Putu94

Many snakes we have around our house.

Is this snake dangerous?

they are up to 1.5 mtr

what is the name of this snake?

thanks for info

Edited by Putu94

Yeah ^^^ looks like a Keelback.

It's always wise to treat and unknown snake as dangerous. That doesn't mean automatically kill it!!! Avoid and it will go its own way :)

Chequered keelback, Xenochrophis piscator. They will 'run' rather than fight, but if you corner it then it will put on a display and be quick to bite, but non-venomous.

Thanks to you all

Last week we found he whole nest in the kitchen ( under the sink) ( bij the way we live in the country, after the rain they come up to our garden )

The birds , we have, ,make many noise at the moment the snake is in the avery :) , only our Green Iguana stay on his place and is only looking :D

Greetings

There are 6 poison land snakes. If you hear someone call out Thai names:

1. งูจงอาง Ngu Jong-ang (King cobra)

2. งูเห่า Ngu Hao (Cobra)

3. งูกะปะ Ngu Ka-pa (The name has no meaning in Thai)

4. งูแมวเซา Ngu Maw-sao (Sleepy cat)

5. งูเขียวหางไหม้ Ngu Kaew-hang-mai (Burn tail green snake)

6. งูสามเหลี่ยม Ngu Sam-leam (Triangle snake)

Thanks for that Oldsparrow. Thats the most succinct and helpful description of the venomous ones I have yet seen. We also have a few hooded cobras around here which are almost black, but rarely seen.

Thanks for that Oldsparrow. Thats the most succinct and helpful description of the venomous ones I have yet seen. We also have a few hooded cobras around here which are almost black, but rarely seen.

Except even a cursory glance through Cox et al. counts twenty spp, labelled Venomous and either Dangerous and/or Potentially Fatal (excluding marine spp.).

Ophiophagus hannah

Includes Naja kaouthia (Monocellate), Naja siamensis (Indo-Chinese Spitting) and Naja sumatrana (Equatorial Spitting) Cobras

Calloselasma rhodostoma (Malayan Pit Viper)

Daboia russelii siamensis (Russell's Siamese Viper)

Green Pit Vipers - several spp. of similar appearance.

Bungarus fasciatus (Banded Krait)

There are also species that are classified as mildly venomous but can have dangerous bites, such as the Rhabdopsis keelbacks which have rear fangs and it's difficult for them to deliver venom unless they get a good chomp-on when severe symptoms can result. No fatalities in LOS though.

Edited by phaethon

continues snake story:

This morning (after our birds make many noise) I see our Iguana hit with his tail this "brown snake" ( I believe not dangerous)

The snake not survive , really amazing :) how the Iguana defend himself

You' re welcome krub.

Snake story:

About 3 years ago my aunt used to have 2 geese as pets, yes that bif white poultry in the garden. Her house is on Thonburi side of BKK. Their name were Donald and Daisy. They were clever, called the name and that one ran to her.

One day Daisy disappeared. The premise was well fense up and she didn't normally fly high...

One month later, Donald disappeared. They looked around and you can guess what they found...

One big fat Boa, 2 meters long...

She called the BKK Dusit Zoo, "Sorry Mame, catching snake is not our direct duty."

The Department of Forestry, "Well, you can considered living with it peacefully, human and snake is are not enemies, you can live together." The lady officer DID REALLY said this !!

The 191 Police, "Alright, please wait for a few minutes."

5 minutes later the local rescue volunteers came with the sack and snake catching stick, the cop on bike also came shortly after to observe.

They quickly pack up the snake and left without charge.

That day, police serve the public effectively.

The Boa is widely spread in BKK. They live near and commute by canel. Some cats in the Princess palace next to Siam Discovery were swallowed. Few years ago one took refuge in the Swiss Embassy. Those group should came from San-saeb Canel that runs between Sukhumvit and Petchburi Road.

PS: It's the Python they used for hanging on your neck for photo, it's gentle breed. But almost all of big STRAY snakes is Boa, it is aggressive and although poisonless, will try to bit you like a dog.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I live 300m from the road in a patch of swampy jungle near the Andaman coast. It is infested with snakes, mainly cobra, the biggest of which are up to about 2-3m, and we are checking off our various other varieties against the excellent little book, Snakes and Other Reptiles of Thailand and South-East Asia, available widely. We have no serious problems with our scaly friends, but there have been a few incidents, and the following tips may be useful:

1. Ignore them and they will ignore you. There is not much advantage to any common snake attacking a 75kg human, after all.

