Most Single Isaan Women Want A Western Husband: Poll

george

Bagging a farang

Most single Isaan women want a Western husband: poll

More than threefifths of women in the Northeast surveyed in an Isaan poll said they wanted to marry farang husbands, mainly because of their wealth, faithfulness and respect for women.

Of 484 women living in 19 northeastern provinces surฌveyed in March and April, 61 per cent said they deemed Western men rich, 53 per cent said they thought farang men were kind and respected women more than Thai men, while 16 per cent said they wanted to marry and live abroad.

Englishmen were the favourites, gaining 32 per cent of respondents' votes, while Americans and Germans trailed behind with 21 and eight per cent respectively.

The survey found that women who were already married to foreign husbands spent a large portion (20 per cent) of their monthly income on electricity and water bills as their homes tended to be large and full of domestic appliances - another factor that attracted single, northeastern women.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-22

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It maybe that farang are generally richer (as opposed to wealthy) than the native men, who generally are don't have a pot to p**s in.

I think their maybe some 'lost in translation effect here. This must be a slap in the face for the native men as their womenfolk are effectively saying; 'You can't provide for us so we'll look elesewhere.'

Native men - Raise your game or lose your women

484 women is not really a big survey is it, when considering the geagraphical size of Isaan

I think if a reasonable study was made the percentages might be higher then 3/5th's.

Interesting they think English as No.1 when many expats think the English tourists are skinheaded drunken thugs (speaking as an Englishman BTW) :D:)

Cheers (Ooops)

:D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

For once a Survey I can totally agree with, see this daily. Over the past twenty years or so if had 20 baht for everytime I have been ask if I have a single farang friend I would be on easy street. For me I just smile say no, don't want no part of being a match maker, things can and will go wrong in any relationship don't fingers point back at me. :):D:D

484 women is not really a big survey is it, when considering the geagraphical size of Isaan

I think if a reasonable study was made the percentages might be higher then 3/5th's.

Interesting they think English as No.1 when many expats think the English tourists are skinheaded drunken thugs (speaking as an Englishman BTW) :D:)

Cheers (Ooops)

:D

Dave

What you have to remember is that the drunken skinheads rarely make it further than Pattaya or Phuket so those lovely Isaan girls only see the more gentlemanly side of us Brits.

And why not?

Look at their choices.

I was at a construction site the other day watching things going on.

They had 6 men and about 20 women pouring concrete into a hole in the deep ground making a solid foundation.

The men would take the ingredients from the ladies and dump it into the mixer and turn it on (electric) and watch it and then dump it into a big container.

The women would then line up and about 15 of them would carry the cement about 100 meters to the hole where they passed it down a line to 3 men at the bottom who would then dump it into where it was needed.

Now, to me, they easily could have moved the mixer closer to the hole (it was a huge hole and probably worked it for days)

But, i honestly think that whoever was in charge simply said, no worries, we'll just have the women carry it over there.

ALL the women were working very hard and the men were just standing around waiting for them and doing a lot of laughing.

It's this or the rice paddies (or a farang man) for their choices.

What would you choose?

While most responses so far are concentrating on the fact that falang are perceived as being wealthy and therefore a good catch, I think it is just as important to note that over 50% thought we are kinder and more respectful of women.

Given the discrimination that the darker-skinned Isarn women face in Thailand, The fact that falang are apparently colour-blind is also a powerful factor. It must be empowering to Isarn women to know that there are men in this world who appreciate the beauty of many of them and are not hung-up on how dark or light their skin.

So there is the immediate benfit of feeling wanted but also the benefit of light-skinned offspring in the future. Which is a considerable benefit for those children in colour-conscious Thailand.

Shock horror.

Women want husbands that provide financial security, don't screw around or beat them up and a nice house with modern utilities.

However, I would love to know how they phrased the question about spending 20% of income on electrical goods being an important issue?

The vast majority of thai are dark skinned,the minority hi-so stick their heads in a washing machine to whiten face.Its true that the minority middle class racist thai man look at whiter skin as a sign of class,but they finish up paying far more money in a relationship.

Seems to be a trait in BK farang men too,as the racism is spreading to non thai,and this is not good for Thailand.

This survey would be the same as many parts of the world,as engish guys are too sexy lol.Notice no scottish,welsh or irish were mentioned,how strange.

Stick it in your ear!!!

This survey would be the same as many parts of the world,as engish guys are too sexy lol.Notice no scottish,welsh or irish were mentioned,how strange.

