law enforcers.

Petty crime, why lock her up?

Chaps, what country in the world would not bang Sheila up for the offenses she committed?

austrailia because the jails would be full and the streets empty!

Or maybe the same country that allows its own citizens Hijack an international airport without being punished???

Oops... my mistake that is the country would throw her jail...

In defence of guys that run bars in Patong I have to say that most the Aussie sheila's that visit there have to be the most despicable, uncouth, foul mouthed pieces of the outbacks of Australia. Commonly termed Okka's in their own country and they are the ones that Bali was happy to be rid of. I feel for Steve and the Aussie bar as I know his integrity and high standards of fellowship are second to none. This comes from a guy who ran a Pub of similiar size to the Aussie bar and believe me I think Steve did well to withdraw charges. I would have preferred to see her rot for a while.

I can't believe this mountain being made of a mole hill........................ but I have just cancelled my booking for 4 of us and probably won't be going again........... and I will bet that the owner of the AUSSIE BAR bar owner has a couple mis-deeds to his record as well.............

By canceling your trip you have indeed made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Congrats.

hehe!!! funny reply!!

and, Whats the odds that the Aussie Bar changes its name after all this is done?

it would be nice if the owner gets a hefty loss in clientèle from this too,, (as he has really shown his lack of humanity) though I guess if the bar changes its name, it will be back to "business as usual" !

i bet it changes its name as not to many Aussies will drink there now including this one maybe he changes his name to the barmat bar

Sorry, wrong ! Ive just come from there, place is buzzing, packed with Aussies, more people than usual for this time of the day (3pm). Lots of high spirits, jokes, laughing and taking lots of photos, mainly involving beer mats. Had to re-order more stock as they cant keep up with beer mat sales.

Every single Aussie in there is supporting the bar and Thailand in general. Not one person is supporting the thief and are all agreeing that she stole, she got caught and should accept the consequences. Note: YES, these are AUSSIE customers in the bar saying this.

Sorry to disappoint you doom mongers, just giving you the facts as & when they happen. :)

I HOPE THE THAI POLICE READ THIS QUOTE: AND THE TOURIST BOARD, I LIVED IN THAILAND FOR TWO YEARS WITH MY THAI WIFE HOWEVER WE HAD TWO WONDERFULL CHILDREN. AND I THOUGHT BETTER TO GET THEM TO THE WEST FOR A WHILE AND SAFETY, READ ABOUT THIS CASE AND TAKE HEAD ANOTHER MAN WAS JAILED AND DEPORTED A YEAR LATER FOR STEALING TWO TOWELS FROM A FIVE STAR HOTEL ON PHUKET. LOOK AT HOW MANY "SUICIDES" HA THERE ARE OF FARANG BELIEVE ME IT RUNS INTO THOUSANDS A YEAR ,HEADS HANGING IN CARRIAR BAGS ON A ROPE, PEOPLE WITH MONEY FALLING FROM A FIRST FLOOR BALCONY WITH EVERY BONE BROKEN IN THIER BODY, FALLEN OVER IN THE BATHROOM WITH MULTIPLE INJURIES, A FRENCH GUY GRABBING AN OFFICERS GUN OFF HIM AND SHOOTING HIM SELF TWICE TWICE IN THE HEAD, HOW THE FXXX CAN YOU SHOOT YOURSELF TWICE IN THE HEAD, I, MY FAMILY, MY FRIENDS, THIER FRIENDS WILL AVOID VISITING THAILAND FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS UNTIL THEY GET SOME REFORM AND THE MILITARY COOS HAVE STOPPED, THEY HAVE TO STOP JAILING TOURISTS FOR PETTY CRIMES, YES FINE THEM PUT A WARNING STAMP IN THIER PASSPORTS, ALL THE THAI JUDGES AND LAWERS ARE EDUCATED IN THE WESTERN UNIVERSITEIS THEN WHY DONT THEY TAKE WESTERN JUDGMENTS, I WOULDNT LET MY CHILDREN BE BROUGHT UP IN THAT COUNTRY, ITS FAR TOO CORRUPT, TOO MANY BACK HANDERS, SMILING POLICE MEN I LOVE THAILAND AND ITS MONARCY BUT I HATE THE SYSTEM STAY CLEAR TOURISTS UNTIL THEY REALISE REFORM

Edit:

Please refrain from putting yuor entire text in cppital lettetrs. It is considered shouting - mario2008

I will be down there on 30th May and will go in special :) I usually avoid it due to loud ozzy tourists but I think the owner needs some support in this..... and he will get it!