2. When working in a snake-infested area, tuck your trousers into your socks or boots; a snake looking for a refuge might climb up, and in a duel between a one-eyed and a two-eyed trouser snake, the two-eyed one will win. Ouch!

3. Take care when lifting or disturbing vegetation, etc, where snakes might be resting. Best to give a trial poke, stand back, and see what happens.

4. It's best not to do work outside at night; a. you may not see the snake, and b. kraits are nocturnal. Could be painful.

5. When you happen upon one, just stand still and it will slither away. Make sure you allow it an easy exit.

6. When excavating a termite hill and your pick comes up with egg yolk on it, get out of the way quick - cobra often lay their eggs under termite hills, mum might be nearby, and her maternal instincts will be strong. If you see her, jump sideways and run!

7. When clearing brush, don't leave an ever-diminishing island of brush in the middle of the area you're clearing. You'd be surprised what might be lurking in that last few square feet. I was, anyway.

8. Those who say they have got king cobra nearby probably haven't; these snakes live in deep jungle, are very shy and rarely seen. However when riled, one bite is capable of downing an elephant or 27 humans, so they say. Nasty.

9. Those who say that keelbacks are non-poisonous are wrong. They deliver haemotoxins, and are poisonous. A keelback is quite beautiful but rather cantankerous. A bit like a Thai Air hostess. Be warned.

10. An uninvited cobra in the house will withstand about ten to fifteen seconds of poking or physical attention before losing its rag and striking. Before facing off with the snake, arrange an exit, maybe some sheets of plywood to guide it in the right direction, and then apply firm persuasion with a broom, preferably standing on the other side of the plywood.

11. A snake can strike for a third of its length only. Cobra don't strike that quickly so you can generally jump out of the way. Well I can anyway.

12. When a cobra rears up for the first time, it is probably just having a look. If it rears up with its hood spread, OK, then it's pissed off.

13. If you are having a fight with a cobra, you're using a stick or something and have inflicted a few blows, it should have the good sense to realise it's on a loser and will back off. Again, make sure it has an easy exit.

14. There are three kinds of snake poison: neurotoxins that cause paralysis (cobra, krait); haemotoxins that melt your blood vessels (pit vipers, keelbacks); and myotoxins that break down your muscle tissue (sea snakes). Lovely!

15. You should have plenty of time to get to a hospital after being bitten by the common snakes but be warned! Rural hospitals might not have any serum! I was astonished recently to find that Takua Pa Hospital had a single shot only of anti-cobra serum. If bitten in Phang Nga's national parks, I suggest you leg it to Phang Nga Hospital which seems to be well-equipped.

And now for some precautions:

A. You will never keep a garden free of snakes, but you can keep the house free of them. We have installed self-closers on all external doors, self-closing sliding insect screen doors, and insect mesh on any opening 'twixt house and rest of the planet. Not even a mosquito can get in without permission.

B. A second line of defence in the shape of a pack of dogs (we have five) will help. Some dogs will back off, others will attack. We have a tough Thai ridgeback that regularly fights cobra - the dog's strike is faster than that of the cobra, and the dog aims to take out its guts in several strikes, timing itself to leap back when the cobra strikes back. Current score: Dog 4, Cobra 0. (We had another dog, inappropriately called Lucky, who never got it together - never kept an eye open for what the business end of the snake was doing - bitten once, treated, survived; bitten twice, we weren't around, dead.) All dogs will bark a warning, and we have noticed that the cobra will back off when there's a lot of noise going on. For some reason though, Malayan Pit Vipers seem to be deaf.

C. A third line of defence is a stock of snake serum in the fridge. It will last for up to five years. You can buy several varieties at the Bangkok Snake Farm at Baht 830 a pop. ** Dual-pricing Warning ** Take a Thai friend along when you buy it - the farang price is US$40!! Really! The serum has to be delivered intravenously, so unless you're an experienced junkie, best to find a doctor or vet to put it in.

Snakes are fine animals, and humans and snakes can live in harmony. My wife and I are still alive and unscathed. Accidents happen due to stupidity and clumsiness. Be nice to snakes and have a nice day!

• 1 month later...

continues snake story:

This morning (after our birds make many noise) I see our Iguana hit with his tail this "brown snake" ( I believe not dangerous)

The snake not survive , really amazing :) how the Iguana defend himself

[/quotethat's a rainbow water snake, non venomous. Bizarre to see your iguana kill it with it's tail shame you didn't film it...i'm glad you didn't kill it.