Stick it in your ear!!!

cant reach mate,but i can touch my knees with it

I'd like to think it's because the the older Englishmen still have manners. Maybe Isaan girls ears are sensitive to shouting and elderly Englishmen still have the old stiff upper lip quality and avoid barking commands interjected with insults unlike a certain other group.................

On the other hand, the lifestyle factors that influence morbidity suggest that the English may die quicker than others so that could be an advantage to some girls.

It’s about the same in the Philippines. I did meet & married my wife in the USA and we retired here a few years latter,

Here it’s stomach economics. When those nice young women look at me I know it’s my wallet they are looking at. I just say thank you but no and keep walking. It never hurts to be nice, never know when I may need their help.

We have a big electric also and I am always trying to get it down. I am putting in ceiling fans to save on the electric bill.

At times I run my mouth a little to much about the way thing are around here and I feel bad later, I try to watch it sometimes I just get mad!!!

The vast majority of thai are dark skinned,the minority hi-so stick their heads in a washing machine to whiten face.Its true that the minority middle class racist thai man look at whiter skin as a sign of class,but they finish up paying far more money in a relationship.

Seems to be a trait in BK farang men too,as the racism is spreading to non thai,and this is not good for Thailand.

There was an even worse survey a couple of years ago conducted by the head of the maternity department in Khon Kaen who concluded that Thai women married to foreigners were losing their "Thainess" because they ate pizza and put up Christmas lights.

This survey states the obvious which would generate the same answers the world over if conducted amongst the lower income sectors of society. It is a ridiculous question when upper class/wealthy Thai's have absolutely no interest in marrying down to ask a rural woman would you rather marry a man who earns 20, 40 or even 60k baht per month or a foreigner on 25,000 GPB (or more) per year. Are city bankers on 100k+ GBP per year scouring the council estates for their bride?

The answers would largely be the same the world over.

It would be of far greater interest to know what it perceived to be wrong with Thai men than what is good about foreigners, but then that would entail a bit of introspection and wouldn't make for such a shocking headline.

Edited by Thai at Heart

While most responses so far are concentrating on the fact that falang are perceived as being wealthy and therefore a good catch, I think it is just as important to note that over 50% thought we are kinder and more respectful of women.

Given the discrimination that the darker-skinned Isarn women face in Thailand, The fact that falang are apparently colour-blind is also a powerful factor. It must be empowering to Isarn women to know that there are men in this world who appreciate the beauty of many of them and are not hung-up on how dark or light their skin.

So there is the immediate benfit of feeling wanted but also the benefit of light-skinned offspring in the future. Which is a considerable benefit for those children in colour-conscious Thailand.

To be quite honest, i feel sorry for these Thai guys because, yes, they are discriminated against. They are stricken by poverty and lack of education, that in itself must induce a sence of frustration (banduras frustration agression theory) which in turn filters down to the women in a negative way. Of course there gona belive in the perception that western men are better due to there social conditioning. But when they find out and experience for themselves that a lot of us are just as broke as the Thai men, only on a western level, which still induces the same frustration, helplesness and stress that the Thai men feel, they proberbly wonder what the f~ck their elders were talking about. At the end of the day it crosses boarders. If you want anything in life you have got to work for it. Nothing is handed to you on a plate. and that includes hapiness. Dont be fooled western men, money can't buy you love

Comment by Changian summed it up almost perfectly. But dont forget that alot of Isan husbands play a big role as well. Polygamy is accepted here and is used as a means of enriching the Thais in the NEast. Many farangs dont know that their wives are still married to one or even two Thai men . The Thai man is the silent winner. Why do you think they tolerate all these old farangs without being jealous or retaliating???? The older the farang the closer he is to dying and the quicker the Isan family gets the assets/businesses in Europe etc I am not being unfair many women even admit it. My wife has a cousin living in Germany with a Restauranteur on the Rhine. He is as old as dirt and she never stops smiling in the photos she sends home.

To be quite honest, i feel sorry for these Thai guys because, yes, they are discriminated against. They are stricken by poverty and lack of education, that in itself must induce a sence of frustration (banduras frustration agression theory) which in turn filters down to the women in a negative way. Of course there gona belive in the perception that western men are better due to there social conditioning. But when they find out and experience for themselves that a lot of us are just as broke as the Thai men, only on a western level, which still induces the same frustration, helplesness and stress that the Thai men feel, they proberbly wonder what the f~ck their elders were talking about. At the end of the day it crosses boarders. If you want anything in life you have got to work for it. Nothing is handed to you on a plate. and that includes hapiness. Dont be fooled western men, money can't buy you love

Top post and totally agree.