Please feel free to take your foul mouth and opinions elsewhere.

Edited by Mario2008
quoted text deleted per forum rules - mario2008

The problem is that all those tourists immediately notify the embassy and make a big deal out of it. So the story appears in the press and than the fear of losing face grips the authorities. As soon as your name shows up in the newspapers you are screwed.

Everybody understands this superior, however nobody understands why undercover police was present and worse why an bar owner presses charges. Something fishy is obviously going on in that bar.

Maybe he is one of those expat Farangs that hate white women (especially from his own country).

She's looked around his bar then gave him the old "I know what you're upto you low life sex addict" look.

He's gone into trigger mode after all the nasty experiences with Aussie women throughout his life.

First chance he gets he slams one of them in jail.

Simple really :)

Not a good situation with a "war of words" and both sides digging in to their positions. The Thai police colonel defending his men's actions and the Australian press making the story front page news (which I am in favor of.)

What ever went down, it looks like the Phuket authorities are not backing down on this one.

Just simply typical of the police in this country. The whole country only wants our money and doesn't really want us to be there for our charm. I am glad to be back in a civilised country after spending years there and I think more and more tourists are beginning to think that way too. I hope the lady gets back to see her kids soon as.

I think that it is important that she gets back to see her kids and she can explain to them that she was held by the bad police for stealing a $5 beer mat that is why the poor children have been made to wait for the return of their parents who did not take them on holiday with them.

The typical police action of any country even if they don't speak the same language is to arrest THIEVES, maybe not in your civilised country.

oh ..la .. la

Typical police action to arrest thieves? Which of your favorite childhood stories are you quoting from Sir?

1. Police don't arrest thieves but SUSPECTS. It's up to the court to determine their guilt. Although this is not clear at all to Thai public or Thai police.

2. Thai police maybe is not typical because they don't do anything without monetary or other interest of their own in the case.

I have things stolen from me numerous times by Thai nationals and couldn't even bother going with that to police because I don't want to waste my time. Thais steal things routinely from foreigners here (money, mobile phones, clothes, digi cameras) and that is even considered by other Thais kind of "patriotic". They believe all foreigners are undeservedly rich and taking from rich to give to poor is okie especially it it it them who benefit.

Now few other points that were mentioned here earlier:

3. Tourist Police is a joke like many other things here. I also initially though that they are here to assist tourists. Bad mistake .. they are ment to police tourists. Okie, also to be a front window for the real police who don't speak English and do not really want to waste their precious time dealing with petty foreigner issues.

Tourist Police have no any real power and is a waste of time. many of them are not even policemen but local foreigners "helping" police out. They have to refer all cases to the real police so head straight to the proper police if you need some assistance.

4. Thai Police is very underpaid. The cannot make living out of their earnings alone. Therefore it is accepted that if someone needs police they have to pay them to do the job. It is impossible that the lady in this case was approached and dealt with by plain-cloth police without them actually being connected with the ownership of the bar. The police may even feel that they are the real owners and the Aussie guy may be there just as puppet. This would be one more reason to AVOID THE AUSSIE BAR.

As the story proves dealings with Thai Police can be very dangerous and not worth a drink at the bar even if it was free.

Many bars and especially night clubs are controlled/connected with police or mafia in here. Actually both of these categories are almost one since nobody calls themselves mafia. We are talking here about empowered networks of local people who can do very nasty staff to protect their income and spheres of influence. The police fits that description. It is one of the reasons why the police are feared by local Thai people who often believe the police can kill them at will. Any policeman in Thai society is considered a VIP.

5. The government may even not be quite in control of the police and unable to fix the image of tourism in Thailand problem by giving the "friendly" Phuket boss a toss.