For those who believe stories about the king cobra, you should do some research. There is not a single record of anyone in Thailand being killed by a king cobra. They will indeed bite but they don't inject venom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Can you help me spare this snakes life? My wife and kid are lobbying for it's destruction, but I would preferto let it live if it is not dangerous, . It has been hanging around the yard, and apparently wants me to take it for a bike ride. We live on the beach if that is a hint. I looked in the snake info websites previously mentioned but unable to find a match.

If I can gain compelling evidence to verify the innocence of the suspect, I may be able to present a case for full absolution, otherwise it is the guillotine for the poor fella.

post-62975-1255141672_thumb.jpg

Not sure of it's name but no need to kill it as it is harmless. Very common snake in thailand, usually lives in trees.

Here you go:

Length: Up to 140 cm

Occurrence: The Golden Tree Snake is to be found throughout Thailand.

Behaviour/habitat:

Chrysopelea Ornata Ornattissima is a flexible snake. It can be found in forests, on plantations, in gardens and in houses. This snake is regularly found in the inner city areas of Bangkok and Pattaya. As they enjoy eating rodents, geckos and other lizards, they are often found on and in houses. These snakes are active during the day, can climb walls and are very fast.

Danger:

If they fee threatened and cannot flee, they bite straight away. The species Chrysopelea belongs to the viper family. However, the poison is so mild that it does not have much of an effect on humans.

From Common Snakes of Thailand

Edited by lordsux

Had one in the kitchen yesterday, no pic as my camera is broken.. about 1 meter in lenght, dark brown or black color and was trying to kill a frog..bit it a few times and kept following it until it got into some ants..then it retreated into/under my deck.

Wife is freaked..

To those of you who think snakes will always slither away if given the choice. Well, I can't speak for Thai snakes, but I've had a little experience (as a hiker) with snakes in the U.S. Twice I have come across rattlers who seemed to have no intention to attack, but they also had no intention of slithering away. They held their ground. Same twice or three times with copperheads. In fact, one copperhead came up to me apparently just out of curiosity. I also ran into an unknown snake out in Arches National Park that made absolutely no effort to attack AND no effort to move away.

Edited by phetaroi

You' re welcome krub.

Snake story:

About 3 years ago my aunt used to have 2 geese as pets, yes that bif white poultry in the garden. Her house is on Thonburi side of BKK. Their name were Donald and Daisy. They were clever, called the name and that one ran to her.

One day Daisy disappeared. The premise was well fense up and she didn't normally fly high...

One month later, Donald disappeared. They looked around and you can guess what they found...

One big fat Boa, 2 meters long...

She called the BKK Dusit Zoo, "Sorry Mame, catching snake is not our direct duty."

The Department of Forestry, "Well, you can considered living with it peacefully, human and snake is are not enemies, you can live together." The lady officer DID REALLY said this !!

The 191 Police, "Alright, please wait for a few minutes."

5 minutes later the local rescue volunteers came with the sack and snake catching stick, the cop on bike also came shortly after to observe.

They quickly pack up the snake and left without charge.

That day, police serve the public effectively.

The Boa is widely spread in BKK. They live near and commute by canel. Some cats in the Princess palace next to Siam Discovery were swallowed. Few years ago one took refuge in the Swiss Embassy. Those group should came from San-saeb Canel that runs between Sukhumvit and Petchburi Road.

PS: It's the Python they used for hanging on your neck for photo, it's gentle breed. But almost all of big STRAY snakes is Boa, it is aggressive and although poisonless, will try to bit you like a dog.

Nice story but Boa Constrictors are native to the Americas. So, unless there has been a mass escape from a zoo I doubt there are many slithering their way around here.

They are not Pythons.

The snake you speak of was most likely a Burmese or Reticulated Python. These snakes grow much bigger than a Boa and are common in Thailand.

I think the Thai name for snake is OOOH, That is better than trying to remember all the names, I will tell you a short but true story, As I have said on some posts here on Thai visa, I Go live in the Jungle now and then with my Thai friends. One night just before going to bed we were drinking the local rot gut Thai whisky, It was Dusk and most of us where half pisst , I lent on a plie of wood that was next to me to steady myself, Most of the Thai men shouted oooh, (Snake). Me being half pist i mist the point , I just reply ooh, They again shouted oooh . again a lust said ooh , It must have looked like some thing out of the planets of the apes, every body going ooh ooh. Well I sort of got the jist of the Conversation . i looked to my right and there about my shoulder hight was a smake I just shouted oooh and they fell about laughing , i just sh.t myself . Thats how i learned OOOH Thai for snake.