6. I am really against all of the people talking badly about the Aussie woman who is a victim here. Some of the posts sound like they just know she was guilty, calling here a silly cow and things like that. What prove do you have of her guilt? Have you been there and seen her taking the mat?

This is especially unfortunate that foreigners/white people can never feel and show solidarity with one another. On the contrary Thais seem always to stick up for other Thais no matter of what have they done and how deep the hole they are in. For those Farang here who seem to know the local customs so well and always take the Thai side: can't you learn something from Thais in the end?

7. I hope this story have something to learn from for everyone but especially the Phuket authorities. I hope it ends soon for the accused lady who was not served justice no matter how much was she involved in the actual offence. The punishment simply doesn't fit the crime here even if those bar mats are worth 60 bucks. She has the right not to admit guilt and doesn't have any obligation to be polite and thankful to her oppressors.

I think that it is important that she gets back to see her kids and she can explain to them that she was held by the bad police for stealing a $5 beer mat that is why the poor children have been made to wait for the return of their parents who did not take them on holiday with them.

The typical police action of any country even if they don't speak the same language is to arrest THIEVES, maybe not in your civilised country.

Are you capable of being unbiased and objective? Another person has admitted that she planted the bar mat in Ms Smoel's purse and the guilty party did report that to the police - who were not interested and have continued to hold the accuseds pass port.

Add one more to the long list of reasons why tourists will avoid Thailand. As if Phuket wasn't already in bad enough shape- what in the world were the coppers thinking?! :)

It appears as though stealing is a crime in Thailand. Do the crime, pay the fine, or serve the time.

Whats going to happen to the police woman who's done a bunk with 50 million baht? Now that's no laughing matter

If the lady concerned or the supposed friends who were supposed to have taken the splashmat, had tried to do the same in a bar or club in the valley in Brisbane, just for starters they would have got a severe kickin from the security staff, what happened was theft!!next time you aussie complainers go down to your local RSL, try walking out with a splashmat see how far you get!! :)

I HOPE THE THAI POLICE READ THIS QUOTE: AND THE TOURIST BOARD, I LIVED IN THAILAND FOR TWO YEARS WITH MY THAI WIFE HOWEVER WE HAD TWO WONDERFULL CHILDREN. AND I THOUGHT BETTER TO GET THEM TO THE WEST FOR A WHILE AND SAFETY, READ ABOUT THIS CASE AND TAKE HEAD ANOTHER MAN WAS JAILED AND DEPORTED A YEAR LATER FOR STEALING TWO TOWELS FROM A FIVE STAR HOTEL ON PHUKET. LOOK AT HOW MANY "SUICIDES" HA THERE ARE OF FARANG BELIEVE ME IT RUNS INTO THOUSANDS A YEAR ,HEADS HANGING IN CARRIAR BAGS ON A ROPE, PEOPLE WITH MONEY FALLING FROM A FIRST FLOOR BALCONY WITH EVERY BONE BROKEN IN THIER BODY, FALLEN OVER IN THE BATHROOM WITH MULTIPLE INJURIES, A FRENCH GUY GRABBING AN OFFICERS GUN OFF HIM AND SHOOTING HIM SELF TWICE TWICE IN THE HEAD, HOW THE FXXX CAN YOU SHOOT YOURSELF TWICE IN THE HEAD, I, MY FAMILY, MY FRIENDS, THIER FRIENDS WILL AVOID VISITING THAILAND FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS UNTIL THEY GET SOME REFORM AND THE MILITARY COOS HAVE STOPPED, THEY HAVE TO STOP JAILING TOURISTS FOR PETTY CRIMES, YES FINE THEM PUT A WARNING STAMP IN THIER PASSPORTS, ALL THE THAI JUDGES AND LAWERS ARE EDUCATED IN THE WESTERN UNIVERSITEIS THEN WHY DONT THEY TAKE WESTERN JUDGMENTS, I WOULDNT LET MY CHILDREN BE BROUGHT UP IN THAT COUNTRY, ITS FAR TOO CORRUPT, TOO MANY BACK HANDERS, SMILING POLICE MEN I LOVE THAILAND AND ITS MONARCY BUT I HATE THE SYSTEM STAY CLEAR TOURISTS UNTIL THEY REALISE REFORM

Obviously an ex Pattaya resident....

Never heard of any of the above incidents happening in Phuket. Apart from criminals getting banged up for committing petty crimes.

OK folks it is now ok to steal anything that takes your fancy because the owner of the business will increase the price so that it becomes economically sensable for you to steal from him .

Now that would mean that 1 night in a hotel would have to go up in price by the cost of 2 sets of towels 1 fruit bowl and all the light bulbs. The price of a bottle of beer would be increased by the cost of the soap dispencer in the mens room added to a couple of ashtrays.

Behave your self it is not me who is doing the stealing it is the thief so let the thief pay with either their hard earned money or with a bit of time in an uncomfortable jail then maybe the thief would THINK about their actions.

RIGHT IS RIGHT WRONG IS WRONG no need to value the crime!!!!!

No it is not OK to steal something but businesses have to accept that it happens. They have to come to a compromise about the amount that they are willing to provide for customer use and then a strategy to avoid these things "taking a walk". It is then in the hotels interest to provide a discreet exit from the situation (if they are stolen) by giving the guests a chance to return or buy the item. No business would want the publicity of this farce that is unfolding.

Everyone has to be practical that this happens, but for it to end in this type of scenario would put anyone off a holiday.

You ask any major hotel here what their strategy would be for this kind of situation and I am sure you will find that getting the involvement of the Thai police would come nowhere on their list.

I fully understand the strategy of any major hotel chain, however they do not always catch the thief, the loss has to be paid for and it is you and me who end up footing the bill for the actions of a thief. Maybe if the hotel chain took the correct action by reporting the crime to the police future thefts would be avoided. I am also certain that the average honest person would not be put off using the services of a hotel chain that was activly trying to reduce costs by prosicuting thieves.

there is more to this story than reported...the owner is definitely an a-hole or involved with the accused emotionally....

any bar owner knows the stolen cheap crap is free advertising..

if it was me I would let the lady go..this guy is for sure a farang kee nok......

Edited by jellymeister

Fact is they tried to steal something and were not successful. So jail greets them. What is so special about this story. Should the Thai police say to them "no problem". I am happy that they did not take my wallet and that they are not around anymore. Such people are a shame for us all.

This is pathetic and yet another nail in the coffin of 'Thailand, land of sillyness'.

I had my laptop stolen and I knew the guy who did it, I went to the police station and told the police. I gave them his number which I had got from a friend of his and they rung him. 1 hour later the guy turned up laptop in hand and the police let him go....they said no harm no foul !

There is little to no common sense in this country.

Here we go!

It was the major news story on all Australian news channels today 20/5. Apparently this happened 8 days ago!

Also a lot of other are coming out that similar accusations have taken place at this same bar to many others... especially teenagers, and been released after paying the staff!

Staff accusing teenagers of stealing bar mats and security guards hand cuffing the teen agers while the owner and AUSSIE! gave them verbal and degrading abuse in front of all the bar patrons!

This owner must be on some sort of ego high there. Is he a king? His own security guards that can handcuff patrons!

This is really starting to smell........for the owner and the staff at the bar...

This has happened many times before but the police never got involved.

What happened has this sleezy Aussie owner got the police to put a little red police box there in his bar and pay them 1,000 baht a month for "protection" when the going gets tough and people won't pay up!

They should arrest him and his Thai Mrs. who probably runs the bar!

Ovenman asked:
So again I ask... where were they during all of this?

Well, I can't answer personally because I wasn't patrolling that night. But since there are usually only 2 foreign TPVs on duty each night in the whole of Bangla road and the surrounding streets, it is not surprising if this incident was missed. If the tourists (or bar staff) did not call 1155 to summons the patrolling officers to the bar, then those officers might have been streets away at the time...

We can only try to help when we are aware of the incident :)

Understood that the foreign Tourist Police volunteers cannot be everywhere at once but are you saying that there is no internal protocol within the police itself that would alert the volunteers that their services may be required somewhere?

Edit:

Please refrain from putting yuor entire text in cppital lettetrs. It is considered shouting - mario2008

Mate you definitely have deeper issues than can be handled on this forum...no country would would want someone like you as a visitor unless you are in a straight jacket so crawl back in your troll hole and learn how to use the caps lock key

Well, England got rid of the theives to Australia now looks like we are sending them off else where.

I run a pub in Australia and all my patrons know I wouldn't stand for them stealing a bar mat but I don't think we would go to the extent they have in Thailand.

I think the story is not quite all there. Bit like an iceberg.

Carl

Yep,

Aussie, Aussie

Aussie comes to Thailand

Aussie goes to Aussie bar

Aussie pulls a dumb move on "ex" Aussie lover

"ex" Aussie lover cant take it.

Simple facts.

I have heard of a swedish couple behind bars in the same Phuket for pulling such a dumb move; Theft from "ex" boyfriend store. Anyways theft is theft and whoever she did it to got her.

This is an example to all you out there who take revenge by following your "ex" to a place you think you could as well go and "FHU". Yes, Thailand is "NO JOKE" as mentioned earlier.

Whaaatt?!?!?! where the F$#% did THAT come from???? :)

So whats Steve Woods story, he's a bar owner in Phuket, how long has he been living their, have the police checked his passport visa, any dodgy stamps in the passport? does he have a work permit, as we all know its ok to own a bar, but illegal to change a light bulb without one.

All your licenses ok Steve? Music License? close at the right time, are your girls available for hire? health certificates? employing prostitutes?

What about your bar paraphernalia, was that all obtained legally? or lifted from some bars in Australia?

Have i missed anything the defense should be looking into? LOL

Edited by bartender100

I don't see what all the hubbub is about.

A lady was caught leaving a bar with bar property. She was arrested, charged with theft and is now awaiting trial. She's now got an attorney who will assure her that her rights are observed, and attempt to get her out of jail with a plea bargin and a fine. If she does go to trial her Aussie 'friends' who claim they put the article in her bag will have an opportunity to testify on her behalf - and at their own peril.

Why is this such a big deal?

This is so ridiculous that it isn't funny.

Mr. has described to many sources that the police chased the lady down the beach. Mr. Wood wasn't even at the club so his statements about the incident are not important. Mr. Wood says he did not press charges. Mr. Wodd has asserted in several interview that the lady was abusive to the police. The police do not make this charge. They charge night theft. What allows Mr. Wood to continue this absurd assertions in the face of the facts.since it has been reported that Mr. was not even present. The police says that the owner pressed charges. Someone is lying. Witnesses at the bar say the police initially told the lady she could go but then the bar staff restrained her and insisted the police arrest her. It seems to me that the law was broken here and those bar staff who restrained the lady should be charged because the police had already told her she could go. This smells like a very bad shakedown regardless of whose side you take. I sincerely hope that no one in their right mind will spend another bath in this place. Mr Wood has behaved very badly. Even if you think the lady intentionally took the mat, the bar staff and Mr. Wood should have stopped all this nonsense and been paid for this stupid mat. I see all of Mr. Wood friends coming to his defense sayin how great a guy he is. Well folks his actions seem to reflect more a "jerk".

I have lived here 15 years and perversion of the law seems occur more frequently ever year.

Are you capable of being unbiased and objective? Another person has admitted that she planted the bar mat in Ms Smoel's purse and the guilty party did report that to the police - who were not interested and have continued to hold the accuseds pass port.

and your point is?

the getaway driver in a bank robbery is he a part of the crime or just an inocent party???

Call this biased or not it is the point crime is crime !!!!

Maybe the bar owner was just so fed up of having these (trophy's) nicked, he just made a stand this time.

Only problem now is i think he is going to be bottleless and withdraw the charges.

He could stand for being an MP if he does, as they always backpedal British or Australian at the first sign of bad press.

I don't know this guy from adam, just fed up of men not being men anymore.

Stand by your actions and be a man. The courts will decide if she nicked it or not.